Speculation: 2013 Caps training camp thread

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Who was it that was saying Poti was done?

Since you’re <OLAF> at the Hershey game, how is Tom Poti doing in his first game in two years?

He looks good. It’s amazing. He looks like he hasn’t missed a beat at all. He looks good out there. It’s actually pretty incredible. If he can somehow come back and play for Washington, that’s going to be such a huge bonus for us. It would give us so much depth.

Halpysback*

From what I recall Heatley was a RW who switched to LW precisely so that his and Spezza's sticks faced each other and they could go forehand to forehand. Got a couple 50 goal season out of it too.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
@VogsCaps: #Caps defenseman Tom Poti will re-join the team for tonight's 7 p.m. practice at Verizon Center.

It would seem he'll be activated so they're soon back at 23 active with Laich potentially suspended for getting injured while overseas and Orlov technically remaining on Hershey's roster injured.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
While designing an attack on the rush, while it isn't the final word on offensive play design, its really the only place to start.

Unless we want to be a dump and chase team again.

It starts with a plan of what to do when entering the zone. While the center is often late getting into the rush (stuck on defensive duty), I believe coaches start designing plays with the 3 forwards all involved.

It's called line passing, 3 across - hockey basics. Our top line will be able to do that, if even only in practice, better than ever before.

Ovi will now have a lefty to his left, MJ or Nick, with Green and Carlson moving up should Ovi turn from a shooter to a passer, all ready to crush one timers if Ovi can find a passing lane. He gets up into the play so early, there will be lanes.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I can't be the only one intrigued with how well Poti did with Carlson many moons ago, and do want to see that pair get another look before Poti retires.

Alzner Green
Poti Carlson
Hammer Orlov

While it's a short season, I don't expect many earth shaking changes early on, but still some things just make sense to some of us.

Alzner and Carlson is great da bomb our future etc but I seem to remember them looking a little overwhelmed at times in the playoffs past. Carlson finally ups his game for the playoffs, but still, that pair didn't dominate enough to be inseparable.

Not that all our D pairings over time haven't in playoffs past, but we have a nice mix of offense and defense, right and lefts, and of course, young and old. Its not that hard to split them all up in a logical (to me) way.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
it was already reported that the caps would not have had to pay backstrom's contract if he was injured and unable to play when the season started. same conditions apply to laich. its why many nhl players didnt go to europe.

n3ss

Nov 29, 2011
Whats the word on Orlov? Surely when he's healthy he'll get some games?

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
I can't be the only one intrigued with how well Poti did with Carlson many moons ago, and do want to see that pair get another look before Poti retires.

Alzner Green
Poti Carlson
Hammer Orlov
While it's a short season, I don't expect many earth shaking changes early on, but still some things just make sense to some of us.

Alzner and Carlson is great da bomb our future etc but I seem to remember them looking a little overwhelmed at times in the playoffs past. Carlson finally ups his game for the playoffs, but still, that pair didn't dominate enough to be inseparable.

Not that all our D pairings over time haven't in playoffs past, but we have a nice mix of offense and defense, right and lefts, and of course, young and old. Its not that hard to split them all up in a logical (to me) way.

What is Orlov's current status. Is he still injured at Hershey. Also thought his play at Hershey this season had not been up to par.

Dare I say that 6th D-Man may be the double nickel, with Erskine and Hillen in the press box.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002

Alzner Green
Poti Carlson
Hammer Orlov

I'm more intrigued to see if Poti can play more than a handful of games before he's out longterm again. One of McPhee's best free agent signings quickly turned into an injury bust with a contract extension to boot. If Poti stays healthy, he's going to be a big upgrade to the blueline regardless of position or partner. If he plays #55 to the bench never to be seen again, all the better in my eyes.

Halpysback*

Seems a bit unnecessary to burn bridges like that unless they're dying for cap space.

I'm sure that's something that'll float around in the back of Laich's head when he's trying to give everything he has in the playoffs.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
it was already reported that the caps would not have had to pay backstrom's contract if he was injured and unable to play when the season started. same conditions apply to laich. its why many nhl players didnt go to europe.

Yeah but being officially suspended for it? I don't remember seeing that talked about.

I wonder if Laich can't help but be a little pissed. I wonder if it's a team option or if all the teams in the NHL must go that same route?

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Yeah but being officially suspended for it? I don't remember seeing that talked about.

I wonder if Laich can't help but be a little pissed. I wonder if it's a team option or if all the teams in the NHL must go that same route?

suspended is the official status applied based on the cba when a player is injured and cant perform from a non-nhl injury like this. thats all.

laich and backstrom both knew that if they couldnt play they wouldnt get paid. the not getting paid part is the suspended part. the nhl doesnt have a non football physically unable to perform list like the nfl....or is that mlb?

HunterSThompson

[}=[][][][][]
Jun 19, 2007
Washington, DC

All the players knew what they were getting into when they signed overseas. Most if not all took out insurance policies against possible injuries. I am not 100% sure that the insurance policies cover short term injuries, but I would assume it wouldn't have been too hard to include that in any insurance negotiations. He should still be paid, albeit the check will not come from the caps.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
very...interesting...

Guess we'll know more when we see some Laich interviews. Interesting about suspension vs like in the NFL...they have the NFI PUP list...suspended just has a negative connotation.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
It's not mandatory that the teams do it. They have the right to do so and not pay them while they're out. Some will, some won't.

Halpysback*

I wonder if Ilitch would have Holland suspend Filpulla if something like this happened.

Halpysback*

Ah the Caps are a low rent organization insinuation... Surprise, surprise...

Nah, I'm just wondering if this is something Ilitch or Holland would do. Or something Lou would do to a good soldier like Elias or Clarkson for that matter.

McPhee hasn't exactly been known for tiptoeing around his players' feelings in his tenure here. If you don't think these things resonate over time I don't know what to tell you.

If I'm McPhee I commend Laich on his commitment to staying in game shape and don't bring it up at all. 50 grand for good karma is a small price to pay in a pro sports world. Not when we literally have 5+ million festering away.

Personally, I don't care much for players. They're tools used to accomplish a task. But you want to press every advantage and hit every right note when dealing with them. You can get much more out of them that way than you'd think. Cheaper contracts and players playing out of their minds in the playoff for starters.

Last edited by a moderator:

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Hockey players have long roamed the streets of the US, as almost complete unknowns.

Dirtbag59

May 13, 2011
What are you talking about?

Its better to have him going left to right dynamically, instead of right to left. You will see him using his right hand to protect the puck as he switches to right side.

He cannot drive from the right wing, its physically impossible, he has to lean left, but his a right handed, hot, that makes no sense, he does a fine job of using the dynamic switch and has never had a problem protecting the puck with his right arm and legs. He just need support from behind. If he wants to switch to the right wing and you will see it previous times, he usually skates behind a team mate, which draws back checkers, he never had that support the past 2 years.

There is a common mistake goalies make when Ovechkin scores on the right wing, five hole or losing their net, if the goalie doesn't lose their net, Ovechkin has pretty much no angle. The other common thing is the fake slap shot to get them to drop then sniping it over their shoulder, which in most cases is due to again, losing their net.

Look back a few pages, I posted a video of all Kovalchuks goals from last year, and I posted a description of each one. I wouldn't describe any of them as goals roaring down the right wing, it was either a good pass from the behind the net, or a 2 on 0. Then a few ones where he swinged over from the left wing and shot at the far post, which happens due to goalies losing their net too.

Honestly to me it could go either way and your posting of the Kovalchuk video brings up some good points. However going back and watching Ovechkin goals of when scores coming down the right side vs coming down the left theres just so much less effort involved and less of a chance for a defender to get their stick onto the puck before Ovi has a chance to shoot.

Check out this video and watch goals 3, 4, 5, and 6. Thats the type of stuff I envsion seeing from Ovi on the RW.

Thing is when you got a fastball it doesn't matter if you know whats coming, very little can prepare you for the sheer speed of full speed Ovechkin wrister. The other thing I like about RW Ovi is it also seems like it'll do a better job of getting him in position for cross crease tap ins.

We'll see how it turns out, I could very well be dead wrong about this but I like RW Ovi, and at this point am wondering why the switch wasn't made sooner, but yes I fully acknowledge the sheer amount of goals in the Kovalchuck video of him scoring from the Left side of the ice.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln
    Mainz vs FC Köln
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $380.00