GDT: 10/7/17 - 7:00PM EDT - Tampa Bay @ Florida

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Same issues three straight seasons with breakouts, and somehow it's not Cooper. Okay buddy.

You're worse than Nick with Callahan.

No one is worse than me when it comes to defending a player or whatnot. I am the Thunder Buddying master! Even got my own dancing Emoji. :dd:

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
What you're saying is coaches don't matter. You're saying Cooper does "literally nothing," and yet somehow deserves credit when the team wins. What if we had a coach that actually contributed something? Like the way Richards takes advantage of our speed on PP zone entries? Maybe we should have an ES coach who could manage something like that. It's pretty clear Cooper can't.

We should have lost by 5 goals tonight.

I'm not saying there isn't issues. I'm saying that in the past we've played like this and in the snap of a finger it's fixed. If history repeats itself then it's time to stop blaming Cooper for everything. When I say he does nothing I mean his adjustments are minimal.
If a coach can’t motivate players and he “literally does nothing” then what is he doing as the coach of an NHL team?

The players are either

1) doing exactly what they are coached to do and that means Cooper needs to go

Or

2) the team is tuning Cooper out and that means Cooper needs to go

Or 3 they're lazy as f***. Matt it's very simple. This team goes on cold streaks and hot streaks at the drop of a hat and every time something doesn't work we cry at the top of lungs that the system is broken. Yet somehow last year ALL of our problems were instantaneously resolved by AHL players and Coop literally did NOTHING different. And 2 years ago it's the same thing. We limp into the 2016 on the heels of Drouin demanding a trade after being sent to the minors and suddenly we're playing like champions. We botch the Western Canada road trip, team meeting. Win streak. We slow down... team meeting. Win streak. It had NOTHING to do with Cooper!

He didn't tweak our entries. He didn't use the 1-3-1 with a lead any less. He didn't micromanage any more or less during scoring slumps than he normally does and nor he change his demeanor on the bench. This is why I say he does nothing. He's stuck with his guns.

We've seen it happen TWICE now. And you and everyone else are freaking the f*** out that I'm not burning him in effigy because right now I'm waiting a few weeks to see if the team pulls itself together and goes on a tear through the rest of the NHL and suddenly Cooper's broken ass system works again as if by magic. And in the meantime he'll have made no adjustments same as always.

Winning is always effort dependent. If the coach deserved to be fired every time a team didn't play its best then we'd have fired 10 coaches between Boucher and now.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
That's kind of the way it works when the majority of your team is 22 (in 2014). You stick with them. And when the 1 coach loses them, you get a new coach.

Even if it IS on the players, you still get a new coach to send them a message.

We'll see. If this carries on further then I'll be calling for change. I'm not convinced it's all on him yet. If the team suddenly pulls out then where does that leave us?

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
I love how you act like two seasons ago is something to be proud of. We squeaked into the playoffs and got to play bad teams on the way to the ECF. And last year that broken system missed the playoffs.

We can turn it around because the team has sick talent. But that Detroit series broke Cooper. Everything changed that series.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
Maybe the young kids came in and did well because they had something to prove? Because they aren’t in Cooper’s clubhouse? I agree that the team is soft and lazy. Where I disagree is that I don’t think we just happen to have players that are lazy. A very important aspect of a coach’s job is to get the best out of his players. He clearly isn’t. Place the blame on system or lazy players or whatever. The fact remains he isn’t getting the best out of his roster.

Reactions: Sky04

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
And seriously f*** wait and see. The story is the same as the past two seasons. You're being dense as hell.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Maybe the young kids came in and did well because they had something to prove? Because they aren’t in Cooper’s clubhouse? I agree that the team is soft and lazy. Where I disagree is that I don’t think we just happen to have players that are lazy. A very important aspect of a coach’s job is to get the best out of his players. He clearly isn’t. Place the blame on system or lazy players or whatever. The fact remains he isn’t getting the best out of his roster.

As of tonight that's agreed. Like I said I'm gonna wait it out. I'll probably give him til November. If not by then. Well. Let's just say I carry a big ax

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
Even if you think the players are just lazy, are you just going to throw your hands up and say “WELP NOTHING WE CAN DO!”? The coaching staff has to get the best from his roster. If he can’t then he needs to be replaced.

FinnLightning26

Death and no taxes
Sep 16, 2007
Lapland
I love how you act like two seasons ago is something to be proud of. We squeaked into the playoffs and got to play bad teams on the way to the ECF. And last year that broken system missed the playoffs.

We can turn it around because the team has sick talent. But that Detroit series broke Cooper. Everything changed that series.

That is so true. We were playing to our strengths the whole season which was obviously offense but he shat his pants when Babcock's defensive team put them in a hard place. This team hasn't been the same since. They go in a shell after leading by a goal most nights and most of the time, very VERY surprisingly, it doesn't work.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
And seriously **** wait and see. The story is the same as the past two seasons. You're being dense as hell.

It's not on purpose Mach. If there's anything I've learned it's that it's best to wait and see. Yzerman proves my rash reactions wrong on the regular. If we suddenly pull out of this then what? I'm not doing this so I can be right. It's that I've been legitimately concerned about the chemistry and complacency of our roster for years now and I'm not certain if Coop is actually making it worse.

If we suddenly rattle off a huge winning streak and play like champions then at what point does the board become convinced it wasn't Cooper after all?

The last thing I want is for Coop to get fired and total f***ing derp worse than him takes over

FinnLightning26

Death and no taxes
Sep 16, 2007
Lapland
It's not on purpose Mach. If there's anything I've learned it's that it's best to wait and see. Yzerman proves my rash reactions wrong on the regular. If we suddenly pull out of this then what? I'm not doing this so I can be right. It's that I've been legitimately concerned about the chemistry and complacency of our roster for years now and I'm not certain if Coop is actually making it worse.

If we suddenly rattle off a huge winning streak and play like champions then at what point does the board become convinced it wasn't Cooper after all?

The last thing I want is for Coop to get fired and total ****ing derp worse than him takes over

Can we get worse though? Everyone agrees we have great talent on this team, no? If they have been getting along with talent alone, changing coaches to one who can actually make a difference isn't that big of a gamble. We've seen enough of this shit throughout the years and I'm ready for change, whatever that might be. I remember us losing that Cup final game 1 too vividly because we would try to preserve that one goal lead rather than go for more because we easily had the offensive weapons for that.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Even if you think the players are just lazy, are you just going to throw your hands up and say “WELP NOTHING WE CAN DO!”? The coaching staff has to get the best from his roster. If he can’t then he needs to be replaced.

I'd agree if we were not just 2 games in and in need of completely re-inventing our breakout without Bishop. I'm willing to be patient but not for much longer. If I were not so convinced the team had serious flaws I'd have been content to stick with wanting Coop fired as soon as Drouin asked for the trade. Don't forget I was in full favor of his firing at that point but meanwhile people rallied and were ready to kick him the door.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Can we get worse though? Everyone agrees we have great talent on this team, no? If they have been getting along with talent alone, changing coaches to one who can actually make a difference isn't that big of a gamble. We've seen enough of this **** throughout the years and I'm ready for change, whatever that might be. I remember us losing that Cup final game 1 too vividly because we would try to preserve that one goal lead rather than go for more because we easily had the offensive weapons for that.

Oh yes. We could have Therrien, Roy, Bednar or God forbid Ruff and Tippett.

Fabiobest

Italian Florida Man
Feb 4, 2017
Turin, Italy
Last thought before going to bed (it's 05:48 am :D )
I've read every post here and it's a pleasure for me, really.
I've also some post where someone of you said: "Ok, I'll accept every coach, cause it's impossible to do worse than today"
Imho, it's a non-sense theory: it's wrong to hire the first person you'll find on the street because it's impossible to do worse.
If a change will be necessary, a great team like Tampa Bay, with a great organization, has to do it to improve our team.
So, the question is: how many coach are there available? And who are they?
I've posted the name of Roy. Rejected.
Others...?
Sutter? Richards...?
I don't know, it's just a question.
So, maybe, Yzerman won't fire Cooper cause there're not good solutions to improve our team.

FinnLightning26

Death and no taxes
Sep 16, 2007
Lapland
Oh yes. We could have Therrien, Roy, Bednar or God forbid Ruff and Tippett.

You don't have to hire someone from the old boys club. Promote Groulx for all I care. He did well with Syracuse who weren't expected to do that much. Or hire someone else who actually puts emphasis on speed and skill like that one guy in Pittsburgh. I have liked Cooper and hoped it wouldn't come to this but all the talk before the season has been for nothing because we've been dominated by the Panthers in both games. To me, nothing has changed. I fully expect us to be destroyed by the Caps, Pens and Blues next week and if/when that happens, it's time for change.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
Gerard Gallant is who I wanted. Now he’s got the expansion team out to the best start in expansion history. Meanwhile the supposed Cup caliber Lightning got prolapsed for the 4th straight game by the Panthers (including preseason).

FinnLightning26

Death and no taxes
Sep 16, 2007
Lapland
Gerard Gallant is who I wanted. Now he’s got the expansion team out to the best start in expansion history. Meanwhile the supposed Cup caliber Lightning got prolapsed for the 4th straight game by the Panthers (including preseason).

Hiring Gallant has probably been the only good move by McPhee. He got shafted by the Panthers last year.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Best thing we can do is wait till the 20 game mark see where we are at then. Yzerman I can’t see hire a guy of the street during the season he would probably go with Todd Richards.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
A couple things from me - The good: Point looks great and I'm glad the top line is jellin like they were last year before Stammers injury. Serg had an adventurous game, but I'm glad through all the bumps they kept putting him out there. I do like his confidence and aggressiveness. It's a process with him, and it's going to take time, but I think they're handling it well.

The bad, just about everything else. Bleh. I feel really bad for Vasy. There's no way they should have given us that much trouble.

And the huh? The panthers goal song is from Jimmy Eat World if I heard correctly. I like them, but don't know if it goes.

Keep Sorokin Me Babe

Hit em with the four like
Jun 18, 2016
It'll be interesting to see Kucherov's new cap hit, he's a better player than Stammer but maybe Yzerman still wants to keep his captain the highest paid player on the team

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I'm not saying there isn't issues. I'm saying that in the past we've played like this and in the snap of a finger it's fixed. If history repeats itself then it's time to stop blaming Cooper for everything. When I say he does nothing I mean his adjustments are minimal.

Or 3 they're lazy as ****. Matt it's very simple. This team goes on cold streaks and hot streaks at the drop of a hat and every time something doesn't work we cry at the top of lungs that the system is broken. Yet somehow last year ALL of our problems were instantaneously resolved by AHL players and Coop literally did NOTHING different. And 2 years ago it's the same thing. We limp into the 2016 on the heels of Drouin demanding a trade after being sent to the minors and suddenly we're playing like champions. We botch the Western Canada road trip, team meeting. Win streak. We slow down... team meeting. Win streak. It had NOTHING to do with Cooper!

He didn't tweak our entries. He didn't use the 1-3-1 with a lead any less. He didn't micromanage any more or less during scoring slumps than he normally does and nor he change his demeanor on the bench. This is why I say he does nothing. He's stuck with his guns.

We've seen it happen TWICE now. And you and everyone else are freaking the **** out that I'm not burning him in effigy because right now I'm waiting a few weeks to see if the team pulls itself together and goes on a tear through the rest of the NHL and suddenly Cooper's broken ass system works again as if by magic. And in the meantime he'll have made no adjustments same as always.

Winning is always effort dependent. If the coach deserved to be fired every time a team didn't play its best then we'd have fired 10 coaches between Boucher and now.

You're describing a coaching problem and you don't even know it.

Reactions: MattM92

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad