TSN Radio: 1290 am - Part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
I thought the characterization of Perreault going down as "catastrophic" was goofy too. I mean I love Frenchie, but we'll definitely survive if he's out for a while. Hell, if we can survive the loss of our number 1 C for a chunk of time I think we can survive losing a 2nd/3rd line forward.

Westwood suffers from a need to try and express his thoughts in an overly emphatic fashion.

Fairview

Jan 30, 2016
Did anyone happen to listen to the Big Show this morning? They were giving away a Home and Away Grand Prize at about 7:15. Toth calls and a man answers. Jim asks "is this Daniel?" The man replies no. Replies that his name is " Michael" Toth asks if Daniel is around. The man replies that Jim has a wrong number. The man, then realizes, that it is 1290 calling him. The man and Toth each feel that the other is joking around. The man realizes that this call is to announce the Grand Prize. He tells Toth that he had qualified as a contestant earlier. Toth is still hoping to speak with Daniel. They cut to commercial to sort things out. When they return, they announce Michael as the Grand Prize winner. I had to go into work at that point and missed if there was any explanation as to what happened and why Toth was originally looking for Daniel and not Michael.
Does anyone else have any more info on that?

PerryPooley

Dec 28, 2011
Did anyone happen to listen to the Big Show this morning? They were giving away a Home and Away Grand Prize at about 7:15. Toth calls and a man answers. Jim asks "is this Daniel?" The man replies no. Replies that his name is " Michael" Toth asks if Daniel is around. The man replies that Jim has a wrong number. The man, then realizes, that it is 1290 calling him. The man and Toth each feel that the other is joking around. The man realizes that this call is to announce the Grand Prize. He tells Toth that he had qualified as a contestant earlier. Toth is still hoping to speak with Daniel. They cut to commercial to sort things out. When they return, they announce Michael as the Grand Prize winner. I had to go into work at that point and missed if there was any explanation as to what happened and why Toth was originally looking for Daniel and not Michael.
Does anyone else have any more info on that?
I want my prize!
-Daniel

SM

Public Enemy #1
Oct 1, 2015
MB
They said on air they were messing around and asked Michael if they should play the same prank on the next winner. Just trying to spice it up, but like a Jet, it flew right over many people’s heads.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
They said on air they were messing around and asked Michael if they should play the same prank on the next winner. Just trying to spice it up, but like a Jet, it flew right over many people’s heads.

no they didn't. Nothing flew over anyone's head. It wasn't a prank, it was a mistake. They made a couple funny little comments involving pranks, but no way was it a prank. I mean it wasn't a big deal either - I think they just had the wrong name for the phone number they drew. But it was not a prank they were pulling.

Reactions: sipowicz

Dayofthedogs

Bettman's hammer
Feb 20, 2016
Winnipeg
The morning show guys went on about how the Nino headbutt should have been 2mins and isn't comparable to the JoMo crosscheck...

Jesus f***ing Christ it's like these guys do 0 research before going on air.

There is no 2 min penalty for headbutting you ass clowns. It's an automatic 5 and a game.

The point isn't that the JoMo play and Nino play are equivalent it's that if we are going to decide NHL games with revisionist history the Jets should have had a 5 minute PP as well.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
they had a caller this morning who gave his 2 cents on JoMo-gate and just went on and on and on and on....and on...must have repeated his 2 or 3 points a half dozen times each. By the end of his call - an uninterrupted solid 5 minutes of rambling - I was literally talking out loud in my car "blah blah blah!"

They need to be a little more pro-active with callers and bring them to an end once they've had time to make their point. Some people get on there and decide they want to pretend to be lawyers citing legal precedent and such.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
Toth talking right out his arse re the vezina trophy and helly’s chances...

“I know lots of GMs and scouts who rate Helly very highly”

Yeah sure you do Jim.

Reactions: Board Bard

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Toth talking right out his arse re the vezina trophy and helly’s chances...

“I know lots of GMs and scouts who rate Helly very highly”

Yeah sure you do Jim.
I went to turn on 1290 this morning and thought better of it. I couldn't bare the thought of listening to Westwood preach on the Morrissey suspension.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
Westwood and Rewicki all in on the whole “missed call on Morrissey cost the Wild the game” idea. I agree with Toth on that one. No way you can make that claim. It’s just goofy.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
Maybe they missed the 3rd period where we still pushed play while holding onto a 1 goal lead?

It’s just a completely dumb notion. The reasoning is as follows -

If JoMo takes 5 and a game there, the Wild score on the 5 on 3 plus Mo isn’t there to stop the breakaway later and to assist on the Jets goal, therefore the Wild win by 2 or 3.

I mean, sure that could be the way it plays out. Or, the Jets could survive the 5 on 3 and go on to score 5 goals and win by 4. Or the Wild score one on the 5 on 3 and the Jets get mad and refocus and score 8. Who the heck knows? It’s sports and there are lots of guys on the Jets who can score or defend. Taking one player out doesn’t mean there’s some pre-determined outcome.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
It quite likely did cost them the game... Who knows? I'd be saying so if it were us in that position.

“Who knows” is the important part of that statement. It certainly helped us that he didn’t get removed from the equation. But there is no reason at all to think somebody else wouldn’t have stepped up for us and done something good to help win the game in JoMo’s absence. The Wild can say whatever they want, but it’s a meaningless statement because there is no way to predict how the game would have gone had mo been out. We went 11-2 with chef out. Teams overcome adversity all the time.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg

If JoMo takes 5 and a game there, the Wild score on the 5 on 3 plus Mo isn’t there to stop the breakaway later and to assist on the Jets goal, therefore the Wild win by 2 or 3.

I mean, sure that could be the way it plays out. Or, the Jets could survive the 5 on 3 and go on to score 5 goals and win by 4. Or the Wild score one on the 5 on 3 and the Jets get mad and refocus and score 8. Who the heck knows? It’s sports and there are lots of guys on the Jets who can score or defend. Taking one player out doesn’t mean there’s some pre-determined outcome.
Agreed it is a ridiculous notion. You can say something similar about a dozen things that happen during a game. Bottom line Jets out played the Wild and won.

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014

Yeah, Westwood and Rewicki make chimps look like Einstein on this one. They figure if Morrissey was out, every play that happened for the rest of the game would have happened exactly the same way, except with someone else in his spot, like Morrow, and he, of course, would have played the puck poorly and given up a goal, or the Wild would have scored like bandits on the PP. Like you say, circumstances might have unfolded even better for the Jets. Nobody knows, most of all those two 1290 stupes.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
Yeah, Westwood and Rewicki make chimps look like Einstein on this one. They figure if Morrissey was out, every play that happened for the rest of the game would have happened exactly the same way, except with someone else in his spot, like Morrow, and he, of course, would have played the puck poorly and given up a goal, or the Wild would have scored like bandits on the PP. Like you say, circumstances might have unfolded even better for the Jets. Nobody knows, most of all those two 1290 stupes.

yeah we're totally in "butterfly effect" land here. If JoMo gets removed from the equation, then every puck he touched during the game gets touched by somebody else instead. Everything changes. Maybe Ehlers gets one and turns around and does one of his things and scores! Who knows? To try and state that one call in the first period "cost us the game" is just bogus...

Reactions: Board Bard

Neuf

Leaving HFBoards for now
Dec 17, 2016
If the missed call cost them the game then:

1. The Wild can only score in a 5-on-3 situation or
2. Can only score when JoMo is not on the ice

They had over half a game's worth of #2 to show that is not the case. If #1 is true, do you really think that the Wild were going to get another 5-on-3 in the game or in overtime in order to get the SECOND goal they would need to actually win?

Momentum, blah, blah. It's best of 7 for a reason.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Smart move by Boudreau - takes focus off of his lackluster players and ineffective gameplan. Everyone's talking about this now instead of "how is a 101 point team getting creamed by a franchise that hadn't even won a playoff game in its entire 20 year existence until last Wednesday?!"

I mean, the last thing he needs is people talking about his long, ignoble record of choking in the playoffs...year after year of underperformance going back a decade. It's amazing really...people love to joke about France getting their asses handed to them by the Germans twice in the 20th Century, but Boudreau's teams get rolled over every single postseason. Yeah, hey - let's talk about how Morrissey is the root cause - I wonder if Morrissey has a time machine and he sabotaged all of Bruce's past playoff teams? I wouldn't put it past him!

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

So ..... I guess they think we should just concede Friday's game? :laugh:

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Smart move by Boudreau - takes focus off of his lackluster players and ineffective gameplan. Everyone's talking about this now instead of "how is a 101 point team getting creamed by a franchise that hadn't even won a playoff game in its entire 20 year existence until last Wednesday?!"

I mean, the last thing he needs is people talking about his long, ignoble record of choking in the playoffs...year after year of underperformance going back a decade. It's amazing really...people love to joke about France getting their asses handed to them by the Germans twice in the 20th Century, but Boudreau's teams get rolled over every single postseason. Yeah, hey - let's talk about how Morrissey is the root cause - I wonder if Morrissey has a time machine and he sabotaged all of Bruce's past playoff teams? I wouldn't put it past him!

Pretty much everything Boudreau has said this week is classic someone trying to save their ass/job by deflecting the truth. Twist the narrative into something else, and maybe the boss won't notice how I'm f***ing up.

Reactions: KingBogo
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad