TSN Radio: 1290 am - Part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

GaryPoppins

A broken clock is right twice in a day
Sep 10, 2016
TSN has to boot Westwood off the morning show. The guy is just terrible. He tries to use big words, but bumbles and stutters on them. His overuse of "Profound" or "catastrophic" is just brutal. Not to mention, you hear him trying to talk advanced stats, but you can tell he really doesn't understand them himself. He's just straight up awful/

He is very knowledgeable for football and CFL, but he is not a sufficient NHL voice.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
From a business standpoint, do you really want expansion teams to be uncompetitive for years and just blow all the goodwill and initial interest in a team? Is that the best way to establish the league in a new market? No, it's stupid. Competitive Vegas > Weak Sister Expansion Team Vegas.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
TSN has to boot Westwood off the morning show. The guy is just terrible. He tries to use big words, but bumbles and stutters on them. His overuse of "Profound" or "catastrophic" is just brutal. Not to mention, you hear him trying to talk advanced stats, but you can tell he really doesn't understand them himself. He's just straight up awful/

He is very knowledgeable for football and CFL, but he is not a sufficient NHL voice.

totally disagree. There's at least one other person on the show that needs to go before Westwood.

Reactions: Peter Tagli Eddie

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
Westwood being critical of Kobe Bryant, about his straying from his marriage with the nurse at the rehab clinic Kobe was staying at, and how he cannot respect the man.

Yet, cannot get enough Tiger Woods, and how amazing would the world be if he can successfully comeback and start winning on the PGA again.

Quite the contradiction, critical on Kobe for a singular incident, while being a homer for Tiger, who strayed from his marriage countless times.

Bristo

The Oracle
Mar 24, 2013
Westwood being critical of Kobe Bryant, about his straying from his marriage with the nurse at the rehab clinic Kobe was staying at, and how he cannot respect the man.

Yet, cannot get enough Tiger Woods, and how amazing would the world be if he can successfully comeback and start winning on the PGA again.

Quite the contradiction, critical on Kobe for a singular incident, while being a homer for Tiger, who strayed from his marriage countless times.

Based on what I hear on the radio, Troy Westwood and consistency of thought are things that have not become acquainted.

Reactions: thegr8one66

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Don't mind Westwood but agree on the Tiger/Kobe hypocrisy. Also rubbed me the wrong way how he isn't going to care or is no longer looking forward to the Olympics and how the fans are getting robbed since the NHL is not participating. Although it is disappointing NHLers aren't there, he doesn't have to shit on the event. They are still Canadians representing the country in the sport of hockey and should have our support. I am sure a lot of people share his disappointment, however I don't think he needed to start downplaying the event as a whole.

Reactions: Fairview

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Don't mind Westwood but agree on the Tiger/Kobe hypocrisy. Also rubbed me the wrong way how he isn't going to care or is no longer looking forward to the Olympics and how the fans are getting robbed since the NHL is not participating. Although it is disappointing NHLers aren't there, he doesn't have to **** on the event. They are still Canadians representing the country in the sport of hockey and should have our support. I am sure a lot of people share his disappointment, however I don't think he needed to start downplaying the event as a whole.

There may even be other sports to watch at the Olympics besides hockey ;)

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
There are about 30 different sports I wish were more popular in Canada, but Biathlon is in my top 3 of that list.

One could argue figure skating gets higher ratings than hockey does during the olympics (globally at any rate). I've always found short track speed skating to be super exciting, plus we usually do well in it ha

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
From a business standpoint, do you really want expansion teams to be uncompetitive for years and just blow all the goodwill and initial interest in a team? Is that the best way to establish the league in a new market? No, it's stupid. Competitive Vegas > Weak Sister Expansion Team Vegas.

I'm fine with weak sisters. Better if they're in the Jets' division though.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
U look at Vegas and that Roster and they should be weak sisters.

I think that roster is decent. They lack a true #1D or a #1C but they have more depth than most teams because they don't gp have many stars to pay

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
I'm fine with weak sisters. Better if they're in the Jets' division though.
Yeah as a fan of a different team, I'd be fine with expansion teams floundering for a good long while...and I'm sure there are some owners who will be pushing to make the next expansion draft less favorable to the new team - Vegas is making some management groups look quite bad. But if the goal is to grow revenues, and the means to that end is having financially successful franchises across North America, then giving the new team on the block a leg up is a good idea.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Caught a bit of a caller this morning....seems like he was leaning towards moving Laine cuz he would cost to much and that we would have to pay kids from the farm eventually...jeez

Dayofthedogs

Bettman's hammer
Feb 20, 2016
Winnipeg
If I have to listen to that nitwit Westwood cry about the little contract one more time....

He makes horrible arguments about it based on his age and the "cap" issues without ever actually going and looking at the underlying numbers of these 2 things.

Yes players decline after 30 on average. But that's not the whole story there. Good players have further to fall back and 35 isn't really that old.

Never mind a cap hit of 5 + whatever Little makes is not going to be all that much in 3 or 4 years.

Am I the only one not worried about the cap in the future?

Sure it's gonna play a part but look at the deals we have already. We have a fair amount of money coming off the books in the next 3 years starting with Toby/Matthias. Then Wheeler and Myers. Then Kulikov, Mason and MP.

The raises we have coming are numerous and likely expensive in Laine (8mil I'm guessing) Connor will probably get a little less than Ehlers or bridged I'm thinking. Trouba has played himself down from a 8 mil player to a 6.5 IMO and JoMo I'm guessing signs at market value around 6. Lowry is probably around 2-3 and if any of Copp/Armia/Dano/Tanev want more than 2mil trade em for picks and give Lemieux/Petan/Roslo/Foley/Appleton a shot.

I'm hoping we can Marleau a deal for Wheeler as well when his time come. High AAV and short term.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
The minute Westwood gets on his soapbox about anything (even if I agree on his point) I put music or NHL Network on...bliss.

I made the mistake of trying to listen this morning. Westwood was going on and on about "let down games" - I turned it off after 5mins.

Never again, I swear. :laugh: I really don't mind the pre-game shows, and listen to it if I'm not near a TV or a tablet/computer, but outside of that: no 1290 for me anymore. Sad really, as I used to like it.

For some reason though, I want to buy a pillow.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I made the mistake of trying to listen this morning. Westwood was going on and on about "let down games" - I turned it off after 5mins.

Never again, I swear. :laugh: I really don't mind the pre-game shows, and listen to it if I'm not near a TV or a tablet/computer, but outside of that: no 1290 for me anymore. Sad really, as I used to like it.

For some reason though, I want to buy a pillow.
Westwood has become very difficult to listen to IMO. Gets on a soap box and does nothing but preach. He is as far away from a conversational feel as you can get.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Westwood has become very difficult to listen to IMO. Gets on a soap box and does nothing but preach. He is as far away from a conversational feel as you can get.

Please don't lecture me on how I should live my life Troy :soap: its 7:30 in the morning and I just want to listen to dumb jocks talk about the Jets while I drive my kids to school.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011

He needs to get away from the social and political BS he likes to interject into a sports show, no Troy i’m Not listening to a sports station to be enlightened by your moral compass and ranting and ravings, talk sports and nothing else!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad