Speculation: 2013 Caps training camp thread

Brave Sir Robin

Jul 7, 2011
Johansson - Backstrom - Ovechkin

2 good young swedes with great 2 way games and the bull.
I hope this really gets a chance to gel and i think theres some creative upside with Johansson and Ovi switching sides on rushes and confusing defenders.

I, like all of us probably, are hoping that Oates can find what is missing from Ovi's game to get him back up the top creating great offense and not being so predictable. Hes still an amazing player, but both him and Backstrom have been down for a while from when they were probably a top 3 1-2 punch in the league a few years ago.
This line should work well.

Wolski - Ribeiro - Laich

At first i was tossing up the idea of having Fehr or Perreault here instead of Laich but with Wolski not exactly tearing the world up of late and Ribeiro a bit on the small side, its probably more important that Laich plays here. Its not the most appealing second line. I think we are missing a sniper of sorts unless Wolski can really turn his career around. I am pretty doubtful.

Chimera - Beagle - Fehr

Big line. Good speed. Ward could be here and might be against potent top lines, but id like to see Fehr get a look here. My original line up had Fehr potentially on the second line with Laich centreing the 3rd... so we will see. Chimmer is one of my favs. Always plays hard and draws penalties and can score imo well enough. I really like the look of this line.

Hendricks - Perreault - Ward

Its always hard putting an offensive minded small guy in the line up when hes not on a top 2 line. but what to do?
He deserves a shot and im not sure what his off season has been like or if he has been playing so ive thrown him here and put some defensive responsibility with his line mates.

Crabb

Schultz Green

We dont really have many other options to play with Green here. Poti if healthy would be handy but hes still a while off. if ever.
Green is still probably the most talented offensive defender out there. I am glad that the green light has been given for guys like him, Carlson, Alzner & Hamrlik. Whilst Hamr is past his best and Alzner isnt really an offensive threat, they are both smart enough to know when jumping up will create enough pressure for possible scoring chances.
Heres hoping Green can get back in that 60 point range because his defensive qualities are about B+ to A now after spending a lot of time on it, we all know his offensive will be there if he feels comfortable in using it.

Alzner Carlson

Erskine Hamrlik

Holtby
You completely forgot about Brouwer.

Semin

Jun 13, 2009
I like Oates's thinking about having Ovi on the PK might help on the PP because he'll be able to relate to what PK'ers think. Also like how He wants Ovi playing those crucial last couple of minutes of the game. It's not like BB just wanting to pad Ovi's stats. Its a coach putting trust into "the guy" that I really like.

Dirtbag59

May 13, 2011
Was watching this just now and ended up wondering why Ovi wasn't moved to RW sooner.

Guy is a natural for that position. Theres just so much unnecessary extra-curricular stuff that Ovi does on the LW down the rush that it's almost maddening. RW allows him to either tee up or get the defense to over-commit so much that the backside opens up.

Last edited:

brs03

Coo coo ca cha!
Jun 2, 2008
Maryland
These were the lines/pairs on Monday (via Katie)

Johansson-Backstrom-Ovechkin

Wolski-Ribeiro-Brouwer

Chimera-Beagle-Ward-Wilson

Hendricks-Perreault-Fehr-Crabb

Defense

Alzner-Carlson

Hamrlik-Green

Schultz-Schilling

Erskine-Hillen

Goal: Holtby, Neuvirth.

I know the top two lines were the same for the scrimmage. Don't know how the bottom 6 or pairings shook out, since Wilson played and Green did not (and Schilling had been sent down by that point).

Dirtbag59

May 13, 2011
These were the lines/pairs on Monday (via Katie)

I know the top two lines were the same for the scrimmage. Don't know how the bottom 6 or pairings shook out, since Wilson played and Green did not (and Schilling had been sent down by that point).

Wow, Oates wasn't kidding about that Lefties playing LW and Righties playing RW philosophy.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Dont forget Dirt, it was Ovi's idea to move which bumped MJ

With no preseason games to go by, I think its going to be a near coin flip between Crabb and Fehr. Has Crabb been playing during the lull - game shape? If not, Fehr may well have the upper hand. If anyone has seen anything from Crabb of note, hook us up.

Wolski appears to have a spot.

If Laich comes back, I think MP gets pushed to the bench, Beagle bumped down.

MJ Nick OV
WW Ribs Brow
Chimera Beagle Ward
Hendy MP Fehr
Crabb

I almost feel like our 4th line is more like a scoring line but Beagle with 2 goals vs Reading, Ward on PP2, its not happening. But I bet that 4th line pots a goal before the 3rd line.

I hope Oates gets a little crazy and tries splitting up the kids this year. If he simply does what the previous coaches did, I hope he remembers they failed.

Alzner Green
Hammer Carlson
Erskine/Sarge/Poti Hillen/Orlov

SimplySensational

Heard of Hough
Mar 27, 2011
VA
Was watching this just now and ended up wondering why Ovi wasn't moved to RW sooner.

Guy is a natural for that position. Theres just so much unnecessary extra-curricular stuff that Ovi does on the LW down the rush that it's almost maddening. RW allows him to either tee up or get the defense to over-commit so much that the backside opens up.

What are you talking about?

Its better to have him going left to right dynamically, instead of right to left. You will see him using his right hand to protect the puck as he switches to right side.

He cannot drive from the right wing, its physically impossible, he has to lean left, but his a right handed, hot, that makes no sense, he does a fine job of using the dynamic switch and has never had a problem protecting the puck with his right arm and legs. He just need support from behind. If he wants to switch to the right wing and you will see it previous times, he usually skates behind a team mate, which draws back checkers, he never had that support the past 2 years.

There is a common mistake goalies make when Ovechkin scores on the right wing, five hole or losing their net, if the goalie doesn't lose their net, Ovechkin has pretty much no angle. The other common thing is the fake slap shot to get them to drop then sniping it over their shoulder, which in most cases is due to again, losing their net.

Look back a few pages, I posted a video of all Kovalchuks goals from last year, and I posted a description of each one. I wouldn't describe any of them as goals roaring down the right wing, it was either a good pass from the behind the net, or a 2 on 0. Then a few ones where he swinged over from the left wing and shot at the far post, which happens due to goalies losing their net too.

Last edited:

Capagonia

Oct 20, 2009
VA
Dont forget Dirt, it was Ovi's idea to move which bumped MJ

With no preseason games to go by, I think its going to be a near coin flip between Crabb and Fehr. Has Crabb been playing during the lull - game shape? If not, Fehr may well have the upper hand. If anyone has seen anything from Crabb of note, hook us up.

Wolski appears to have a spot.

If Laich comes back, I think MP gets pushed to the bench, Beagle bumped down.

MJ Nick OV
WW Ribs Brow
Chimera Beagle Ward
Hendy MP Fehr
Crabb

I almost feel like our 4th line is more like a scoring line but Beagle with 2 goals vs Reading, Ward on PP2, its not happening. But I bet that 4th line pots a goal before the 3rd line.

I hope Oates gets a little crazy and tries splitting up the kids this year. If he simply does what the previous coaches did, I hope he remembers they failed.

Alzner Green
Hammer Carlson
Erskine/Sarge/Poti Hillen/Orlov

He scored 38 pts (17G) in 35the games for Alaska in the ECHL.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
beagle is not going to be the 4th line center.
Let's just hope the new twig brings him more scoring punch. Otherwise I don't get it.

We'll see what happens once Laich comes back, particularly if Wolski gets off to a good start. If he does and Johansson isn't dreadful then Laich at 3C would seem to make the most sense.

Halpysback*

What are you talking about?

Its better to have him going left to right dynamically, instead of right to left. You will see him using his right hand to protect the puck as he switches to right side.

He cannot drive from the right wing, its physically impossible, he has to lean left, but his a right handed, hot, that makes no sense, he does a fine job of using the dynamic switch and has never had a problem protecting the puck with his right arm and legs. He just need support from behind. If he wants to switch to the right wing and you will see it previous times, he usually skates behind a team mate, which draws back checkers, he never had that support the past 2 years.

There is a common mistake goalies make when Ovechkin scores on the right wing, five hole or losing their net, if the goalie doesn't lose their net, Ovechkin has pretty much no angle. The other common thing is the fake slap shot to get them to drop then sniping it over their shoulder, which in most cases is due to again, losing their net.

Look back a few pages, I posted a video of all Kovalchuks goals from last year, and I posted a description of each one. I wouldn't describe any of them as goals roaring down the right wing, it was either a good pass from the behind the net, or a 2 on 0. Then a few ones where he swinged over from the left wing and shot at the far post, which happens due to goalies losing their net too.

You should go ahead and tell Iginla, Ryan, Malone, Booth, Lucic, Parise, Perry, Neal, Franzen, Oshie, Stewart, Landeskog, Jones, Hornqvist, Nash, Hartnell, Simmonds, Morrow, Setoguchi, Hall, Marchand, Pacioretty, Kane, Glencross, Ruutu, Kreider, Doan, Ladd, Kessel, Pomminville, Foligno, Callahan, Michalek, Alfredsson, Brouwer, Brown, Clowe, Umberger, Wheeler, Ryder, Gionta, Bourque, Okposo, Stafford, Kulemin, Gagne, Penner, Carter, Selanne, Chimera and Downie that it's physically impossible to drive the net or snipe from the rush unless you're on your off wing.

EDIT: forgot Vrbata, Korpikoski, Ott, Steen, Knuble, Williams, Cole, Marleau, JVR, Grabner, Clarkson, Bergenheim, Benn, Mike Gartner and Cam ****ing Neely

Also Hejduk, Kevin Stevens and John LeClair

Last edited by a moderator:

SimplySensational

Heard of Hough
Mar 27, 2011
VA
Wolski in the top 6 is disturbing.

Why, he was 65 point player in 09-10. 35 the next year, then only 9 in 22.

The 35 point year being with the Coyotes then the Rangers. Essentially from 2006 to 2010 he was a 40+ point player.

What did I miss?

I forgot how to be top 6, you must have 50+ points every year. Right?

40 points respectable on a 2nd line.

Halpysback*

Bolded is how I feel about it. Plenty of other top players in the league play on the PK. Always felt that it improved Semin's game when he did.

I had a theory going that Semin was so comfortable on the PK, that he'd subconsciously take lazy penalties to put the team in a position he'd feel at ease in. However, he didn't subconsciously process that he'd be the one in the box.

Perhaps the next generation of Semins will evolve even more.

Halpysback*

Beagle would make a better 3C than Laich.

Scoring may not be there but Chimera-Beagle-Ward would kill the opposition on RTS and probably get quite a few goals out of pure hustle and cycling. Beagle's faceoffs, speed and overall center instincts are above Laich's.

SimplySensational

Heard of Hough
Mar 27, 2011
VA
You should go ahead and tell Iginla, Ryan, Malone, Booth, Lucic, Parise, Perry, Neal, Franzen, Oshie, Stewart, Landeskog, Jones, Hornqvist, Nash, Hartnell, Simmonds, Morrow, Setoguchi, Hall, Marchand, Pacioretty, Kane, Glencross, Ruutu, Kreider, Doan, Ladd, Kessel, Pomminville, Foligno, Callahan, Michalek, Alfredsson, Brouwer, Brown, Clowe, Umberger, Wheeler, Ryder, Gionta, Bourque, Okposo, Stafford, Kulemin, Gagne, Penner, Carter, Selanne, Chimera and Downie that it's physically impossible to drive the net or snipe from the rush unless you're on your off wing.

What do any of these guys have to do with Ovechkin?

For God's sake Parise literally didn't score beyond the face off dots, how the **** is he an example?

Either way, look up Perry, most of his goals off left wing. He spends a lot of time in front of the net.

Last edited:

Halpysback*

What do any of these guys have to do with Ovechkin?

For God's sake Parise literally didn't score beyond the face off dots, how the **** is he an example?

So none of them are pure snipers or drive the net with regularity successfully?

I've got every player in NHL 99 memorized as well, can throw down some Paul Kariyas or Adam Graveses if you want.

How about just a few names so it's easier to focus.

Sniping - Selanne, Kessel, Semin, Vrbata, Carter, Gagne, Hejduk, Gartner, Nash, Iginla, Ryan, Michalek, Hall, Setoguchi.

Driving the net - Perry, Doan, Lucic (ask Miller), Simmonds, Knuble (ask Thomas), Nash, Iginla, Ryan, Michalek, Hall, Setoguchi

Either way, look up Perry, most of his goals off left wing. He spends a lot of time in front of the net.

Yet he lines up to the right of Getzlaf.

Perhaps at right wing Ovechkin can also circle around to the left right by the time the defense is broken and he needs to snipe, whereas currently if he doesn't get a shot off from LW he ends up circling to the right by the time it is broken?

There are tons, absolutely tons of pure snipers who score from their on wing by going super fast and firing shots from beyond the hash marks. There's also tons of people who successfully drive the net with regularity from there. Your dynamics on playing at RW are wrong. For starters, you seem to think he'd be close to the boards when starting the drive and would be eligible for getting pinned easily, whereas he'd usually be closer to the center and would have plenty of space to jump to the boards, which would leave the D completely flat footed. Also, you're not considering how much easier it is to keep the puck on the inside of the curve than on the outside (which is what one handed driving on the off wing or completing a toe drag requires). It's like balancing an egg on the inside of a spoon vs the outside.

Look at Selanne or Kessel to see how his sniping game would translate. Look at Hall or Doan to see how his driving the net would. He'd be some hybrid of a player from column A and column B.

Last edited by a moderator:

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
I really don't see how the lineup is any worse than last year. It's Ribeiro and Wolski for Semin, Fehr and Crabb for Knuble, and Poti and Hillen for Wideman.

I'd be much more worried about the coaching situation than the playing personnel.

SimplySensational

Heard of Hough
Mar 27, 2011
VA
So none of them are pure snipers or drive the net with regularity successfully?

I've got the whole NHL 99 game rosters memorized, I can throw those names down too.

How about just a few names so it's easier to focus.

Sniping - Selanne, Kessel, Vrbata, Carter, Gagne, Hejduk, Gartner, Setoguchi.

Driving the net - Perry, Doan, Lucic, Hartnell, Simmonds, Knuble

All I see is a list of not Ovechkin, not Ovechkin, not Ovechkin, not Ovechkin, not Ovechkin, not Ovechkin, not Ovechkin, not Ovechkin, not Ovechkin, not Ovechkin, not Ovechkin, not Ovechkin, not Ovechkin, not Ovechkin, not Ovechkin, not Ovechkin, not Ovechkin, not Ovechkin, not Ovechkin, not Ovechkin, not Ovechkin, not Ovechkin.

Gartner and Kessel are your only supporting people, but even then their off wing snipes aren't even close to the same way Ovechkin does it.

Ovechkin like Kovalchuk is a left winger, thats what they know, they know the game as a left winger. Kovalchuk did not do any Kovalchuk or Ovechkin esque snipes from the right wing off the rush once last year. Its already shown not to work.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad