Post-Game Talk: #18| FLYERS 0 at Wild 3 | Tue. Nov. 14, 8:00 pm ET

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
We are record setting negative milestones as a franchise. Looks like regression to me...

On pace to be shut out 23 times this season at current pace...

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
You just know Hakstol is jealous of Boudreau and the Wild. He wishes he could coach that team. It's about as close to perfect as hockey gets for Dave.
But then he would have Kunin, Zucker and Dumba in pressbox learning honest responsible two way game.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
The Weal at center experiment has to die in a fire. Seemed like his line was hemmed in the zone all night. Keep him on the wing where he's more effective.

Hak just said the Weise, Weal, Simmonds line was good today. No joke.

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
Especially frustrating about this: my girlfriend gets a lot of free Devils tickets through her work and she's been a kinda-fan of theirs for a while (more a baseball girl). So what the hell, I go to a buncha Devils games for free this year and I pay $160 total for Center Ice to watch the Flyers.

And at these Devils games I get to watch a buncha third liners, rejects, and randos play good hockey. Drew f***ing Stafford is scoring goals. Some guy named Gibbons makes good plays. My girlfriend's
favorite player on the team is Kyle f***ing Palmieri, the paragon of NHL mediocrity. Sure they have Hall and Hischier (Bratt is better) but otherwise it's a scrap heap team, look at their defense.

But they are well coached and they play with tenacity. Much like the Golden Knights, honestly. Are these teams going to be serious contenders? No, but they play. And they score goals. And they are entertaining.

This team is insulting right now.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Especially frustrating about this: my girlfriend gets a lot of free Devils tickets through her work and she's been a kinda-fan of theirs for a while (more a baseball girl). So what the hell, I go to a buncha Devils games for free this year and I pay $160 total for Center Ice to watch the Flyers.

And at these Devils games I get to watch a buncha third liners, rejects, and randos play good hockey. Drew ****ing Stafford is scoring goals. Some guy named Gibbons makes good plays. My girlfriend's
favorite player on the team is Kyle ****ing Palmieri, the paragon of NHL mediocrity. Sure they have Hall and Hischier (Bratt is better) but otherwise it's a scrap heap team, look at their defense.

But they are well coached and they play with tenacity. Much like the Golden Knights, honestly. Are these teams going to be serious contenders? No, but they play. And they score goals. And they are entertaining.

This team is insulting right now.
This is spot on....Devils and Vegas are no gold standard but with the Flyers we get fools gold

phil162888

Jul 28, 2012
Think people are overreacting a bit on Hex. This is really on Hakstol. The roster is not awful and the cupboard is in good shape. The goaltending isn't good but it isn't the problem in these last two games, obviously. Hextall has done a good job for the most part. Everywhere but behind the bench.
Just finished watching the game.. they actually played a very good road game. This team is built for the road as they play a tight counter game. Problem is when there at home they look completely garbage like last game as this type of game is played with very little excitement and energy (all Hakstols' fault). Goaltending has actually been solid, the problem is we have a first line one great 4th line and 2 other lines that are borderline 3rd/4th lines. Weal, Simmonds, Konecny and Flip can play on your top 9 (Weise and Lehtera can not period). Manning was probably the worst player tonight (he's a great #7 dman that can fill in to your lineup when there's injuries or if you otherwise have a great top 5 he can play in your top 6). Morin should be playing flat out if Hextall can't see that they need more players that can bring energy to a game then he needs to be fired just as much as Hakstol. I rather lose with a young player that can gain experience and that can actually impact this team positively then watch this team struggle to score and play energetic hockey. Anyway Hexy has Sutter and Knoblach available so coaching can get fixed but the stupid moves in trading for Flip and Lehtera have to stop. He's hurt this team dramatically short term and its highly questionable if he's actually helped at all long term with these two cap guzzlers!!!!!!!!

Reactions: Crescent Street

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Tell me, did Ghost do anything in this game other than turn it over and get saved by Elliott on a 2 on 0?
1 shot, 3 blocked, 1 miss, about what he did in the last game. Zero shots on goal Saturday night.
At least Manning actually got 4 shots on goal.

8 hits total, 2 by Gudas, 2 by Hagg, 2 by Simmonds, 1 by Manning, 1 by Weise.
But size doesn't matter, even when forwards don't check, and no one heads to the net and screens the goalie.
Yep, those undersized forwards really intimidate players.

Konecny had better stop passing the puck, he's a mediocre playmaker, but a good shooter, so which should he be doing?
Lehtera played 8 minutes ES, Filppula 10, Raffl 11:20, Leier 12, Hakstol knows who can play, but what options does he have right now?

Leier just lacks the offensive chops to be more than a 4th line checker and PK guy, he was pulled for Konency.

Thought Hagg had a solid game. Sanheim looked fine, even used his body at times. But he's raw offensively, doesn't really see the play.
Weal looked fine at center, but he needs the right wings, he can get it into the O-zone but needs someone to give it to.

We ran into a hot goalie, with a team that plays a very conservative game, you score against a team like this by getting big bodies in the paint and firing away until you get a lucky bounce - the Wild aren't going to let you pass into the area in front of the net. You can overpower them, but we're a small, soft team. And people think Martel is going to make a difference?

When you look at the forwards Hextall has drafted, he can see the obvious, they have big boys coming, they're just a little ways away.
Lindblom, Vorobyev, even NAK and MV are 5'10 200+.
Allison, Bunnaman, etc.
Some undersized young players and soft veterans will be history soon.

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
Positives
  • This can only go on for so long.
  • Eagles.
  • Sixers are fun, they are mediocre, but fun.
Negatives
  • Too many to list

orangecrush8

May 21, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
Tell me, did Ghost do anything in this game other than turn it over and get saved by Elliott on a 2 on 0?
1 shot, 3 blocked, 1 miss, about what he did in the last game. Zero shots on goal Saturday night.
At least Manning actually got 4 shots on goal.

8 hits total, 2 by Gudas, 2 by Hagg, 2 by Simmonds, 1 by Manning, 1 by Weise.
But size doesn't matter, even when forwards don't check, and no one heads to the net and screens the goalie.
Yep, those undersized forwards really intimidate players.

Konecny had better stop passing the puck, he's a mediocre playmaker, but a good shooter, so which should he be doing?
Lehtera played 8 minutes ES, Filppula 10, Raffl 11:20, Leier 12, Hakstol knows who can play, but what options does he have right now?

Leier just lacks the offensive chops to be more than a 4th line checker and PK guy, he was pulled for Konency.

Thought Hagg had a solid game. Sanheim looked fine, even used his body at times. But he's raw offensively, doesn't really see the play.
Weal looked fine at center, but he needs the right wings, he can get it into the O-zone but needs someone to give it to.

We ran into a hot goalie, with a team that plays a very conservative game, you score against a team like this by getting big bodies in the paint and firing away until you get a lucky bounce - the Wild aren't going to let you pass into the area in front of the net. You can overpower them, but we're a small, soft team. And people think Martel is going to make a difference?

When you look at the forwards Hextall has drafted, he can see the obvious, they have big boys coming, they're just a little ways away.
Lindblom, Vorobyev, even NAK and MV are 5'10 200+.
Allison, Bunnaman, etc.
Some undersized young players and soft veterans will be history soon.

Yeah Manning’s 4 shots on goal from the blue line with zero screen were huge.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Knob is the one putting Lehtera on the PP....

I don't even know if it's just or mainly him. He's a rookie NHL coach learning the league, coming onto a team with a bunch of vets the coach and GM are on record as praising to infinity. I'll eat a shoe if this isn't a decision where coach and GM aren't heavily involved. I doubt he's just left to his own devices assembling the PP personnel. I'd bet every decision is vetted or made by committee.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Maybe Hextall is right and every other GM is wrong. All teams now get kids in early and lean on them early. Look across the league and see all these kids we have never even heard of and look at the roles they are playing.

Christ our D prospect that was the best in preseason didn't even make the damn team 5 years after his draft

No they don't. Just pull up any draft and see who plays early, mostly top 10 players, some top 20, a smattering from 21-40 and a handful drafted after that point.
And some guys who played early like Drouin ended up being sent down to the AHL for a while.
We have Provorov, Konency and Patrick who played early. Just like the rest of the league.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Lol. Morganti just laughed off a tweet saying it's important to get 4 deeper lines, call up Lindblom, etc. Said the only way out of this is through the top line.

Just finish the decomposition process already, Al.

Al thinks it’s 1997 where you can ride one line to a Stanley Cup appearance still. :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad