WJC: 2014 — Canada Roster Talk (Part II)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Torts

Aug 21, 2009
Ontario
I don't know why everyone hates on the "Q's" defensemen so much. They may not have the hype of the guys in the OHL or WHL, but I've watched each of the Super Series games so far (and attended the game in Gatineau) and I thought as a corps the Q's defensemen significantly outplayed the OHL's defenseman... Were they incredible? No. But did they hold their own. Yes.... I Thought Fournier, Weegar and Walcott, especially, were composed, made smart choices in their own end and moved the puck really well in transition. They're also often accused of being "soft", and although they weren't throwing devastating hits, I thought they played tough and more importantly, smart. When they checked, they did so with a purpose.

I'm not saying that they deserve to make Team Canada simply because of their performance, but I think it would be a shame if at least 2 of them weren't invited to World Junior Camp to get a closer look vs the other kids from across the country. I've never been big on projection (I.E. where are guy is drafted). I want to see guys put up, or shut up. I thought the "Q's" D-men showed up and played their ***** off and, ironically, the most highly touted of the group (Morin) was probably the shakiest of the bunch (until Brouillard played as a sub in the 2nd game).

I watched the OHL's defensemen closely the other night, and for the most part, I wasn't impressed. I'll be watching closely again tonight, hoping they show up a lot better in Sudbury.

I can see Fournier and Morin going to camp. I really liked Fournier's movement and play in the super series games but IMO will need some dmen to have BAD camps and for Dumba not to come back to have a chance at making it.

Craz1bo1

Feb 9, 2013
Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie 29s

In Sudbury tonite for OHL vs RUS Subway Super Series. WJC final camp roster released one week from today. Last chance for OHLers to impress.

MyNameIsNobody*

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie 29s

In Sudbury tonite for OHL vs RUS Subway Super Series. WJC final camp roster released one week from today. Last chance for OHLers to impress.

After watching tonight's oho subway series in which they lost

Wjc lines I'm not impressed from what I saw at defence in the ohl
Forward group is going to be hard cause they are almost all equal and nobody really stood out

Line 1 hudon drouin mantha
Line 2 whl whl whl
Line 3 laughton mcdavid whl
Line 4 Anderson gaunce horvat rychel <-- pick any 3
13th. Baptist /domi <--- pick 1

1st pair. Ekblad nurse
2nd pair whl whl
3rd pair. Whl whl
7th. Morin

Last edited by a moderator:

MyNameIsNobody*

I can see Fournier and Morin going to camp. I really liked Fournier's movement and play in the super series games but IMO will need some dmen to have BAD camps and for Dumba not to come back to have a chance at making it.

I've said all along that morin should get an invite.

Ohl defence are really not good

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Before the WHL series with Russia here's how I see it :

Hudon-Drouin-Mantha
Shinkaruk-Reinhart-Domi
Rychel-Laughton-Pourier
Carrier-Horvat-Lazar
McDavid

Reinhart-Pouliot
Matheson-Severson
Nurse-Pulock
Bowey

Fucale
Paterson

Didn't include NHLers.

scout97

Jul 17, 2012
Really liked baptistes game today, i thought he was the OHLs best player today. He a great U-18 tournement as well. He might have earned himself an invite to the wjc camp.

Pelech was pretty solid today. Hes not the fastest skater but hes strong in the corners and plays his position really well. Hes having a great season this year as well. He was at the camp last year so he will likely be there again this year.

Anderson played well both games. Big, strong, physical, and skates pretty well. Hes come a long way in the past 3 years and i would be suprised if he dosent get an invite to camp.

Horvat has been the OHLs most consistant player. Theres really no downside to his game and i think hes a lock for the wjc team unless he has a terrible selection camp which i doubt will happen.

Last edited:

Lessy

Jul 21, 2004
Sudbury
Curious to see the type of team Sutter elects to take but I trust him a lot more than the previous coaches. The past few years (last year in particular) Canada has selected an all star team with the top scorers and little to no role players. Picking this team in the past Sutter has shown he understands how to pick the best team rather than a group of scoring forwards, most of whom are undersized perimeter players. Hopefully we go back to a grinding/energy line or 2 to go with the elite scorers. Throw in a high upside offensive guy as the 13th.

Thoughts on the game tonight...

-Pelech and Ekblad must have seen 30+ minutes. Hockey Canada likes Pelech as he was among the final cuts last year. Wouldn't surprise me to see these two guys make it as a pairing.

-Nurse seemed to struggle - just a game but still worth noting. I can't see him not getting an invite to camp at the very least but will need to be much better.

-First time seeing McDavid live and frankly I wasn't that impressed. If he didn't have McDavid 97 on the back he would have been tough to notice. Can fly and has great puck skills no doubt but you can tell he's 16 at times. Doesn't look Crosby level to me at that age. I don't think he should be considered a lock - great fit as 13th forward though.

-Scott Laughton didn't look very good himself. Seemed lazy/fatigued and lacked his usual edge.

-Loved Josh Anderson's game. Lesser known prospect but if I didn't know any better he looked a ton like a whiter, thicker Wayne Simmonds flying around on the forecheck. I'm not saying he needs to make the team but good teams have these types of players.

-Connor Brown looked absolutely horrendous. Play died on his stick every single shift it seemed.

-Surprised at all the flak Ekblad is getting on here. He was an absolute beast tonight.

Mathletic

Feb 28, 2002
Ste-Foy
So far I'd guess (without NHL'ers)

Hudon - Drouin - Mantha
Laughton - Horvat - Lazar
Rychel - Petan - Reinhart
Anderson - Girard - Poirier
McDavid

Reinhart - Pulock
Morrissey - Severson
Pelech - Ekblad
Bowey

Comrie
Fucale
Paterson

... with Reinhart's suspension, I wouldn't be surprised if Canada chose to take 8 d-men and no extra attackers

Last edited:

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
So far I'd guess (without NHL'ers)

Hudon - Drouin - Mantha
Laughton - Horvat - Lazar
Rychel - Petan - Reinhart
Anderson - Girard - Poirier
McDavid

Reinhart - Pulock
Morrissey - Severson
Pelech - Ekblad
Bowey

Comrie
Fucale
Paterson

... with Reinhart's suspension, I wouldn't be surprised if Canada chose to take 8 d-men and no extra attackers

I'd like to see a Poirier - Horvat - Lazar line.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
With Anderson's play lately he might be earning himself an invite and possible spot as the big physical guy. Maybe makes some noise in camp and makes it like Foligno did

wishywashy19

Dec 14, 2011
Curious to see the type of team Sutter elects to take but I trust him a lot more than the previous coaches. The past few years (last year in particular) Canada has selected an all star team with the top scorers and little to no role players. Picking this team in the past Sutter has shown he understands how to pick the best team rather than a group of scoring forwards, most of whom are undersized perimeter players. Hopefully we go back to a grinding/energy line or 2 to go with the elite scorers. Throw in a high upside offensive guy as the 13th.

Thoughts on the game tonight...

-Pelech and Ekblad must have seen 30+ minutes. Hockey Canada likes Pelech as he was among the final cuts last year. Wouldn't surprise me to see these two guys make it as a pairing.

-Nurse seemed to struggle - just a game but still worth noting. I can't see him not getting an invite to camp at the very least but will need to be much better.

-First time seeing McDavid live and frankly I wasn't that impressed. If he didn't have McDavid 97 on the back he would have been tough to notice. Can fly and has great puck skills no doubt but you can tell he's 16 at times. Doesn't look Crosby level to me at that age. I don't think he should be considered a lock - great fit as 13th forward though.

-Scott Laughton didn't look very good himself. Seemed lazy/fatigued and lacked his usual edge.

-Loved Josh Anderson's game. Lesser known prospect but if I didn't know any better he looked a ton like a whiter, thicker Wayne Simmonds flying around on the forecheck. I'm not saying he needs to make the team but good teams have these types of players.

-Connor Brown looked absolutely horrendous. Play died on his stick every single shift it seemed.

-Surprised at all the flak Ekblad is getting on here. He was an absolute beast tonight.

i agree with your assessment.
Didn't like Laughton either or Nurse for that matter but they will be good NHL ERS.
laughton will make it. Nurse will have to wait until next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad