OT: 2013 Ottawa Concert Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northern Neighbour

Feb 27, 2008
somewhere south of the equator
Wife and I have been there every day, and I've only missed a bit more than an hour total. Love the all-day weekends to discover new music.

Balkan Beat Box were great last night. It was like being at a house party with close friends and just dancing the night away, although most of us were strangers.

Loon Choir, a local band, have gotten better as live acts and they're maturing into a very good band. They have a great future ahead of them.

SilverSeven

Apr 16, 2007
Ottawa, Ontario
Neil Young and Crazy Horse have pulled out of Folk Fest. I know quite a few people who were buying full passports just for him.

I am very disappointed. Ill probably never get to see him now :(

Id also heard a number of people saying that he isnt touring a new album right now, so it likely would have been a "hits" show.

Evil Crow

Jul 18, 2010
It'll be interesting to see if they try to replace Crazy Horse or if they cancel the day and refund.

I'm hoping they replace with The Hip or Neil Young.

McManked

Ooh to be a Gooner
Jan 16, 2011
Edmonton, AB
It's OK, Neil Young doesn't even play his good songs anymore...

EDIT: Oh, if he was playing all the hits than that is heartbreaking...

Smash88

Mar 15, 2012
Ottawa
Neil Young and Crazy Horse have pulled out of Folk Fest. I know quite a few people who were buying full passports just for him.

Id also heard a number of people saying that he isnt touring a new album right now, so it likely would have been a "hits" show.

Yeah we bought the VIP tickets pretty much just for him.. It will be cool to see Vampire Weekend and I've heard good things about the Avett brothers, but it's definitely not going to be the same now..

BK201

Apr 11, 2011

ahhh hits show would be sweet new album is absolutely terrible show, I've seen it it's aweful.

McManked

Ooh to be a Gooner
Jan 16, 2011
Edmonton, AB
Vampire Weekend was awesome live at Osheaga.

I have nothing but amazing things to say about the Avett Brothers, they are amazing IMO.

SenzZen

RIP, GOAT
Jan 31, 2011
Ottawa
It's OK, Neil Young doesn't even play his good songs anymore...

EDIT: Oh, if he was playing all the hits than that is heartbreaking...

Sorry, but something about your initial comment reminded me of what lots of people told themselves after Alfie left. Such a shame they won't be coming- I was holding out hope that Poncho would have healed in time once I heard they had canceled their European tour.

00:00 Intro
00:20 Love and Only Love
13:35 Powderfinger
18:55 Born In Ontario
23:12 Walk Like A Giant
37:10 "No Rain" Woodstock"
37:43 The Needle And The Damage Done
39:54 Twisted Road
43:52 Singer Without A Song
49:06 Ramada Inn
1:04:40 Time Machine - ****in' Doubters
1:06:41 Cinnamon Girl
1:12:10 ****in' Up (1:16:45 NEIL PLAYING ON THE FLOOR)
1:25:25 Time Machine Pt 2
1:26:28 Mr. Soul
1:32:47 Hey, Hey, My, My
1:43:00 Farmer John
1:53:36 END

I agree that their new album was kind of a farce, though.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
ahhh hits show would be sweet new album is absolutely terrible show, I've seen it it's aweful.

I'm going to respectfully disagree.

I can understand why people might not want to go to a show touring new material, that makes a lot of sense and is fine. But what really got to me was people going to see a Neil Young show on a tour specifically for his new album (which is a very good album), and then complaining that he played new material. It's asinine.

The show was good. Had I not heard the new album, I probably would have not liked it nearly as much.......but I also wouldn't go to a band's show on a tour promoting a new album, and not expect to hear songs from that album....

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Hey Rosetta was great at Ritual last night. I love that venue. They played a bunch of new unrecorded songs that sounded great. Their third studio album should be interesting.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Hey Rosetta was great at Ritual last night. I love that venue. They played a bunch of new unrecorded songs that sounded great. Their third studio album should be interesting.

I used to work next door, at the Russian bar, when they opened

I can't stand that place, they gave us a really hard time when they arrived on the scene

Evil Crow

Jul 18, 2010
I think Folk Fest is to announce the Neil Young replacement today. Here's hoping it's decent.

Evil Crow

Jul 18, 2010
Yeah it could have been worse.

Not really anyway it wasn't going to be at least a bit disappointing.

Spire2000

Jan 22, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I've been in and out of this thread with bits of info as I have them. I love live music and have the fortune of knowing two people closely connected with the live entertainment scene in Ottawa. When the Neil Young cancellation was announced, I was bummed and spoke to a friend who works closely with Bluesfest. I was assured that they are working on a good replacement, but may also have an amazing one.

The good one came to pass (City and Colour) but the amazing one didn't. I learned on the weekend who Monahan almost had booked. Bruce Springsteen.

It seems that Bruce will be between a NA set and a European set and has some open dates. Negotiations took place but ultimately Bruce decided to head to Europe early for some time off.

Damn

Evil Crow

Jul 18, 2010
Thanks for the information!

Would have a been a pretty big get, but I'm personally happier with Gordon Lightfoot.

TheOriginalSilf*

I'm not sure how diverse the Sens board is in terms of musical endeavors but I feel as though I should share this information for those who may not already know and would like to know.

Over the last few days some fairly big names in the (progressive)metal(core) scene announced they're hitting up Ottawa this Fall.

"Protest the Hero" + "Architects" + "Affiance" + "The Kindred" -
THU/NOV 07 - OTTAWA, ON - RITUAL

"Periphery" + "Born of Osiris" + "Dead Letter Circus" + "Twelve Foot Ninja" -
FRI/NOV 15 - OTTAWA, ON - RITUAL​

Beyond upset that I won't be in Ottawa for either date.

Smash88

Mar 15, 2012
Ottawa
If anyone wants to go to City and Colour tonight I have 2 of the VIP tickets (Just like the Empire Grill section at Bluesfest) that I wont be using. Just looking for face value back.

$110 for both tickets. They are hard tickets

Pothier

Aug 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
If anyone has tickets to Friday night (September 6th) that they are looking to sell please let me know!

I've heard good things about Patti Smith and City and Colours performances tonight. Tomorrow should be a good show too, I really enjoyed Vampire Weekend's latest record.

Smash88

Mar 15, 2012
Ottawa
I was quite impressed with Vampire Weekend. Not the biggest fan of their music, but they did put on a great show and they sound very good live.. Few bands can sound that good live.

Kendrick Lamar on the docket tonight, not sure what to expect, not usually into rap, but the best shows from Bluesfest the past few years have been hip hop shows, IMO (The Roots, Lupe)

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I wanted to see the Sheepdogs on Saturday but looks like I'll be out of town.

Would probably be filled with drunken university students anyway.

Ohhh Franco

Jun 28, 2006
First two nights of Folk Fest have been nothing short of outstanding. Both City & Colour and Vampire Weekend put on great shows - as I expected.

Really looking forward to Kendrick Lamar tonight!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad