Prospect Info: #13 Nico Hischier: "I love to hockey" Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darkauron

Jul 14, 2011
South Jersey
I am a tad concerned as well about Nico looking gassed after some shifts but I think that's just how some players look when after they get off the ice. Look at Kessel, the guy always looks like he's going to pretty much going to pass out after a shift but he's in great shape. Besides, I haven't notice it affect him during shifts all that much, sans really long shifts where no doubt he'd be gassed. He still can turn on the burners in the 3rd just as he does in the 1st.

It is something to keep an eye on for sure but I'm not overly worried.

It has been my biggest gripe with him so far. He really needs to work on it during the off-season I feel. I am curious to its long term affects throughout the long nhl season on him..

Darkauron

Jul 14, 2011
South Jersey
He was on the ice for like 2:30 in a 3 on 3 with a majority of it against the best player in the world

I think you guys are being too hard on him

Yeah he was out there for a long time, but even just other regular shifts or slightly extended shifts he is keeled over and ragged with his breaths. It is not good.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
I thought he had a great game last night. And endurance more than pretty much anything is something that can be worked on. That shouldn’t concern anyone beyond this year where it may remain an issue. He’s gonna be fine.

GeNeXt

Jul 5, 2012
The three on three prospect tournament this summer it was extremely noticeable. They would play like 30 seconds at a time, and it's only in a confined area, so not much physical exertion was necessary to participate. Nico was on hands and knees after nearly every turn.

Darkauron

Jul 14, 2011
South Jersey
The three on three prospect tournament this summer it was extremely noticeable. They would play like 30 seconds at a time, and it's only in a confined area, so not much physical exertion was necessary to participate. Nico was on hands and knees after nearly every turn.

Oh yeah that too. Which has continued well into the season, which is strange.

HischierSeDgewOrk

May 6, 2007
Monmouth County, NJ
anyone here with a medical degree or medical knowledge? Could this be related to why his heart rate didn't go down quickly after strenuous exercise like most players did? Could this be more than a fitness issue?
I really hope it's just not being in proper shape and corrects it this offseason.

Edmonton East

BUT the ADvaNCEd STatS...
Nov 25, 2007
I am a tad concerned as well about Nico looking gassed after some shifts but I think that's just how some players look when after they get off the ice. Look at Kessel, the guy always looks like he's going to pretty much going to pass out after a shift but he's in great shape. Besides, I haven't notice it affect him during shifts all that much, sans really long shifts where no doubt he'd be gassed. He still can turn on the burners in the 3rd just as he does in the 1st.

It is something to keep an eye on for sure but I'm not overly worried.
Before the season started, a poster leaked the scouting combine results for Nico and Nolan on our board. I commented that everything looked relatively normal, EXCEPT Nico's VO2 heart rate results 30 or 60 seconds after stoppage made no sense. The results were so absurd that I stated it had to be a recording error, since his type of reading is generally only seen in very out of shape individuals (obese) or if someone has a heart condition.

Now, no, I'm not ludicrously asserting Nico has a heart condition based on what I still think was mostly a recording error. But he does tend to look more gassed and take a longer time to recover than he should, especially at his age. Definitely something he needs to work on.

Darkauron

Jul 14, 2011
South Jersey
anyone here with a medical degree or medical knowledge? Could this be related to why his heart rate didn't go down quickly after strenuous exercise like most players did? Could this be more than a fitness issue?
I really hope it's just not being in proper shape and corrects it this offseason.

I've been trying to find the documents and the results that listed that. I do remember that his heart rate took much muuuch longer to go down compared to everyone else along with peaking much higher too.

Edmonton East

Nov 25, 2007
Ha, nice timing. I was the one that originally pointed that out at the time. Like I just posted, while it's certainly concerning, I find it near impossible a professional sports organization would overlook something like that. So I'm not going to worry about it.

Edmonton East

Nov 25, 2007
i have here some juicy medical test infos from Nico and Nolan

Nicos test

nolans test

source is a well informed swiss hockey journalist named Klaus Zaugg

the whole article is in german but maybe google translate helps.

http://www.watson.ch/Sport/Eismeister Zaugg/627578635-Geheime-Dokumente-zeigen--Darum-wurde-Nico-Hischier-der-Nummer-1-Draft

edit here a video from the tested things

edit edit:
nicos complete Scouting combine report incl. medical check report
Dropbox - Nico17.pdf

nolans complete Scouting combine report incl. medical check report
Dropbox - Nolan17.pdf

So Nico was a whole half inch shorter than Nolan lol

Also, I hope to hell that VO2 max post 1 minute HR is wrong. It has to be wrong...

I have a good amount of experience doing VO2 max testing (late high school and soccer in college). Both of their results, in general, aren't alarming in any way. What is very strange is to see a max heart rate for Nico at 194 and then his heart rate a full minute post workout only recovered to 185. That's bizarre and I have to think it's a measurement issue. Of course there are exceptions, but generally speaking, only individuals in very poor cardiovascular shape would see results like that. Or if they had a heart condition. You should have recovered roughly 20% after a minute.

Just so people know what is being referenced by a few posters....here it is (from September).

Edmonton East

Nov 25, 2007
Before the season started, a poster leaked the scouting combine results for Nico and Nolan on our board. I commented that everything looked relatively normal, EXCEPT Nico's VO2 heart rate results 30 or 60 seconds after stoppage made no sense. The results were so absurd that I stated it had to be a recording error, since his type of reading is generally only seen in very out of shape individuals (obese) or if someone has a heart condition.

Now, no, I'm not ludicrously asserting Nico has a heart condition based on what I still think was mostly a recording error. But he does tend to look more gassed and take a longer time to recover than he should, especially at his age. Definitely something he needs to work on.

I've been trying to find the documents and the results that listed that. I do remember that his heart rate took much muuuch longer to go down compared to everyone else along with peaking much higher too.

Ha, nice timing. I was the one that originally pointed that out at the time. Like I just posted, while it's certainly concerning, I find it near impossible a professional sports organization would overlook something like that. So I'm not going to worry about it.

So are we concluding that Nico has genetic heart issues??
It's almost like you didn't read any of this page....

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Yeah he was out there for a long time, but even just other regular shifts or slightly extended shifts he is keeled over and ragged with his breaths. It is not good.

But he never misses and shift and it isn’t effecting his play.

Most likely he just looks like that. If it doesn’t hurt his play, it isn’t worth griping about.

VoidCreature

Before you see the light, you must die.
Mar 6, 2015
New Jersey
This thread is getting as silly as all that talk about Hall's poor body language. Nico's getting better every game, and last night was the most dominant he's looked.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
A big problem was Hischier's usage. Hynes benched him for ~10 minutes in the first, yet he still played 19 minutes in the last ~50 minutes before the 2 minute shift.

That alone is way too much for Hischier who has clearly shown fatigue at times. Devils need to find a way to keep him in the 16-17 minutes range where he will be more effective. I wasn't a fan of going back to him in OT that quickly, but admittedly the Devils didn't have many 3-on-3 forwards last night.

Reactions: Darkauron

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
A big problem was Hischier's usage. Hynes benched him for ~10 minutes in the first, yet he still played 19 minutes in the last ~50 minutes before the 2 minute shift.

That alone is way too much for Hischier who has clearly shown fatigue at times. Devils need to find a way to keep him in the 16-17 minutes range where he will be more effective. I wasn't a fan of going back to him in OT that quickly, but admittedly the Devils didn't have many 3-on-3 forwards last night.

He played those minutes because he was playing such a strong game. He was being rewarded, and he was very effective until the end of regulation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad