2013-14 Line Combos

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I'd be open to that, assuming he'll want to remain a Flame. That would ultimately reduce his trade value however like it did when Horcoff ate all the hard minutes for the Oilers

If we do not sign or trade for a top 6 center, I think it all but guarantees that is the plan for him. And I think it has the potential to increase his value. Cammy has shown through his career that he can be lethal sniper from the wing, if he shows he can also be effective as a center on a rebuilding team and be a good FO guy, thats shows his versatility and we may still be able to cash in on him at the deadline when his contract is of little significance.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Not that I don't think he should, I just don't see where he slots in. They have too many forwards, all of whom are on one-way contracts... if some deals aren't made, I don't know how they will deal with it.

It's actually quite simple. Start with the lines you posted, scratch Jackman, move Galiardi to the fourth line where he has played in the past and been effective, put Baertschi in the top 9. There is no way that Baertschi starts the season in the press box unless he's injured.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
If we do not sign or trade for a top 6 center, I think it all but guarantees that is the plan for him. And I think it has the potential to increase his value. Cammy has shown through his career that he can be lethal sniper from the wing, if he shows he can also be effective as a center on a rebuilding team and be a good FO guy, thats shows his versatility and we may still be able to cash in on him at the deadline when his contract is of little significance.

Yeah that's a good point. In that case, maybe:

Hudler - Cammy - Stempniak
Glencross - Backlund - Jones
Baertschi - Stajan - Galliardi
Bouma - Knight - McGratton

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
NHL Roster

Curtis Glencross - Mike Cammalleri - Jiri Hudler
Sven Baertschi - Mikael Backlund - David Jones
TJ Galiardi - Matt Stajan - Lee Stempniak
Lance Bouma - Corban Knight - Tim Jackman

Extra : Brian McGrattan

TJ Brodie - Dennis Wideman
Mark Giordano - Chris Butler
Kris Russell - Shane O'Brien

Extra : Chris Breen

Karri Ramo
Reto Berra
Joey Mac

AHL Roster

Markus Granlund - Ben Street - Roman Horak
Paul Byron - Max Reinhart - Greg Nemisz
Michael Ferland - Blair Jones - Ben Hanowski
Carter Bancks - David Eddy - Turner Elson

Mark Cundari - Derek Smith
Chad Billins - Tyler Wotherspoon
James Martin - John Ramage

Joni Ortio
Laurent Brossoit

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Not that I don't think he should, I just don't see where he slots in. They have too many forwards, all of whom are on one-way contracts... if some deals aren't made, I don't know how they will deal with it.

Buddy, the Flames organization values Sven Baertschi more so than any other player they have. He is now their golden boy. As of now, I think their plans are to build the team around him, Monahan and Brodie. They will make whatever moves necessary to accommodate them, and Sven is NHL ready so he will be on the team next season no matter what. Weisbrod even commented on how it was a positive thing to move Tangs so Sven can get more minutes.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
A few comments
NHL Roster

Curtis Glencross - Mike Cammalleri - Jiri Hudler
TJ Galiardi - Matt Stajan - Lee Stempniak
Lance Bouma - Corban Knight - Tim Jackman

Extra : Brian McGrattan
I really like the idea of keeping certain guys together. One such combo is Hudler/Stajan, neither are "fast" and they played really well together last season, part of that IMO is because they play the game at the same speed. Baertschi/Backlund is another pairing I would like to see together as when they were together they did seem to click.

I am also not against the idea of Cammalleri at centre again this year because he did play admirable in that role last year. However I do like the idea of giving Knight (and maybe even Monahan) a chance on the 3rd line to see how they perform because after all that is going to be apart of developing them properly during the rebuild. I also like the idea of the kids being paired with defensively responsible veterans if they are playing in the top 9, so I would really like to see Glencross & Stempniak flanking them.

Extra : Chris Breen
I agree with this except I would flip-flop the top 2 pairings. Giordano has proven to be more effective in a shut down role that Wideman. I am also not sure Breen beats Cundari, but it will be a battle between them.

Karri Ramo
Reto Berra
Joey Mac
Agreed. I think we see all 3 getting a chance early on.

AHL Roster

Markus Granlund - Ben Street - Roman Horak
Paul Byron - Max Reinhart - Greg Nemisz
Michael Ferland - Blair Jones - Ben Hanowski
Carter Bancks - David Eddy - Turner Elson
Younger AHL rookies rarely get first line minutes unless they are elite talents, and Granlund is not that. I am also not sure I would move him out of being a centerman just yet either. I think Hanowski due to his age, hands and hockey IQ will slip into a top 6 role. You also left out Ryan Howse who will earn a top 9 role before Ferland IMO. I am also not sold on Jones being with the Flames franchise come camp.

Mark Cundari - Derek Smith
Chad Billins - Tyler Wotherspoon
James Martin - John Ramage
If Cundari & Smith are both sent down it will be huge for the Heat as the blueline is the biggest question mark, but I would expect Ramage to play a bigger role because of his age and experience. I can actually see him on the top pairing with either Cundari or Billins. Also Drew MacKenzie has an AHL contract for this coming season, and he is much better than Martin who at this point in time is just playing out the final year of his contract IMO.

Joni Ortio
Laurent Brossoit
Agreed again.

BrodieGoat

May 24, 2012
Glencross Cammalleri Stempniak
Baertschi Backlund Jones
Hudler Stajan Galiardi
Bouma Knight Jackman
MacG

With Monahan

Hudler Stajan Glencross
Baertschi Backlund Jones
Cammy Monahan Stempniak
Galiardi Knight Bouma
Jackman MacG

Gio Brodie
Wideman Butler
OB Russel
Cundari

Ramo
MacD
Berra

AHL:

Byron Street Horak
Hanowski Reinhart Nemisz
Granlund Jones Bancks
Ferland Eddy Elson

Ramage Billins
Breen Smith
Wootherspoon AHL Contract

without Street(rumors he left) and Jones

Hanowski Reinhart Horak
Granlund Byron Nemisz (byron and Nemisz can switch)
AHL AHL Bancks
Ferland Eddy Elson

Same D

Ortio
LB

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
A few comments
I really like the idea of keeping certain guys together. One such combo is Hudler/Stajan, neither are "fast" and they played really well together last season, part of that IMO is because they play the game at the same speed. Baertschi/Backlund is another pairing I would like to see together as when they were together they did seem to click.

I just tried to balance the lines as much as possible. The reason for Hudler being on the top line was to give Cammalleri a legitimate playmaking option and to add some much needed creativity in the offensive zone. Glenross simply compliments any line he is thrown on and his defensive awareness and grit would be a good fit for the two undersized skill players.

I also agree on Baertschi and Backlund being kept together. They complement each other very nicely, and I think that the big body and good skating ability of David Jones would help them transition the puck up the ice at a more consistent rate then it would with a player of Hudler's playstyle for example.

I am also not against the idea of Cammalleri at centre again this year because he did play admirable in that role last year. However I do like the idea of giving Knight (and maybe even Monahan) a chance on the 3rd line to see how they perform because after all that is going to be apart of developing them properly during the rebuild. I also like the idea of the kids being paired with defensively responsible veterans if they are playing in the top 9, so I would really like to see Glencross & Stempniak flanking them.

I completely agree, and I think that time will definitely come over the course of the season. Injuries and potential trades are bound to happen, and spots will definitely open up that will give these kids larger opportunities as the season wears on. If Monahan comes into camp and earns a top nine spot then I have no problem giving him the ball and letting him run with it either.

I agree with this except I would flip-flop the top 2 pairings. Giordano has proven to be more effective in a shut down role that Wideman. I am also not sure Breen beats Cundari, but it will be a battle between them.

Yeah, I don't really like numbering our defensive units as we really don't have a "top pairing" so to speak. Both pairings will get heavy minutes in all situations regardless.

Younger AHL rookies rarely get first line minutes unless they are elite talents, and Granlund is not that. I am also not sure I would move him out of being a centerman just yet either. I think Hanowski due to his age, hands and hockey IQ will slip into a top 6 role. You also left out Ryan Howse who will earn a top 9 role before Ferland IMO. I am also not sold on Jones being with the Flames franchise come camp

I was going for a more balanced approach with what we have to work with on the farm. I think Granlund can slot in and compliment a player like Street due to the fact that he has played in professional hockey for two seasons now. As far as him playing on the left side, the reason for me doing so is that I don't personally project him as a center at the NHL level, and think he would really struggle with the defensive responsibilities in Troy Ward's system.

As far as Ryan Howse vs Michael Ferland? Well I guess that comes down to which player committed themselves more to becoming a full time professional player over the summer time. I think Ferland's size and physicality will win him the spot, but I suppose both could make the team.

If Cundari & Smith are both sent down it will be huge for the Heat as the blueline is the biggest question mark, but I would expect Ramage to play a bigger role because of his age and experience. I can actually see him on the top pairing with either Cundari or Billins. Also Drew MacKenzie has an AHL contract for this coming season, and he is much better than Martin who at this point in time is just playing out the final year of his contract IMO.

Ramage can definitely slot in anywhere in the lineup and the fact that he is a RHD definitely helps as well. I forgot Mackenzie had an AHL contract and would agree that he slots ahead of Martin at this point. I would also like to see Brady Lamb get an AHL deal for another year to help round out that defensive unit.

Neil Hamburger

Five Bagger!
Jun 15, 2010
Toronto
If I were the Flames, I would give Monahan 9 games to earn a shot as a top-6 center, and if he doesn't earn it send him back for one last year of junior.

I'd also be tanking hard to land one of Ekblad or Reinhart, preferably Ekblad as you loaded up on forward prospects last draft.

Nordberg

Sep 22, 2009
Landskrona
I think he could be a good nhl player in the right role on the right team. However I understand if he'd rather play in the KHL where he can earn five times as much and be a star scorer.

BVicious

Jun 15, 2012
Was looking through this thread after thinking about Grabovski signing here. (Enter 'ski pun)

We need to ship out a few bodies I'm thinking:

GlenX - Stagan - Stempniak
Sven - Backlund - Cammy
Hudler - Monohan - jones
Galiardi - Knight - McGratten

Horak, Bouma, Hanowski, jones, Jackman

If we sign Grabovski then someone has to go.

Gio - Wideman
Brodie - SOB
butler - Russel

Tspoon, Cundari, smith.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Was looking through this thread after thinking about Grabovski signing here. (Enter 'ski pun)

We need to ship out a few bodies I'm thinking:

GlenX - Stagan - Stempniak
Sven - Backlund - Cammy
Hudler - Monohan - jones
Galiardi - Knight - McGratten

Horak, Bouma, Hanowski, jones, Jackman

If we sign Grabovski then someone has to go.

Gio - Wideman
Brodie - SOB
butler - Russel

Tspoon, Cundari, smith.

Switch Backlund and Stajan, return Monahan to Juniors and let Grabovski or Stajan take the 3rd line spot. No sense in not seeing what Backlund can do as the top line centre - he at least has room to grow; Stajan is known commodity.

McGratton isn't an everyday player, so replace him with Bouma. Trade Jackman and waive B.Jones. Horak and Hanowski should start in the minors, but the former should be the first call up when an injury occurs.

O'Brien in a top-four position is a disaster in the making. Switch him and Butler around. Wotherspoon will start in the AHL; if he impresses, he can be one of the first injury call-ups along with Cundari and Breen. It's better for these guys to play more minutes in the AHL, then #6 or #7 minutes in the NHL.

After the trade deadline, assuming Grabovski has been signed and looks comfortable, trade Stempniak, Cammalleri, Stajan, and Butler. Prospects from the Heat can then take their spots. If Breen, Ramage or Sieloff shows some physical qualities, trade O'Brien too, if possible.

The following season, again assuming Grabovski was signed to a multi-year deal and neither him, nor Backlund nor Knight are traded, if Monahan forces his way onto the roster, Grabovski can switch to wing since he's not particularly good on faceoffs. Ditto for Reinhart.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I'm going to go out on a limb here and throw in a crazy ideas.

Curtis Glencross - Sean Monahan - Mike Cammalleri
-The line should be defensively reliable, Monahan as a self professed playmaker will get a chance to play with a couple pretty good shooters. I know some will worry about Monahan playing on the top line right away, but Hartley has had success doing this in the past when he was with Colorado.

- This line will have speed to burn, Jones should open up space for the Euros and Jones and Backlund are reliable enough defensively to let Sven take some offensive chances.

Jiri Hudler - Matt Stajan - Lee Stempniak
- Like the other 2 lines it has a couple two-way players and Stajan was a common denominator when both Stempniak and Hudler played really well. During important shutdown situations I would have Gelncross take a Hudler's place.

TJ Galiardi - Corban Knight - Tim Jackman/Brian McGrattan
- This should be an energy line that can produce a bit offensively. Galiardi and Knight will see their ice-time increase with PK time and having a top 9 winger double shifting with them occasionally.

- Butler can log minutes and isn't a complete liability contrary to popular belief and Giordano is better defensively than Wideman or Brodie.

- Played well together last season for the most part.

-Should be a solid bottom pairing, Russell moves the puck well and SOB will bring teh physical element.

Chris Breen/Mark Cundari
-One will be the #7.

Karri Ramo - Reto Berra - Joey MacDonald
- Three headed dragon. Ramo would play about 50% of the games with Berra and Mac splitting the rest.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada

Chris Breen/Mark Cundari

I could go for that.

Janks

Pope Janks
Jan 7, 2010
Calgary
I'm going to go out on a limb here and throw in a crazy ideas.

-The line should be defensively reliable, Monahan as a self professed playmaker will get a chance to play with a couple pretty good shooters. I know some will worry about Monahan playing on the top line right away, but Hartley has had success doing this in the past when he was with Colorado.

- This line will have speed to burn, Jones should open up space for the Euros and Jones and Backlund are reliable enough defensively to let Sven take some offensive chances.

- Like the other 2 lines it has a couple two-way players and Stajan was a common denominator when both Stempniak and Hudler played really well. During important shutdown situations I would have Gelncross take a Hudler's place.

- This should be an energy line that can produce a bit offensively. Galiardi and Knight will see their ice-time increase with PK time and having a top 9 winger double shifting with them occasionally.

- Butler can log minutes and isn't a complete liability contrary to popular belief and Giordano is better defensively than Wideman or Brodie.

-Should be a solid bottom pairing, Russell moves the puck well and SOB will bring teh physical element.

Chris Breen/Mark Cundari
-One will be the #7.

- Three headed dragon. Ramo would play about 50% of the games with Berra and Mac splitting the rest.

I like this. I'd run it and see how it does.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.

Chris Breen/Mark Cundari

chuck_norris_approves.gif

Its a funny feeling when I look at this roster - on paper it's not too much worse than at the start of last season.

I also like the idea of putting Monahan in a position to succeed right off the bat. If he falters, send him back. But if he thrives, it's a win.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad