2013-14 Line Combos

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
I honestly have no idea what the lines are, as we have no center depth, and a plethora of wingers. However, I'll take a shot at it regardless. (Ice-time may vary)

Glencross - Stajan - Stempniak
Hudler - Backlund - Cammalleri
Baertschi - Monahan - Jones
McGratton - Bouma - Galiardi OR Galiardi - Knight - Bouma

Give Reinhart and Horak top line minutes in Abbottsford

Giordano - Brodie
Wideman - O'Brien
Butler - Cundari - Russell

I expect to see a ******** of line juggling this year.

Flamesarmstrong22

May 2, 2012
Toronto
This team won't be the team on opening night but for the fun of it I have:

Cammalerri,Backlund,Hudler
Baertchi,Stajan,Stempniak
Glencross,Knight,Jones
Galiardi,Horak/Bouma,Mcgratten

Giordano,Brodie
Butler,Wideman
Russel,O'brien
Cundari

Ramo
Macdonald
Berra/Ortio

Unkki

Dec 23, 2009
I dont believe that Monahan plays whole season in NHL. So our center depth sucks. So my guess for the starting lineup is:

Bärtschi - Backlund - Jones
Glencross - Cammalleri - Hudler
Galiardi - Stajan - Stempniak
Bouma - Knight - McGrattan

Giordano - Brodie
Butler - Wideman
Russell - O'Brien

Rämö
McDonald

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
If Cammalleri plays centre and Stajan/Backlund play full seasons up to their levels of last season then our centre depth is not as bad as its made out to be.

If you pro-rate their stats to a full season Cammalleri, Stajan & Backlund would have pretty decent numbers.

Mike Cammalleri: 24.23 Goals • 35.41 Assists • 59.64 Points • 51.0% in Faceoffs
Matt Stajan: 9.53 Goals • 34.33 Assists • 43.86 Points • 46.2%* in Faceoffs
Mikael Backlund: 20.50 Goals • 20.50 Assists • 41.00 Points • 47.7% in Faceoffs
* Stajan's 46.2% is abnormally low for him, prior to this season he had gone 51.74% as a Flame

Now if Corban Knight comes in and plays at a decent defensive level and puts up 53% in the dot (Toews had 53.2% as a rookie and Knight is said to be better at that age in that particular area)

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
If Cammalleri plays centre and Stajan/Backlund play full seasons up to their levels of last season then our centre depth is not as bad as its made out to be.

If you pro-rate their stats to a full season Cammalleri, Stajan & Backlund would have pretty decent numbers.

Mike Cammalleri: 24.23 Goals • 35.41 Assists • 59.64 Points • 51.0% in Faceoffs
Matt Stajan: 9.53 Goals • 34.33 Assists • 43.86 Points • 46.2%* in Faceoffs
Mikael Backlund: 20.50 Goals • 20.50 Assists • 41.00 Points • 47.7% in Faceoffs
* Stajan's 46.2% is abnormally low for him, prior to this season he had gone 51.74% as a Flame

Now if Corban Knight comes in and plays at a decent defensive level and puts up 53% in the dot (Toews had 53.2% as a rookie and Knight is said to be better at that age in that particular area)

I don't see how Cammy wouldn't be playing center as it stands now. No it's not ideal, but it'll work.

IMO, the only way he won't be is if Monahan makes the team and forces a trade. Then I think Stempniak is the most likely to go. From a forward standpoint I believe our current roster is just as good as our starting one was last year including having Iginla on it. What is is worse is our defence and in net.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I don't see how Cammy wouldn't be playing center as it stands now. No it's not ideal, but it'll work.

IMO, the only way he won't be is if Monahan makes the team and forces a trade. Then I think Stempniak is the most likely to go. From a forward standpoint I believe our current roster is just as good as our starting one was last year including having Iginla on it. What is is worse is our defence and in net.
Well the goaltending can't be worse than this year since there is no position lower than 30th :laugh:

Man Kipper was god awful this year, so quite frankly I really think the effect of his retirement is being overstated by many because it really can't get any worse. If Ramo can outplay MacDonald who played to his consistent (career backup) level last year, then we have a clear improvement over this year.

Nordberg

Sep 22, 2009
Landskrona
All signs point to us having fair goaltending this year. Mature top goaltenders from European leagues tend to do well in the NHL more often than not, and we have two of them coming in. We also have our solid veteran backup in MacDonald. I just don't see both Ramo and Berra failing to provide decent tending. Of course, if you just look at the numbers it may well end up looking like it since our defence is likely to be awful.

Stryker Island

Aug 12, 2012
FORWARDS
Mike Cammalleri / Mikael Backlund / David Jones
Jiri Hudler / Matt Stajan / Lee Stempniak
Curtis Glencross / Corban Knight / T.J. Galiardi
Brian McGrattan / Lance Bouma / Tim Jackman
DEFENSEMEN
Dennis Wideman / Mark Giordano
Shane O'Brien / Chris Butler
T.J. Brodie / Kris Russell
GOALTENDERS
Karri Ramo
Joey MacDonald

Not the lineup I'd go with, but definitely how I see it playing out.

Trae

Calgary
FORWARDS
Mike Cammalleri / Mikael Backlund / David Jones
Jiri Hudler / Matt Stajan / Lee Stempniak
Curtis Glencross / Corban Knight / T.J. Galiardi
Brian McGrattan / Lance Bouma / Tim Jackman
DEFENSEMEN
Dennis Wideman / Mark Giordano
Shane O'Brien / Chris Butler
T.J. Brodie / Kris Russell
GOALTENDERS
Karri Ramo
Joey MacDonald

Not the lineup I'd go with, but definitely how I see it playing out.
You don't think Baertschi makes the team?

Stryker Island

Aug 12, 2012
You don't think Baertschi makes the team?

Not that I don't think he should, I just don't see where he slots in. They have too many forwards, all of whom are on one-way contracts... if some deals aren't made, I don't know how they will deal with it.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Well the goaltending can't be worse than this year since there is no position lower than 30th :laugh:

Man Kipper was god awful this year, so quite frankly I really think the effect of his retirement is being overstated by many because it really can't get any worse. If Ramo can outplay MacDonald who played to his consistent (career backup) level last year, then we have a clear improvement over this year.

He was awful until he came back from injury and the Iginla saga finally ended. Over the last 3 seasons Kipper has been the main reason we haven't been a lottery team, and I would argue his hot stretch at the end of last season was the reason we weren't last year as well. Yes Ramo/Berra will probably be an upgrade over how Kipper started the season, but I'm not sure either will have Kippers ability to single handedly win games. I just hope one of these guys pan out.

Trae

Calgary
Glencross (A) - Cammalleri (A) - Hudler
Baertschi - Backlund - Jones
Galiardi - Stajan - Stempniak
Bouma - Knight - McGrattan
(x) Jackman

Giordano (C) - Butler
Brodie - Wideman
Russell - O'Brien
(x) Cundari

Ramo
MacDonald

After Trade Deadline

Glencross (A) - Stajan - Horak
Baertschi - Backlund (A) - D. Jones
Galiardi - Knight - Hanowski
Bouma - B. Jones - McGrattan
(x) Jackman

Giordano (C) - Butler
Brodie - Russell
Cundari - Breen
(x) O'Brien

Ramo
Berra

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
He was awful until he came back from injury and the Iginla saga finally ended. Over the last 3 seasons Kipper has been the main reason we haven't been a lottery team, and I would argue his hot stretch at the end of last season was the reason we weren't last year as well. Yes Ramo/Berra will probably be an upgrade over how Kipper started the season, but I'm not sure either will have Kippers ability to single handedly win games. I just hope one of these guys pan out.
2 games is not a hot stretch.

Kipper never had more than 2 consecutive games all season in which he posted a save percentage over .900, and only did it on back to back occasions 3 times. He only had 9 games all year with a save percentage over .900!! Joey MacDonald had 12 starts where he posted a .900 or better in 5 fewer starts!!

Then there is the other side of the coin. Kiprusoff on 2 occasions he had 3 consecutive games with a sub .900 save percentage and on 6 occasions he had 2+ games with a sub .900 save percentage.

I appreciate everything Kiprusoff has done for the Flames in his career, but there is no defense of those numbers. When you backup goaltender gives the team a better chance to win on a night to night basis than your starter then something is wrong.

Those aren't just bad numbers, those are you don't deserve to be playing in the NHL numbers.

Beats By CoRD

Tommy Fresh
Jul 12, 2009
In The Studio
www.myflashstore.net
This thread actually makes me feel ill. Some of these line-ups are absolutely disgusting. And that's not offend the ppl making them, it's to offend the way this team is assembled ATM. Any team that has Stempniak or Backlund on the top line is in big, big trouble. I shudder to see those guys against teams' top D pairings. Good lord. :laugh:

tyflames

Jul 4, 2010
This thread actually makes me feel ill. Some of these line-ups are absolutely disgusting. And that's not offend the ppl making them, it's to offend the way this team is assembled ATM. Any team that has Stempniak or Backlund on the top line is in big, big trouble. I shudder to see those guys against teams' top D pairings. Good lord. :laugh:
I think everyone on this boards has accepted we are going to be very bad next year. Just learning to accept it is the main issue. It's gonna be a couple bad years

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
2 games is not a hot stretch.

Kipper never had more than 2 consecutive games all season in which he posted a save percentage over .900, and only did it on back to back occasions 3 times. He only had 9 games all year with a save percentage over .900!! Joey MacDonald had 12 starts where he posted a .900 or better in 5 fewer starts!!

Then there is the other side of the coin. Kiprusoff on 2 occasions he had 3 consecutive games with a sub .900 save percentage and on 6 occasions he had 2+ games with a sub .900 save percentage.

I appreciate everything Kiprusoff has done for the Flames in his career, but there is no defense of those numbers. When you backup goaltender gives the team a better chance to win on a night to night basis than your starter then something is wrong.

Those aren't just bad numbers, those are you don't deserve to be playing in the NHL numbers.

No you definitely can't argue those numbers. But just one season prior, if the Flames had been a playoff team Kipper may of well been the recipient of the Vezina for completely carrying the team and almost getting us the 8th seed. I just don't think a goalie goes from elite to crap in one offseason. Kipper is a goalie that makes key saves at the right times. I think this past season was such a distraction and we definitely saw his performance suffer. Even still, I, and the Flames would still take him as the starter over Ramo or Berra any day. But you are totally right, last season was an ugly one for him and not the way that I'm sure he would of liked to end things.

FlamesFan18

Frank the Tank
Feb 26, 2010
Calgary
Would have been way better if we had acquired a top 4 D instead of bringing back Butler and O'Brein in.

Gio - Wideman
Brodie - Top 4 D
Russell - Breen
Cundari

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503

Early stages of a rebuild always look bad.

And for what it's worth, the current theoretical lineup isn't even the worst of it. If the Flames are sellers at the deadline, guys like Stajan, Cammalleri, Stempniak and maybe even Giordano could all be gone too.

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
I think everyone on this boards has accepted we are going to be very bad next year. Just learning to accept it is the main issue. It's gonna be a couple bad years

At least it looks like Feaster is being realistic. Not signing any bad contracts signals to me that management is finally committed to playing by the cap. Hopefully they now understand that teams cannot afford to have fat. The flames need to be spending their money wisely and develop their own talent properly in order to have success.

Would have been nice to grab Ference, but 4 years is too much for him. The other contracts handed out were brutal when you sit back and look at it.

If we could get Grabovski on a 3 year deal I would throw a bit of money at him. But I'm glad Feaster has done low key things so far, I also like the Russell pickup. I have a feeling fans will be quite happy to have him.

But yeah, next year is looking kind of tough unless we can add some size to the backend. Russell, Cundari, Butler, and to some extent Brodie (he makes up for his size with high IQ); none of these guys are going to provide above average help to clear the front of the net. Even Wideman, who has size isn't very aggressive. SOB will help that, but he's nothing more than a bottom pairing guy. We need to add some physicality to the top 4 bad.

I'd try to see if Grabovski would like to do a higher dollar/shorter term deal. Then look to trade Stempniak for a big/physical #4/5 dman.

With that you can ice this to start the year:

Cammy-Grabovski-Glencross
Baertschi-Backlund-Jones
Hudler-Stajan/Knight-Galiardi
Bouma-Stajan/Knight-McGratton/Jackman

Gio-Widman
Brodie-?4/5 upgrade?
SOB-Russell/Butler

Ramo
McDonald

I doubt we'd be any worse then last year, in fact our goaltending has a chance to actually improve since Kipper had an off year. The added size to our lineup should help alleviate some of the pressure in front of our net.

At least this team should put in a decent effort every night, that would be a welcomed change.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I just don't think a goalie goes from elite to crap in one offseason.
Actually I think it has happened quite often. I find goaltenders more often than not are like a rock falling from a cliff, rather than a feather falling from the same cliff. The drop off is dramatic and quick, not at all gradual. Some just stay atop the cliff for longer. This is one of the reasons you see more goalies like Jim Carey just fall off the map, Pascal Leclaire was a victim too, Steve Mason as well, maybe even Marc-Andre Fleury. All it takes is 1 injury, a loss of confidence or just a vase of "the yipps" and they fall faster than than Zanzibar (if you aren't a history buff Zanzibar lost a war in less than 45 to the British in the 1890s, and saw 500 soldier killed while only 1 British soldier was injured)

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Actually I think it has happened quite often. I find goaltenders more often than not are like a rock falling from a cliff, rather than a feather falling from the same cliff. The drop off is dramatic and quick, not at all gradual. Some just stay atop the cliff for longer. This is one of the reasons you see more goalies like Jim Carey just fall off the map, Pascal Leclaire was a victim too, Steve Mason as well, maybe even Marc-Andre Fleury. All it takes is 1 injury, a loss of confidence or just a vase of "the yipps" and they fall faster than than Zanzibar (if you aren't a history buff Zanzibar lost a war in less than 45 to the British in the 1890s, and saw 500 soldier killed while only 1 British soldier was injured)

It's possible. I still believe he can play at an elite level and that last season was circumstantial rather than permanent diminished skill. A run and gun system, an injury, the outside distractions from the media regarding Iginla and the rebuild, I feel those are the reasons for his play. But you may be right, Kipper gets rode like government mule here in Calgary and maybe he's just done. I just think that because he started later in his career, and given goalies can often play much longer than other positions, that he would of had the ability to play well for a few more seasons yet.

And no I had no idea what Zanzibar was, hopefully that isn't the theme here in Calgary next season.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
It's possible. I still believe he can play at an elite level and that last season was circumstantial rather than permanent diminished skill. A run and gun system, an injury, the outside distractions from the media regarding Iginla and the rebuild, I feel those are the reasons for his play. But you may be right, Kipper gets rode like government mule here in Calgary and maybe he's just done. I just think that because he started later in his career, and given goalies can often play much longer than other positions, that he would of had the ability to play well for a few more seasons yet.

And no I had no idea what Zanzibar was, hopefully that isn't the theme here in Calgary next season.
Unless we are the Brits :laugh:

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
I don't see any reason not to put Cammalleri as our top line center as it stands now. Not only is he our top offensive player, but actually our top faceoff man as well. His positioning is more than fine, but like most smaller centers will struggle at times against the likes of Kopitar, Thornton and Getzlaf. That will just have to come with the territory for the time being.

This move would also open up space on the roster for our over abundance of wingers.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
I don't see any reason not to put Cammalleri as our top line center as it stands now. Not only is he our top offensive player, but actually our top faceoff man as well. His positioning is more than fine, but like most smaller centers will struggle at times against the likes of Kopitar, Thornton and Getzlaf. That will just have to come with the territory for the time being.

This move would also open up space on the roster for our over abundance of wingers.

I'd be open to that, assuming he'll want to remain a Flame. That would ultimately reduce his trade value however like it did when Horcoff ate all the hard minutes for the Oilers

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad