Proposal: 2013 Offseason: UFAs, Trades, and Potential Buyouts | Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
The possibility of Alfredsson signing somewhere else is real.

I don't see why he'd have to uproot his family either. September to April / May is not that long. Either way the guys are on the road half the year anyway.

Kids will be in school. Wife will do whatever it is she does.

Have you heard him interviewed about retirement? Spending time with his family was a big check mark in the retirement column of that decision table. I really doubt he'd sign somewhere else.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

I don't see why he'd have to uproot his family either. September to April / May is not that long. Either way the guys are on the road half the year anyway.

What exactly leads you to believe there is a threat of him signing with another team? Asid from the two being appart on the financials (which is to be expected when they only started negotiating late last week), there is little indication that he's looking to move on.

McManked

Ooh to be a Gooner
Jan 16, 2011
Edmonton, AB

You really blow my minds sometimes.

Do you just blatantly ignore quotes from Alfie?

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
I think there'a a better chance at a two year deal than there is for Alfredsson to sign somewhere else.

Murray has always been very honest and open with the media and yesterday he was talking about a multi year deal for Alfredsson. My assumption is that a multi-year deal has also be discussed. It makes sense too. Ottawa can take a huge "cap recapture penalty" if Alfredsson retires and Ottawa can push salary into next season when we have more budgetary room.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Briere is fine but don't want too many older guys. I think Murray thinks that too from his pre draft interview

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
Rumor on the fan590 was that after we lost to the rangers in round 1 of the playoffs in 2012 UM still lost 12 million dollars on the sens.

I don't know what happened this year.

According to Forbes, Melnyk's debt load on the Sens and arena was ~$129M in 2012. The cost to service this debt would be significant, specially for a business operating in a small market with potentially capped ticket prices and saturated sponsorships.

The interest charges on this debt could easily turn a positive Operating Income into an loss once interest and other charges are taken into account.

If the reports are true that Melnyk lost $12M on the bottom line of the balance sheet of the Senators in 2012, then it is more than likely due to the debt load, not the business itself.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
According to Forbes, Melnyk's debt load on the Sens and arena was ~$129M in 2012. The cost to service this debt would be significant, specially for a business operating in a small market with potentially capped ticket prices and saturated sponsorships.

The interest charges on this debt could easily turn a positive Operating Income into an loss once interest and other charges are taken into account.

If the reports are true that Melnyk lost $12M on the bottom line of the balance sheet of the Senators in 2012, then it is more than likely due to the debt load, not the business itself.

I thought the arena and the team were run as separate entities; if you're taking the cost of servicing the arena's debt into the operating income, would you not also have to take into account all the other revenue sources associated with the arena? I was under the understanding that the arena was a money maker, while the team was not...

I could be way off base as I haven't looked at the numbers though.

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
Alfie has a blank check I imagine in the sense that he gets to pick a number he's happy with and the Sens will have no trouble agreeing. It's his team, Karlsson is on it, his family is here, there's actually no reason to worry (and many aren't so it's good).

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Alfie has a blank check I imagine in the sense that he gets to pick a number he's happy with and the Sens will have no trouble agreeing. It's his team, Karlsson is on it, his family is here, there's actually no reason to worry (and many aren't so it's good).

If this were true, wouldn't he be signed already?

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Apparently according to tan radio on the main board Ottawa and Nash close to a deal

Probably Blum?

BK201

Apr 11, 2011
bet It's not greening unless Sens are clearing space out. i think a draft pick.

ThaShow

Feb 29, 2012
Gatineau
The Oilers called the Penguins to see if they were interested in trading Marc-Andre Fleury and the sense is that he isn’t going anywhere.

The Penguins will likely let Pascal Dupuis go to free agency. They could also move James Neal, who would interest the Senators.

Stonewall

Jan 14, 2013
Kostitsyn has already committed to the KHL this year. Avangard Omsk. He better not be a target.

Oh, nvm then. Unless we could get him for a worthless prospect and try to get him to stay one more year.

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
If we're doing a deal with Nashville, It's got to be for one of their surplus defensemen.

They were overflowing BEFORE adding Seth Jones

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
You really blow my minds sometimes.

Do you just blatantly ignore quotes from Alfie?

I think the context may change in regards to any quotes Alfie has made over the years.

Should this contract negotiation becomes tedious with an organization that has publicly stated over and over how important Alfie is to the team, the organization and the community, it is possible he decides his family's future lies elsewhere?

Will Alfie feel having to negotiate the difference between $4-4.5M and $5-5.5M an indication any of those words had real meaning?

I think the Sens run a risk of insulting Alfie if they can't close a deal in short order, if that happens what he has said in the past means little IMO.

Do I expect this to happen, hopefully not.

WhiteLight*

If we're doing a deal with Nashville, It's got to be for one of their surplus defensemen.

They were overflowing BEFORE adding Seth Jones

Not really

Weber
Josi
Gill
Ellis
Klein
Jones
Bartley
Blum

:dunno:

Maybe it's Blum but he's not really NHL calibre. Otherwise they have 7 including Jones

EDIT - Oh yeah Ekholm may be NHL ready. I think it's Klein. Nashville can run with Weber, Jones and Ellis on the right.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Briere is fine but don't want too many older guys. I think Murray thinks that too from his pre draft interview

Agreed.

We really have to be careful looking at bringing in any guys north of 30. We really have to make sure these guys are at the peak of their fitness level and aren't 1-2 season away from losing their legs. It's so easy to look at stats and highlights from 3, 5, 7 years ago and thinking a change of scenery will bring that back...it rarely happens. You just end up with a bloated contract for an aging player you can't give away.

I'd rather bring up a guy from Bingo or sign a minor leaguer in his early 20s to fill a hole and live with some growing pains over blowing the budget for a guy who past his prime. That is, until we are legit contenders and 1 piece away form being league favorites (which we are at least 4 years away).

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Safe to say if we get a forward, it's one and one only and that he'll be a top-sixer(like Briere) or a potential top-sixer(like Stalberg).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad