WJC: 2014 — Canada Roster Talk (Part II)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MyNameIsNobody*

This is what I think as well.

He's probably a bit ahead of what Oleksiak was when drafted. But no that much.

Yes, and Oleksiak was brought in to clear the net (even though i dont remember him clearing anyone....) there is a role for guys like Oleksiak and morin

Mathletic

Feb 28, 2002
Ste-Foy
MyNameIsNobody, I understand part of your frustration ;) I too get a bit annoyed when people bash the Q on any occasion they get. That said. I love the Q, wish the best to all players. I think the league is better than some people think. That said, there's still quite a few D's I'd consider before Morin. The guy's not terrible. Far from it. But he's still a project. I think so far this season, there's quite a few D's around the country who have been having stronger seasons. Guys like Heaterington, Severson and who have you are all playing great hockey this year and they may not even be on that final team.

Not to mention that Canada isn't expected to invite as many players this year. From what I heard, they will only invite a few players who truly have a shot at making the team and that's it. We won't see 50 some players in camp this year.

Also, we shouldn't get carried over with just this one game tonight. Sure the OHL didn't look great. Not to mention that Russia was in its 3rd game in 4 nights. However, guys like Nurse, Pelech and who have you are all having terrific seasons so far and this can't be overlooked. In the same way we shouldn't start selling Poirier short because he didn't stand out in those 2 games against the Russians.

MyNameIsNobody*

Yes, and Oleksiak was brought in to clear the net (even though i dont remember him clearing anyone....) there is a role for guys like Oleksiak and morin

Same reason i want Marc Methot on the olympic team...he can skate and can clear the NET...we need guys who specialize in net clearing...

would you want to have open heart surgery dont by a podiatrist ? podiatrist are doctors......:shakehead

We need Defense men who specialize, we cannot take Letang and ask him to play the role of Net clearer....

Anchor Town*

Same reason i want Marc Methot on the olympic team...he can skate and can clear the NET...we need guys who specialize in net clearing...

would you want to have open heart surgery dont by a podiatrist ? podiatrist are doctors......:shakehead

We need Defense men who specialize, we cannot take Letang and ask him to play the role of Net clearer....

Guys like Weber and Seabrook clear the net just fine, there's no place for a guy like Methot.

MyNameIsNobody*

MyNameIsNobody, I understand part of your frustration ;) I too get a bit annoyed when people bash the Q on any occasion they get. That said. I love the Q, wish the best to all players. I think the league is better than some people think. That said, there's still quite a few D's I'd consider before Morin. The guy's not terrible. Far from it. But he's still a project. I think so far this season, there's quite a few D's around the country who have been having stronger seasons. Guys like Heaterington, Severson and who have you are all playing great hockey this year and they may not even be on that final team.

Not to mention that Canada isn't expected to invite as many players this year. From what I heard, they will only invite a few players who truly have a shot at making the team and that's it. We won't see 50 some players in camp this year.

Also, we shouldn't get carried over with just this one game tonight. Sure the OHL didn't look great. Not to mention that Russia was in its 3rd game in 4 nights. However, guys like Nurse, Pelech and who have you are all having terrific seasons so far and this can't be overlooked. In the same way we shouldn't start selling Poirier short because he didn't stand out in those 2 games against the Russians.

Out of the 3 games Ive seen, i haven't seen any net clearers...the closest i have seen is morin, at least invite and give him the experience for next year...lets see what hes made out of...

Question:
what 5 Defensemen do you think can Skate/transition from D to Offense and which 2 Big Defense men can clear the net? total of 7

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Out of the 3 games Ive seen, i haven't seen any net clearers...the closest i have seen is morin, at least invite and give him the experience for next year...lets see what hes made out of...

Question:
what 5 Defensemen do you think can Skate/transition from D to Offense and which 2 Big Defense men can clear the net? total of 7

What about guys that can do both....Like, Nurse?

MyNameIsNobody*

What about guys that can do both....Like, Nurse?

Nurse is a lock...but i dont think he will be called upon for his defensiveness....i dont know which role the coaching staff have for Nurse...

Mathletic

Feb 28, 2002
Ste-Foy

Question:

As for the defensive game, I'd take at least Reinhart, Nurse, Severson, Pelech and Heaterington ahead of Morin for now. As for the offensive game, there's just too many to name.

sickest flow bro

Jun 3, 2008
Halifax

Question:

1- Dumba (hearing he'll get a release)
2- Nurse (combo)
3- Pouliot
4- Morrissey
5- Koekkoek

Add Rielly if he gets a release

1- Ekblad
2- Reinhart

MyNameIsNobody*

As for the defensive game, I'd take at least Reinhart, Nurse, Severson, Pelech and Heaterington ahead of Morin for now. As for the offensive game, there's just too many to name.

no problem there...we will see how Heaterington Severson do in WHL vs the Russian team....Pelech was unnoticeable tonight....not sure if that is good or bad thing...Finn wasn't great...there was no one that was good actually...

MyNameIsNobody*

1- Dumba (hearing he'll get a release)
2- Nurse (combo)
3- Pouliot
4- Morrissey
5- Koekkoek

Add Rielly if he gets a release

1- Ekblad
2- Reinhart

By the way, where did you hear that, as he went or is going over his 10 game tryout with Minnesota ...????

DKQ

Generic User Title
Jun 17, 2012
Press Box
Few times, vs. Oshawa last Sunday. I'm hoping Rielly is there so there wont be a need, but I don't see a problem with him being the 7th

He's not very good. He had decent flashes in his draft year on a horrible team, was awful last year and is now a turnover-machine with good skating and a plus shot. I wouldn't put him anywhere near the Canadian team, especially over players like Severson, Pulock, Pelech, Finn, etc.

Mathletic

Feb 28, 2002
Ste-Foy
no problem there...we will see how Heaterington Severson do in WHL vs the Russian team....Pelech was unnoticeable tonight....not sure if that is good or bad thing...Finn wasn't great...there was no one that was good actually...

Pelech being unnoticeable is a good thing ;)

That said, it's not like Morin is completely out of the mix either. It's not like 6'6 215 D's who can actually play hockey are a common thing.

MyNameIsNobody*

Pelech being unnoticeable is a good thing ;)

That said, it's not like Morin is completely out of the mix either. It's not like 6'6 215 D's who can actually play hockey are a common thing.

I wish Montreal could have made a deal to get MANTHA or GAuthier or Poirier...instead we got stuck with a player who will probably turn into a dud Mcarooon

Im fuming over that pick...

Mathletic

Feb 28, 2002
Ste-Foy
I wish Montreal could have made a deal to get MANTHA or GAuthier or Poirier...instead we got stuck with a player who will probably turn into a dud Mcarooon

Im fuming over that pick...

So am I. I was a big fan of Mantha at the draft. I thought the Habs had what they needed to trade up and get him. That said, from my understanding they had little to no interest in him anyways.

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario
Didn't follow his coaching career in Kitchner and I made no comment on his coaching record with the Rangers; I only commented on what I saw...and from what I saw from the WJHC, he was out of his element from the Selection Camp on...I didn't like what I saw or heard from him

And you are absolutely correct about that. From the second Spott was announced as head coach, I barely felt like watching the tournament.

Raisy

Oct 27, 2003
He's not very good. He had decent flashes in his draft year on a horrible team, was awful last year and is now a turnover-machine with good skating and a plus shot. I wouldn't put him anywhere near the Canadian team, especially over players like Severson, Pulock, Pelech, Finn, etc.

So you're saying you haven't seen him play much either and don't know what you are talking about.
Last year he missed the last 2.5 months of the season and it could be argued that he did not fully heal from his surgery the year before. I did not see last night's game, so I won't comment on it, but for Windsor this year he has been fantastic; he is their 1d and plays in all situations. Not sure where you got that he is a turnover machine, because that has not been the case since he arrived in Windsor.
Having said that I have no idea whether he makes the junior team, but he could have a shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad