GDT: 2013 NHL Entry Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ennui

I like our team?
Aug 13, 2008
Living in the past
www.fsb.ru
Ignoring my immediate temptation to lash out at something given the apparent choice to ignore a plethora of skill players, only time will tell whether or not the post-Mantha picks for the Wings will evolve to become more than low production grinders.

Sure seems like a heaping helping of mediocrity, for the most part, a bunch of players chosen significantly ahead of where they were projected.

I'd wager that Ken Holland will need a splint for his toes after the amount of tire kicking he likely has accomplished.

bababooeyII

May 28, 2013
[/B]So best case scenario he will improve more than Shaw since he is starting from a worse point and still only be a bottom 6 guy? There is a reason Shaw was a 5th round pick and a not a 2nd round pick, those guys do in fact grow on trees.
[/QUOTE]

Again, I have no idea why this is so personal with some people. The Wings took him higher than he was ranked, clearly. Why? Who knows, maybe they thought his upside is huge and that another team was going to take him with their pick.

Ennui

I like our team?
Aug 13, 2008
Living in the past
www.fsb.ru
DAyum

Height: 196 cm / 6'5" Weight: 105 kg / 231 lbs

Those features are nice peripherals, but the real reason for him being chosen is obvious:

169718979-mitchell-wheaton-poses-for-a-head-shot-prior-gettyimages.jpg

Kid's got Realgud hair.

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto
Wow 6'5" 230lbs, anyone know if this kid has any offensive upside, how's his skating?

Here's a scouting report on him

Well established on the Kelowna Rockets blueline playing in most situations, Not much power play … Making the most of opportunity early in his first WHL campaign and NHL draft year… Size can’t be taught and Wheaton has begun to use his to erase top competition, when his head is in the game stick is active, clogs lanes and closes gaps very well… At 6’5, 225 lbs Wheaton towers over most with good timing and “head on the swivel†awareness, ability to lean on opposing forwards and keep them to the outside is an asset, must continue to gain comfort at the WHL level and show a little more snarl to go with his size…. Not blistering but solid speed, Wheaton’s stride is smooth and efficient going both forward and backwards, first steps and overall top speed need work, but quality of stride shows potential for skating to improve. Not a high scoring D-man but can get a shot through to the net, doesn’t gamble but carries the puck well and makes good first pass, a true stay-at-home presence.

Detroit Sports*

If I never heard of a player at all I prefer him to be European, especially Russian or Swedish :)Am I wrong for thinking this?

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Is it just me or does it seem like the move to the East is drastically changing the way we draft?

and I don't like it btw....

TheNextDaigle

Mar 1, 2013
So best case scenario he will improve more than Shaw since he is starting from a worse point and still only be a bottom 6 guy? There is a reason Shaw was a 5th round pick and a not a 2nd round pick, those guys do in fact grow on trees.[/B]

I love how people honestly believe Detroit drafted Bertuzzi thinking his ceiling was a checking, fringe NHL-er.

Make no mistake - this is a boom/bust (a lot of people wanted that with the 58th if I am recalling correctly), albeit in a different package than people are used to (Pulkkinen etc). Best-case scenario, Bertuzzi becomes a very gritty top 6-er. Worst case he never sees the NHL. But it is very obvious they are trying to fill up the prospect pool with a very varying skill-sets, and that they were pressured to take him at 58th because of other teams´interests in him.

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto
Is it just me or does it seem like the move to the East is drastically changing the way we draft?

and I don't like it btw....

The desire to get bigger started last year IMO

I think we have a ton of skill in our system already so I don't mind the added emphasis on size this year.

I'm not huge on picking Bertuzzi that early, but I don't know a whole lot about any of the prospects (minus Mantha)...Maybe we have a surprise steal in one of those picks...time will tell.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
Don't really understand it either. We haven't even seen the conferance yet. Why change for no reason and try to do something that other teams have done for years when the majority of players we draft our 5 years a way from even hitting the nhl lineup.

We don't even know if we cannot roll a puck possesion format until we see if it will hold water or not. And I pray its not 3 lines of boring dump and chase ******** like the rangers played.

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto
Don't really understand it either. We haven't even seen the conferance yet. Why change for no reason and try to do something that other teams have done for years when the majority of players we draft our 5 years a way from even hitting the nhl lineup.

We don't even know if we cannot roll a puck possesion format until we see if it will hold water or not. And I pray its not 3 lines of boring dump and chase ******** like the rangers played.

I highly doubt the shift in drafting has anything at all to do with changing conferences.

None of these guys will be in the league for a few years.

If you read anything about the Wings plans coming into this draft you should have seen this coming. They said they were going to take forwards over defenceman if both players were equal and that they wanted to get bigger as the game has changed and its a big mans game.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009

I see it as we have multiple skilled but average sized guys in the system, many of whom are looking like they're gonna pan out. Now they're adding some bigger bodies and/or with some different skill sets. They're trying to improve weaknesses in the system more than anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad