OT: 2013 Ottawa Concert Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
Belle & Sebastian were great! Loved that they invited some of the audience to dance with them on stage. Too bad they overlapped a bit with Sharon van Etten, meaning I missed a little bit of both. SvE was absolutely magical. Now I'm even more upset I missed her the first time she came to Ottawa.

I'm afraid to say Neko Case left me a bit cold, but it could be because I didn't get close enough to the stage.

Northern Neighbour

Feb 27, 2008
somewhere south of the equator
Yesterday was a fantastic day for music - from the weather to the acts.

We saw a bit of the "She's the One" contest. Anne Vriend, who eventually won, was great.

Camp Radio from Ottawa was superb. I had never heard of them before, but they impressed. They were like Dinosaur, Jr., with much of their songs reminiscent of "Farm".

Justin Townes Earle was great. The guy behind me asked him to play "Can't Hardly Wait", and JTE replied, "Don't tell me what to play. I'm a professional. You have to trust me." Of course, JTE closed the set with "Can't Hardly Wait".

Amadou and Miriam created a great dancing atmosphere with their take on Afrobeat. The crowd was pretty good, dancing the rhythms and music.

Fitz and the Tantrums put on a really good show. The crowd was fantastic. The band was energetic, lively, and engaging.

We were close enough for Neko's case, as we were able to worm our way relatively close. Her set was fine, but she's better off on the smaller, more intimate stages. The other problem was the crowd. All the Dixie Chicks fans sitting in their lawn chairs did not help create an environment conducive for a live show.

I only caught a bit of Belle and Sebastian, but missed the dancing part. My wife stayed for the whole thing and said they were tremendous. Ugh, too bad I missed most of their show.

I left early to get a good spot for Sharon Van Etten with my friend. Her show was a lot harder than I first saw her. My friend from NYC, who has seen her several times, said that was the most rocking show he's seen her play. Great show. I would like to see her extend some songs with jams. Nonetheless, I was not disappointed.

At that show, a young lady who was quite drunk kept on yelling things, such as, "Did you eat a bug?" She was pleasant enough, although a bit annoying at times. However, SVE played a long. My wife and I met her when she was first here, and she is really nice and genuine.

Today, it's suppose to pour rain so dress appropriately.

Jiggernaut

Mar 20, 2006
Stittsville, ON
I gotta disagree with what a lot of people are saying about the Black Keys show. I love them, but was thoroghly disappointed. I understand the sound issues at the beginning were out of their control - so I don't fault them for that. I just felt it was a 'robotic' performance.

They went up there, just played the songs - with little to no jamming, variations or crowd interaction. It was like listening to their albums...just live. About an hour into the show people were literally streaming out. I could see how that performance would not have garnered any new fans.

Glad that I got to see them, just disappointed with the overall show.

littleD

People leave at all times of all shows. I would say about 90% it's factors other than the music.

With time constraints on stage, your choice is more crowd interaction, or more music. What are they going say? "Clap your hands!!" "It's nice to be back in.. (Psst, what city are we in)... OTTAWA!!!"

Last edited:

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Paul McCartney played 3 freaking hours. I am still stunned. It was midnight and he was still going! Gotta say, awkward seeing Alfie signage up still. What a show and an unforgettable experience.

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
Paul McCartney played 3 freaking hours. I am still stunned. It was midnight and he was still going! Gotta say, awkward seeing Alfie signage up still. What a show and an unforgettable experience.

incredible that he can still sing and move around like that. He played the first 2 and bit hours with no rest what so ever, truly a legend.

McManked

Ooh to be a Gooner
Jan 16, 2011
Edmonton, AB
I was going to Fun. to please my father who's a big fan.

I assumed because their songs sound so "flawless" that they wouldn't be that great live. Wrong. Damn, that might have been the best concert I've ever been to.

Herc Man

AmandaHugincis
Jan 11, 2007
Nepean
Can anyone confirm if it ended on time this evening (11 PM)? Having a debate with someone.

We left at ~11:15 and Fun was still playing. I could still hear them up on Preston at 11:30.

Not my style of music but a great performance anyhow. Wife really liked them.

Smash88

Mar 15, 2012
Ottawa
Missed Wu-Tang. I'm sure they'll be back sometime in the next 20 years.

Guys on CHez this morning were saying beer prices have gone up from the beginning of the festival. Anyone notice?

Yeah last night it was $6. The first night it was $5.75.. The people working in the tents had no clue why it went up.

koreaboy

Oct 14, 2010
Saw rush in Hamilton on Saturday night. Excellent, excellent concert. Buckle up, Ottawa.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
I was going to Fun. to please my father who's a big fan.

I assumed because their songs sound so "flawless" that they wouldn't be that great live. Wrong. Damn, that might have been the best concert I've ever been to.

My 11 year old son loves Fun. and was gutted that Paul McCartney was the same night, but he was over the moon last night. He sings/plays piano and loves singing "Carry On" but also "Let it Be". So he was good either way! He is going to get a chance to see B.B. King on the 14th as he is part of the "Be in the Band" showcase.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Funny story last night. Our seats were at 220, basically right on top of the stage to Paul's left so we had a good view of GA. There was, what looked to be a 12-13yr old girl, maybe 14? She basically re-enacted those girls from the Ed Sullivan show. One hour, still going. Pulling her hair, bouncing off beat and wiping tears from her face. 2 hours, still going, the whole section is pointing at her as you can see her cheeks purple from exhaustion. We're taking sidebets as to when she collapses. She finally stopped at , like, 11:50. In the third encore, props to whoever that was!

Sat in the most dead section ever, 220. But more than half were ancients and it was kind of expected to a degree, but many were roccking out. I think the lady in front of me had a heart attack at the beginning of "live and Let Die" when the explosions started. I have never seen such intense pyrotechnics indoors!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad