2013-2014 Prospect Stats and Discussion - Part 2 - Updated March 25th

Hynh

Jun 19, 2012
In the off chance Aulie does get picked off waivers, the team will have to run with 6 defensemen or have Klefbom/Nurse/Marincin sitting in the press box for the rest of the season.

You could put Ference in the pressbox.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
It looks like Zharkov is a healthy scratch now... he didn't play in his team's last game (unless he's injured)... but he's getting 3 minutes of ice time. I assume he could end up in a lesser league soon.

enthropi

Nov 2, 2007
Beijing, China
It looks like Zharkov is a healthy scratch now... he didn't play in his team's last game (unless he's injured)... but he's getting 3 minutes of ice time. I assume he could end up in a lesser league soon.

Didn't the Oilers give up their rights on him anyway? (by not signing him 2 years after the draft)

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1433549&page=2

Interesting looking back on this thread when he first signed in the KHL, and how many of us were thinking this was going to be good news for his development, "KHL > AHL" and all that.

Not so much.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Guess you might be right, thought all that mattered was the league he was drafted from, but I stand corrected.

I think it's because the Oilers can't sign him to a contract because he has to honor his KHL contract.

I can't remember the wording, but there's something in the CBA for "defecting" players, I believe.

OiledUp

Sep 17, 2011
Slepyshev had another assist today in only 8 mins of ice time, managed 3 sog as well despite his lack of toi. He plays well from what I gather, seems more "political" to sit him than him playing badly imo.

In other news, former(?) Oil prospect Erik Gustafsson has taken a huge leap in his development this season. Plays well in both ends and puts up the numbers.

YEGJuniorFan

Dec 3, 2009
Edmonton
Slepyshev had another assist today in only 8 mins of ice time, managed 3 sog as well despite his lack of toi. He plays well from what I gather, seems more "political" to sit him than him playing badly imo.

In other news, former(?) Oil prospect Erik Gustafsson has taken a huge leap in his development this season. Plays well in both ends and puts up the numbers.

I think the Oilers have another year to qualify him with an offer don't they?

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Well they also let Fedun go as well and he was looking decent by my eye.

I think the old Kevin Lowe comment about having a LOT of defensemen somewhat applies to their prospect pipeline...

Marincin
Nurse
Klefbom
Simpson
Musil
Davidson
Gernat
LaLeggia
Betker
Hunt
Craig
Ludwig
Oesterle
Lagesson

Obviously not all of those are going to make the NHL but I assume the Oilers have to draw the line somewhere and think about how many dmen they want in the system at once.

If you have a dozen+ dmen at various stages of development in the pipeline... that should be sufficient as long as the coaches developing them are doing a decent job... which remains to be seen.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Didn't show much. Went undrafted again, and still unsigned

He was the 14th best scoring defenseman in the SHL last season and he's playing 20+ minutes a night in the SHL as a 22 year old this season.

I don't see the harm in throwing him a contract and seeing if he continues to progress. It's not like he would be adding to the logjam of left-handed D in OKC if he was still playing overseas.

And he wasn't eligible to re-enter the draft since the Oilers drafted him as a 19 year old.

Last edited:

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
I guess I can read Russian. I got his goal on the first try. For everyone else it's the 3-0 goal. Beauty play, but I think an NHL goalie stops that shot.

Sorry, I thought my link took you straight to his goal. I thought it was quite a nice shot. Considering his role and lack of ice time it's great to see him having success.

josra33

Aug 11, 2008
Marco Roy with the Hatty today in Quebec! Two of them unassisted and all of them at even strength. Do you guys think he could become a decent 3rd liner in the NHL?

40oz

Jan 21, 2007
Marco Roy with the Hatty today in Quebec! Two of them unassisted and all of them at even strength. Do you guys think he could become a decent 3rd liner in the NHL?

Awesome, thanks for the update.

The hope is that he becomes a good top 9 player, he has the skill and the wheels but he's certainly still a project. I think he has the potential, but he needs to come back strong after his rough season last year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad