Proposal: 2013 Offseason: UFAs, Trades, and Potential Buyouts | Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

WhiteLight*

Well, as far as Cowen and Gryba,

Corsi For % Together: 63.4
Gryba w/o Cowen: 47.2
Cowen w/o Gryba: 52.6

It was a very small sample (46:36 mins) so Goals based stats are of little use, and as a whole it could be anomalous, but you asked.

Wiercioch out of the top 6 is a numbers game, he has to push Methot, Cowen or Phillips out or one of them to the right side. Since it was talking about getting a right winger, it made little sense to push someone to the right side in the scenario.

As for what makes Sanguinetti better than him, again, most of it is which side he play on, not the player themselves, but Sanguinetti has very good possession numbers on a very bad possession team; career FF 59% vs Team FF 49.4%. The difference in on ice Sv% is staggering between the two, .897 vs .936, it's highly unlikely either one keeps those numbers over their careers, they'll both regress to the mean to some degree or another.

Are the goal based stats awful? Could be anomalous, but really they did not complement each other well at all and were very mistake prone. Not only that, but they were the 3rd pair at the time and were being somewhat sheltered.

It makes a lot of sense to switch a LD to RD if he is a better player. I'm all for signing a RD to be the 7th D though.

Possession numbers obviously aren't sufficient to determine a player's usefulness. What if Sanguinetti is awful without the puck?

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Are the goal based stats awful? Could be anomalous, but really they did not complement each other well at all and were very mistake prone. Not only that, but they were the 3rd pair at the time and were being somewhat sheltered.
They had 2 goals against, one goal for. The problem is 1 goal makes a huge impact on the numbers, meaning that random chance plays way to big of a role. Also worth noting is that Cowen had just come of a very long term injury, mistake prone is to be expected.

It makes a lot of sense to switch a LD to RD if he is a better player. I'm all for signing a RD to be the 7th D though.
Not all players can adjust well from one side to the other. It only makes sense if the player you switch sides is better on that side than the player he replaces. Not sure how well Wiercioch would do on the right side as it tends to be harder defensively and that's his area of weakness.

Possession numbers obviously aren't sufficient to determine a player's usefulness. What if Sanguinetti is awful without the puck?

This is true, and Sanguinetti's defensive play is his weakness, hence why he is available. My thought though is that people are somewhat blinded by the goals against not seeing the other variable contributing to that (on Ice Sv%).

Anyhow, if we were to sign him, it would likely be as a 6/7 guy to give competition to Wiericoch. As of right now, if I had to guess, Wiercioch's competition is Borowiecki and perhaps Ceci as a long shot.

koreaboy

Oct 14, 2010
Would absolutely love, and I mean love, getting hoss back. I still absolutely adore that guy. I honest to god think I'd burst into tears if we got him. Not gonna happen, but oh boy that would be a dream.

With letang signed to that deal, hard to see how they can keep Neal. We should be sniffing around to get him.

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
When you factor in Letang's last contract into his current contract and shave off the extra years at the end, he's actually paid very similarly to Karlsson (actually a little less than Karlsson)

I think it's pretty fair personally.

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
Would absolutely love, and I mean love, getting hoss back. I still absolutely adore that guy. I honest to god think I'd burst into tears if we got him. Not gonna happen, but oh boy that would be a dream.

With letang signed to that deal, hard to see how they can keep Neal. We should be sniffing around to get him.

Bob Cole would have a heart-attack

Yokai

Mar 29, 2011
Ottawa
Does this mean they will be too poor to afford to re-sign Matt Cooke? Really hope some team in the West signs that *****bag and we don't need to run the risk of watching Ottawa players get injured four times a year.

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
Does this mean they will be too poor to afford to re-sign Matt Cooke? Really hope some team in the West signs that *****bag and we don't need to run the risk of watching Ottawa players get injured four times a year.

I hope WE sign that *********. And keep him nailed to the press box. And don't let him skate in practice.

Marty Straka

HFBoards Senior Citizen
Aug 11, 2009
Toronto, ON
He's exactly what Murray has been looking for... Young (21), signed long term (6yrs), and his cap hit is very manageable considering his potential (5.25Mil)

Rodzilla

Aug 31, 2010
Canada
He's exactly what Murray has been looking for... Young (21), signed long term (6yrs), and his cap hit is very manageable considering his potential (5.25Mil)

Sign me in, what a beast he is!! power forward, will be a great one (already is), insane release! Him and Clutterbuck and we're good!

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Evander Kane is one of my favourite players in the league. If we got him I wouldn't care about anything else we did this summer. Please get this done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad