Prospect Info: #13 Nico Hischier: "I love to hockey" Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I definitely don’t believe he did more negative than positive last night, just not his best game so far.

Still scored 2 assists and had 5 shots in a so-so game.

VoidCreature

Before you see the light, you must die.
Mar 6, 2015
New Jersey
Another example where corsi means nothing. Bleed was absolutely right - he was shaky. His turnovers led to goals. I think I can count at least 3 occasions in the third period alone where either the speed of NHL players caught him off guard and he coughed up the puck - or where he was fooled into bad decision making. He made quite a few rookie plays - and that's to be expected.

Last night was not at all his best game - and yet it was a good game for just about any player.

I just disagree. Last night was Nico's best game in the NHL. He was playing with more pace and confidence than he has most of the year so far, making more things happen. Yes, he made a couple key mistakes, but in my view that's the natural result of his increased puck touches. He's 18, so you expect mistakes. What you want to see is speed and the confidence to try and make plays, and he had both of those things going for him yesterday.

Reactions: torero

VoidCreature

Before you see the light, you must die.
Mar 6, 2015
New Jersey
Come on guys, we should be more excited than this. How about some statistics.

Going back to 1987-88, only 10 18 year olds recorded at least 10 points in their first 13 games. They are Sidney Crosby, Patrik Kane, Alexandre Daigle, Pierre Turgeon, Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, Connor McDavid, Ryan O'Reilly, Patrik Laine, Jeff Skinner and Nico Hischier.

The majority of these players shot at least 20% over this time frame. No one shot lower than Hischier's 7.7%.

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
I just disagree. Last night was Nico's best game in the NHL. He was playing with more pace and confidence than he has most of the year so far, making more things happen. Yes, he made a couple key mistakes, but in my view that's the natural result of his increased puck touches. He's 18, so you expect mistakes. What you want to see is speed and the confidence to try and make plays, and he had both of those things going for him yesterday.

so... shaky...?

just because a few of us think he's shaky doesn't mean we're down on him :D

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
It's more that we expected Nico to be good, Bratt came out literally nowhere.

And it's almost a shame in the sense that Nico's play has been so greatly overshadowed. Sure he shows his age at times but that's going to happen when he's 18 years old and playing on our first line already. It's quite remarkable that he's remained so consistent despite that early pressure.
Yup, Bratt has been more of a focus, but that's because of how good and unexpected Bratt has been, not because Nico is under performing.

torero

Oct 5, 2007
West Sussex
www.scb.ch

I also felt it was a great game by him. I specially loved the 2 assists where, both actually were the same type of assists. He has a shot possibility, with fairly deemed little chance of success, he aims at a potential rebound ... that is buried.

He also has many assists that didn't go in but where he distributes a real caviar or does something in line with these "fluke" goals where the puck skirts the goal line without entering or rebounding to go into the goal. This you have many. They are not very apparent but you have at least 1/2 per game of them since the beginning of the year.
He also missed sometimes ... when he should not miss. Or he gets robbed or .. but generally, he has not been lucky IMO. He should still have scored some more.

Not arguing about his mistakes ... and sometimes, yes, he underestimates NHL or tries something that is ok in CHL, not in NHL. agree ... i would rip off my hair on some occasions.

I still see an amazing player, and he simply gives a turn to the game that is very interesting. He is an impact player ... the game without him wouldn't be the same game.

He has this something that sometimes makes you regret he is not constantly on the ice. A hockey IQ that is above everything. I never saw him doing a dumb play !!

That their have been other surprises like Bratt or Butcher or Gibbons is good and shouldn't shadow the good job Hischier is doing. Actually in the 5 best scorers you have Hall and 4 ECL contrats !! So you have a pretty nice surprise there !! And Hischier is part of the package ... except that he was more heralded than the others. 3/4 pts/game is ok IMO and the best is to come. A 6 points in 2 games like Bratt had was unsustainable IMO.

Last edited:

Missionhockey

Jul 6, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
I think the simple answer is that Hischier had a pretty good game last night, but made a few obvious blunders. That's still pretty good considering it his 13th NHL game. I think Nico out lasts the rest of the rookies and it'll be him and Keller for the Calder at the end, just my opinion.

Reactions: Bleedred and torero

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact coming my way!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland

Going back to 1987-88, only 10 18 year olds recorded at least 10 points in their first 13 games. They are Sidney Crosby, Patrik Kane, Alexandre Daigle, Pierre Turgeon, Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, Connor McDavid, Ryan O'Reilly, Patrik Laine, Jeff Skinner and Nico Hischier.

The majority of these players shot at least 20% over this time frame. No one shot lower than Hischier's 7.7%.
That is a cool information, thank you.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011

Stopped reading at Daigle!:sarcasm:

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I think Nico will benefit greatly from getting physically stronger. More so then most guys.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I do feel like this fan base can be too quick to critique young players.

Sometimes you have to just sit back and enjoy it. An 18 year old on a 60 point pace? f*** yes.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Name an 18 year old rookie playing better than him right now I don’t trust h k there are any left in the NHL other than Patrick at this point? How many 18 year old rookies have played better than him through their first 14 games to start their careers? As alluded to above those names include guys like Matthews and Laine and I’m sure McDavid etc. All great players. To me what Nico has accomplished so far is impressive especially with the pressure of having to play 1C and with the 1RW injured for a good chunk of games.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Name an 18 year old rookie playing better than him right now I don’t trust h k there are any left in the NHL other than Patrick at this point? How many 18 year old rookies have played better than him through their first 14 games to start their careers? As alluded to above those names include guys like Matthews and Laine and I’m sure McDavid etc. All great players. To me what Nico has accomplished so far is impressive especially with the pressure of having to play 1C and with the 1RW injured for a good chunk of games.

Patrick is the only other one left. The rest of the 2017 draft class are back to their other clubs.

Nico is leaps and bounds ahead of his peers right now.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
The only real critique I have is that he gets muscled off the puck easily, but that's just because he's not physically matured yet. Once he does he's going to be an absolute nightmare to defend.

EliasFTW

Jan 27, 2009
Utica, NY
My only Critiques is he never Dumps the puck. Every time he enters the Offensive zone he hits the brakes and either looks for a cutting player or does a drop pass. Keep Defenders honest and Dump it in occasionally. Also needs to shoot more. His pass for the slot was mindbogglingly stupid

The Joker

Feb 25, 2011
My only Critiques is he never Dumps the puck. Every time he enters the Offensive zone he hits the brakes and either looks for a cutting player or does a drop pass. Keep Defenders honest and Dump it in occasionally. Also needs to shoot more. His pass for the slot was mindbogglingly stupid

There is a thin line between mindboogingly stupid and absolutey genius. If his pass connects, it's a brilliant play. Now it looks stupid to you. But if you watch the play again, passing it back was the right decision actually, as Talbot played the pass well and there wasn't much to shoot at left for Hischier. If Hall stops it's an easy tap in.

Don't understand why 90% on here say that he needs to shoot that but oh well..

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Kid looks like Datsyuk in the takeaway department. He cleanly stripped the puck 3 or 4 times last night.

EliasFTW

Jan 27, 2009
Utica, NY
There is a thin line between mindboogingly stupid and absolutey genius. If his pass connects, it's a brilliant play. Now it looks stupid to you. But if you watch the play again, passing it back was the right decision actually, as Talbot played the pass well and there wasn't much to shoot at left for Hischier. If Hall stops it's an easy tap in.

I posted this before the game last night so that play didn't even happen yet.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
I also agree about the 2 on 1 with Nico. He had no shot. Talbot got over quickly. Wish Hall would have slowed up but it is what it is.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
I also agree about the 2 on 1 with Nico. He had no shot. Talbot got over quickly. Wish Hall would have slowed up but it is what it is.

watching that replay even if cam got over quickly (which he didn't) the entire top of the net was open. a #1 pick has to roof that and win the game. hopefully he learns from this

Reactions: glenwo2

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ

Agreed. With a perfect pass, he has a shot, but with the pass he received and how it panned out, he likely doesnt score. It was not as glorious of a scoring chance as it appeared in live time.

HischierSeDgewOrk

May 6, 2007
Monmouth County, NJ
I wonder why he is getting winded so quickly. Seems that gets winded after 30 seconds where most players take 45 to 60 seconds. I really hope it's him just not being in great shape....but I do get worried, after the combine tests where his heart rate didn't go down like most players after intense workout. Stayed elevated for a while. I hope it's not correlated. I'm sure the doctors did their due-diligence but when he gets winded, it seems like he's gonna die. He can barely get off the ice sometimes.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
I am a tad concerned as well about Nico looking gassed after some shifts but I think that's just how some players look when after they get off the ice. Look at Kessel, the guy always looks like he's going to pretty much going to pass out after a shift but he's in great shape. Besides, I haven't notice it affect him during shifts all that much, sans really long shifts where no doubt he'd be gassed. He still can turn on the burners in the 3rd just as he does in the 1st.

It is something to keep an eye on for sure but I'm not overly worried.

Reactions: Darkauron
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad