Salary Cap: 2014 - 2015 New York Rangers :: Roster Building / Proposal Thread Part IX

Status
Not open for further replies.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Hello,

What are the chances that Marc will sign in Carolina for a discount this season? My friend who is a huge Rangers fan has said that Staal was on track to be the captain / best d-man on the team but has fallen out of favor since the eye injury. What kind of salary range will this guy be signed for? 5m-6m or more like 4.5m?

Thoughts?

Well he's under contract to the Rangers, so he can't sign anywhere but here this season. The reports have been that he and the team have already discussed an extension, and at the time it was said that they weren't terribly far apart. I know everyone thinks that the Staal brothers would do anything to play together, but I haven't seen anything to indicate that Marc wants to leave a top team in the greatest city in the world to play for a mediocre franchise in a non-traditional city like Raleigh, and certainly not at a discount.

Also, the injury isn't what prevented Staal from becoming the team's top defenseman--Ryan McDonagh is what prevented that from happening.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
He isnt taking a discount for a **** team like Carolina. 6+ mill easily if he signs there.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Mark Spector ‏@SportsnetSpec 2m2 minutes ago
I will be surprised if Oilers use that 1st rd pick. Suspect it will be handy trade bait at the June draft.

Gives them another asset and they will either re-sign Klinkhammer or trade him at the deadline. Useful player

NYRangerFan*

Why does everybody think Staal will go to Carolina? Because his brothers are there? Its the weirdest thing ever

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Is it Callahan + 1st?

I guess I am little bitter that the Rangers pretty much gave up (2) 1sts + Callahan for MSL.

On a sidenote, Klinkhammer is a UFA at years end. He can play center. He is a very good bottom-6 player. PKer. I would think he would be a very good fit a the 4th line LW in place of Glass

There are quite a few people who say that Klinkhammer is a below average 4th liner. I haven't seen much of him but a guy who can't do anything besides PK just sounds like another Tanner Glass to me.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
Hello,

What are the chances that Marc will sign in Carolina for a discount this season? My friend who is a huge Rangers fan has said that Staal was on track to be the captain / best d-man on the team but has fallen out of favor since the eye injury. What kind of salary range will this guy be signed for? 5m-6m or more like 4.5m?

Thoughts?

The only indications I have read are that he wants to re-sign with the Rangers.

all of the numbers and years have been speculated in the sense that Staal (speculation) is looking 6 over 6 while the Rangers (speculation) are in the 5.5 over 6 range.

if those are really the numbers being bandied about, I do not see Staal hitting 07/01/15 without a contract in place.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
There are quite a few people who say that Klinkhammer is a below average 4th liner. I haven't seen much of him but a guy who can't do anything besides PK just sounds like another Tanner Glass to me.

I would disagree with those people. Plays wing or center. PK's. Good forechecker. Smart defensively. I think he would be a good fit on a 4th line. He isn't a 3rd liner.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
Is it Callahan + 1st?

I guess I am little bitter that the Rangers pretty much gave up (2) 1sts + Callahan for MSL.

On a sidenote, Klinkhammer is a UFA at years end. He can play center. He is a very good bottom-6 player. PKer. I would think he would be a very good fit a the 4th line LW in place of Glass

Personally, I'd rather have Callahan than Perron. so I'm not giving anything with Cally to get Perron, it would be the other way around.

However the difference between Cally and Perron is not a 1st.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
we do not need a winger

we need a center a guy that can win 50 plus % of his faceoffs and be trusted

we need a guy that can play deep into the playoffs

Yes vermette will be costly but we are in our window to win a Stanley Cup we have to finish this

look at what that msl deal did for us last year. went to the Finals and don't without making that trade. Sure we gave up a couple first big deal we walked out of that offseason with Duclair Buchnevich and Hayes.

we need to find a way to get vermette here

nash brassard zucc
kreider stepan msl
hagelin vermette hayes
miller moore fast
glass

come playoff time that's a hell of a forward group to have to play against. I say it all the time but you win championships with centers a number 1 dman a solid group of defenseman and a franchise goaltender.

stepan brassard vermette moore gets it done

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
I like the team as is but want a sekera type rental, 3rd line C, no Offense to Hayes he's been good

Resign staal , zuc and Mel takes a bonus filled 1 yr deal at a time

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
we don't need another dman let alone a top 4 dman

we have 5 really good D men and hunwick and moore are way above what most teams have for their 6th/7th

don't need sekera

all the focus should be on getting a 3C for the remainder of the year somehow and re-signing staal asap

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
Hello,

Thoughts?

Doesn't sound like your friend is a Ranger fan at all.

If Staal is going to sign a discount it would be to stay here.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
If Staal is looking for $36M over 6 years, we should look into giving him higher term like 7 years, Full NMC for the first 3 years limited NMC after that, and a cap hit around $5.15M.

Same $, more term. Front load the contract and it won't make a difference. for him pay wise.

CAPGEEK.COM ARMCHAIR GM ROSTER
CapGeek Armchair GM Roster
FORWARDS
Chris Kreider ($2.475m) / Derek Stepan ($5.500m) / Martin St. Louis ($3.875m)
Mats Zuccarello ($4.000m) / Derick Brassard ($5.000m) / Rick Nash ($7.800m)
Carl Hagelin ($2.750m) / Kevin Hayes ($0.900m) / J.T. Miller ($0.925m)
Oscar Lindberg ($0.709m) / Dominic Moore ($1.500m) / Jesper Fast ($0.925m)
Ryan Bourque ($0.563m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Ryan McDonagh ($4.700m) / Dan Girardi ($5.500m)
Marc Staal ($5.150m) / Kevin Klein ($2.900m)
Conor Allen ($0.925m) / Dan Boyle ($4.500m)
John Moore ($0.893m) /
GOALTENDERS
Henrik Lundqvist ($8.500m)
Cameron Talbot ($1.450m)
BUYOUTS
Brad Richards ($0.000m)
BONUS OVERAGE
$0
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(estimations for 2015-16)
SALARY CAP: $72,000,000; CAP PAYROLL: $71,439,275; BONUSES: $2,850,000
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $560,725

NewLife

Apr 29, 2011
Oslo
We don't need anything really. Only to keep the team intact which almost is impossible so something gotta change but that is also next season so far now nah just keep it.

Got to find an exit for Mr. Glass.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
we don't need another dman let alone a top 4 dman

we have 5 really good D men and hunwick and moore are way above what most teams have for their 6th/7th

don't need sekera

all the focus should be on getting a 3C for the remainder of the year somehow and re-signing staal asap

Have to agree with this. Hunwick is THRIVING in this system... he's incredibly fluent with his skating and can maneuver with the puck really well. I'd like to see him get 2nd power play unit time to start exercising his skating abilities more....

The only way we get an upgrade is if we can get a legitimate rental 2nd pairing rental Left handed Shot defenseman that can fit within our cap constraints and play on the 3rd pairing. Could we use that upgrade? absolutely, but let's not overthink how "weak" that position is--is it worth gutting the farm again for someone else just because they are "better" than John Moore or Hunwick? Probably not... Now, if they're better than Staal, and can come cheaply, then absolutely... but don't hold your breath

BobMarleyNYR

Rangers future on D
May 2, 2004
Alphabet
We don't need anything really. Only to keep the team intact which almost is impossible so something gotta change but that is also next season so far now nah just keep it.

Got to find an exit for Mr. Glass.

No, we absolutely need physicality to make a good run. Right now, we have no one that makes us a real ***** to play against, and that's a necessity in the playoffs, where pure skill WON'T get it done.

Could use an upgrade of John Moore... a 3C, not for faceoffs, but for insurance with Hayes--that's a legitimate concern.

Everyone keeps posting 2015-16 lineups that are exactly the same, which won't (and probably shouldn't) happen.

Teams that make absolutely NO changes at the deadline and offseason, are not successful teams. We won't be re-signing everyone.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
I'm on my phone but apparently Dubinsky left practice early and took his equipment with him, per Aaron Portzline

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad