WJC: 2014 — Canada Roster Talk (Part II)

Status
Not open for further replies.

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009
Bob Mackenzie on TSN the other night, said he has the best chance. Monahan with the second best chance and Reilly and Wilson with barely a chance.

I think it's possible the Flames let Monahan go to the WJC - in part so they can open up a spot and see what Corban Knight can do in the NHL. Knight has looked good so far in the AHL.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I think it's possible the Flames let Monahan go to the WJC - in part so they can open up a spot and see what Corban Knight can do in the NHL. Knight has looked good so far in the AHL.

If they let Monahan go it will be because the team thinks it's good for his development-not so a lesser light can get a shot.

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009
If they let Monahan go it will be because the team thinks it's good for his development-not so a lesser light can get a shot.

He's doing fine in the NHL but the Flames might not mind him going to a team with a more positive environment and some high level competition.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
This compares to last year when the Oilers let RNH go to the WJCs to "win a gold medal". Granted he was dealing with an injury but didn't really help with his overall game in reality.

He was also playing in the ahl during the lockout. The situations aren't really comparable.

A better comparison is RNH's rookie year in the NHL where his team was bad but they didn't release him to play.

The players who are released are typically ones who are playing bad/getting scratched...not the ones on bad teams. Skinner wasn't released even though Carolina sucked.

Reinhart

Jun 13, 2011
He was also playing in the ahl during the lockout. The situations aren't really comparable.

A better comparison is RNH's rookie year in the NHL where his team was bad but they didn't release him to play.

The players who are released are typically ones who are playing bad/getting scratched...not the ones on bad teams. Skinner wasn't released even though Carolina sucked.

Not that I am necessarily disagreeing with you here, but it also comes down to how management feels about the tournament itself. Feaster (and the rest of the management team) think the WJCs can be beneficial to a player. Also, the camp is usually held in Calgary.

They will just have to weigh the pros and cons. As a Flames' fan, I don't really mind either way.

I think most of the development that would benefit Monahan if he goes would be more of the self-development stuff - being one of the leaders, adjusting to new teammates again, pressure environment where one loss could mean your team is out, playing over-seas, etc. Definitely a step-down in competition and quality of line-mates.

Will be interesting to see what happens here.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012

One more example that refutes the argument, Ya, those 12 games in the NHL would be better for his overall development than some silly world championship. His development is trending nowhere. A lot of due to injuries, granted..... but he should have never been in the NHL at 18/19... I don't care that he won Rookie of the Year either.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
[/B]

One more example that refutes the argument, Ya, those 12 games in the NHL would be better for his overall development than some silly world championship. His development is trending nowhere. A lot of due to injuries, granted..... but he should have never been in the NHL at 18/19... I don't care that he won Rookie of the Year either.

I went Monahan to come. It's better for Team Canada if he does. Anything to make us better. However, I'm explaining why it doesn't usually turn out that way.

As for Skinner, I don't see what being released for WJC would have done for him. He was,playing well. His problem was been injuries. That has nothing to do with WJC. And honestly before his injury he looked pretty good this year, so you can't say his development has gone no where.

Of course, you do question hockey Canada's scouting when a guy isn't deemed good enough to make their team but wins the Calder in the NHL as an 18 year old the next season

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
This compares to last year when the Oilers let RNH go to the WJCs to "win a gold medal". Granted he was dealing with an injury but didn't really help with his overall game in reality.

Yeah, of all the players that get released by their NHL teams to play in the WJCs, it seems like most end up being mediocre or disappointing. There's probably a let down when you're going from the best league in the world to playing the best teenagers of Latvia or Denmark.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Canada has a shot to win gold, why not let the kid go? Would you rather him spend those 12 games "developing" insted of our country taking home a gold medal? :help:

There is no doubt that an NHL GM would prefer his prospect spend those 12 games "developing".

People need to keep in mind that GMs like Feaster care about one thing and one thing only - their NHL club. This is their line responsibility, what they are paid and trusted by ownership to do, and ultimately what determines whether they are fired or retained as GM.

They have no obligation to help Hockey Canada, nor to release any of their contracted players to pursue some "dream" of playing the WJC. Nor do I think the kids really want to leave their NHL club to play if they are getting regular minutes in the NHL. THAT is their dream - the NHL - not a 6 game tournament.

Typically GMs only ever release kids if they feel it is good for their development - which is almost always kids who are playing low minutes or in and out of the line up. It is better than watching from the press box and in some cases help these kids find their confidence again.

Based on how I've seen Monahan play in the NHL - he's a 100% regular and a very important one at that - there is no reason I can see for Feaster to release him. Doesn't help the Flames and to be honest I don't think it helps Monahan either. Just the fanboys who want to see their fave prospect out score everyone else's fave prospects ;)

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Canada has a shot to win gold, why not let the kid go? Would you rather him spend those 12 games "developing" insted of our country taking home a gold medal? :help:

Why not give away our 2nd leading scorer? Why not give up a guy that has 3 GWG (2 in the shootout)? He has been noticeably getting better every game with the Flames, we wouldn't let him go because he is an NHL player and needed on his NHL team how is that hard to figure out?

pckstpr31

Jul 13, 2010
CGY
Sorry, a little off topic, but anyone know if it's possible to get tickets to the gold medal game anymore?

Roughneck

Oct 15, 2003
Calgary
Visit site
He's doing fine in the NHL but the Flames might not mind him going to a team with a more positive environment and some high level competition.

I think the only reason the Flames would send him is if he hit a funk and thought the WJCs would help give him a bit of a boost before coming back.

Playing 15+ minutes a game in the NHL is more high level competition than he will ever get at any junior tournament.

arsmaster*

[/B]

Another ridiculous unsubstantiated claim.

What would staying in junior have done? Didn't be score like 70 goals his draft season (including playoffs).

BiggestLeafsFanEVER*

There is no doubt that an NHL GM would prefer his prospect spend those 12 games "developing".

People need to keep in mind that GMs like Feaster care about one thing and one thing only - their NHL club. This is their line responsibility, what they are paid and trusted by ownership to do, and ultimately what determines whether they are fired or retained as GM.

They have no obligation to help Hockey Canada, nor to release any of their contracted players to pursue some "dream" of playing the WJC. Nor do I think the kids really want to leave their NHL club to play if they are getting regular minutes in the NHL. THAT is their dream - the NHL - not a 6 game tournament.

Typically GMs only ever release kids if they feel it is good for their development - which is almost always kids who are playing low minutes or in and out of the line up. It is better than watching from the press box and in some cases help these kids find their confidence again.

Based on how I've seen Monahan play in the NHL - he's a 100% regular and a very important one at that - there is no reason I can see for Feaster to release him. Doesn't help the Flames and to be honest I don't think it helps Monahan either. Just the fanboys who want to see their fave prospect out score everyone else's fave prospects ;)

imo this is just it. i would rather rielly be playing in wjc rather than going off to wjc. and like you said, it's not the obligation of NHL gms to help a national hockey federation. i mean, is nashville supposed to release seth jones and montreal supposed to release alex galchenyuk so they can have a chance to work on their leadership skills over in malmo and go for a repeat of the gold? should the panthers release barkov for a couple of weeks because they're a bad team?

if the player is playing regularly then i think it is a step backwards to go to wjc.

as far as rielly goes if he starts getting scratched a lot then maybe my opinion will change. but for now i'd rather him stay with the leafs.

jgoud*

The only players that have a chance of being released are Rielly and Dumba since they have been scratches for their teams this season. NHL coaches don't care about the WJC and won't want to be without guys like Monohan or Mac

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
The only players that have a chance of being released are Rielly and Dumba since they have been scratches for their teams this season. NHL coaches don't care about the WJC and won't want to be without guys like Monohan or Mac

Rielly's been scratched a few times but he's been playing well and is actually on pace for a 40 point rookie season. By merit he should stick with the Leafs, but we'll see what Randy thinks.

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline

eh, if their teams are doing well (like Toronto is right now) or at least close to a PO spot, they won't be sent down.

markyj93

Sep 5, 2011
3 Points

3 points:

1. I don't understand how some people have Laughton pegged for the 4th line on Team Canada this year. I watch many Oshawa games and he is an absolute beauty. Assuming there is no Monahan, Laughton will be at worst the 2nd line C and can play in any situation you want him. He will be crucial to Canada's success.

2. I hope McDavid makes the team. I could see him get the Tavares treatment as a 16 year old where he starts out mostly on the PP and gets more responsibility when it is earned.

3. Looking at the forwards I see a huge amount of left-handed shooters. Mantha plays RW and shoots left and the only other player I could be close to a "lock" as a right handed shooter is Curtis Lazar, and he would be very useful as a center since there are few good centers that shoot right. It looks like someone might have to convert to RW, one player I could see doing this is Charles Hudon. A couple right handed shooters that come to mind are Scott Kosmachuk, Connor Brown from the OHL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad