Proposal: 2013 Offseason: UFAs, Trades, and Potential Buyouts | Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rodzilla

Aug 31, 2010
Canada
I asked the question in the other thread before it got closed, would you guys draft Nichushkin ? awesome power forward with soft hands, quick stride and great agility

McManked

Ooh to be a Gooner
Jan 16, 2011
Edmonton, AB
Early lock there Q.

DO YOUR JOB.

And yes, I'd draft Nichushkin but he's going to be long gone when we pick, and I wouldn't give up a **** ton of assets to get him.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I asked the question in the other thread before it got closed, would you guys draft Nichushkin ? awesome power forward with soft hands, quick stride and great agility

If we were drafting high enough. He won't be there when we draft unless we move up though.

Emerica

May 29, 2010
From Elliotte Friedman's 30 thoughts:

24. The other interesting one is Marian Hossa, who was very good until a back problem slowed him down. This is purely an educated guess, but I wondered if Ottawa Senators GM Bryan Murray might approach the Blackhawks to see if he is available. Things did not end well between Hossa and the Senators in 2005, but maybe time heals the wound. He would be a perfect fit for Ottawa, but that's harder to see now.

WhiteLight*

Early lock there Q.

DO YOUR JOB.

And yes, I'd draft Nichushkin but he's going to be long gone when we pick, and I wouldn't give up a **** ton of assets to get him.

wishaw_2378039b.jpg

Qward is Q. Manked is James Bond.

Rodzilla

Aug 31, 2010
Canada
If we were drafting high enough. He won't be there when we draft unless we move up though.

No I know, but you'd have to consider moving up to get him, what would you be willing to give? would you give one of our top 4 D? or a package with good prospects like the 3 for 1 T.Murray talked about

McManked

Ooh to be a Gooner
Jan 16, 2011
Edmonton, AB
The Hossa thing is intriguing.

It's entirely plausible, IF and only IF Melnyk was OK with committing to Hossa's contract for the duration.

The problem is that it prevents Hossa from being a "medium-term" Senator. Why? Because either the Sens would only have him for one year and exercise a compliance buyout after one year, or they'd have to commit to Hossa until 2021. If the Sens waited for the Hawks to buy him out and managed to sign him as a free agent, they could set a more reasonable term on the contract (3 years for example) and maybe give him more money to compensate for the lack of term.

I don't know which I'd prefer.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
No I know, but you'd have to consider moving up to get him, what would you be willing to give? would you give one of our top 4 D? or a package with good prospects like the 3 for 1 T.Murray talked about

I would. I'm in the minority though -- I've advocated for moving up for the 7th overall using Cowen as the main piece because I think one of Lindholm/Monahan/Nichuskin would be worth it. That said it's not something we necessarily need to do.

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
Would you guys take a flyer on Ryan Malone? Hes 33, had a horribad year, has 2 more years at 4.5 (2.5 in salary) but Tampa is willing to add a pick to avoid buying him out.

I think it would be a decent depth move if we did something like a 6th or 7th for Malone and a 3rd.

Power forwards tend to break down about his age, but for hi cost, its a relatively low risk, medium reward situation.

Evil Crow

Jul 18, 2010
The Hossa thing is intriguing.

It's entirely plausible, IF and only IF Melnyk was OK with committing to Hossa's contract for the duration.

The problem is that it prevents Hossa from being a "medium-term" Senator. Why? Because either the Sens would only have him for one year and exercise a compliance buyout after one year, or they'd have to commit to Hossa until 2021. If the Sens waited for the Hawks to buy him out and managed to sign him as a free agent, they could set a more reasonable term on the contract (3 years for example) and maybe give him more money to compensate for the lack of term.

I don't know which I'd prefer.

I doubt crazy Uncle Euge will commit to Hossa's near 8 million for the next three years.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Would you guys take a flyer on Ryan Malone? Hes 33, had a horribad year, has 2 more years at 4.5 (2.5 in salary) but Tampa is willing to add a pick to avoid buying him out.

I think it would be a decent depth move if we did something like a 6th or 7th for Malone and a 3rd.

Power forwards tend to break down about his age, but for hi cost, its a relatively low risk, medium reward situation.

Not me. I think we have enough players that can step in next year that are just as good if not better already. We need high end skill for the top 6, not another 2nd-3rd tweener.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Getting Hossa back would be BONKERS

It could also allow the Hawks to retain Bickell

Melnyk will never agree to it though

McManked

Ooh to be a Gooner
Jan 16, 2011
Edmonton, AB
Not me. I think we have enough players that can step in next year that are just as good if not better already. We need high end skill for the top 6, not another 2nd-3rd tweener.
I agree.

I'd only add a forward if they're a surefire top 6 player with 50-60+ points as an essential guarantee.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Blum might not be qualified could be an interesting pickup

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Blum might not be qualified could be an interesting pickup

I actually talked about Blum earlier in the year. I think that he would thrive in our system with his skating and smarts. If he's actually not qualified, or even if he is, I think Ottawa would be smart to go in after a guy that has a ton of talent coming off a pretty down year. Low risk high reward IMO.

Tampacuseforever

Nov 3, 2012

And that would give a teammate for JOB to hang out in the bars with. He's done all he would do is take away playing time from a young guy. IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad