Salary Cap: 2014 - 2015 New York Rangers :: Roster Building / Proposal Thread Part IX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brooklyn Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn, of course
Hello,

What are the chances that Marc will sign in Carolina for a discount this season? My friend who is a huge Rangers fan has said that Staal was on track to be the captain / best d-man on the team but has fallen out of favor since the eye injury. What kind of salary range will this guy be signed for? 5m-6m or more like 4.5m?

Thoughts?

You overlook the fact that Marc Staal's brothers have already won Stanley Cups, Marc has not. If he doesn't re-sign with the Rangers, there will be plenty of teams with a better chance at the Stanley Cup than Carolina ready to pay him top dollar.

BarbaraAlphanse

My buy low candidate would be Yakupov. A 21 y/o top end talent playing in a black hole in Edmonton. Would be an incredible haul. He'd likely cost nickels compared to what his value should be (will be if he lands in the right situation).

Absolute animal... unfortunately he might become a bust if he's there for too much longer.

Edmonton stunted his development. He needed to work on team aspects of the game. He landed in one of the few teams that allowed individual players to pursue their own agenda on the ice. Then was probably the poster child for Eakins to make an example of.

Get him now. Price will probably never be lower.

BarbaraAlphanse

In reality however, as much as he'd be a good fit (in general) for any team that has a strong locker room and can patiently teach him how to play team hockey... this Rangers team needs size and veteran leadership.

More realistic target would be Vermette.

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest
My buy low candidate would be Yakupov. A 21 y/o top end talent playing in a black hole in Edmonton. Would be an incredible haul. He'd likely cost nickels compared to what his value should be (will be if he lands in the right situation).

Absolute animal... unfortunately he might become a bust if he's there for too much longer.

Edmonton stunted his development. He needed to work on team aspects of the game. He landed in one of the few teams that allowed individual players to pursue their own agenda on the ice. Then was probably the poster child for Eakins to make an example of.

Get him now. Price will probably never be lower.

I would agree with you, if it weren't for the fact that the Oilers management is completely out of touch with reality. MacTavish has shown time and again that he overvalues his players. Even if it means they continue to rot in that cesspool and bust, he still wants #1 OA type value for guys like Yakupov.

NYRangerFan*

And who are we moving for Yakupov? People want these kids but don't want to trade anybody good

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
You overlook the fact that Marc Staal's brothers have already won Stanley Cups, Marc has not. If he doesn't re-sign with the Rangers, there will be plenty of teams with a better chance at the Stanley Cup than Carolina ready to pay him top dollar.

I'm relatively certain one of the two Staals, or even both, will not be in Carolina anymore at the end of the year.

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
when u win like 10 of 11 games u really dont need to make a deal. the only thing i can see us doing is trying to trade for a faceoff winner at the deadline. vermette is too costly. we have 2 2nds this year? if anything sather prob sends a 2nd rounder for a decent player at the deadline.

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest
Other teams are going to be improving. There's definitely a move or two out there that could made this team better. As much as I love Hayes, we need a 3C that can win draws, since Stepan and Brassard as our 1C and 2C is pretty much set in stone. Shoring up our D depth is also a move I can see us making. We look good now, but if any of our Top-4 go down, we're in trouble.

Brooklyn Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn, of course
I'm relatively certain one of the two Staals, or even both, will not be in Carolina anymore at the end of the year.

All the more reason why Staal is not going to sign for a discount in Carolina.

In any case, I've never been one of the oh, Staal wants to play at all costs wih his brothers, even if it means giving up the chance to win a Stanley Cup (which is what the poster I was responding to seems to think).

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
Other teams are going to be improving. There's definitely a move or two out there that could made this team better. As much as I love Hayes, we need a 3C that can win draws, since Stepan and Brassard as our 1C and 2C is pretty much set in stone. Shoring up our D depth is also a move I can see us making. We look good now, but if any of our Top-4 go down, we're in trouble.

every team in the league will be worse if one of their top 4 dmen go down. we wont be giving up assets for another top 4 dman to play on the 3rd pair.

NYRangerFan*

st louis aint walking. not for the assets we gave to get him and that he only wanted to come to us.

I know what we gave up but it wouldn't be smart to let Zucc walk and hope a kid takes over. That didn't work out well in 12-13. Especially if St Louis declines all of a sudden

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest
As long as MSL wants to play, he'll be back. He's stated many times he wants to end his career here and thinks he has more seasons left in the tank. Sather, love him or hate him, is not the kind of GM to give him the boot.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
I get the idea of a 3C who can take face-offs, but I think we really need to ask ourselves if it's worth possibly stunting Hayes' development as an NHL center. Aside from the draws, he's there right now IMO. Should he be taken off that spot for the end of the season and into the playoffs, most likely with a rental to taking that spot, in order to win a few more faceoffs? I'm not sure it's a good idea. How's Miller been on face-offs? His % looks decent, but I don't recall him taking too many. Could keep him on RW on that line and switch him in for draws if Hayes doesn't improve too much before long. Aside from FO%, the only other question with Hayes is conditioning, as he hasn't even played as many games as he'll have to play if NYR go far. Thing is, a 3C for insurance isn't going to come cheap, and there's a chance they won't be needed if Hayes stays in good shape. Hard choices to make for that spot IMO. Glad I don't have to make them.

As far as D, I honestly think NYR is in a great spot. Klein is a top 4 playing third pair minutes. You can't get an entire D without a true third pairing player, and also field a good offense in today's league. Hunwick fits the system well, and is an average third pairing guy. That's enough IMO.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
I get the idea of a 3C who can take face-offs, but I think we really need to ask ourselves if it's worth possibly stunting Hayes' development as an NHL center. Aside from the draws, he's there right now IMO. Should he be taken off that spot for the end of the season and into the playoffs, most likely with a rental to taking that spot, in order to win a few more faceoffs? I'm not sure it's a good idea. How's Miller been on face-offs? His % looks decent, but I don't recall him taking too many. Could keep him on RW on that line and switch him in for draws if Hayes doesn't improve too much before long. Aside from FO%, the only other question with Hayes is conditioning, as he hasn't even played as many games as he'll have to play if NYR go far. Thing is, a 3C for insurance isn't going to come cheap, and there's a chance they won't be needed if Hayes stays in good shape. Hard choices to make for that spot IMO. Glad I don't have to make them.

As far as D, I honestly think NYR is in a great spot. Klein is a top 4 playing third pair minutes. You can't get an entire D without a true third pairing player, and also field a good offense in today's league. Hunwick fits the system well, and is an average third pairing guy. That's enough IMO.

I agree with your line of thinking, but I think the Rangers can trade for a big bodied C/RW that plays on Hayes's right side and take draws. There are some natural centers that can do that. Caps use Jay Beagle/Fehr/Brouwer that way and shelter their young centers like Kuznetsov/Burakowsky, and it's worked out well.

It also gives the Rangers a lefty righty faceoff option, and some more size and net front presence if they can get a player like that.

I really hope they get a reliable veteran 6th LD. The Rangers deeper runs in '12 and '14 were 5 deep with a guy getting sheltered minutes. The defense fatigued each time, and the sheltered players in those seasons were on the ice for OT goals against. You need guys you can trust in that role, and ever since Del Zotto regressed, the Rangers haven't had a guy that can be trusted behind McD and Staal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad