GDT: 10/7/17 - 7:00PM EDT - Tampa Bay @ Florida

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
We've got a lot of work to do. Coop's got about a dozen games to really get our breakout working again before I join the party. We were badly dependent on Bishop. That's no secret. We'll have to adjust accordingly. But the lack of effort is same as usual. Makes me wonder what is said in the locker room or anything at all

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Playing like shit for 50 minutes and then finding some life and start putting pressure on the opponent. It's like I've seen this before somewhere.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
I'll take a bit of a bright side look - we have the talent to score quickly. That's something. Ummm... Oh and we got 2 points out of a back to back in which we had no business being in. So that's something.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
He doesn't have to. We saw success in 2016 when the players themselves took control of the season with players only meetings. That entire year had nothing to do with coaching and everything to do with effort and being ravaged by injuries for 2 months straight.

If he can't keep them motivated for a full year, find someone who can.

Again: We have three of the top-20 players in the world. Often on the ice at the same time. And they can't seem to break out of their own zone.

I'm just not sure what you think coaches do. Because apparently everything is on the players.

I'm seeing the exact same slow transitions. The same regrouping and re-regrouping. I'm seeing us struggle to get through the neutral zone.

On paper, we're a better team than we were in 2015.

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
Playing like **** for 50 minutes and then finding some life and start putting pressure on the opponent. It's like I've seen this before somewhere.
Latter days Boucher honestly. Play incredibly passive for 50 minutes - and then make it closer than it looks at the end.

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011

Again: We have three of the top-20 players in the world. Often on the ice at the same time. And they can't seem to break out of their own zone.

I'm just not sure what you think coaches do. Because apparently everything is on the players.

I'm seeing the exact same slow transitions. The same regrouping and re-regrouping. I'm seeing us struggle to get through the neutral zone.

This. Coaching is way more than line changes and rousing locker room speeches. The system sucks right now. We have scored most of our goals when we've pushed the pace out of the zone (all of the goals by the Point line for an example). But instead of making that a feature of the system, it's more of a bug. Every "set" breakout is the same. Someone collects the puck, reverses it to the D, who reverses it to the other D, who then either skates behind the net if the forecheck peels off or passes it up to the winger. If they skate behind the D, they try a long stretch pass.

It's so mindnumbing. And our forecheck has gotten more cautious as well. We are not pressuring puck carriers.

Reactions: Sky04

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay

It was a matter of effort on the ice the last few years. No matter what anyone says I'm not gonna be convinced Cooper somehow almost destroyed our 2015-2016 season by doing little differently other than doubling down on defense for 2 months when half our lineup was hurt. And yet 7 and 9 game win streaks resulted from player only meetings. Suddenly we started playing a full 60 minutes and gave a shit. I mean was Cooper suddenly coaching better? I don't really think so man. I think he got a lot of unneeded flack that year. We don't need to review last year I've spoken on it enough.

But for now I place our fixes on the coaching staff. We were GRAVELY dependent on Bishop for our zone exits and I expected a learning curve. Make no mistake I'm not happy. But I'll wait a little longer to see how we respond with Stamkos in the room for the first time in 11 months before grabbing the ax. We're basically re-inventing the wheel here without Bishop. I expected this amount of struggle in our breakout. And even though breakout has been an issue for years now we could visually see these guys half assing it out there in years past.

I agree with what you said about being a better team on paper. But like I said I wanna see if the players pick themselves up. If they don't I know they'll have truly quit.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
How Yzerman didn't fire him that night is something I will never understand.

It was so shockingly bad that every single one of us still remembers a nothing shift, like three years later.

But Coop just constantly out-thinks himself. He's trying to coach the team he wishes we were rather than the team we actually are.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
It was a matter of effort on the ice the last few years. No matter what anyone says I'm not gonna be convinced Cooper somehow almost destroyed our 2015-2016 season by doing little differently other than doubling down on defense for 2 months when half our lineup was hurt. And yet 7 and 9 game win streaks resulted from player only meetings. Suddenly we started playing a full 60 minutes and gave a ****. I mean was Cooper suddenly coaching better? I don't really think so man. I think he got a lot of unneeded flack that year. We don't need to review last year I've spoken on it enough.

But for now I place our fixes on the coaching staff. We were GRAVELY dependent on Bishop for our zone exits and I expected a learning curve. Make no mistake I'm not happy. But I'll wait a little longer to see how we respond with Stamkos in the room for the first time in 11 months before grabbing the ax. We're basically re-inventing the wheel here without Bishop. I expected this amount of struggle in our breakout. And even though breakout has been an issue for years now we could visually see these guys half assing it out there.

I agree with what you said about being a better team on paper. But like I said I wanna see if the players pick themselves up. If they don't I know they'll have truly quit.

Seriously. What do you think coaches are actually responsible for? Because if "getting effort out of players" isn't top five on your list, I think your list is bad.

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
Same issues three straight seasons with breakouts, and somehow it's not Cooper. Okay buddy.

You're worse than Nick with Callahan.

Reactions: Sky04

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Same issues three straight seasons with breakouts, and somehow it's not Cooper. Okay buddy.

You're worse than Nick with Callahan.

Waiting to see if the team picks itself up like in 2015-2016 makes me worse than Nick with Callahan? Just how much credit did Coop get for those 7 and 9 game win streaks when our breakout suddenly figured itself out literally overnight? Was Cooper in those player only meetings?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad