GDT: 2013 NHL Entry Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
I agree with you Daigle. The Bertuzzi pick is one I liked and one the Wings would not have made 3 years ago. They would not have even signed him if he was a ufa. What canged was seeing how effective Shaw was in the playoffs, especially against the B's and seeing what a beast Lucic was. If Bertuzzi can be a more productive Shaw at the NHL level than this was a great pick.

Andrew Shaw had 22 goals and 54 points in 66 games in his draft year. He also went in the 5th round. Also made the NHL by the age of 20.

Wolverine Wings

#thankyoubasedgod
Feb 27, 2012
Detroit
So you like Tyler Bertuzzi because of what Andrew Shaw did in this playoff? Despite the fact that Tyler was the 207th rated NA prospect? Do you need to phone home before the FBI agents come and take you from us? Can I offer you some Reeses Pieces ?

:loony:
I don't see how that is illogical. Andrew Shaw was a pain in the ass and getting someone like him may prove to be valuable.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
So you like Tyler Bertuzzi because of what Andrew Shaw did in this playoff? Despite the fact that Tyler was the 207th rated NA prospect? Do you need to phone home before the FBI agents come and take you from us? Can I offer you some Reeses Pieces ?

Be nice or I'm going to give the NSA everything we have on you! Shaw was taken 139, so it's not exactly a reach to say he could compare to him, even if you think Bertuzzi was taken too early - that's sort of irrelevant to the comparison.

SportsballChic

Jun 18, 2013
Toronto
Just because it happened once doesn't mean it won't happen again. We've got the same chance of getting a Lucic out of Bertuzzi as we do of getting another Datsyuk/Zetterberg out of the 5th round. It's just so unlikely to happen that we really even shouldn't discuss it.

We won't be able to judge his true potential until after next season. If he does indeed breakout then we'll forgot about the players around him & focus on him & what he could be. If he sinks then the players around him become amplified & we would be left wondering.

This. Right now the only evidence we have that Tyler Bertuzzi can do anything is a bunch of youtube videos of him fighting (and mostly losing might I add afaict).

Plus Lucic had some pretty obvious physical gifts that barring some sort of miracle Tyler is not going to gain in the next umm infinite years.

bababooeyII

May 28, 2013

Funny, looks like your hero Ken Holland and I agree on something and you're the one on the outside. :sarcasm:. I like Tyler Bertuzzi because I think he can be BETTER than Andrew Shaw, and I saw how effective Shaw was in the playoffs. I also think that he will continue to fill out, and if he does and continues to improve the Wings have a legitimate power forward on their hands. It's refreshing to know that at least when he laces up the skates no one will have to wonder if he'll show up or just coast through a game alas many other picks.

Wolverine Wings

#thankyoubasedgod
Feb 27, 2012
Detroit
This. Right now the only evidence we have that Tyler Bertuzzi can do anything is a bunch of youtube videos of him fighting (and mostly losing might I add afaict).

Plus Lucic had some pretty obvious physical gifts that barring some sort of miracle Tyler is not going to gain in the next umm infinite years.
He just grew from 5'9'' to 6', he has some pretty big relatives who is to say he'll stop now.

We shall see next year, that's all I can say.

SportsballChic

Jun 18, 2013
Toronto
Be nice or I'm going to give the NSA everything we have on you! Shaw was taken 139, so it's not exactly a reach to say he could compare to him, even if you think Bertuzzi was taken too early - that's sort of irrelevant to the comparison.

Look, all I'm saying is that they are not the same player. And we didn't pay a 5th for our guy, we paid the 58th pick.

It's like opposite land sometimes man; the guy was rated 207th, he actually fell off the board at points last year.

Comparing him to Andrew Shaw is like saying that Kyle Quincey is kinda like Doug Harvey because they both played defense and wore red sweaters.

zecke26

Jan 16, 2003
just came over twitter:

Helene St. James ‏@HeleneStJames 2m

Red Wings dir. of scouting, Joe McDonnell, described Tyler Bertuzzi as "a bit of a rat," compared him to CHI's Andrew Shaw.

bababooeyII

May 28, 2013
Look, all I'm saying is that they are not the same player. And we didn't pay a 5th for our guy, we paid the 58th pick.

It's like opposite land sometimes man; the guy was rated 207th, he actually fell off the board at points last year.

Comparing him to Andrew Shaw is like saying that Kyle Quincey is kinda like Doug Harvey because they both played defense and wore red sweaters.

Why can't he be compared to Shaw? I think he could be even better, he's going to be bigger.

TheNextDaigle

Mar 1, 2013
Just because it happened once doesn't mean it won't happen again. We've got the same chance of getting a Lucic out of Bertuzzi as we do of getting another Datsyuk/Zetterberg out of the 5th round. It's just so unlikely to happen that we really even shouldn't discuss it.

We won't be able to judge his true potential until after next season. If he does indeed breakout then we'll forgot about the players around him & focus on him & what he could be. If he sinks then the players around him become amplified & we would be left wondering.

You could say that about all picks outside of top10 pretty much. My point with dragging in Lucic was to say that everyone would harp on that pick too, if it was made by the Red Wings in the second round today. I am not saying Bertuzzi is anything like Lucic, but people here need to realize that they mostly have ZERO clue about what is going into the DRWs draft process. Bertuzzi pick most likely speeded up as another team was looking to snatch him, and they obviously felt he was worth the 2nd round pick.

Edit: I am not defending the pick of Bertuzzi in itself because I haven´t seen him play regularly, but trying to give a reasonable explanation to all those saying we should have waited to the 7th round

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease

Well the Wings obviously think he could fill a Shaw role. So don't be surprised if folks from the internet agree.

In general, it's not worth getting too invested in prospect debates, since it makes us look like fools years later 90% of the time. ;)

bababooeyII

May 28, 2013

bababooeyII

May 28, 2013
I repeat you people have ZERO evidence he's anything like Shaw at all. Shaw scored in the minors FFS.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=37671

[B]Helene St. James ‏@HeleneStJames 2m

Red Wings dir. of scouting, Joe McDonnell, described Tyler Bertuzzi as "a bit of a rat," compared him to CHI's Andrew Shaw

Some of you guys are really taking this personal, like Bertuzzi dated your girlfriend or something. What was clear is that the Wings look at Bertuzzi as a potential Andrew Shaw, Matt Cooke type of player, something they don't have enough of in this organization. Did they reach for the pick? Sure, but maybe they figured that another team was keen on him and was going to take him. For whatever reason they took him, I like the pick and I can't wait to see how he develops, along with the others. Sorry if some of you took offense to the pick, take it up with Holland and Co.

Last edited:

TheNextDaigle

Mar 1, 2013
I have actually seen him pay a few games, I work for a Canadian bank and have clients in Ontario, so I have seen a few of these guys play. Why? what difference does that make?

All the difference in the world, as most of the people dismissing the work of Red Wings front office today haven´t even heard, much less seen several games by the picks they so easily and happily rip apart.

Gyldenlove

Jun 10, 2013
Helene St. James ‏@HeleneStJames 2m

Red Wings dir. of scouting, Joe McDonnell, described Tyler Bertuzzi as "a bit of a rat," compared him to CHI's Andrew Shaw.
[/QUOTE]

So best case scenario he will improve more than Shaw since he is starting from a worse point and still only be a bottom 6 guy? There is a reason Shaw was a 5th round pick and a not a 2nd round pick, those guys do in fact grow on trees.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad