Speculation: 2013 Caps training camp thread

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
Wilson re-assigned to Plymouth. Frees up a spot to claim Aucoin so he can replace Backstrom on PP1.

Huh. I thought they'd keep him up for more of camp.

Does that mean anything re: Wolski, Fehr, or Laich? My initial reaction is that Laich is closer than previously indicated.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Huh. I thought they'd keep him up for more of camp.

Does that mean anything re: Wolski, Fehr, or Laich? My initial reaction is that Laich is closer than previously indicated.

I tend to doubt it. They need their final roster by 3pm Friday and if they've decided he's going back, might as well just send him, especially since it's the middle of the season for the junior teams.

QuadrupleDeke

33% more deke
Aug 6, 2009
Boston, MA
I really expected them to give him 5 games up here.

Does anybody know if he played 5 games here, then the Calder Cup playoffs with the Bears, would those combine to burn a year of his ELC?

Brad Tolliver

Terror Goes Into
Feb 17, 2004
Overtime

Does anybody know if he played 5 games here, then the Calder Cup playoffs with the Bears, would those combine to burn a year of his ELC?
No Calder Cup playoffs won't burn off a year of ELC, but he can't go to Hershey until his junior season is over.

swimmer77

More PIM's than Points
Jun 22, 2010
in water
I'm interested to see Ovechkin on the PK. Someone (newscaster, writer, somebody) suggested the Caps do this last year. He is a threat anytime he's on the ice and I agree with Oates that it could definitely plant a seed in the opposing PP - like we can't screw up at the blueline otherwise someone is off to the races. And maybe Ovi will become more defensively responsible.

Or the idea may blow up in everyone's faces. LOL But the PK was ranked only 21st during the season although was improved in the playoffs.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

with a 48 game schedule teams dont have times to give up to give a kid a few games.

Portable Mink

Sep 12, 2005
Melbourne, Australia
Chimmer's speed is less valuable on the PP and his poor hands hurt him more, and while I think Fehr should get some PP looks when he plays he's not exactly a net presence guy so I can understand why things are as they are for now.

Are Chimmers hands really that bad anymore?
Honestly, he catches breakout passes pretty well, and his shooting, well its either missing the net or he rips it past the goalie in a corner. Id much prefer than than say someone like Ward or even Brouwer a lot of the time who get poor shots on net.

Chimmer puts his all into every shot, which makes it very fun to watch.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
As of now the roster then should look something like:

Backstrom
Beagle
Chimera
Crabb
Fehr
Hendricks
Johansson
Laich
Ovechkin
Perreault
Ribeiro
Ward
Wolski
Alzner
Carlson
Erskine
Green
Hamrlik
Hillen
Poti
Schultz
Holtby
Neuvy

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
I like this kid already!

Tom Wilson @tom_wilso 3h
Thanks to all the fans and everyone in the @washcaps organization for a great week. Wishing the boys best of luck in Tampa on Saturday.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
As of now the roster then should look something like:

Backstrom
Beagle
Chimera
Crabb
Fehr
Hendricks
Johansson
Laich
Ovechkin
Perreault
Ribeiro
Ward
Wolski
Alzner
Carlson
Erskine
Green
Hamrlik
Hillen
Poti
Schultz
Holtby
Neuvy

Wow, that D... unless Poti is in 2009 playoff form, after Carlzner and Green, yikes. :help:

amjay13

Jan 7, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
What a breath of fresh air..........playing your star player top minutes, attempting to score goals. I appreciate what Hunter did in a tough spot last year but it sounds like the Caps will be watchable again this year.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Do we all want Ovi blocking shots on the PK?

I will say I hated how he was always serving our bench minors. Sometimes, sure. Every time, hell no. We end up 4 on 4 he is stuck in the box.

I am not sure he ever scored breaking out of the box. Maybe once.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Green deserves a conditional as well. Here's hoping for some offense.

I think Green has come a long way in his D game, but yeah maybe.

More importantly for me, who could be had to be his partner? Hammer's not been terrible, but as a standard, not terrible isn't what I'd hope for. Plus it would be great to get some stability in our top 4.

I'm bad at this trade stuff, but... Volchenkov? I know he's got a stupid contract, but Hamrlik is gone after this year and maybe you have 2 buyouts available next year.

Who else?

Halpysback*

Ovi on the PK would be a great for teaching him positioning, reading plays and helping him get back to playing on instinct. Ultimately though it's not his game. Likewise, Alzner would benefit greatly from PP time developmentally, even though ultimately that's not his game either.

If we want a PK offensive weapon Johansson is probably the best choice for being groomed into that role. Beagle-Johansson could develop into an excellent top PK pairing.

Halpysback*

Yeah he does... but it's not second nature to him, causing him to think, lose a step, and be forced to use his stick to compensate, thus drawing a hooking call (did I get that right, Halpysback?).

My take on Semin is that he generally overthought on both offense and defense. However he was never really coached the defensive side of the game until Hunter and had to figure it out on his own. As all self-taught people can testify, if you learn something on your own you acquire bad habits and often don't know/don't feel it's important to correct them. As a result his go-to reflexive move on defense was to stick/hook people, which is usually your first reflexive move if someone is blowing by you and you want to stop him. From what I recall he cut down on those significantly under Hunter. There was a bad one on Callahan but that's about it. His defensive positioning was always good and his defensive commitment was there for the most part (though we all know his inconsistency), and he'd make lots of great neutral zone plays. If someone works with him diligently on it and manages to replace the bad instincts with good ones he could be an elite defensive winger.

One thing I found interesting was his agent cited limited PK minutes as a major cause of disappointment. Why would Semin, a soft offensive player, want PK time so bad? My take on it is that he found PK time much less stressful than ES and PP, since on the PK he was not expected to score and being scored on is no big deal. As a result, he didn't overthink things at all and just went on reading plays and deferring to his instincts. PK time for him may have actually been rest time to clear his head. Look back at his PK shifts - he's playing shinny and playing it better than anyone on the ice. Any time he gets the puck he either clears it well or eats up a minute playing four corners.

If Muller knows what he's doing he'll give Semin top PK minutes with Jordan Staal.

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
Ovi on the PK would be a great for teaching him positioning, reading plays and helping him get back to playing on instinct. Ultimately though it's not his game. Likewise, Alzner would benefit greatly from PP time developmentally, even though ultimately that's not his game either.

If we want a PK offensive weapon Johansson is probably the best choice for being groomed into that role. Beagle-Johansson could develop into an excellent top PK pairing.

Bolded is how I feel about it. Plenty of other top players in the league play on the PK. Always felt that it improved Semin's game when he did.

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
I think Green has come a long way in his D game, but yeah maybe.

More importantly for me, who could be had to be his partner? Hammer's not been terrible, but as a standard, not terrible isn't what I'd hope for. Plus it would be great to get some stability in our top 4.

I meant that he needs to prove he can last 48 games.

It'll be either Hammer or Schultz, so ugh. Maybe Oates doesn't suffer from the bizarre Schultz blindness that afflicts the Caps brass. One can hope.

Portable Mink

Sep 12, 2005
Melbourne, Australia
Johansson - Backstrom - Ovechkin

2 good young swedes with great 2 way games and the bull.
I hope this really gets a chance to gel and i think theres some creative upside with Johansson and Ovi switching sides on rushes and confusing defenders.

I, like all of us probably, are hoping that Oates can find what is missing from Ovi's game to get him back up the top creating great offense and not being so predictable. Hes still an amazing player, but both him and Backstrom have been down for a while from when they were probably a top 3 1-2 punch in the league a few years ago.
This line should work well.

Wolski - Ribeiro - Laich

At first i was tossing up the idea of having Fehr or Perreault here instead of Laich but with Wolski not exactly tearing the world up of late and Ribeiro a bit on the small side, its probably more important that Laich plays here. Its not the most appealing second line. I think we are missing a sniper of sorts unless Wolski can really turn his career around. I am pretty doubtful.

Chimera - Beagle - Fehr

Big line. Good speed. Ward could be here and might be against potent top lines, but id like to see Fehr get a look here. My original line up had Fehr potentially on the second line with Laich centreing the 3rd... so we will see. Chimmer is one of my favs. Always plays hard and draws penalties and can score imo well enough. I really like the look of this line.

Hendricks - Perreault - Ward

Its always hard putting an offensive minded small guy in the line up when hes not on a top 2 line. but what to do?
He deserves a shot and im not sure what his off season has been like or if he has been playing so ive thrown him here and put some defensive responsibility with his line mates.

Crabb

Schultz Green

We dont really have many other options to play with Green here. Poti if healthy would be handy but hes still a while off. if ever.
Green is still probably the most talented offensive defender out there. I am glad that the green light has been given for guys like him, Carlson, Alzner & Hamrlik. Whilst Hamr is past his best and Alzner isnt really an offensive threat, they are both smart enough to know when jumping up will create enough pressure for possible scoring chances.
Heres hoping Green can get back in that 60 point range because his defensive qualities are about B+ to A now after spending a lot of time on it, we all know his offensive will be there if he feels comfortable in using it.

Alzner Carlson

Erskine Hamrlik

Holtby

Ad

Upcoming events

• Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $1,214.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Sweden vs Germany