WJC: 2014 — Canada Roster Talk (Part II)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roo Mad Bro

U havin a giggle m8?
Dec 6, 2010
PA
From another thread:

The Flyers' brass is happy with Laughton's progress. Team Canada wants him as captain of the U-20 team this winter, but he will be given every opportunity to mkae the flyers out of camp.

Damn, didn't think Laughton was that highly regarded. Now the big question is if he's going to make the Flyers out of camp or not.

couture23

Jun 23, 2012
Toronto
From another thread:

Damn, didn't think Laughton was that highly regarded. Now the big question is if he's going to make the Flyers out of camp or not.

I'm from Oshawa (unfortunately) - and I think Laughton would be an amazing choice for captain.

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
I'm from Oshawa (unfortunately) - and I think Laughton would be an amazing choice for captain.

Except that captains are generally returning players....so unless Rielly,Reinhart and Hudon aren't around (the first 2 are possibilities) I would expect one of them to be the overwhelming favorite....Monahan seems the likeliest candidate for first year letter. Having said that I am also a fan of Laughtons game...his speed and defensive game/leadership would play really well at this level imo..

Captain Clutch

May 2, 2012
I think Reinhart is a near shoe-in for Captain of the U20 team, apparently he's a natural leader and the coaches are leaning that way as well.

Lundface*

Except that captains are generally returning players....so unless Rielly,Reinhart and Hudon aren't around (the first 2 are possibilities) I would expect one of them to be the overwhelming favorite....Monahan seems the likeliest candidate for first year letter. Having said that I am also a fan of Laughtons game...his speed and defensive game/leadership would play really well at this level imo..

So the guy isn't even captain of his junior team and he's a front runner for TC captain? :laugh:

The team is filled with captains of their respective squads, no need to force the role on a kid that isn't a leader.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
So the guy isn't even captain of his junior team and he's a front runner for TC captain? :laugh:

The team is filled with captains of their respective squads, no need to force the role on a kid that isn't a leader.

Hudon was an alternate last season just like Rielly, and Reinhart's captaincy last season marked the first year he was in any sort of leadership position, meaning that Rielly's actually been in a position of leadership longer. Funny huh?

The only laughable thing here is you pretending to know anything about the guy. It doesn't matter what letter is on whose jersey; I don't know anything about who these guys are as people and neither do you.

Last edited:

Skip2myBordyloo

Stay the course
Apr 7, 2010
my guess.

C-reinhart
A-reilly
A-hudon
A-monahan

if they're around

laughton - A
drouin-A
mackinnon-A

next in line

wilson
dumba
lazar
shinkaruk

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
I think Reinhart is a near shoe-in for Captain of the U20 team, apparently he's a natural leader and the coaches are leaning that way as well.

I can't see them picking him C when he is suspended for 3 games

Mar 1, 2013
Toronto
I hope they go into camp with no captain in mind. See who steps up and takes on the biggest leadership role. Especially considering there's so many good choices. See if a returning player such as Reinhart or Rielly use their experience to help others. Or see if someone who is a known leader on their junior team such as Monahan, Laughton, Horvat, etc. step up.

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada

You new to this tournament? It's happened before many times.

StringerBell

Yeah he is. He's an assistant captain for his team, it's not like they consider him a cancer or anything. Based on how TC has historically handed out letters there's a very good chance he'll be wearing one.

mustam10

Jun 18, 2011
What do you think about the chances of Comrie, Petan and Morrissey making the team?

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario

Well, since McFaull won't be returning this year, I can see Rielly taking over that Captain's spot for the warriors, and if that's true, your argument is completely worthless.

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
Yeah he is. He's an assistant captain for his team, it's not like they consider him a cancer or anything. Based on how TC has historically handed out letters there's a very good chance he'll be wearing one.

small pet peeve-alternate....but the point rings true

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
If Laughton is there it makes sense to have him. Hes a guy with NHL experience and does everything. He'll score a goal or throw a big hit to spark the team. Reinharts suspension will stop him from getting it

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I think Comrie and Morrissey will make it. Petan has great skills, but somehow doesn't fit the mold in my mind

I like Comrie's chances but past that it is a crap shoot for Morrissey and Petan.

Lots of depth and it all comes down to who sticks in the NHL and how Sutter wants to build his team. I wasn't a huge fan of Canada's D core last year and I thought they had trouble defending in our own zone when it counted most. 11 goals against in the last two games exposed some weaknesses not the least of which was poor goaltending and too many offensive defensman on one team IMHO.

YEGJuniorFan

Dec 3, 2009
Edmonton
There is a ton of talent to choose from. I think a balanced line up like this would work great:

I am going to assume Reilly gets sent back to junior, Drouin MacKinnon and Reinhart all stick with their clubs.

Hudon - Monahan - S. Reinhart
Shinkaruk - McDavid - Mantha
Horvat - Laughton - Domi
Rychel - Lazar - Wilson
Gauthier

Reilly - Pulock
Finn - Nurse
Dumba - Pouliot
Heatherington

Fucale
Jarry
Paterson

Thoughts?

Jesus Christ Horburn

Aug 22, 2008
What do you think about the chances of Comrie, Petan and Morrissey making the team?

I don't think Petan stands a chance with natural centers like Horvat, Monahan, Domi, Lazar and Laughton (and maybe MacKinnon or McDavid) ahead of him.

Morrissey I think will make it. I think he's going to be a top four defenseman after Reinhart, Rielly and Dumba.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
There is a ton of talent to choose from. I think a balanced line up like this would work great:

I am going to assume Reilly gets sent back to junior, Drouin MacKinnon and Reinhart all stick with their clubs.

Hudon - Monahan - S. Reinhart
Shinkaruk - McDavid - Mantha
Horvat - Laughton - Domi
Rychel - Lazar - Wilson
Gauthier

Reilly - Pulock
Finn - Nurse
Dumba - Pouliot
Heatherington

Fucale
Jarry
Paterson

Thoughts?

The Flame fan in me wants to see Poirier there but that looks real good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad