Prospect Info: #13 Nico Hischier: "I love to hockey" Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact coming my way!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
I think he ends up in that second tier below generational where the Tavares level players reside.

So yes a franchise player.

Agreed. I think that he ends up being the next perennial Selke winner once Bergeron slows down, but putting up more points. Selke + 70-80 points year in, year out. This is my gut feeling about Nico.
Indeed a franchise player.

VoidCreature

Before you see the light, you must die.
Mar 6, 2015
New Jersey
63 point pace with obvious room to grow. It's hard to fathom that we have 3 of the top 10 rookie scorers. Future looks very bright.

Reactions: Bleedred

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I thought he had a shaky game tonight, I didn’t think he was that good, but he put up two points.

I think the calls to send him back to Juniors after 2-5 games, were really off the wall. And I’ll maintain that, even if he only scores 40 points this year.

John Pedro

Feb 6, 2014
São Paulo
It's been hard to watch the team on this Canadian trip, games starting so late. Nico has been good if he had a better shot he would be a lock to become a top 10 center in this league, could've buried that Smith rebound (he's missed 3 or 4 goals like that in this season). Can't wait to see what he can do when he fills out and becomes a more powerful skater.

NJ DevLolz

The Many Saints of Newark
Sep 30, 2017
I thought he had a shaky game tonight, I didn’t think he was that good, but he put up two points.

I think the calls to send him back to Juniors after 2-5 games, were really off the wall. And I’ll maintain that, even if he only scores 40 points this year.
Wait, what? 5 shots, 63% corsi (led the team) and two assists is shaky?

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
These are why single game stats for things like corsi (goaltending as well) are not always indicative of how one really played. Which I’ve said a lot around here. Kevin Rooney had a good corsi rating after 2 games, despite looking like the worst forward we iced since Rod Pelley. Then after another two games, his corsi plummeted into the toilet and ended up evening itself out as being as abysmal as the worthless sack of shit that he was. I always use that player as an example.

I don’t think he played terrible though, just a little shaky at times. There was a game or two a while back, we’re he had a hideous relative corsi, yet he looked like one of the best players on the ice. Single game stats are not always representative of how one really played.

Last edited:
Reactions: OmNomNom

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
These are why single game stats for things like corsi (goaltending as well) are not always indicative of how one really played. Which I’ve said a lot around here. Kevin Rooney had a good corsi rating after 2 games, despite looking like the worst forward we iced since Rod Pelley. Then after another two games, his corsi plummeted into the toilet and ended up evening itself out as being as abysmal as the worthless sack of **** that he was. I always use that player as an example.

I don’t think he played terrible though, just a little shaky at times. There was a game or two a while back, we’re he had a hideous relative corsi, yet he looked like one of the best players on the ice. Single game stats are not always representative of how one really played.
don't forget some careless and lazy play. i can recall two instances where he didn't move to defend a player, and allowed a two chances to go to the net, one resulting in a goal.

Bologna 1

Aug 5, 2006
Nico needs to realize that guys close on you so much faster in the NHL than juniors, when it comes to skating the puck out of the defensive zone especially. He has found that out a couple times already and it has resulted in the puck winding up in the back of the net.

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County
Nico needs to realize that guys close on you so much faster in the NHL than juniors, when it comes to skating the puck out of the defensive zone especially. He has found that out a couple times already and it has resulted in the puck winding up in the back of the net.

He tends to skate to the boards and then get the puck stripped away. In Juniors he just blew by the checking forward, he will learn that and he will learn to cut back to the middle where the open ice it. Sometimes its takes a little time to change something you have been doing your entire life.

Im pretty sure Nico placed the Devils first goal vs the Flames in the right spot of that Hall rebound.

NJ DevLolz

The Many Saints of Newark
Sep 30, 2017
These are why single game stats for things like corsi (goaltending as well) are not always indicative of how one really played. Which I’ve said a lot around here. Kevin Rooney had a good corsi rating after 2 games, despite looking like the worst forward we iced since Rod Pelley. Then after another two games, his corsi plummeted into the toilet and ended up evening itself out as being as abysmal as the worthless sack of **** that he was. I always use that player as an example.

Yes, I'm aware of the pitfalls of single game stats. However, I'm not sure why you don't think he had a good game. If you wanna blame the GA where he got muscled off the puck and Mueller was in no man's land, then sure, he could've played it better. But he was dangerous every time he touched the puck. His two assists game from perfectly place shots that created rebounds.

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
Yes, I'm aware of the pitfalls of single game stats. However, I'm not sure why you don't think he had a good game. If you wanna blame the GA where he got muscled off the puck and Mueller was in no man's land, then sure, he could've played it better. But he was dangerous every time he touched the puck. His two assists game from perfectly place shots that created rebounds.
to be fair to him, he said nico didn't play terribly, just shaky at times. you can have a good game mostly, but still be shaky

Reactions: Bleedred

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Hischier's mistakes are mainly just getting adjusted to size and speed of the NHL game. It doesn't help that he's playing 1st line C as the Devils aren't able to shelter him right now, but he's still holding his own.

Even through his mistakes, he's not a liability out there. He will learn and adjust; he's shown way too much skill and IQ not to.

Reactions: David Conte

DevilsJunkie

Jul 28, 2009
Biggest Little City
If I remember correctly, Nico started out relatively slowly w/ Halifax last year. He then used his smarts, made some adjustments, and earned no.1 OA status. The best has yet to come for Nico.

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
Hall, Nico and Bratt can all individually create something from nothing.

It's gonna backfire sometimes.

Patrik26

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 12, 2016
Sussex, NJ
It's been hard to watch the team on this Canadian trip, games starting so late. Nico has been good if he had a better shot he would be a lock to become a top 10 center in this league, could've buried that Smith rebound (he's missed 3 or 4 goals like that in this season). Can't wait to see what he can do when he fills out and becomes a more powerful skater.

Exactly. Right now the opponent can be physical and there's not much he can do about it. The beauty of this is that Bratt and Butcher are producing which should help relieve any pressure Nico might feel otherwise. That and he IS only 18.

VoidCreature

Mar 6, 2015
New Jersey
If I remember correctly, Nico started out relatively slowly w/ Halifax last year. He then used his smarts, made some adjustments, and earned no.1 OA status. The best has yet to come for Nico.

It's not really a slow start though. Despite shooting 7.7% he's 1 point off what Matthews and Laine had 13 games in last year. He's definitely showing his age at times, but it's been a fantastic start of Nico. He's just kind of getting overshadowed right now by the glory that is Jesper Bratt. Our future is so bright with these two.

Reactions: Blender

Sep 8, 2013
Toronto Nebula
It's not really a slow start though. Despite shooting 7.7% he's 1 point off what Matthews and Laine had 13 games in last year. He's definitely showing his age at times, but it's been a fantastic start of Nico. He's just kind of getting overshadowed right now by the glory that is Jesper Bratt. Our future is so bright with these two.
Bratt has only 2 more points than Nico, thanks to a hot start of 6 points in first 3 games.

VoidCreature

Mar 6, 2015
New Jersey
Bratt has only 2 more points than Nico, thanks to a hot start of 6 points in first 3 games.

Might just be that Bratt is flashier than Nico. I was a Parise guy when I started watching in the late 2000s even though Elias was way more accomplished through his career. I'm just thrilled with all the talent we have coming in. We need to fix the back end, but the forwards look completely legit.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
Might just be that Bratt is flashier than Nico. I was a Parise guy when I started watching in the late 2000s even though Elias was way more accomplished through his career. I'm just thrilled with all the talent we have coming in. We need to fix the back end, but the forwards look completely legit.

It's more that we expected Nico to be good, Bratt came out literally nowhere.

And it's almost a shame in the sense that Nico's play has been so greatly overshadowed. Sure he shows his age at times but that's going to happen when he's 18 years old and playing on our first line already. It's quite remarkable that he's remained so consistent despite that early pressure.

Reactions: Blender

Sep 8, 2013
Toronto Nebula
Nico has also been flat robbed of a goal at least 3-4 times this year already.
I remember one time against TB on a feed from Hall, Budaj made a great save and last night Smith robbed him from close in. Some might argue a better shot might have scored.

Fear the Wushu

Dec 4, 2013
New Brunswick, NJ

It's not just about the production though, Bratt has been great on the PP, PK, and the SO goal was glorious and just is a much more noticeable player on the ice. He has been better by a decent amount thus far in their young careers.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010

Another example where corsi means nothing. Bleed was absolutely right - he was shaky. His turnovers led to goals. I think I can count at least 3 occasions in the third period alone where either the speed of NHL players caught him off guard and he coughed up the puck - or where he was fooled into bad decision making. He made quite a few rookie plays - and that's to be expected.

Last night was not at all his best game - and yet it was a good game for just about any player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->