Kitchener Rangers 2023-24 Off-Season Thread (Part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Voter outcry never stopped them before. Expropriation is a part of life in the city.
Son works at a company on Borden Ave /Coutland . Was expropriated by the city recently along with the company beside them. One is already vacated ready to be demolished. Theirs will be as soon as the city builds their new building in another area of the city within 2 years. No choice gotta go. The other end of Borden is also being demolished. If they want it they take it. Houses out by the 401 are expropriation already for LRT.

Last edited:

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Son works at a company on Borden Ave /Coutland . Was expropriated by the city recently along with the company beside them. One is already vacated ready to be demolished. Theirs will be as soon as the city builds their new building in another area of the city within 2 years. No choice gotta go. The other amendment of Borden is also being demolished. If they want it they take it. Houses out by the 401 are expropriation already for LRT.
The widening of highway 8 under Franklin boulevard took a bunch of houses, businesses and a street.

Expropriation happens. It may not specific to the Aud area for a hospital because it isn’t targeted, but if it was….

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
It's not a city or Region choice..

That decision is with GRH and SMGH. The Aud is not a site they are considering.
I would say it's likely a provincial decision where to build the hospital since health care is under their jurisdiction.

For a while I thought the Aud may be the location. I think it will be around U of W. It's going to be massive. By the time they get around to it this will have to last to 2100.

Matttheleaf

Apr 18, 2019
I would say it's likely a provincial decision where to build the hospital since health care is under their jurisdiction.

For a while I thought the Aud may be the location. I think it will be around U of W. It's going to be massive. By the time they get around to it this will have to last to 2100.
Our region really lacks the appropriate sized hospital with the specialized equipment that it needs. Too many of our serious health issues are shipped off to places like Hamilton and London.

GeoBlue

Oct 21, 2017
Kitchener
Son works at a company on Borden Ave /Coutland . Was expropriated by the city recently along with the company beside them. One is already vacated ready to be demolished. Theirs will be as soon as the city builds their new building in another area of the city within 2 years. No choice gotta go. The other end of Borden is also being demolished. If they want it they take it. Houses out by the 401 are expropriation already for LRT.
I still think that stretch along the LRT from Mill to Hayward would be the ideal location for a new arena. I know someone on here mentioned that they want a London model where the arena would support the downtown business but with the "mini community" going up in the old Schneiders land, I could see the businesses "coming to the Aud" with the right zoning.

Picture it! Lot's of space there. Have the LRT put in an extra station that would be INDOORS. Seconds from the Expressway. It checks all the boxes.

Reactions: bobber

Gondrex

Apr 10, 2017
Still 2 months away, but anybody have any thoughts on the upcoming import draft at this point? i.e. how we draft, DOB, position / type of player(s) ? Perhaps they go with one forward, one D ? Will be interesting on what kind of impact this will have on the line-up come September.

Jives

Jan 6, 2018
Still 2 months away, but anybody have any thoughts on the upcoming import draft at this point? i.e. how we draft, DOB, position / type of player(s) ? Perhaps they go with one forward, one D ? Will be interesting on what kind of impact this will have on the line-up come September.

Can’t see them drafting a 2006. Would have to be a 2007 or 2008 to go with the young core. I see them taking best player available as we have spots available for the taking when the 2007s are 19 years old.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Last year we were able to make two selections in the import draft because we had two NHL drafted imports on our protected list in Mesar and Hamara. This year, we have one NHL drafted player in Sale, and we still hold the rights to Pobezal. So, I assume that we will make one selection if Pobezal is still in our plans.

As far as who we take, I would imagine we would take the best player possible no matter the position. Bring in a high-end player at any position and it’s easy to find space for him.

But if we do draft by position, I would suppose they draft a D.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Can’t see them drafting a 2006. Would have to be a 2007 or 2008 to go with the young core. I see them taking best player available as we have spots available for the taking when the 2007s are 19 years old.
As age goes. I’d probably prefer an 07. But I’m not so concerned about drafting an 06. I know the goal is to be elite by 2027. But if our 07 group is as good as it’s supposed to be, we will have a pretty good team in 25–26 as well. Likely a post season home ice calibre team. If we were to draft an 06 import, and he reports and is high end, that helps the 25–26 team big time. Gets us experience in the postseason etc. etc. Then next year‘s import draft, maybe you draft an 07 or 08. Then by the time 26–27 rolls around, that import would be in his 18-year-old season, Sale’s age this year, and would be a big part of that team.

If we did draft an 06, and he and Pobezal reported this year, in September, we’d be moving out Sale to make way. That’s not that big a deal because next year‘s a sell off year anyway and I would assume he’ll be on the block.

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
Pobezal at the Under 18 World Juniors.....to date. Team Slovakia 3 losses and 1 huge win against Norway 11-1 where Pobezal had a hat trick. Is it time for Pobezal to introduce himself to North American hockey?

1714653659196.png

Reactions: East Avenue Bully

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Once built, St. Mary's would be closed and the land dedicated to other needs in the community (read into what you like...)
What exactly is involved in repurposing the land from an old hospital? I believe it's a brownfield site. In the Soo, our new hospital has been open for ~15 years and the old site has not been repurposed yet. I think there is a lot more to it than just knocking it down and building whatever you want in it's place.

Reactions: East Avenue Bully

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Farwell says there is another major tenant wanting to come into the Aud on his show today. Besides Rangers and Titans. Not at liberty to discuss who it would be. My guess it's the Leafs if they lose tonight. Kidding don't attack!
NLL Lacrosse?

LostRangers

Feb 1, 2023
For the Rangers the Aud at it current state is just fine. How many games sold out? I don’t know to be honest but it doesn’t seem to be worth it when it seems to me (someone can confirm im sure) 90% of games are not sell outs. We are going to add a huge cost for 10% of the games. To me that makes zero sense.
The Mayor says in the article that I read that sellouts have been the exception as opposed to the rule, so they feel a makeover is more important than growing the capacity. Would tend to agree.

Matttheleaf

Apr 18, 2019
They did apply to house the Toronto Rock during the Hamilton arena situation. Makes the most sense
I would love to see the NLL here. I know that before hamilton allowed the Rock to come back that they were going to play in Mississauga so I wonder if that means that has fallen through for next season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad