Proposal: 2013 Offseason: UFAs, Trades, and Potential Buyouts | Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
I can't believe people are buying the load of ******** Dreger and the Leafs are peddling in any way at all.

As a scientist involved with the LHC said when asked about the 'risk' of blackholes being spawned: "There's also a chance dragons spawn from it".

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
There's this process called negotiation

It usually takes a while and involves a lot of back and forth as well as lowball offers mixed in with shots for the moon

I wouldn't pay attention to the rhetoric, we got enough of it during the lockout

John Holmes*

The only people that loyalty matters to in professional sports are the fans, and even that is questionable.

It's business. It's a job. If Ottawa offers Alfredsson $3 Million and someone else offers him $6 Million....who do you think he is going to sign with?

Let me attempt a metaphor that most of you should be able to relate to.

McDonalds is paying you $3.45 an hour. Burger King likes the way you make fries, and they offer you $4.15 an hour.

What are you going to do?

You could tell your boss at McD's that you have an offer and you'd like a raise.

Then he can hem and haw and feed you a line about the economy and a budget, then you leave and he replaces you with someone that will work for $3.45 an hour and shut up and be happy about it.

You switch paper hats, and on payday you are about $0.70 an hour happier than you used to be.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
The only people that loyalty matters to in professional sports are the fans, and even that is questionable.

It's business. It's a job. If Ottawa offers Alfredsson $3 Million and someone else offers him $6 Million....who do you think he is going to sign with?

McDonalds is paying you $3.45 an hour. Burger King likes the way you make fries, and they offer you $4.15 an hour.

You could tell your boss at McD's that you have an offer and you'd like a raise.

Then he can hem and haw and feed you a line about the economy and a budget, then you leave and he replaces you with someone that will work for $3.45 an hour and shut up and be happy about it.

You switch paper hats, and on payday you are about $0.70 an hour happier than you used to be.

You don't know aflie then judging by what you are saying. You do know that he deferred his salary so that the others players would get payed when the team went bankrup. He has also taken many pay discounts before. He is in fact loyal to the team and both his actions and interviews confirm that. So please stop with the nonsense that loyalty only applies to the fans.

John Holmes*

You don't know aflie then judging by what you are saying. You do know that he deferred his salary so that the others players would get payed when the team went bankrup. He has also taken many pay discounts before. He is in fact loyal to the team and both his actions and interviews confirm that. So please stop with the nonsense that loyalty only applies to the fans.

I know he did all those things, and I know that he also got a front loaded contract and nobody expected him to actually play out the last year of it.

Now he is at the end of the line. This is probably going to be his last contract. I expect he will ultimately sign a deal with Ottawa, but you'd have to be naive to think that he is going to turn down a much bigger offer if he gets one.

Say Dallas or Pittsburgh or Boston decides they want Alfie and they are willing to pay him substantially more than Ottawa can or will.

You think he turns that down?

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
I know he did all those things, and I know that he also got a front loaded contract and nobody expected him to actually play out the last year of it.

Now he is at the end of the line. This is probably going to be his last contract. I expect he will ultimately sign a deal with Ottawa, but you'd have to be naive to think that he is going to turn down a much bigger offer if he gets one.

Say Dallas or Pittsburgh or Boston decides they want Alfie and they are willing to pay him substantially more than Ottawa can or will.

You think he turns that down?

I don't think any team will offer him 6 million. He is not worth that much anymore hate to say it. I heard selanne made around 4 million on his last contract. I expect alfie to get the same. I fully expect him to sign with ottawa. The only way i see him being traded is at the trade deadline if ottawa will not be in the playoffs.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
I expect $5.5 mil for one yr or $5 mil for two yrs for Alfie.

Two year contract is bad idea for the sens. If we sign him to a 2 year deal and he decides to retire after next season, we will be stuck with his cap hit i believe. If we sign him, we will sign him on a one year contract.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON

That's the worst analogy I've ever read. Loyalty to a fast food franchise doesn't really compare.

In any event, another team would have to overpay because Alfie would give Ottawa an opportunity to match or come close.

And that's just not going to happen going into a full season after showing well in a vastly shortened one.

Mercurial

#lalala
Oct 29, 2009
Two year contract is bad idea for the sens. If we sign him to a 2 year deal and he decides to retire after next season, we will be stuck with his cap hit i believe. If we sign him, we will sign him on a one year contract.

Don't think they have the over 35 rule any more. Not able to front load, so I doubt its a big deal.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Don't think they have the over 35 rule any more. Not able to front load, so I doubt its a big deal.

I am not really smart when it comes to these, I am just going by what other sens fans have been saying about if the sens signed him to a two year deal.

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
If Alfedsson had just put up 50 points in 40 games and the Senators had missed the playoffs, I could conceive of a team paying him top dollar and the Senators having a hard time justifying spending 6+ million on the guy.

In reality, Alfredsson is coming off a 26 point season which, while respectable, isn't going to get him paid like some are worrying.

There's going to be an agreement and it's going to be reasonable for BOTH sides. Knowing that Alfie wants to play for the Senators gives Murray leverage. The only reasons we're hearing this ******** about playing for other teams is because Alfe's agent is making sure B. Murray knows Alfredsson CAN play somewhere else and is probably trying to get Murray to stop lowballing him.

danishh

Dec 9, 2006
YOW
Nope. With the new CBA, if a player retires, regardless of age, it counts against the cap.

what? no.

there are two applicable rules.

35+: if a player signs a multiple-year contract at age 35 or above, all years stay on the cap regardless of when they retire.

cap-recapture: if players with long-term (6+ years) front-loaded contracts retire early, the cap 'savings' during their contract are charged over the remaining term of the contract (and can be split between multiple teams if the player was traded over the course of his contract - cap recapture is charged against the teams based on the amount of cap benefit they got).

stevrock

Jun 9, 2013
If Alfie's concerns are about family, you really think he's going to be signing anywhere else?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Great Britain vs Finland
    Great Britain vs Finland
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $400.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Kazakhstan vs Slovakia
    Kazakhstan vs Slovakia