Speculation: 2013 Caps training camp thread

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Let's just hope the new twig brings him more scoring punch. Otherwise I don't get it..

i dont see what's not to get? beagle is going to play a shut down role. he's not energy 4th liner. he's plays a primary defensive role and those player are 3rd line players because they skate every even strenth ishift of the opposing 1st line.

if he scores some, thats gravy. if he scores like jeff halpern did sometimes in that role, its almost elite. if he's a plus player, he will have done his job.

.....wolski was signed to play in the top 6 or be a scratch. if he is playing it will be in the top 6. when laich returns, wolski will have to be pulling some weight to stay in the lineup.

Halpysback*

All I see is a list of not Ovechkin, not Ovechkin, not Ovechkin, not Ovechkin, not Ovechkin, not Ovechkin, not Ovechkin, not Ovechkin, not Ovechkin, not Ovechkin, not Ovechkin, not Ovechkin, not Ovechkin, not Ovechkin, not Ovechkin, not Ovechkin, not Ovechkin, not Ovechkin, not Ovechkin, not Ovechkin, not Ovechkin, not Ovechkin.

Gartner and Kessel are your only supporting people, but even then their off wing snipes aren't even close to the same way Ovechkin does it.

Ovechkin like Kovalchuk is a left winger, thats what they know, they know the game as a left winger. Kovalchuk did not do any Kovalchuk or Ovechkin esque snipes from the right wing off the rush once last year. Its already shown not to work.

:facepalm:

Kovalchuk had one of his best if not his best season at not left wing.

But no, Ovechkin and Kovalchuk are two completely unique players in history and the literally hundreds of elite players who were able to consistently snipe and drive the net on their on wing are nothing like them. Except Kovalchuk could also do it but it doesn't count. Also Ovechkin's successful right wing drives don't count either.

Has it ever occurred to you that Ovechkin's "Ovechkin esque snipes" recently have been working 1 out of 10 times, the other nine times simply going the other way and creating no offense? It's a ridiculous, absolutely ridiculous waste of possession. Do you really think the world's best sniper can only score using one move, a move pretty much no one else uses regularly because it requires so much overhead only Ovechkin can make it work?

Taylor Hall, Rick Nash. Close enough to you?

Oh right, Not Ovechkin.

I guess there's simply no getting through to you. I'm done trying. There's dense and then there's this.

Capitlols

Historic Chokers
Feb 9, 2010
Why, he was 65 point player in 09-10. 35 the next year, then only 9 in 22.

The 35 point year being with the Coyotes then the Rangers. Essentially from 2006 to 2010 he was a 40+ point player.

What did I miss?

I forgot how to be top 6, you must have 50+ points every year. Right?

40 points respectable on a 2nd line.

Are you that oblivious? His offensive has progressively declined and he is inept defensively. He has hands and that's about it, he is not top 6 material.

Edit: Did not know this is Liberation

Last edited:

Halpysback*

If Semin was much better at shooting off the rush, driving the net and overpowering defensemen and had a 1C playing with him, yes.

SimplySensational

Heard of Hough
Mar 27, 2011
VA
Are you that oblivious? His offensive has progressively declined and he is inept defensively. He has hands and that's about it, he is not top 6 material.

Edit: Did not know this is Liberation

Declined? Not really 9 in 22 is 34 over 82 game pace, but 22 games is a small sample. He also didn't play with someone of Ribeiro's caliber besides maybe Statsny, but the 65 point season also included 18 points in his last 18 with Phoenix.

Defensively he looks fine: http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/showplayer.php?pid=165

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
Yeah, Mike Ribeiro's impact is being greatly underestimated. They're better down the middle since they've been since the Cup run in '98, maybe ever. By virtue of health and experience they're stronger at almost every position. All they need are "B" seasons from Ovechkin, Backstrom and Green and they'll be in the thick of it. The fact that all 3 bottomed-out last year and they were still just a few bounces from the ECF is not insignificant.

Halpysback*

As long as Wolski stays focused he should be a successful signing. He was good while focused last year. He just lost focus after 10 games on both teams.

Maybe he realizes the writing is on the wall and tries really really hard.

3 years ago he was a borderline top line winger.

Brad Tolliver

Terror Goes Into
Feb 17, 2004
Overtime
Has it ever occurred to you that Ovechkin's "Ovechkin esque snipes" recently have been working 1 out of 10 times, the other nine times simply going the other way and creating no offense?
No, those numbers only come with the premium stat package, also known as actually watching and understanding hockey.

Capitlols

Historic Chokers
Feb 9, 2010
Declined? Not really 9 in 22 is 34 over 82 game pace, but 22 games is a small sample. He also didn't play with someone of Ribeiro's caliber besides maybe Statsny, but the 65 point season also included 18 points in his last 18 with Phoenix.

Defensively he looks fine: http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/showplayer.php?pid=165

34 points is hardly top 6 material...and you are overstating Ribeiro's potential impact on Wolski. He's been on four different teams in three years for a reason. He's terribly inconsistent and he will float defensively. Temper your expectations for him.

Brad Tolliver

Terror Goes Into
Feb 17, 2004
Overtime
34 points is hardly top 6 material...and you are overstating Ribeiro's potential impact on Wolski. He's been on four different teams in three years for a reason. He's terribly inconsistent and he will float defensively. Temper your expectations for him.
If Wolski doesn't fails then GMGM can just call up Galiev, the stats guy said he was a shoe-in for top-6 this season because he had really awesome stats in the CHL or something.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
HA!
i used that list that Ref9 posted. so he forgot him too.

Johansson - Backstrom - Ovechkin
Wolski - Ribiero - Brouwer
Chimera - Laich - Ward/Fehr
Hendrix - Beagle - Ward/Fehr

Perreault
Crabb

Go ahead, throw me under the bus.

When I was going over the list I kept counting the numbers and knew I was missing someone. So the roster currently stands at 24 and they need to be down to 23 by tomorrow. Someone's gotta get bumped. Who will it be? Poti back to LTIR?

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I have feeling we are going to see a lot of toedrag/snapshot attempts this year with RW OV. It's gonna be Semin redux.

i am wondering what you would prefer as an alternative? just like off the left wing, ovechkin is going to need to get to the middle of the ice to get a good shooting angle. as a right shot, right wing the toe drag is the prime move to get from the boards to a shooting angle.

no shooting angle means passing and i certainly dont want to see the team's best shooter turned into a pass first player.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
"No" shooting angle? Zero? Ovi warping to the goal line?

I think its ironic that posters think Ovi can't score, nor even shoot, from within the right wing circle, or anywhere on the right side of the ice for that matter. Like Mike Gartner never existed. That goalies will always have the perfect angle as they adjust to his speed or moves.

Yet the last goal Ovi scored was from that very spot vs Holtby.

That despite being a top shot in the world "needs" the best shooting angle to score. And think Ovi up high on the point for the PP is the only place he can fit into a PP.

I am thrilled that he is going to be playing a position where he can easily catch Nicks forehand passes as they both storm to the net. Or throw it back to Nicks forehand using his forehand, who can easily give it right back for a near empty net.

Its high time our offense evolves from everyone just watching Ovi be a one man show. Naturally, some resist change, ironically even when change is being proposed by Ovi himself.

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
I'm not Perreault's biggest fan but I'm a bit surprised by the lack of noise he's getting (mostly I blame that tool from frozen blog). His shooting % from last year is unsustainable but his production was kind of amazing. Among players w a minimum 40 games he was second on the team by ESTOI/ESP behind only Backstrom. He actually led the team in ESTOI/ESG just barely ahead of Ovechkin.

A 4th line of something-Perreault-Fehr could actually produce.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
Correct me if I'm wrong, but haven't Perreault and Fehr played well together in the past? Fehr never looked better in the bottom 6 than when Perreault was darting around down in the corners with him, in my opinion. He had good enough hands and a big enough body that he could keep up with the play and get around the net when Perreault was getting shifty, and they looked good on the cycle together.

Last edited:

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
+1 on the offensive potential of Hendy MP and Fehr. Who centered Flash and Fehr... Nylander?

Hendricks has decent offensive skills. You dont become a shootout guy by random chance.

While Beagle is everyone's new fav I am not sold on him as a shutdown center. He missed a check on a critical OT goal vs the Rangers, the last time I remember him. Maybe it was the Bruins.

I wouldn't hesitate for a moment to use Beagle at 4C, and try 3 scoring lines.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
he's plays a primary defensive role and those player are 3rd line players because they skate every even strenth ishift of the opposing 1st line.
- Oates has given no indication he's primarily a match-up coach and seems more inclined to put power-on-power or just roll all four lines.
- Even if he was such a coach Hendricks is a better LW compliment than Chimera. 83 has more experience with Hendricks, which would give them a line that actually has some history together. As-is there will be little of it aside from 8/19.
- More top six reliability would make this less of a concern. As-is I'd think Perreault would make Chimera & Ward/Crabb/whoever more effective offensive players, which may esp. be needed early on.

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
Assuming they're the only two candidates for 3c and 4c, Purrutu and Beagle are fighting for about 18-20 minutes of icetime. I dont think it's even a question that Perreault brings much more value to that time. I see Beagle as the 4C whose ice time is dictated by the PK more than anything else.

I like Beagle but he Doesnt have the offensive talent to anchor a shutdown line that gets significant minutes.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
great news. the empty net goal is back in the caps vocabulary. oates says that ovechkin has to be on the ice in those situations. the ghost of bruce is back

Dec 19, 2008
NoVA
After watching that practice yesterday I am pretty damn happy with Ribeiro. He looks like a huge asset and should pair up nicely on the PP.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
+1 On Ribs. Our C depth has never been better.

Nick Rib Laich MP MJ Beagle Hendricks

The best part of Ovi ENGs was watching the mains explode

I think Dale was a fool to not let Ovi be out late in games. He can ice a game as soon as the puck gets on his stick. He would flat out rarely miss.

While I don't think we ever lost a game facing an EN, I do think home fans were very disappointed in Dale to not see Ovi on the verge of a hat not getting a chance, even when up 2, at home.

Dale simply did not give two ****s about what people think about him. Much like the way he was when he played and became the most hated player.

SimplySensational

Heard of Hough
Mar 27, 2011
VA
http://www.russianmachineneverbreak...to-be-a-very-happy-hockey-player-under-oates/

Q: Ovi seems to have a pep in his step at training camp. He’s the first guy over when Oates does instruction on the board. He looks like he’s flying out there. A few of the guys remarked about that in the locker room. I know you’re up in Hershey scouting, but what do you think Adam Oates is going to do for someone like Ovechkin?

I think first of all, Ovi and the skill guys are really going to thrive under Adam. Obviously, when you had the credentials that Adam has — he was such a great two-way player — he can really relate to the skill guys. He was recently inducted into the Hall of Fame. He has such a great attention to detail. You would be very stupid not to listen to what he has to say or not be very enthusiastic to play for him. He’s gonna get those offensive guys going so that they can show off their ability. He’ll demand responsibility in your own end as well. That’s what’s great about Adam: not only was he a great playmaker and skill guy in the offensive zone, the responsibility he has in his own end was second to none. Penalty-killing, he was one of the first guys called upon. The power play he was one of the first forwards called upon. I think guys like Ribeiro, Nicky Backstrom, Marcus Johansson, Mike Green, I think all of those guys are going to benefit with Adam being coach.

Q: Last year when Ovi played for Dale Hunter, the Capitals played a much different brand of hockey. They really played tight defensively. Do you think it benefited Ovechkin to see how important the other side of the game is and that you can win that way?

No question. When Dale came in, the team really struggled on both ends of the ice. They couldn’t keep the puck out of the net. They couldn’t score goals. Dale’s philosophy as coach was the only thing we can control is how we play in our own end, so we’re going to tighten things up and win games 1-0 and 2-1. That’s the philosophy that he went with. People could argue that it hurt us ultimately in the end, but I’m a big believer that if we wouldn’t have played that way we wouldn’t have made the playoffs. I think a guy like Ovi seeing the defensive side and being called upon to be responsible in how own end, I think it was a great lesson for him to build on. Now he’ll play under Adam, he’ll have that defensive responsibility, and then he’ll be allowed to show off his talent in the offensive zone. Ovi’s going to be a very happy hockey player.

Dec 19, 2008
NoVA
Assuming they're the only two candidates for 3c and 4c, Purrutu and Beagle are fighting for about 18-20 minutes of icetime. I dont think it's even a question that Perreault brings much more value to that time. I see Beagle as the 4C whose ice time is dictated by the PK more than anything else.

I like Beagle but he Doesnt have the offensive talent to anchor a shutdown line that gets significant minutes.

What was that kids username again?

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3