Speculation: 2013 Caps training camp thread

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Erskine Flyers E4 pending

Its hard not to see a log jam at LD.

Poti coming back a gamer makes me wonder if Hammer is a candidate. It sure seemed like he was on the block a year ago. Sarge would fetch what, a 3rd, George of course holds no matter the return. If Hillen is a strong RD I see us holding him but of course would rather see Orlov. Schilling and Kundratek are in mix for future years but could be moved but kind of doubt it on 2nd thought. I hold Erskine as I have long said in our playoff history, he has far exceeded expectations starting with our first series against the flyers.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Thats the problem. From George getting Sarge out of Hershey maybe a little early, vaulting to mr nasty, to having him go back to man coverage school last winter, running around with Wideman in what was closer to a comedy act, George appears willing to hold him at all costs.

He knew it would be a long slow development and its hard to see improvement because its at a snails pace... max.

I know its petty but I have always thought drafting Sarge over Green told me all I needed to know about who George envisioned leading this team. I dont care if another team wanted Sarge, they also should have wanted Green. Or all been a smoke screen to make us take him.

George doesnt want to be wrong. No one does. Strong Hold.

Last edited:

Portable Mink

Sep 12, 2005
Melbourne, Australia
Schultz has one major issue and that is that he does not utilise his assets to make him the best player he can be.

he is massive, yet doesnt use his body.
he uses his stick well which is long and with great reach, but thats only half of it.

if he were smaller, he would be able to use his agility but he doesnt have that, he has size, so he has to use it.

Halpysback*

His major issue is that he has a ton of major issues.

He's slow, not particularly hockey smart, not physical and not capable of offense. He needs to overcome at least 2 of those to become anything more than a bottom pairing guy on a cup winner. He's not going to unless he sees the light in a really big way. Like, Jesus comes down and punches him in the face while someone is holding his family at gunpoint until he learns2hockey.

Chara was the most driven person ever. I could see it with him. Not so with Schultz.

Jurcina has a better chance of becoming the next Chara.

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
It just seems like Schultz never gained the level center of gravity and core strength to be a strong skater for his 6'6 frame. Thats why he looks so shaky in that huge body, GMGM still holding out hope he grows into his body.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
interesting that dallas gave up on fistric and traded him off for a 4th or something. mcphee took schultz before green because he knew dallas selecting in between wanted either schultz or fistric. looks like neither have been a big success.

Halpysback*

Fistric is a great hitter at this point. Pretty much a better hockey player version of Erskine without the fighting cred. he gets his positioning in order he'd be as valuable as Murray or Greene. Has a hill to climb but much smaller one than Schultz. Also seems more mentally adept to climb it.

I remember when Mark Stuart was considered crap when I wanted him with Green and now he's a coveted 2nd pairing DFD.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
It just seems like Schultz never gained the level center of gravity and core strength to be a strong skater for his 6'6 frame. Thats why he looks so shaky in that huge body, GMGM still holding out hope he grows into his body.

I think you may be right there. When he falls, it looks like a guy on skates for the first time. He is the only player that I laugh when he falls. It is so awkward, its hilarious. Watch for it.

I still feel like not giving full effort holds him back, and that full effort alone makes a guy like Erskine always outperform him come playoff games.

I have seen him for years look over at his partner whenever someone has to hustle after a puck. Remember in the playoffs, Wideman jumps for a puck at our blue, misses, Sarge watching. Sarge starts drifting back to the goal, watching Wideman scrambling back. Wides hustles got behind the goal line as icing is waved off, and a goal is scored. Yet Sarge didnt even make it to the goal and never covered anyone. I am not sure I have ever seen such a passive timid play from a defensemen in a playoff game. Bench worthy.

A guy his size can be assertive, a force. Sure not run around and get out of position, but playing a guy against the boards, or cleaning up the crease. Those are areas he should do well. Those are his areas of weakness.

His strength is consistently staying in his zone.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
Kundratek makes AHL all-star team. I know it doesn't necessarily translate to success at the NHL level, but the organization is starting to show some depth at the defensive position with the likes of Orlov, Schilling, Kundratek and Wey in the wings. I see some of these replacing the likes of Hamrlik, Erskine, Hillen and Poti who will all be UFAs at the end of this season and Schultz a year out.

brs03

Coo coo ca cha!
Jun 2, 2008
Maryland
I'd worry about upside, but in terms of bottom-pairing depth they certainly make sense as an easy solution (or perhaps fallback) given the lowered cap over the next two seasons.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
I'd worry about upside, but in terms of bottom-pairing depth they certainly make sense as an easy solution (or perhaps fallback) given the lowered cap over the next two seasons.

Definitely not looking at any of them being in the top 4 pairings, at least not early on. The team will still need to go out and acquire a top D-Man to pair with Green after this season. Depending on how Poti performs this season, would not mind him returning as a 5/6 to mentor some of the FNGs.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

long term, i dont think the caps have an opening for a top 4 d. green, orlov, carlson and alzner are not going anywhere anytime soon. the caps need one vet for the 3rd pair and use one of the young guys. caps only really need one of the young guys to make it and a couple to be useful injury fill in

brs03

Coo coo ca cha!
Jun 2, 2008
Maryland
long term, i dont think the caps have an opening for a top 4 d. green, orlov, carlson and alzner are not going anywhere anytime soon. the caps need one vet for the 3rd pair and use one of the young guys. caps only really need one of the young guys to make it and a couple to be useful injury fill in

Green's only signed for 3 years (depending on what you mean by "long" term), and I never want to assume that Orlov will cement himself as a top-4 Dman and/or not regress for some reason (expect and hope so, obviously, but won't take it as a given yet).

But it's true, they're set up to be relatively stable for the next few years if they can make sure the money always works.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
When did Orlov get a top 4 role? I think it's safe to say neither of Alzner or Carlson are going anywhere, but the other two could be had in a good hockey deal.

SimplySensational

Heard of Hough
Mar 27, 2011
VA
Edit nvm its out already I guess.

Marcus Johansson - Nicklas Backstrom – Alex Ovechkin

Wojtek Wolski – Mike Ribeiro – Troy Brouwer

Jason Chimera – Jay Beagle – Joel Ward

Matt Hendricks – Mathieu Perreault – Eric Fehr/Joey Crabb

Alzner-Carlson
Hamrlik-Green

Schultz, Erskine, Hillen, Poti fighting for last 2 spots.

Last edited:

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
When did Orlov get a top 4 role? I think it's safe to say neither of Alzner or Carlson are going anywhere, but the other two could be had in a good hockey deal.

To my eyes, Orlov was our third best defenseman (who played) last season. Even if he just develops marginally, I think he's easily a top 4 dman and as a right shot with offense and some bite to his game, I would definitely make him a part of the future top 4.

The only 4 roster untradables to me are Ovechkin, Backstrom, Alzner, Carlson. But I'd be very upset if we moved Orlov.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Safe to say he's got a ways to go. He couldn't even crack the lineup when the games mattered. He's a good young player. He's not a top 4 D on a contender...not yet. 2 years from now if he's not a top 4, he'll be a disappointment for sure.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

ive been wrong before, but if green is playing impact offensive hockey, he's too valuable to trade. mcphee has doesnt tend to trade any prospect player that he thinks is an nhl player.

so, i would disagree that for the foreseeable future neither of green or orlov are moving.

orlov going forward is a top 4 defenseman. unless you project him to fail/bust, he is projected to that level. we were not talking about orlov as a top 4 for this season but in the future where the ahl prospects plus wey are sitting now.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Didn't say either is likely to be traded, but I don't think they're anywhere near untouchable for the right hockey deals. And Green playing impactful offensive hockey is far from a foregone conclusion. At this point, I think most would be happy with a healthy season and solid play in both ends.

Orlov is a top 4 D when he cements himself in that role on the ice, not based upon message board projections. This year is going to be very telling for Orlov's future IMO. This is the year where he should force the team to keep him in the lineup, even in the playoffs. If he doesn't, it will be a disappointment in his development curve. Just wish he had a little more size to go along with his skillset and snarl.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Didn't say either is likely to be traded, but I don't think they're anywhere near untouchable for the right hockey deals. And Green playing impactful offensive hockey is far from a foregone conclusion. At this point, I think most would be happy with a healthy season and solid play in both ends.

Orlov is a top 4 D when he cements himself in that role on the ice, not based upon message board projections. This year is going to be very telling for Orlov's future IMO. This is the year where he should force the team to keep him in the lineup, even in the playoffs. If he doesn't, it will be a disappointment in his development curve. Just wish he had a little more size to go along with his skillset and snarl.

a. untouchable. on most teams, most players are very unlikely to be involved in trade talks. if green struggles, i would not be surprised to see him trade. if he is playing well, i see no viable scenario where he is.

b. orlov in a conversation involving wey, schilling and so forth is both ahead of the process and projected as a top 4. if you have 5 defense prospects, you cant plan on all 5 being in the top 4.

that orlov was scratched for the playoffs shouldnt be held against him. orlov was in his first na pro season. he had played more hockey games than at any other time in his life. the caps were healthy on defense for the playoffs. all those things worked against orlov playing. i would expect a different outcome this year

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
Safe to say he's got a ways to go. He couldn't even crack the lineup when the games mattered. He's a good young player. He's not a top 4 D on a contender...not yet. 2 years from now if he's not a top 4, he'll be a disappointment for sure.

If you actually believe dman playoff spots/icetime were awarded based on merit last year I don't know what to tell you. Wideman/Schultz were historically horrible.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->