2013-14 Line Combos

Nordberg

Sep 22, 2009
Landskrona
I'm going to go out on a limb here and throw in a crazy ideas.

Curtis Glencross - Sean Monahan - Mike Cammalleri
-The line should be defensively reliable, Monahan as a self professed playmaker will get a chance to play with a couple pretty good shooters. I know some will worry about Monahan playing on the top line right away, but Hartley has had success doing this in the past when he was with Colorado.

Sven Baertschi - Mikael Backlund - David Jones
- This line will have speed to burn, Jones should open up space for the Euros and Jones and Backlund are reliable enough defensively to let Sven take some offensive chances.

Jiri Hudler - Matt Stajan - Lee Stempniak
- Like the other 2 lines it has a couple two-way players and Stajan was a common denominator when both Stempniak and Hudler played really well. During important shutdown situations I would have Gelncross take a Hudler's place.

TJ Galiardi - Corban Knight - Tim Jackman/Brian McGrattan
- This should be an energy line that can produce a bit offensively. Galiardi and Knight will see their ice-time increase with PK time and having a top 9 winger double shifting with them occasionally.

Mark Giordano - Chris Butler
- Butler can log minutes and isn't a complete liability contrary to popular belief and Giordano is better defensively than Wideman or Brodie.

TJ Brodie - Dennis Wideman
- Played well together last season for the most part.

Kris Russell - Shane O'Brien
-Should be a solid bottom pairing, Russell moves the puck well and SOB will bring teh physical element.

Chris Breen/Mark Cundari
-One will be the #7.

Karri Ramo - Reto Berra - Joey MacDonald
- Three headed dragon. Ramo would play about 50% of the games with Berra and Mac splitting the rest.
There are some nice ideas here. That top D pairing is dismal but that's hardly any fault of yours. I'm really excited to see what kind of chemistry we can develop. Our roster will have huge wild cards and I doubt we will finish as poorly as some would have you believe.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
chuck_norris_approves.gif

Its a funny feeling when I look at this roster - on paper it's not too much worse than at the start of last season.

I also like the idea of putting Monahan in a position to succeed right off the bat. If he falters, send him back. But if he thrives, it's a win.

Agreed. It will be obvious within a few games if he is overwhelmed in that position.

MuffinMerc

Come watch TV
Jan 23, 2013
A million :facepalm:'s can't express my disgust for any line-up with Stajan or Stempniak on the top line. Ugh.. nauseating.

The Glencross - Stajan - Stempniak line was our top line last season, and they did very well all things considered.

MonahanTheMan

Pray for Flames
Jul 10, 2013
Bellingham, WA
Late to the party, but

Hudler - Cammalleri - Stempniak
Baertschi - Backlund - Jones
Glencross - Stajan - Hanowski(?)
Galiardi - Knight - McGrattan

Wideman - Brodie
Giordano - Russell
O'Brien - Cundari

Ramo/MacDonald

Pros:
  • Decent scoring depth in both forwards and defensemen (most score adequately, if not a lot)
  • Bone-crushing bottom defensive pair
  • Team is far younger and faster than last year

Cons:
  • Total lack of elite forwards (as of now)
  • No decent stay-at-home defensemen
  • Forward group is relatively soft
  • Right wing depth is poor
  • Goaltending is wholly unproven

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009

-The line should be defensively reliable, Monahan as a self professed playmaker will get a chance to play with a couple pretty good shooters. I know some will worry about Monahan playing on the top line right away, but Hartley has had success doing this in the past when he was with Colorado.

- This line will have speed to burn, Jones should open up space for the Euros and Jones and Backlund are reliable enough defensively to let Sven take some offensive chances.

- Like the other 2 lines it has a couple two-way players and Stajan was a common denominator when both Stempniak and Hudler played really well. During important shutdown situations I would have Gelncross take a Hudler's place.

- This should be an energy line that can produce a bit offensively. Galiardi and Knight will see their ice-time increase with PK time and having a top 9 winger double shifting with them occasionally.

- Butler can log minutes and isn't a complete liability contrary to popular belief and Giordano is better defensively than Wideman or Brodie.

-Should be a solid bottom pairing, Russell moves the puck well and SOB will bring teh physical element.

Chris Breen/Mark Cundari
-One will be the #7.

- Three headed dragon. Ramo would play about 50% of the games with Berra and Mac splitting the rest.

I really like these lines.
I would give that top line the nine game cushion that Monahan has and then re-evaluate from there.

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
Hey guys, I've got Horak in a keeper league and I'm not seeing him in many of these lineups, which disappointed me a bit at first...but actually, now that I think of it, I have to say it pleases me. I think he needs to be a quality offensive player in the AHL before coming up for good and it seems like he'll likely be AHL bound (so he will get the chance to produce offence down there), agree or disagree with my assessment?

Aug 3, 2010
Hey guys, I've got Horak in a keeper league and I'm not seeing him in many of these lineups, which disappointed me a bit at first...but actually, now that I think of it, I have to say it pleases me. I think he needs to be a quality offensive player in the AHL before coming up for good and it seems like he'll likely be AHL bound (so he will get the chance to produce offence down there), agree or disagree with my assessment?
He's speedy and has got hands but his offensive instinct doesn't quite match up. However, he's not a bad player but IMO his skillset is the type that dictates "top 6 or bust" as he will not suit a third or fourth line style on most teams.

He'd really need a breakout season in order to be called up and used effectively, IMO. I like Horak but on a deeper team, he'd never see NHL ice.

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
He's speedy and has got hands but his offensive instinct doesn't quite match up. However, he's not a bad player but IMO his skillset is the type that dictates "top 6 or bust" as he will not suit a third or fourth line style on most teams.

He'd really need a breakout season in order to be called up and used effectively, IMO. I like Horak but on a deeper team, he'd never see NHL ice.

That's about how I view him. Unless he shows big improvement at some point I feel he will be an AHL guy.

Aug 3, 2010
Stajan has played great I don't get the hate.
He's not top-line material on a good team but he's done well enough as of late. Earlier, he was definitely the whipping boy and also didn't play very well. But some people can only see the past, not the present.

Aside from on-ice play, I believe Stempniak and Stajan are making strides into becoming leaders off the ice especially with youth development. It's been stated a few times in interviews especially for Stempniak and how he has been trying to help acclimate the rookies into the NHL.

To say that he or Stempniak should be off the team, though, those are two gross overstatements - there are definitely players I'd like to see traded/waived before either of them by a huge margin. The first one would be Tim Jackman.

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
He's not top-line material on a good team but he's done well enough as of late. Earlier, he was definitely the whipping boy and also didn't play very well. But some people can only see the past, not the present.

Aside from on-ice play, I believe Stempniak and Stajan are making strides into becoming leaders off the ice especially with youth development. It's been stated a few times in interviews especially for Stempniak and how he has been trying to help acclimate the rookies into the NHL.

To say that he or Stempniak should be off the team, though, those are two gross overstatements - there are definitely players I'd like to see traded/waived before either of them by a huge margin. The first one would be Tim Jackman.

I think both of them should be kept around. They play the game the right way, and with a high compete level. Perfect guys for the kids to learn from.

Only vet I want gone now is cammy. Because he likely wants out and he could be a great return at the deadline.

BVicious

Jun 15, 2012
Like I said, among others:
GlenX-Stajan-Stempniak was our best line.

They outplayed and put performed any line Iggy, Tangs, Cammy, Backlund, Hudler, etc was on.

You already have familiarity on that line, and it allows Monohan/Backlund to see easier competition rather than throw them against the leagues best defenders.

Having Monohan on your top line puts him up against the Webers, Doughty's and kieths, etc. hardly a fair match up for a kid with zero NHL minutes.

A Hudler/Monohan/jones 3rd line gives you size with jones who is defensively responsible, and can work along the boards with Monohan. Hudler has always been loved by teammates, and would be great to have on his wing.

Sven/Backs/Cammy gives us a solid transition line, with speed, and can produce well if paired with Brodie and Wideman.

I dunno why people are against Stempniak/Stajan. They both love playing with each other, and are both solid at both ends. Matched with GlenX, it will be our most consistent line, as it was last year.

QcFlames12

Feb 1, 2012
Mike cammalerri-Peter mueller-Lee Stempniak
Sven Bartschi-Mikeal Backlund- Gilbert Brule
Curtis Glencross-Matt Stajan-David Jones
Lance Bouma- Corban Knight-T.J Galliardi

Mark Giordano-Dennis Wideman
T.J Brodie- Ron Hainsey
Kris Russel-Shane O'Brien

Kari Ramo
Joey MacDonald

Sorry for the errors in spelling on my phone haha btw only 3 free agents.

Guido Sarducci

Aug 7, 2012
canyon meadows
Stajan has played great I don't get the hate.

I was very happy with Stajan last year. What I hate is that he was the best centerman on the Flames.

Glencross..................Stajan......................Stempniak

Best line on the Flames last year. They would make things happen just about every shift.

After that I have no idea. Too many LW, not enough centermen. Nothing really seems to fit. Nice work Feaster.

I think we will see Jones and Galiardi on a line together because they have had good chemistry in the past.

I like Abbotsford Heats lines but the whole thing seems to hinge on Monahan making the team and I do not want to rush him. Also If Corban Knight is is on the team he better prove it in training camp.

Last edited:

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Which would explain why we picked 6th overall. If those 3rd liners are our top line again next season, we'll be picking 6th overall (or higher) again.
And you expect different this year? Newsflash rebuilding teams are going to suck.

Guys like Stajan and Stempniak aren't valuable in a rebuild because of their on ice ability. They are valuable because of their attitude, work ethic and their ability to mentor the youth.

Beats By CoRD

Tommy Fresh
Jul 12, 2009
In The Studio
www.myflashstore.net

Chris Breen/Mark Cundari
-One will be the #7.

The best line-up posted so far. The forwards are perfect IMO. It's a gamble, but a gamble worth taking.

The D may need a little tweaking. I'm not sold as Butler on the top 2 but then again who else slots there? Our D is so weak now it's painful.

herashak

Mar 24, 2013
yeah i see this team running with 3 lines that are fairly even and get similiar ES time. and a solid looking 4th line

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
The best line-up posted so far. The forwards are perfect IMO. It's a gamble, but a gamble worth taking.

The D may need a little tweaking. I'm not sold as Butler on the top 2 but then again who else slots there? Our D is so weak now it's painful.
I would much prefer Butler on the 3rd pairing with SOB or Breen to be quite honest. I am also not against the idea of swapping Brodie and Butler and the season progresses if Brodie is playing well defensively. But right now Butler is the best option for the pairing that faces top lines since he can log big minutes, skate well, isn't a complete train wreck defensively and it's not going to stunt his development.

Aug 3, 2010
Ewwwwww I don't want to this about this lineup until the fall when I have to.
Nobody forced you to come in here... it's a discussion board but feel free to not participate until you feel you are 'forced' to. :shakehead

I'm kind of hoping Calgary picks up Franson or something.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad