TSN Radio: 1290 am - Part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Slater is awesome! Not sure if he gets a shot at the Olympic team.....but I sure hope so.

I liked the bit where Rick asked him about a job in media when he was done playing and he said "are you offering me a job?". I know some people would take him as a color commentator over a couple of the guys in the rotation now. ;)

DowntownBooster

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg
Westwood has become very difficult to listen to IMO. Gets on a soap box and does nothing but preach. He is as far away from a conversational feel as you can get.

He's the reason I stopped listening to them. It was last year prior to when the Jets were going to induct the Hot Line into the newly created Winnipeg Jets Hall of Fame when he started on about how Bobby Hull should not have been included due to incidents in his personal life. He helped stir up a hornets nest which resulted in Hull not attending the events of that week. The fans were robbed of getting an opportunity to see Hull, Hedberg and Nilsson together and show our appreciation to them for providing us with some of the best hockey ever played in this city. It also robbed Hedberg and Nilsson of the opportunity to celebrate and reminisce with their former linemate. No one condones what occurred in Hull's private life but he always treated the fans well and never turned away an autograph seeker. As many people have pointed out at times previously, without Hull signing with the Jets in June of 1972, it is highly unlikely the NHL would ever have come to Winnipeg or subsequently returned here in 2011.

:jets

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
He's the reason I stopped listening to them. It was last year prior to when the Jets were going to induct the Hot Line into the newly created Winnipeg Jets Hall of Fame when he started on about how Bobby Hull should not have been included due to incidents in his personal life. He helped stir up a hornets nest which resulted in Hull not attending the events of that week. The fans were robbed of getting an opportunity to see Hull, Hedberg and Nilsson together and show our appreciation to them for providing us with some of the best hockey ever played in this city. It also robbed Hedberg and Nilsson of the opportunity to celebrate and reminisce with their former linemate. No one condones what occurred in Hull's private life but he always treated the fans well and never turned away an autograph seeker. As many people have pointed out at times previously, without Hull signing with the Jets in June of 1972, it is highly unlikely the NHL would ever have come to Winnipeg or subsequently returned here in 2011.

So it is more important that he signed autographs than what he did in his actual life and what kind of example that sets? :huh: There are lots of female and Jewish fans of the Winnipeg Jets and they deserve to be respected by this club. I was surprised that an organization as vanilla and risk averse as TNSE would even associated themselves with him in the first place.

DowntownBooster

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg
So it is more important that he signed autographs than what he did in his actual life and what kind of example that sets? :huh: There are lots of female and Jewish fans of the Winnipeg Jets and they deserve to be respected by this club. I was surprised that an organization as vanilla and risk averse as TNSE would even associated themselves with him in the first place.

These incidents transpired years ago prior to Hull being inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame (1983) and having his number retired by both Chicago (1983) and Winnipeg (1989). It would not be a surprise that the incidents in his personal life were fueled by alcohol and not a reflection of how he would treat the general public including women. Family dynamics are a complicated thing especially when certain issues may be generational in nature. A lot of people who lived in that era didn't have the coping skills to deal with some issues as there weren't the resources available for help like there is today. None of us were there to witness what transpired and can look at things through the lense of 2017 when we make our judgements. We do know that Brett Hull lived through what took place in that family and he has not disowned his dad. People who make mistakes in their past should be allowed to atone for them and not be held in contempt for the rest of their life. No individual can ever move forward if they're forever only judged by their mistakes of the past. I believe that he should be recognized for all the good he has done for hockey and the positive impact he has had on his fans by not just signing autographs but also for the visits to hospitals and to the kitchens of restaurants to say hello to the cooks as well as the charitable work he has done over the years. It was appropriate for TNSE to include Hull in the Winnipeg Jets Hall of Fame for all the good he had done. The other issues in his life are what he has to live with on a personal level.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
I like Westwood. Yeah he goes too far with the SJW stuff and I tune out when he gets on the soap box, but in general I like his contribution. However, Toth is off this week and Troy is in the big chair and once again we learn that he isn’t suited for the role. Every guest is a “darned good buddy” lol.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Sound like Lawless "got some splainin to do"

Former Winnipeg sportscaster Gary Lawless's Tuxedo home in court fight

Months after former Winnipeg sportscaster Gary Lawless moved to Las Vegas to join the Golden Knights NHL franchise, a dispute over his Old Tuxedo home has landed in court.
The buyer of Lawless’s home at 140 Girton Boulevard is trying to get the court to reverse the deal after frozen pipes caused water damage there this fall, but Lawless has argued he shouldn’t be held responsible for damage that happened after the new owner took possession of the home.
Earlier this month, without making a judgment on the case, a Court of Queen’s Bench judicial officer issued a garnishment order that requires Lawless and his wife to repay the $675,000 they received from the sale of the home. The buyer, Brownstone Estates Ltd., is also seeking an injunction to stop the land transfer.

more:
https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/l...sss-tuxedo-home-in-court-fight-466890693.html

rkp

Mar 31, 2011
For someone who went to college(westwood), his speaking skills and language usage is terrible and adolescent. When listening(comparing) to Doug Brown on the BB broadcasts, it is obvious Doug Brown listened in class.

drumzan

#NHLJets
Jul 9, 2011

Months after former Winnipeg sportscaster Gary Lawless moved to Las Vegas to join the Golden Knights NHL franchise, a dispute over his Old Tuxedo home has landed in court.
The buyer of Lawless’s home at 140 Girton Boulevard is trying to get the court to reverse the deal after frozen pipes caused water damage there this fall, but Lawless has argued he shouldn’t be held responsible for damage that happened after the new owner took possession of the home.
Earlier this month, without making a judgment on the case, a Court of Queen’s Bench judicial officer issued a garnishment order that requires Lawless and his wife to repay the $675,000 they received from the sale of the home. The buyer, Brownstone Estates Ltd., is also seeking an injunction to stop the land transfer.

more:
This story has been removed
With this lawsuit weighing on Gary’s mind all day, he could sure use MyPillow to get a better sleep.

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada
It's been really nice listening to 1290 at lunch this week without Kevin O on the air. I just can't warm up to his on air personality.

Reactions: sipowicz

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg

more:
This story has been removed

I think Lawless is "most certainly" in the right here. After owning tons of houses apartments etc --I know all about water damage.

Firstly- if the pipes were in "good shape" when the new owner took possession, then it's the "new owner's" responsibility to keep the ambiant air temperature warm enough for the pipes not to freeze - right ??? I mean a new owner could take possession, and try to save on heating, letting the temperature drop below freezing, and then water pipes will "split" and you'll have water pouring in "all over"-could cause huge amounts of damage $$$.

EXAMPLE - where I live - a window basement window came loose, and opened on it's own by a slight wind. It was - 28 Celcius outside, and that cold air blew in from that window that was ajar, and the pipe to the washing machine split. There was water all over the place. In about 5-8 minutes about 3 inches high all over the basement.

Very lucky I was home when it happened !!! - shut off the water main "right away."

How could Gary be responsible ?? when he turned possession over, and the water carrying pipes were all in good order ??? I don't see it.

I cannot see the courts recinding the sale of the property, when the new owners were not keeping up the heat to the proper temperature, to prevent pipe damage. It looks from reading this article, that's what happened ??? There must be more to this :dunno:

This is craziness !!! - something is amiss here-"not right"

Last edited:
Reactions: sipowicz

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Firstly- if the pipes were in "good shape" when the new owner took possession, then it's the "new owner's" responsibility to keep the ambiant air temperature warm enough for the pipes not to freeze - right ??? I mean a new owner could take possession, and try to save on heating, letting the temperature drop below freezing, and then water pipes will "split" and you'll have water pouring in "all over"-could cause huge amounts of damage $$$.
EXAMPLE - where I live - a window basement window came loose, and opened on it's own by a slight wind. It was - 28 Celcius outside, and that cold air blew in from that window that was ajar, and the pipe to the washing machine split. There was water all over the place. In about 5-8 minutes about 3 inches high all over the basement.
Very lucky I was home when it happened !!! - shut off the water main "right away."
How could Gary be responsible ?? when he turned possession over, and the water carrying pipes were all in good order ??? I don't see it.
I cannot see the courts recinding the sale of the property, when the new owners were not keeping up the heat to the proper temperature, to prevent pipe damage. It looks from reading this article, that's what happened ??? There must be more to this :dunno:
The buyer said they found the damage when they took possession, so it happened while Lawless was still the legal owner and therefore he is liable.

Lawless is saying the damage happened after the new owners took possession. Actually, if you read the WFP article, Lawless' defense was saying a whole lot of things - it happened after possession; he thought they were tearing it down; he didn't know hydro was disconnected; it was checked regularly for insurance; the movers didn't see damage on Nov 30; the purchaser had the keys before possession. None of that is relevant except the claim that it happened after possession - and even then, Lawless would have trouble disproving the buyer's claim if they had pictures of the damage taken on the possession date. So basically none of the excuses in the article would've held up in court.

It was settled out of court, so Lawless likely cut a deal and coughed up some cash.

Reactions: Jets 31 and GNP

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Well Gmoney,- then "your right on the money." It would be the seller's (vendor) responsibility until the date of possession. After that point, it would be the buyers.

I did not read the article, just read Sip's post. What you say makes sense.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
1290 lost me last week after Rick had that guy on who made the "Top 10 List of Numbers between 1 and 10" guy. I get the joke. I think it's funny. It's not what I want to spend a segment of sports talk radio on. I kept waiting for it to move into something sports related but it didn't.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
Oh good...they are discussing the impact of sport on social injustice.

Ah yes and a segment on some UFC tilt which is apparently happening tonight that I am apparently supposed to be “super geeked” about because “we’ve all been waiting” for it. Yeesh.

Last edited:

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Troy cannot be the main guy at all. I think they should give Brandon a look although I don't think he would fair better

basplit

Jan 12, 2014
Troy cannot be the main guy at all. I think they should give Brandon a look although I don't think he would fair better

Agreed some people have it---he doesnt.
He's "ok" as a middle man.

If he says TSN----TSN.ca one more time .....

Having two GOOD lead guys together is a bad choice.
( RR and Hus )

They need to re-arrange the deck chairs.

Remis who is a ( I believe ) a producer is entertaining.
The warm -up is good--sure there is some out there stuff but its supposed to be that way.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Agreed some people have it---he doesnt.
He's "ok" as a middle man.

If he says TSN----TSN.ca one more time .....

Having two GOOD lead guys together is a bad choice.
( RR and Hus )

They need to re-arrange the deck chairs.

Remis who is a ( I believe ) a producer is entertaining.
The warm -up is good--sure there is some out there stuff but its supposed to be that way.
Yes Remis is good although seldom used. I don't think he can carry a show either. The one thing i do like when one of troy or JT are gone is that Brandon shines a bit more

basplit

Jan 12, 2014
Yes Remis is good although seldom used. I don't think he can carry a show either. The one thing i do like when one of troy or JT are gone is that Brandon shines a bit more

Re-Remis its all about chemistry--- Huss and Lawless had it. Huss and Remis has it. Jay --had it with Liebs and Troy--Its not easy to find it seems.

I agree on Brandon all his comments are well thought out and hes well spoken.

Reactions: nhlpro

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
I agree on Brandon all his comments are well thought out and hes well spoken.
Yes, i think he has the most unbiased view of the Jets and is more knowledgeable of the 3 when it comes to the NHL and hockey. Every time I hear JT talk about a non-Jets player it sounds like he is hearing/talking about the guy for the first time.

Reactions: FFHockey
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad