2013-2014 Prospect Stats and Discussion - Part 2 - Updated March 25th

Soli

Supervision Required
Sep 8, 2005
@coreypronman
Very interested to watch Darnell Nurse tonight. Probably got unfairly dinged after his average U20 performances last year. Big EDM contingent in to watch a few of their players including Nurse, MacTavish in the house.

Ritchie-Reinhart-Duclair
Dickinson-Lazar-Point
Perlini-Bennett-Hawryluk
Paul-Gauthier-Chase

Morrissey-Ekblad
Nurse-McKeown
Morin-Fleury

Jarry and Fucale splitting the net.

Chase & Nurse in action, game time is 5:00PM.

http://stats.hockeycanada.ca/game/show/7838017?subseason=165586&referrer=1253933&referrer=1253933

An Aside... EOK twitter re-tweeted this: "Edmonton Oil Kings forward @CurtisLazar95 will now wear #26 internationally for Canada in honour of Kristians Pelss. #PlayForPelssy"

40oz

Jan 21, 2007
Damn, that Lazar kid is all class. Such a great ambassador for the Oil Kings.

40oz

Jan 21, 2007
via @DubFromAbove

Article on the Giants, and more specifically Jackson Houck
Of course, playing a quicker and more up-tempo style requires fast players. Fortunately, speed and explosiveness was something that both Houck and Geertsen focused on in the offseason. Geertsen’s time in the gym was spent doing a lot of lower body work. “Mostly just lots of sprinting and squats and cleans for explosive power,†he describes. “I need to be faster, it’s a fast game. I need to be faster at this level and the next level, so speed is something I worked on.â€

Houck, on the other hand, completely changed his offseason routine. “I changed my trainer up,†Houck says. “I moved to Ladner and worked out with Ian [Gallagher]. I’ve never had a trainer that pushed me like that. Definitely Ian helped me a lot.â€

“I did more lower body lifting this year to really get my lower body power up. And on the ice I did some power-skating. [Ian]’s a tough trainer, they’re long work outs, but it all pays off.â€

Ian Gallagher is Brendan's father and also trains Lucic.

Edit: Also, I didn't realize Rajala had such a good season in Sweden last year (13g 17a in 37 games). It'll be interesting to see how he fares next season with Phillip Larsen in Khanty-Mansiysk.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2011
So the KHL season starts today and both Anton Slepyshev (Salavat Yulaev - http://en.khl.ru/clubs/salavat_yulaev/team/) and Daniil Zharkov (Torpedo: http://en.khl.ru/clubs/torpedo/team/) are absent from their team's rosters. Could they both be coming to Oilers rookie camp or could they both have been cut from their teams and assigned to their minor league affiliates (VHL)?

That's interesting. Perhaps injuries? Even then, they might be listed.

Maybe they are coming to rookie camp.

OiledUp

Sep 17, 2011

OilBuoy

Sep 8, 2006
They're both right there on the links you listed. Or am I missing something?

Looks like the rosters were updated since last night. So much for that theory. I was also told last night after I made my post that there was no way either player would be in Penticton next week. Hopefully these two guys have much better seasons than last year in the KHL.

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
Soo Greyhounds fan here, what is the general thought on how long Nurse will be staying with the Oilers? Most Hounds fan figure he will be back at some point due to the free agent signings and other prospects with a little more grooming ahead of him... Does he come back after exhibition, after a few games, or do many in Edmonton think he has a good shot of making the big club? Thanks.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Soo Greyhounds fan here, what is the general thought on how long Nurse will be staying with the Oilers? Most Hounds fan figure he will be back at some point due to the free agent signings and other prospects with a little more grooming ahead of him... Does he come back after exhibition, after a few games, or do many in Edmonton think he has a good shot of making the big club? Thanks.

Depends on what he does in camp, but I suspect he'll see atleast the 8 game tryout.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
In other news: Erik Gustafsson (http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=15372), the swedish D-man we didn't sign, had two goals and two assists in Frölundas 7-3 victory over swiss side Geneve-Servette. 3 of the points came on the PP. He's now up six points in three games in Champions Hockey League.

Sure, it's very early, but he looks to have a big season. Still can't get my head around why we didn't sign him. It's not like we're overflowing with skilled offensive D-men who can QB the PP. Besides, with him playing in Sweden, he wouldn't be subject to an eventual logjam on D in OKC, so I really don't see the problem. Oh well.

McRobbiezyg

Oct 21, 2007
In other news: Erik Gustafsson (http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=15372), the swedish D-man we didn't sign, had two goals and two assists in Frölundas 7-3 victory over swiss side Geneve-Servette. 3 of the points came on the PP. He's now up six points in three games in Champions Hockey League.

Sure, it's very early, but he looks to have a big season. Still can't get my head around why we didn't sign him. It's not like we're overflowing with skilled offensive D-men who can QB the PP. Besides, with him playing in Sweden, he wouldn't be subject to an eventual logjam on D in OKC, so I really don't see the problem. Oh well.

i'd bet the glut of left handed defenseman had a lot to do with it

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
i'd bet the glut of left handed defenseman had a lot to do with it

And yet we drafted another one in William Lagesson when plenty of other options was available. Sure, the timeline is not exactly the same for these two players (especially since Lagesson seemingly is heading to college) but still. If they were so worried about adding yet another LHD it would've made sense to draft a rightie, which they didn't.

McRobbiezyg

Oct 21, 2007
And yet we drafted another one in William Lagesson when plenty of other options was available. Sure, the timeline is not exactly the same for these two players (especially since Lagesson seemingly is heading to college) but still. If they were so worried about adding yet another LHD it would've made sense to draft a rightie, which they didn't.

this is true Gustafsson would've taken up a contract spot now, lagesson doesn't for another 5 years. in 5 years we could have a glut of rhd's. i'd like to point out that no team signed him or re-drafted him either

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton

He'll have to have a strong training camp to get 9 games. Will have to beat out Klefbom or Marincin (Keith Aulie too but don't think that will be hard). He's going to have to demonstrate ability in both ends of the rink. Not just defence and not just offence. Toughness, grit, skating I don't think he has anything to prove there. Just show he can think the game well enough to contribute in pre season.

Once he gets his 9 games he'll have an even tougher battle ahead. I think he'd have to make an impact, perhaps even a significant impact on the games to stay. Not just tread water and make a play here or there but show consistency shift to shift.

You probably have a better idea if he can do that then me obviously.

OilBuoy

Sep 8, 2006
Some stats from today's games for Oilers prospects and RFAs in the KHL

Daniil Zharkov vs Ugra
6:12 TOI, 2 SOG, 4 Hits, 4 PIM for Roughing + Tripping. Looks like a high event game despite low TOI

Anton Slepyshev vs Vityaz
8:29 TOI, 1 SOG, 1 A.
Icetime still down but picks up a primary assist on an even strength goal by Iikka Hekkinen

Philip Larsen vs Torpedo
26:17 TOI, 1 SOG, 2 PIM for high-sticking.
Icetime leader amongst all players in this game

Roman Horak vs Salavat Yulaev
14:22 TOI, 2 SOG, 0 PTS/Hits/Blocked Shots

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Slepyshev needs to come to the AHL asap and get prime icetime.

Its sort of a blessing in disguise hes getting shafted for ice time. His development is hurt by the lack of ice time, and might indicate hes not progressing as hoped, however it might motivate him to come to the AHL to get a shot at the NHL. If he was getting prime KHL time and prime money, I doubt hed make the transfer

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Slepyshev needs to come to the AHL asap and get prime icetime.

Its sort of a blessing in disguise hes getting shafted for ice time. His development is hurt by the lack of ice time, and might indicate hes not progressing as hoped, however it might motivate him to come to the AHL to get a shot at the NHL. If he was getting prime KHL time and prime money, I doubt hed make the transfer

I agree... Zharkov especially is basically rotting away in the KHL. 6 minutes per game is "goon time" in the NHL. He won't develop well with that ice time unless he is just going to turn into a psuedo-goon.

Zkarkov is going on 21 as well... so it's not as if he's a green 18 year old getting that type of ice time.

Slepyshev I think will likely come over if I had to guess. He has the talent and most talented players want to play at the highest level... just my speculation but I bet he makes the trip over as soon as the KHL playoffs for his team conclude.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I agree... Zharkov especially is basically rotting away in the KHL. 6 minutes per game is "goon time" in the NHL. He won't develop well with that ice time unless he is just going to turn into a psuedo-goon.

Zkarkov is going on 21 as well... so it's not as if he's a green 18 year old getting that type of ice time.

Slepyshev I think will likely come over if I had to guess. He has the talent and most talented players want to play at the highest level... just my speculation but I bet he makes the trip over as soon as the KHL playoffs for his team conclude.

I don't really have any faith in Zharkov as a prospect. Perhaps he can cut it as a depth AHL guy, but if he stays in the KHL its no loss to me. Like you said, he is older and really hasn't shown much.

Slepyshev on the other hand has always been a more highly regarded prospect. He was ranked 17th by Pronman in 2012 and was impressive at the WJC. I think he has decent potential. Plus with Yakimov coming over, hopefully it gets him to come over too.

OiledUp

Sep 17, 2011
Yeah, the Slepyshev situation is far from ideal. The thing is every time I watched Ufa last season Slepyshev looked better than Hartikainen but Harti got all the opportunity. Have to think it has something to do with the coach prefering veteran players or guys with a track record. Or they know he's leaving at the end of the year, maybe there's merit to the rumour that he was trying to break his contract to come over to NA, and he's being punished. But in that case why keep him on the roster and not send him down?
With Zharkov it seems to be mainly lack of skill.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
From what I've seen of Zharkov (admittedly not a lot)... the guy seems to have decent hands and he certainly has the size.. that's two huge factors that lead to success... decent puck skills and size.

Whats missing is likely hockey iq and the ability to put it all together. Again I haven't seen enough of him to make any completely accurate assessments but the Hartikainen comparision may be fitting... there's another guy who looks like he has the body and drive to be an NHL player but just doesn't have what it takes at that level.

The lesser leagues are littered with players who have 2/3/4 valuable assets to their game.. size, skill, speed etc.. but sometimes what's missing is the iq and ability to put it all together and reach their full potential... a player who ends up being less than the sum of their parts so to speak.

McGlassbangers

Jul 13, 2009
McFinland
Oilers prospects on the nhl.com top-60 prospect ranks:

Kimelman:
16. Leon Draisaitl
22. Darnell Nurse

Morreale:
15. Leon Draisaitl
20. Darnell Nurse

Masisak:
8. Darnell Nurse