Speculation: 2013 Caps training camp thread

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
Nah, I'm just wondering if this is something Ilitch or Holland would do. Or something Lou would do to a good soldier like Elias or Clarkson for that matter.

McPhee hasn't exactly been known for tiptoeing around his players' feelings in his tenure here. If you don't think these things resonate over time I don't know what to tell you.

If I'm McPhee I commend Laich on his commitment to staying in game shape and don't bring it up at all. 50 grand for good karma is a small price to pay in a pro sports world. Not when we literally have 5+ million festering away.

Personally, I don't care much for players. They're tools used to accomplish a task. But you want to press every advantage and hit every right note when dealing with them. You can get much more out of them that way than you'd think. Cheaper contracts and players playing out of their minds in the playoff for starters.

I would imagine they don't have a choice in the matter because lawyers are horrible horrible trolls.

Ok, I had my turn. Your turn again!

jump-to-conclusions-mat.jpg

McDreamy

Losing credibility
Feb 25, 2009
How has Green looked in training camp? Does he still look like the same player he did a few years ago?

SimplySensational

Heard of Hough
Mar 27, 2011
VA
So what you envision of Ovechkin on the right wing is tap in goals, 1 on 1 breakway in the slot goal(coming from the left), and just getting on the ice on a line change and scoring thanks to Emery trying to prevent Ovechkin from hitting the back of the net. Of course all the above while be a left wing.

Halpysback*

I would imagine they don't have a choice in the matter because lawyers are horrible horrible trolls.

Ok, I had my turn. Your turn again!

jump-to-conclusions-mat.jpg

Not buying it at all. Everyone has and deals with lawyers. I have a lawyer. My lawyer has a lawyer. I do legal research for my lawyer's lawyer.

Even if there is some CBA provision for it I'd have expected McPhee to man up and fight it with his army of lawyers. Stick up for his players, you know.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
How has Green looked in training camp? Does he still look like the same player he did a few years ago?

Last i saw he was laying on our goalie so, he has looked clumsy. In a tiny sample size of course.

More importantly what you want to know is that he got the green light to bring offense from Oates, and has recently gotten lasik eye surgery.

Strong fantasy buy IMO

Halpysback*

So what you envision of Ovechkin on the right wing is tap in goals, 1 on 1 breakway in the slot goal(coming from the left), and just getting on the ice on a line change and scoring thanks to Emery trying to prevent Ovechkin from hitting the back of the net. Of course all the above while be a left wing.

Perhaps he can send Taylor Hall a gift basket and a letter asking how it's done.

Possibilities are endless. He goes on the rush with the puck, closer to the middle of the ice than the end boards. Defenseman tries to prevent him from going to the center, he easily goes around and forces defenseman to pivot, losing much of his speed. Has a clear lane to the net and a slapshot lane he never had at LW. Or perhaps that same defenseman cheats by going too close to the boards. Ovechkin toe drags to the center of the ice and gets past him. Now he has a complete one on one.

Perhaps he's being covered really well with no clear lanes to the net. In that case he has a much easier time chipping the puck to the endboards or just taking it all the way around, ending up on the left. Then he has everyone circling him with lots of lanes open for his linemates. Think of the play on Carter's OT goal on Brodeur last playoffs. Then there's countless things he can do with passing from his forehand to Backstrom or Laich/Johansson's forehand and getting improved accuracy and puckhandling from that. The way it's set up any offense generated by sustained offensive pressure and broken plays will most likely have him set up camp on the left, probably beneath the circles (since players tend to circle around, as that's the only way they can get the distance and space to maneuver).

Also, that top corner hole above the glove is much harder to cover than it looks when the puck is getting shot from the right. It's just not a natural movement. That's why Brouwer and Semin regularly made Thomas look like a fool on streaking down the wing shots.

Refer to this very not to scale sketch of a goalie with no pads trying to cover the top of the net with his glove from a puck being shot from the right

..o <--puck
...\
....\
.....\
......* ______
.......|....O......| <- net with goalie
.......|8--|--D |
.......|....|....L |
.......|..|Л.......|

It's bloody impossible!

jbean

Jan 17, 2009
So is Holtby or Neuvirth considered Washington's starting goalie? Is it a coin flip between who plays more games, or does someone have a hold on the #1 job?

McDreamy

Losing credibility
Feb 25, 2009
Last i saw he was laying on our goalie so, he has looked clumsy. In a tiny sample size of course.

More importantly what you want to know is that he got the green light to bring offense from Oates, and has recently gotten lasik eye surgery.

Strong fantasy buy IMO

Thanks for the reply. I sure hope so.

Portable Mink

Sep 12, 2005
Melbourne, Australia
Perhaps he can send Taylor Hall a gift basket and a letter asking how it's done.

Possibilities are endless. He goes on the rush with the puck, closer to the middle of the ice than the end boards. Defenseman tries to prevent him from going to the center, he easily goes around and forces defenseman to pivot, losing much of his speed. Has a clear lane to the net and a slapshot lane he never had at LW. Or perhaps that same defenseman cheats by going too close to the boards. Ovechkin toe drags to the center of the ice and gets past him. Now he has a complete one on one.

Perhaps he's being covered really well with no clear lanes to the net. In that case he has a much easier time chipping the puck to the endboards or just taking it all the way around, ending up on the left. Then he has everyone circling him with lots of lanes open for his linemates. Think of the play on Carter's OT goal on Brodeur last playoffs. Then there's countless things he can do with passing from his forehand to Backstrom or Laich/Johansson's forehand and getting improved accuracy and puckhandling from that. The way it's set up any offense generated by sustained offensive pressure and broken plays will most likely have him set up camp on the left, probably beneath the circles (since players tend to circle around, as that's the only way they can get the distance and space to maneuver).

Also, that top corner hole above the glove is much harder to cover than it looks when the puck is getting shot from the right. It's just not a natural movement. That's why Brouwer and Semin regularly made Thomas look like a fool on streaking down the wing shots.

Refer to this very not to scale sketch of a goalie with no pads trying to cover the top of the net with his glove from a puck being shot from the right

..o <--puck
...\
....\
.....\
......* ______
.......|8--|--D |
.......|....|....L |
.......|..|Л.......|

It's bloody impossible!

why are the goalies arms replaced with a sizeable member.

Capitlols

Historic Chokers
Feb 9, 2010
Stephen Whyno ‏@SWhyno
Last Leonsis quote before blogging: "I've never made a penny of profit with the Washington Capitals." #Caps

brs03

Coo coo ca cha!
Jun 2, 2008
Maryland
So is Holtby or Neuvirth considered Washington's starting goalie? Is it a coin flip between who plays more games, or does someone have a hold on the #1 job?

Lean Holtby, but the suggestion (may be just talk) is they could easily end up ~50/50. I personally get the impression that Oates isn't quite sure himself how he should handle it yet.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Perhaps he can send Taylor Hall a gift basket and a letter asking how it's done...

..o <--puck
...\
....\
.....\
......* ______
.......|8--|--D |
.......|....|....L |
.......|..|Л.......|

It's bloody impossible!

Is that a girl goalie? Great post outside of that cupless G.

I think goalies will find its more difficult defending RW Ovi. At LW, the screen got em, but all they had to largely do was make one move to up high right on the crease, as Ovi cut inside slightly. His shots were always low.

Ovi storming down RW, Gs are going to be having to adjust their angle far more than one time per rush, and he will still get his screen chances.

His move coming down into the RW circle, faking a shot, and ripping it upstairs has made goalies look silly. No shooting angle my arse. He will be going upstairs more than ever.

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com

..o <--puck
...\
....\
.....\
......* ______
.......|8--|--D |
.......|....|....L |
.......|..|Л.......|

It's bloody impossible!

I'm just quoting this because for the diagram effort, heh. :cheers:

Halpysback*

Is that a girl goalie? Great post outside of that cupless G.

I think goalies will find its more difficult defending RW Ovi. At LW, the screen got em, but all they had to largely do was make one move to up high right on the crease, as Ovi cut inside slightly. His shots were always low.

Ovi storming down RW, Gs are going to be having to adjust their angle far more than one time per rush, and he will still get his screen chances.

His move coming down into the RW circle, faking a shot, and ripping it upstairs has made goalies look silly. No shooting angle my arse. He will be going upstairs more than ever.

I am more getting at the fact that when you try to glove a shot from the right up high your shoulder gets in the way to a point. Not as much the case when gloving a high shot from the left.

Also, shots from your on wing can be done at full speed, which adds to the speed of the shot. Whereas from your off wing you need to often cut inside and cross your body for a shooting lane. For a slapshot from your off wing you pretty much need to stop and pivot for it to have any accuracy.

And that's not a girl goalie, that's Tim Thomas with no pads. Hopefully now you see why every other streaking slap shot from RW went in on him.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I am more getting at the fact that when you try to glove a shot from the right up high your shoulder gets in the way to a point. Not as much the case when gloving a high shot from the left.

Also, shots from your on wing can be done at full speed, which adds to the speed of the shot. Whereas from your off wing you need to often cut inside and cross your body for a shooting lane. For a slapshot from your off wing you pretty much need to stop and pivot for it to have any accuracy.

And that's not a girl goalie, that's Tim Thomas with no pads. Hopefully now you see why every other streaking slap shot from RW went in on him.

Timmy sure isn't packing his pistol in that glamour shot. I guess you know who got it.

Interesting about the shoulder getting in the way.

I had thought about how Ovi will be able to get his skating speed into his shot and not be so dependent on the wrister for all his power, but I figured I had spammed the board enough with reasons to relax over his RW aspirations.

As long as MJ stays out of his way, I expect him to be shot out of a cannon to start the year. LDs will feel the wrath.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
whats the minimum number of games to be missed if on IR? what is the minimum number of games missed if suspended?

Halpysback*

Timmy sure isn't packing his pistol in that glamour shot. I guess you know who got it.

Interesting about the shoulder getting in the way.

I had thought about how Ovi will be able to get his skating speed into his shot and not be so dependent on the wrister for all his power, but I figured I had spammed the board enough with reasons to relax over his RW aspirations.

As long as MJ stays out of his way, I expect him to be shot out of a cannon to start the year. LDs will feel the wrath.

It's largely trigonometry. If your catching glove is further away from the net (as is the case when a goalie is trying to glove a shot from the side opposite to this glove - he pivots so that his blocker side is closer and his glove side is further out), then you're covering a greater angle and your glove covers a greater ratio of area to distance traveled than if the glove is closer, which is the case when the goalie is trying to glove a shot from the on-wing and pivots so that the blocker side is further out. Small things but they add up, especially since the shoulder is inflexible and much of it is wrist movement compensating for shoulder limitations. This is why there are so many seemingly impossible goals scored top corner from one's on wing. Pretty much if you can get a heavy shot going top corner from there it's a goal 8 out of 10 times or so. You don't see many highlight reel glove saves of those for a reason. And many goalies try to compensate by moving so far to the right (or left if they catch right) that you can fire a beach ball stickside. Ovi is gonna have quite a few of those as well

If you have time to kill, look up any of the "all of Phil Kessel's goals in ___ - ___" videos that leafs fans constantly put up to placate their inferiority complexes. You'll see lots of what I'm talking about.

Also, Ovechkin has now a lot more tap in possibilities open when the puck is flung from the left end boards to the net since he'd be catching it on his on hand now. Remember the 10-2 Boston pummeling years back when he scored 3 goals in the same period in like 5 minutes?

Those last 2 are what I'm talking about.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Good stuff Halpy. All concerned about Ovi just skip to the end and watch the last 2 goals. He largely has worked so hard and shot so many times for all his goals, usually all on his own doing. While it leads to Harts, it also leads to fans thinking the one man show is all he is. He will use his line mates more, and make the line harder to defend, not just him hard to defend.

Goalie tech talk doesn't get much discussion. But a lot of goals are scored when goalies have poor angles, make mistakes. Bad technique, opening the 5 hole side stepping to keep the angle on drives down the wing. One of my favs is the shoulder shrug feeble save attempt. I love the fake shot, holding the puck. Goalies often just lay down like a dog in submission. There is a lot to exploit out of goalies. What he has done a ton of is using the screen, but we all know he can so much more.

I need screens to score. And alcohol. He doesn't.

Last edited:

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
whats the minimum number of games to be missed if on IR? what is the minimum number of games missed if suspended?
The only minimum is seven days for IR so they'd be looking at a minimum of three games without him if placed on IR. IINM if suspended it's a matter of him passing his physical, being cleared/ready and then activated.

The waiver deadline already passed for tomorrow's final rosters so I'd guess if they wanted to keep him active they're going to have to trade someone tomorrow. Or else they can just wait to activate him and then trade or waive someone when the time comes, assuming no one gets hurt enough for IR in the meantime. (That's not even considering Orlov's potential return down the line...)

With a lot of teams looking for D I wonder if Erskine doesn't become a trade candidate. Not that he carries a ton of value but he's a hard-working #5/6 and the remaining term has to be attractive to many teams. They could waive Crabb or Fehr but lessening the numbers on D a bit isn't a bad idea if they have faith in Schilling & Kundratek if need be. (Again, not to mention Orlov.) Schultz & Ward make sense due to role vs. contract but they might need to eat some of it.

Halpysback*

Erskine only makes sense as a cap move. He doesn't fetch anything tempting and he can be worth 3x the cap hit in the playoffs. You won't find a better sheriff for the price.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->