I drink on Saturdays!

• Haha
Reactions: mja

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
Not even someone like Zach Bryan?
If it's twang (country 3rd) it's bad. I can't even listen to Peachtree Road, an actual Elton John album, because I don't like twang. And Elton as you might know is one of my favorites.

It's also why I prefer to skip over the Eagles' non-rock songs. Lyin' Eyes, etc. Feel Like Makin' Love or Victim of Love? I could listen to that any time.

On the other hand, older country like Johnny Cash and the other legends miss that twang sound. The twang came about later when country was starting to hit the mainstream I feel like. That would be a nice video essay.

It's not a vendetta or anything, though there is something to be said about the "pandering" aspect of the lyrics. Those all take a backseat to the country 3rd for me. It makes my musical brain itch

"You might remember frodo from the hobbit" bruh

how could you not know frodo is from Lord of the Rings? Its own IP? Even before the movies how could anyone not know, the legendarium is a literal building block of fantasy literature

Last edited:

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
If it's twang (country 3rd) it's bad. I can't even listen to Peachtree Road, an actual Elton John album, because I don't like twang. And Elton as you might know is one of my favorites.

It's also why I prefer to skip over the Eagles' non-rock songs. Lyin' Eyes, etc. Feel Like Makin' Love or Victim of Love? I could listen to that any time.

On the other hand, older country like Johnny Cash and the other legends miss that twang sound. The twang came about later when country was starting to hit the mainstream I feel like. That would be a nice video essay.

It's not a vendetta or anything, though there is something to be said about the "pandering" aspect of the lyrics. Those all take a backseat to the country 3rd for me. It makes my musical brain itch

how could you not know frodo is from Lord of the Rings? Its own IP? Even before the movies how could anyone not know, the legendarium is a literal building block of fantasy literature

This is it. There are no good country twang songs. Its an important distinction.

Reactions: DancingPanther

Lord Defect

Secretary of Blowtorching
Nov 13, 2013
Should I weigh in?

Aliens? Let's do it.

Was anyone else stupid enough to get sucked into that Secret of Skinwalker Ranch show on History channel? They do some pretty cool experiments and shit on the Ranch and gather data trying to figure out what the hell is actually going on there. They totally yuck it up with the production for shock value and all that, but the actual scientific stuff going on is pretty interesting. It's definitely a hotspot for weird shit, and the main scientist actually got pulled onto some official government task force for UAP's a year or two ago, so there's some legit findings coming out of it.

Worth a watch if you like that stuff, just be prepared for the standard History Channel hysterics they toss in every episode.
It’s far far too overdramatized for my liking with zero results

Reactions: Young Sandwich

Cody Webster

Jul 18, 2014

No go on something like this?

Lord Defect

Nov 13, 2013
It's so bad now. They went careening off the deep end.
The history channel is as bad as my hate radio(1210am) on either Sunday early morning or Monday early morning(about 1am). It’s all aliens and supernatural at that time and they take calls from across the country but it seems to always be from Cletus or maribell. I saw a blue light over yonder and it sucked up my favorite cow Betsy!

Lord Defect

Nov 13, 2013
You didn't ask for it, but you're getting it - my take on extra-terrestrial life. If someone can give me a walking bass line...

Despite the odds, there still exists a chance there is no other intelligent life out there. Unless it is known, it is an unknown. 99.99% is still not 100%, probabilities be damned. Do I believe there is intelligent life out there? Not really, but it would not surprise me if it was discovered.

The King of the Hill Theory (I tell you hwut) says that some entity will, by and large, be the most superior. What if that entity was the human race? All of the prognostication, speculation, and wish fulfillment suggests there is intelligent life out there, and by default, MUST be much more advanced than Earth-bound civilizations. Why? We just may be the top dogs in the universe, but that doesn't make for a romantically-satisfying discovery among the tinfoil hat crowd.

As was mentioned upthread, the chances of hard evidence being leaked is much more prevalent these days with the advent of social media and media devices. I'd like to see some unassailable physical evidence - and multiple instances of such, not just a, "We found what looks like a laptop in King Tut's whacking room."

Look, I'm not going to clown anyone for believing in extra-terrestrial life. Chances are you are right and I am the knucklehead, but, I am a logic- and evidence-based person and leaps of faith aren't in my repertoire.

Flame on.
We’re still discovering new forms of life on our planet. There no feasible way that there isn’t life on other planets.
That life being intelligent, or superior to ours is a whole other issue.

CoUntRy MuSiC SuckS
It does. But I did go to a Garth brooks show and enjoyed that one. He puts on a hell of a show.

Cody Webster

Jul 18, 2014
This is a go. From a quick listen. This is less stadium/pop/twang country and more bluegrassy/Americana. I know I know, it's a weird blurred line. But it is very much delineated in my mind lol
The Luke Bryan's of the world can f*** right off, but Childers and Zach Bryan, that's the good country

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
We’re still discovering new forms of life on our planet. There no feasible way that there isn’t life on other planets.
That life being intelligent, or superior to ours is a whole other issue.

It does. But I did go to a Garth brooks show and enjoyed that one. He puts on a hell of a show.
There's always the issue of time. Maybe there were tens of millions of highly advanced civilizations....tens of millions of years ago, or there will be tens of millions of years from now. We've only been around for a nanosecond.

Chicken N Raffls

Here for the chaos and lolz
Nov 7, 2022
Douglassville
I hated country as a kid, but growing up with a friend who liked it, and working with some guys who liked it when I was older took its toll. Now I live with a woman born and raised on it and I've softened my stance a bit. Still on the lower end of genres for me, but I will say one thing I always appreciated about country was the humor. There were plenty of lines from country songs that made me laugh, even if I wasn't really into the music. The modern stuff I don't even think of as country. It's pop with a bit of twang and a southern accent (sometimes)

I want this played at my funeral/wake/death party/whatever, though.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
If that is the case, who knows how long universes have been crunching and expanding over and over again? It's wild that we'll never have any of these answers.
Potentially an infinite number universes have existed in the past and will exist in the future, yet we managed to win the unimaginably unlikely lottery of existing at the same time as dinosaur chicken nuggets.

Blessed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad