Salary Cap: 2014 - 2015 New York Rangers :: Roster Building / Proposal Thread Part IX

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYRangerFan*

The point about Stepan and Brassard to show that he won't be a top six player.

What need does he fill? How does he make this team better other than "he's faster than Hayes"?

Who wants Gomez in the top 6? I never said that.

Same reason St Louis on the 3rd line helped us more than St Louis on the 2nd line, matchups. We reached the cup because we had matchup advantages. Nash-Zuccarello-St Louis at RW is tough to play against. And he is also a vet who can still pass the puck and carry it.

You have a speedy guy like Gomez on the 3rd line who is faster than most teams 3rd liners and its an advantage to us. Especially with his passing ability

NYRangerFan*

Sesms like you can't even say a players name here without people acting like children. I simply said Gomez because we need a veteran 3rd line center with cup experience on this team. There are lots of guys out there but i said Gomez since he WAS available. I'm not losing sleep over it but it was just an idea. Why can't people have an opinion here that is disagreed with respectfully?

NYRangerFan*

And the name you threw out there is an awful one. Advocating for a player who isn't better than what the team currently has is a bad idea. That's not hard to grasp either.

Are we trying to win a cup? We need another center regardless of what you think. Whether its Vermette or whoever, we need a good vet center. Ribeiro would have been a nice pickup too

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
You can have your opinions here but dont be surprised when it gets criticized. Throw out names all you want but if that player doesnt make sense then someone will play the opposition against you...hence a message board.

You're still ignoring the fact that Scott Gomez was unemployed for half the season thus far. If he was that great of a commodity then some team in the NHL wouldve taken him on there 3rd or 4th line. The reality is his career is over. The Devils are a mess. They had/have injuries. They're prospect depth or at least NHL ready prospects is non-existent. They don't have a Miller/Fast/Hayes/Lindberg . If they did they all wouldve been better options than signing Scott Gomez. Gomez is hardly a 4th line player, he got lucky and stepped in **** with the Devils ship sinking.

NYRangerFan*

Fair enough. Not sure who else is out there that we can get. We don't really have assest we can give up so we need to be careful

Kakko

Formerly Chytil
Mar 23, 2011
Long Island
Are we trying to win a cup? We need another center regardless of what you think. Whether its Vermette or whoever, we need a good vet center. Ribeiro would have been a nice pickup too

You present the opinion that we need another center as though it was a fact

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Talking about our 3rd line center situation, i think Scott Gomez would have been a good addition here. Guy can still skate and move the puck.

There is no way shape or form acquiring Gomez would be beneficial --- unless we could get another team to give us another McDonagh for him:laugh::handclap::yo::naughty::D;)

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
J Moore, Allen/McIllraith and 3rd/4th for Sekera.
Glass, Lindberg/Haggerty/Tambellini/Nieves, Tampas 2nd for Vermette
Both teams need to retain about 30% salary
Cup is Ours
Throw in conditional 2016 picks if we win it all

Moore, Allen/McIllraith and 3rd/4th for Sekera.
Could work, see Canes biting and it is realistic for a rental

Glass, Lindberg/Haggerty/Tambellini/Nieves, Tampas 2nd for Vermette
Sorry, much too much.
would go Tambo + both 2nds for Vermette, a 3rd and a 4th.
side deal if they do us a favor on glass

However, I am not sure Vermette is essential, esp to warrant overpay.

Not surprisingly, I view Hayes + Miller, Moore + Lindy, higher than most.
With Stepan's overall improvement - still sucks on FOs -- we can afford to move Brass + Zuc for a premium - Hall

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple

Wrong, IMO, generally, although in fairness that has to be judged on a candidate by candidate basis.

Our C is more than fine as is, except for our FOs.
We generally over glorify our vets and are too harsh on our kids, IMO

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
Hayes is light years ahead of the normal rookie center's development track. Surprising but fact.

You have to worry about hitting a wall since he's used to 45-game seasons. The last thing you want is a 3rd line center who's tired, unproductive and inexperienced heading into the playoffs.

Can a rookie center play in the playoffs? Sure. Craig Janney was a 1st line center straight from college and got to the SCF. Joe Juneau kinda did it. Brindamour, Drury and Nieuwendyk did it too. If you're a special player, you're a special player.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Hayes is light years ahead of the normal rookie center's development track. Surprising but fact.

You have to worry about hitting a wall since he's used to 45-game seasons. The last thing you want is a 3rd line center who's tired, unproductive and inexperienced heading into the playoffs.

Can a rookie center play in the playoffs? Sure. Craig Janney was a 1st line center straight from college and got to the SCF. Joe Juneau kinda did it. Brindamour, Drury and Nieuwendyk did it too. If you're a special player, you're a special player.

The plus side is Miller is slowly gaining AV's trust... The more playing time Miller gets, the more he'll learn the game, and once he does, if Hayes is off track or can't take the responsibility, you move Miller to 3C and Hayes to 3RW or 4LW... it's not as big a problem as everyone makes it out to be...

The weakest player in the lineup is Glass and Stempniak... If Stempniak was an actual center man, we wouldn't have this issue. That said, the only thing you could do is get a 3C, put him on Hayes wing, shift Fast to 4LW, keep Miller on the 4th line....

It's a huge risk... I think we need to see where we're at when the trade deadline rolls around

NYRangerFan*

You present the opinion that we need another center as though it was a fact

It is a fact. What happens if Hayes is overwhelmed in the playoffs? Put him on the 4th line and play him 4 minutes a game? Its good to be prepared. Right now, Hayes is fine but come the trade deadline, i try to find an experience 3rd line center and another dman for a cup run. If not a center, a winger.

Kreider-Stepan-St Louis
Zuccarello-Brassard-Nash
Hagelin-Legwand/Vermette-Hayes
Miller-Moore-Stempniak

Or if we don't bring in a center, bring in another top 9 winger

Kreider-Stepan-St Louis
Zuccarello-Brassard-Nash
Hagelin-Hayes-Bergenheim
Miller-Moore-Stempniak

Another top 9 vet forward will only help this team. Vermette can even play in the top 6 if needed and we can play Brassard on the 3rd line to create matchup problems.

NYRangerFan*

Wrong, IMO, generally, although in fairness that has to be judged on a candidate by candidate basis.

Our C is more than fine as is, except for our FOs.
We generally over glorify our vets and are too harsh on our kids, IMO

More experience will never hurt heading into the playoffs. If we have a chance to grab a vet center, do it

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Brooks is right

But with the March 2 trade deadline just less than two months away, it is imperative the Blueshirts understand exactly what they have and what they might need. Which is why now is the time to go full throttle on both Kevin Hayes and J.T. Miller, kids in the lineup with untapped upside so the GM can lean more about both before going to market with limited assets to move and limited cap space with which to maneuver.

Hayes has been everything the Rangers could have imagined when they signed Chicago’s 2010 first-rounder as a free agent out of Boston College over the summer. The 6-foot-5 rookie with the soft hands is growing into his future role as a matchup power center. Maybe he’s the guy, for instance, that might be able to take down L.A.’s Jeff Carter.

http://nypost.com/2015/01/03/to-win-it-all-rangers-must-give-these-2-youngsters-a-chance/

Hayes has spoken to his family about the rigors of the NHL schedule. His brother Jimmy. Keith Tkachuk and Tom Fitzgerald are related to the Hayes boys. They are cousins. Kevin believes he can handle it.

LA had Pearson and Toffoli play a big role for their team last spring. Even AV discussed those two players for LA after the Rangers loss to LA.

Miller won two key draws on the PP in the 2nd period. Second unit PP. 3rd/4th liner. Miller centers the 2nd PP unit with Kreider and Zuccarello. They are getting some good looks with McDonagh on that unit. There is no room right now for Miller in the top 6. AV has him on the fourth line with Moore. Fasth is playing on the 3rd line with Hayes and Hagelin. That's fine.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
I'm not exaggerating in saying that Hayes has made more plays to create chances in 30 games than Richards did all last year.

I'm talking pure skill plays where he sets up linemates or d-men with quality scoring chances.

It's almost to a fault. He's always looking to pass and eventually defenses will pick up on it and read his plays. While guys like Gimour and Oates and Crosby still excel regardless, he needs to become a complete center who shoots the puck on net when he's in the position to do so.

I'm curious to see how he does against Kesler/Getzlaf and Kopitar/Carter/Richards.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Chicago wanted Hayes to become a PF left wing. Pushed him hard to become more of a banger. Extremely few centers 6'5 can play the game, Hayes is what top 3-5 in center "height" in the NHL?

Chicagos approch is understandable but Hayes is a finesse player. He ain't soft, but what he is good at is the finesse stuff. Of course I am biased but I think Hayes made the right call to dump Chicago, he must have really strong support because it's a tough situation.

I can be a bit picky, but I love Hayes.

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland
Chicago wanted Hayes to become a PF left wing. Pushed him hard to become more of a banger. Extremely few centers 6'5 can play the game, Hayes is what top 3-5 in center "height" in the NHL?

Chicagos approch is understandable but Hayes is a finesse player. He ain't soft, but what he is good at is the finesse stuff. Of course I am biased but I think Hayes made the right call to dump Chicago, he must have really strong support because it's a tough situation.

I can be a bit picky, but I love Hayes.

Yeah, like Hayes a lot too. Impressive playmaker with nice hands, great reach, lethal on the forecheck and responsible D. A little bit of Barbara this offseason (for explosiveness and first stride) and a little bit more "shoot the puck" but that will likely come. Very smart player, reminds me a little of Tomas Rundqvist but much more adapted for the NA game. Very very good pickup this offseason!

Kanneda

Aug 10, 2014
Madrid
What about Jagr? He deserves a last PO run and won't be expensive.
Imagine Hagelin-Hayes-Jagr. Lethal 3rd line :)

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Duke-Brass-Nash //I would like to spread out the scoring a bit. Duke would do well with these two. Give him a last shot at proving himself in the NHL this year, send him down if he don't take it.
Miller-Step-MSL //I think this line is better with Miller than Kreider. It would also be awsome for Miller to learn from these two.
Kreider-Hayes-Zucc //good size and skill.
Hags-Moore-Fast/Stempniak

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad