Overall:
9. Leon Draisaitl
18. Darnell Nurse

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=729655&navid=nhl:topheads

Fixed.

Is scout A an Oiler scout?

40oz

Jan 21, 2007
Interesting that Sam Morin only got one vote (Scout A - #35).

edit: Worth noting, William Lagesson's preseason started last Friday. He's played two games and was pointless in both, in his debut he was a +3 and in his next game he wasn't awarded an assist, but he was involved in a goal:

William Lagesson fired the puck from the blue line up and over the goal. It hit the end glass behind the net, and rolled towards the front of the goal. Returning forward Brett Boeing was in the right place at the right time, and shoveled it into the open goal to make it 2-1 Fighting Saints with just over five minutes to play in the period.

Last edited:

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Klefbom is 33rd on Masisaks list too. 53rd OA

They used Calder eligibilty, so Marincin and 44 NHL games is not eligible. I could see him ranked around 50th.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
Do you think Nurse is back in the Sault this season?

I think it's at least an 80% likelihood if I had to put a number on it, but I do think if he has a good camp that he'll at least get some NHL games this time before sending him down, just to give him a taste of what he has to overcome if he really wants to make the team full-time in 15/16.

The 20% I'll reserve if there's a rash of unforeseen injuries during camp to other dmen, combined with Nurse being dominant. Otherwise I don't see it being likely.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Fayne
Petry
Schultz
Nikitin
Ference
Marincin
Aulie
Klefbom

That's the top 8 on D now.

For Nurse to stick... he's going to have to win a spot in the top 6... because obviously sitting in the popcorn box for most games at the #7D spot does him little to no good.

I can't really see a spot for him unless he literally kills it and blows everyone out of the water in camp and makes the Oilers send down both Marincin and Klefbom to the AHL (Aulie will likely be the #7 popcorn eater no matter what).

I can see Nurse surpassing one of Klefbom/Marincin (probably Klefbom at this stage)... but hard to seeing him passing both this season.

I agree... an injury to someone on the D-core is likely his best (maybe only) chance at sticking around this season.

hfp

Jul 30, 2009
SSM
Fayne
Petry
Schultz
Nikitin
Ference
Marincin
Aulie
Klefbom

That's the top 8 on D now.

For Nurse to stick... he's going to have to win a spot in the top 6... because obviously sitting in the popcorn box for most games at the #7D spot does him little to no good.

I can't really see a spot for him unless he literally kills it and blows everyone out of the water in camp and makes the Oilers send down both Marincin and Klefbom to the AHL (Aulie will likely be the #7 popcorn eater no matter what).

I can see Nurse surpassing one of Klefbom/Marincin (probably Klefbom at this stage)... but hard to seeing him passing both this season.

I agree... an injury to someone on the D-core is likely his best (maybe only) chance at sticking around this season.

this is good news to me :) haha we need him this year for our run..

I figured he would get the 10 game trial well 9 games I guess haha.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
It's hard for me to see a spot for Nurse to even get a 9 game trial... unless they send down Aulie to OKC for those 9 games... which I guess is possible if the Oilers feel Nurse deserves the 9 game look after a strong camp/exhibition showing.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
It's hard for me to see a spot for Nurse to even get a 9 game trial... unless they send down Aulie to OKC for those 9 games... which I guess is possible if the Oilers feel Nurse deserves the 9 game look after a strong camp/exhibition showing.

Actually if you're really looking at it honestly, it's VERY easy to see Nurse getting the 9 game look, because he CAN'T go to the AHL.

If we're being honest, that's where Nurse should play this year, but he can't, that's the nature of the rules.

So what's more (and most) likely is that, as long as he has a strong camp/preseason, he will get the 9 game look at two of Marincin, Klefbom and Aulie will be in OKC to start the year because it's easy to do that.

If you're the Oilers, you need to see where Nurse is in his development, will it be basically a waste for him to go and be much better then his competition in Junior, or is there some value in that because he's not fully NHL ready.

Because Nurse has to go back to the OHL, this is why he's almost assured the 9 game tryout, not really sure what's complicated about that.

rockinghockey

Oct 22, 2008
EDM could keep 8 dmen to start the year. It is not like Nurse has to play the first 9 games. Pietrangelo did not play the first 9 games I believe. He could play two games then practice with the team and sit up in the box to see the game from a different point of view. That would be beneficial for him also. Plus while he sits he getting paid some big bucks and learning at the same time.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I don't think it will be that easy to get him 9 games.

I can't see them playing him over their new acquisitions, Petry, Schultz, Marincin or the captain unless Nurse clearly outplays them at camp. I don't think they would risk losing Aulie on waivers just to get Nurse some games too.

If they carry 8 defensemen to start, that means they'll only have two spots(#4RW+13F) for Gazdic, Lander, Pitlick and Joensuu. They probably wouldn't mind losing Joensuu, but I don't think they would risk losing any of the first three guys on waivers before seeing them in the NHL this coming season.

The only way to keep the roster intact and get Nurse on the roster is sending Marincin down to the AHL and I think that would be a kick in the teeth for him if he doesn't **** the bed at camp. Because of that, I think Nurse will get some preseason games, but be back in SSM before the season starts.

Last edited:

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Actually if you're really looking at it honestly, it's VERY easy to see Nurse getting the 9 game look, because he CAN'T go to the AHL.

If we're being honest, that's where Nurse should play this year, but he can't, that's the nature of the rules.

So what's more (and most) likely is that, as long as he has a strong camp/preseason, he will get the 9 game look at two of Marincin, Klefbom and Aulie will be in OKC to start the year because it's easy to do that.

If you're the Oilers, you need to see where Nurse is in his development, will it be basically a waste for him to go and be much better then his competition in Junior, or is there some value in that because he's not fully NHL ready.

Because Nurse has to go back to the OHL, this is why he's almost assured the 9 game tryout, not really sure what's complicated about that.

I agree the AHL is the obvious place for Nurse... and obviously he can't go there.

Also waivers have to be taken into consideration in any Oilers moves after training camp...

Hall-RNH-Eberle
Perron-Arcobello-Purcell
Pouliot-Draisaitl-Yakupov
Joensuu-Gordon-Hendricks
Gazdic(IR)-Lander-Pitlick

Nikitin-Fayne
Marincin-Petry
Ference-Schultz
Aulie

Scrivens
Fasth

That's 23 players + Gazdic I assume on IR.

All those guys I expect to make the Oilers cut... keep in mind all those players have to pass through waivers EXCEPT for Yakupov/Draisaitl/Marincin.

I think they'll give Draisaitl at least a 9 game look and honestly I think they'll keep him up all season but regardless he takes up one of the 23 roster spots for the 1st 9 games.

I obviously don't think they'll send Yakupov to the AHL... and Marincin I think has earned his stay so he won't be sent down.

Keep in mind that Pitlick/Lander now also have to pass through waivers and I don't know if the Oilers want to take the chance that they get picked up by another team... so that's a consideration as well.

Gazdic I assume starts on the IR... so that is one more roster spot available... probably filled by Pitlick.

Unless there are injuries (which there very well could be) I don't see too much room for Nurse and his 9 game trial (which he obviously deserves).

Options that could happen to make room are Joensuu sent down (possible) or Aulie sent down (again possible but I don't know if the Oilers would want to pass him through waivers)... or Marincin dumped to the AHL for 9 games just to make room for Nurse (unlikely imo).

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I agree the AHL is the obvious place for Nurse... and obviously he can't go there.

Also waivers have to be taken into consideration in any Oilers moves after training camp...

Hall-RNH-Eberle
Perron-Arcobello-Purcell
Pouliot-Draisaitl-Yakupov
Joensuu-Gordon-Hendricks
Gazdic(IR)-Lander-Pitlick

Nikitin-Fayne
Marincin-Petry
Ference-Schultz
Aulie

Scrivens
Fasth

That's 23 players + Gazdic I assume on IR.

All those guys I expect to make the Oilers cut... keep in mind all those players have to pass through waivers EXCEPT for Yakupov/Draisaitl/Marincin.

I think they'll give Draisaitl at least a 9 game look and honestly I think they'll keep him up all season but regardless he takes up one of the 23 roster spots for the 1st 9 games.

I obviously don't think they'll send Yakupov to the AHL... and Marincin I think has earned his stay so he won't be sent down.

Keep in mind that Pitlick/Lander now also have to pass through waivers and I don't know if the Oilers want to take the chance that they get picked up by another team... so that's a consideration as well.

Gazdic I assume starts on the IR... so that is one more roster spot available... probably filled by Pitlick.

Unless there are injuries (which there very well could be) I don't see too much room for Nurse and his 9 game trial (which he obviously deserves).

Options that could happen to make room are Joensuu sent down (possible) or Aulie sent down (again possible but I don't know if the Oilers would want to pass him through waivers)... or Marincin dumped to the AHL for 9 games just to make room for Nurse (unlikely imo).

Aulie can probably go down, Marincin too.

I see it a little different, I just assume Joensuu won't be here this season. I've written him off the team in my mind.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
In the off chance Aulie does get picked off waivers, the team will have to run with 6 defensemen or have Klefbom/Nurse/Marincin sitting in the press box for the rest of the season.

I think the Aulie signing is a pretty good indication that MacT doesn't want to do that.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
In the off chance Aulie does get picked off waivers, the team will have to run with 6 defensemen or have Klefbom/Nurse/Marincin sitting in the press box for the rest of the season.

I think the Aulie signing is a pretty good indication that MacT doesn't want to do that.

Perhaps, and that's fine, but there's space if Joensuu isn't here there's space. I just assume Joensuu clears waivers and goes back to Europe.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Aulie can probably go down, Marincin too.

I see it a little different, I just assume Joensuu won't be here this season. I've written him off the team in my mind.

I agree about Joensuu... he was pretty much a waste of roster spot last year and will be desperately fighting for his NHL life this camp... he is easily expendable and I'm sure the Oilers could slot in a player like Pitlick/Pakarinen or even Pinizzotto in his place. None of those are proven NHL players either... but neither is Joensuu. :)

Still looking a bit farther down the line... when Gazdic comes off IR... the Oilers have too many bodies even if they do dump Joensuu.

One of Lander/Pitlick/Aulie would have to be exposed to waivers and sent down to OKC... again unless they send down a waiver exempt player like Marincin which I doubt they will do.

Also this doesn't even take into account that Klefbom fits somewhere into the equation... he's waiver exempt so he's easy to send down to OKC but the Oilers may want him on the big club getting NHL minutes.

Also... the Oilers are #3 on the waiver priority list... small chance that they may pick up someone decent that they could use at C from another team with too many bodies.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I agree about Joensuu... he was pretty much a waste of roster spot last year and will be desperately fighting for his NHL life this camp... he is easily expendable and I'm sure the Oilers could slot in a player like Pitlick/Pakarinen or even Pinizzotto in his place. None of those are proven NHL players either... but neither is Joensuu. :)

Still looking a bit farther down the line... when Gazdic comes off IR... the Oilers have too many bodies even if they do dump Joensuu.

One of Lander/Pitlick/Aulie would have to be exposed to waivers and sent down to OKC... again unless they send down a waiver exempt player like Marincin which I doubt they will do.

Also this doesn't even take into account that Klefbom fits somewhere into the equation... he's waiver exempt so he's easy to send down to OKC but the Oilers may want him on the big club getting NHL minutes.

Also... the Oilers are #3 on the waiver priority list... small chance that they may pick up someone decent that they could use at C from another team with too many bodies.

It will also be put up or shut up time for Lander and Pitlick, wouldn't surprise me if one or both were on waivers. And there's Arcobello who will get a shot, but could end up on waivers too.

And there's always, Draisaitl back to Junior too.

I don't sincerely see the Oilers having a problem with "too many bodies" because I see Mac-T less afraid of waiving tweeners.

Either way, I would expect, unless he has a garbage camp, Nurse will get a 9 game look, because making sure Nurse is ready or not for the NHL, so Klefbom and even Marincin being down for a couple weeks won't hurt them.

The "interesting" part in my mind, is if Nurse shows he can play and should stay, and there becomes little reason to leave Marincin and/or Klefbom in the minors, then something has to give.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
It will also be put up or shut up time for Lander and Pitlick, wouldn't surprise me if one or both were on waivers. And there's Arcobello who will get a shot, but could end up on waivers too.

And there's always, Draisaitl back to Junior too.

I don't sincerely see the Oilers having a problem with "too many bodies" because I see Mac-T less afraid of waiving tweeners.

Either way, I would expect, unless he has a garbage camp, Nurse will get a 9 game look, because making sure Nurse is ready or not for the NHL, so Klefbom and even Marincin being down for a couple weeks won't hurt them.

The "interesting" part in my mind, is if Nurse shows he can play and should stay, and there becomes little reason to leave Marincin and/or Klefbom in the minors, then something has to give.

That's the "dream" :) ... becoming an actual NHL team that has to worry about what to do with an excess of too many good bonafide NHL players... instead of just worrying about losing "potential" NHL players on waivers.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
That's the "dream" :) ... becoming an actual NHL team that has to worry about what to do with an excess of too many good bonafide NHL players... instead of just worrying about losing "potential" NHL players on waivers.

:laugh: No kidding, it's a nice dream to have, hopefully the team is closer to it then in years past. All I know, there's no Corey Potters, Mark Frasers or Cam Barkers on this team.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006

I don't see why Nurse needs a 9 game look. It won't be definitive anyway. Gagner looked awesome after 9 games. Monahan too last year. Then game 40 rolls around and they are hitting the wall hard.

Just send Nurse down and let him play juniors and make the WJC. Then give him at least half a season, preferably a whole season in the AHL next year.

That's the way to develop a prospect. It's not like it hurt Subban and that guy has a Norris.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I don't see why Nurse needs a 9 game look. It won't be definitive anyway. Gagner looked awesome after 9 games. Monahan too last year. Then game 40 rolls around and they are hitting the wall hard.

Just send Nurse down and let him play juniors and make the WJC. Then give him at least half a season, preferably a whole season in the AHL next year.

That's the way to develop a prospect. It's not like it hurt Subban and that guy has a Norris.

:facepalm:

He needs, and will get, a 9 game look because he's too good for Juniors, but can't play in the AHL. It's that simple. Going back to the OHL won't kill him, but it also might not further him as much as playing against men might.

I'm not sure what's complicated about this.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond

The way I look at it, giving Nurse the 9 game audition wouldn't be about him being on the verge of making the team, but to give him a taste of the level of play he would be up against so that he knows the reality of the situation. To me that's not a worthless lesson.

I'm not of the opinion that there's only one true way to develop a prospect, The Blues gave Pietrangelo NHL auditions before being sent back to junior and I don't think anyone would disagree that he turned out OK.

It never "hurts" to give a player lots of AHL time, certainly. But, depending on the player, I don't think it's always the optimum path to realize a player's potential. Have a guy play in the AHL long enough, and eventually all you're doing is training him to be an AHL player and having him spin his wheels.

I just think it's a case by case decision, that's all.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
:facepalm:

He needs, and will get, a 9 game look because he's too good for Juniors, but can't play in the AHL. It's that simple. Going back to the OHL won't kill him, but it also might not further him as much as playing against men might.

I'm not sure what's complicated about this.

Too good my ass.

It's not like he put up over a ppg and dominated the WJ tournament last year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad