cSWZTbg.png

1Iz6ofA.png

uzKh5CU.png

1Dzt4qF.png

4nP8vlK.png

n9ZQoCX.png

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Wasn't too impressed with Kunitz last night. He had a couple of hits but that line didn't generate much, don't think Brown would change that but I'd give him a look and rest the old legs. On the backend we need more puck movement and someone else to carry the puck. Sustr wasn't to blame on any of the goals but with Girardi being a shot blocking PK monster Sustr isn't necessary right now and we could use Koekkoek's skills.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Last night was pretty rough in terms of getting the ball rolling but we got the job done. I hate to complain about too much but the Lightning desperately needs to improve their coverage in front of the net. Huberdeau was in the crease all night long with no one doing a thing about it. And to absolutely no surprise he deflected a long shot from Dadonov into the net. I was getting flashbacks of Kreider in the NYR series.

PS- I do find it humorous that in two separate goals there were at least 3 or 4 Panthers converging on Stamkos or rather just giving their attention to him. That little feed to Namestnikov could be our bread and butter on the power play this year. I don't understand why more players don't just park themselves there. Crosby has literally made a living standing at the side of the net and I'd wager that he has probably scored somewhere between 40 and 60 of his 116 career power play goals from that spot.

Brie

bearer of bad news
Jul 5, 2014
Last night was far from perfect but it's still something to build on so let's hope the team does that.

Curies to see the lineup though I think we won't it know until closer to the game.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Last night was far from perfect but it's still something to build on so let's hope the team does that.

Curies to see the lineup though I think we won't it know until closer to the game.

I'm hoping to see Koekkoek and/or Dotchin. If Coop wanted to roll 11/7 tonight I would not be opposed to it.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Sustr deserves to be scratched after last night. Giving Dotchin a chance should be a no-brainer.

Sure, if you need to blame someone for the goals even though non were directly on him. Dotchin doesn't deserve a chance, Koekkoek does. With Girardi, Coburn and now Stralman playing defense first we need a puck mover in the lineup.

Brie

bearer of bad news
Jul 5, 2014
Hmm, I read on instagram that someone commented that the rule that Dotchin broke was that he had been riding a motorcycle. I’m not sure if it’s true or anything but it could be. I‘m not sure how NHL contracts look but I do know with like actors they are given a list of things they are not allowed to do while under contract (like driving a motorcycle, go skydiving etc.) and if NHL contracts have a similar thing then even if it may not seem like a big deal it could explain why Dotchin was punished so hard since it is a breach of contract and pretty serious. But I’m not fully sure if it’s true but someone posted that it’s what they heard.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Sure, if you need to blame someone for the goals even though non were directly on him. Dotchin doesn't deserve a chance, Koekkoek does. With Girardi, Coburn and now Stralman playing defense first we need a puck mover in the lineup.
I don't think Sustr was alone responsible for any of the goals scored on us although he was really soft in front of the net on Pysyk's goal. But he did make some very bad plays in our own zone. Our defense wasn't great but Sustr was clearly the worst defenseman out there.

Who would you sit for Koekkoek? Sergachev made one stupid play which led to a penalty but other than that it was a solid game for him. The other LD's are Hedman and Coburn who obviously aren't going to be scratched.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Sustr deserves to be scratched after last night. Giving Dotchin a chance should be a no-brainer.

I'm not holding my breath. Sustr was almost immediately promoted to top line with Hedman for the rest of the night. The only thing harder than watching him mess up on TV is seeing it happen in real life. That's when everything plays like like that scene in Saving Private Ryan where everything turns black and white, there's no sound and all you can see is disaster slowly unfolding at about half speed. Twice the guy tried to play the puck and it got us trapped into our zone. First to a player (I think it was Point on an outlet pass) but he was surrounded and there was an immediate turnover. Then at another time he punches the puck straight to a Panther defender at the blue line and I'm ready to pull my hair out. My favorite blunder was in the 1st period where he tried to leave the defensive zone too early and there's a turnover and suddenly he's backtracking and take a penalty.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
I'm not holding my breath. Sustr was almost immediately promoted to top line with Hedman for the rest of the night. The only thing harder than watching him mess up on TV is seeing it happen in real life. That's when everything plays like like that scene in Saving Private Ryan where everything turns black and white, there's no sound and all you can see is disaster slowly unfolding at about half speed. Twice the guy tried to play the puck and it got us trapped into our zone. First to a player (I think it was Point on an outlet pass) but he was surrounded and there was an immediate turnover. Then at another time he punches the puck straight to a Panther defender at the blue line and I'm ready to pull my hair out. My favorite blunder was in the 1st period where he tried to leave the defensive zone too early and there's a turnover and suddenly he's backtracking and take a penalty.
Sustr wasn't "promoted" - he was sheltered and Hedman was tasked with babysitting him. He only played 12 minutes.

Werewolf

Oct 29, 2013
Tampa
Sustr needs to sit. Coburn played on the right side for YEARS in Phily on their first pairing. Coburn on the right side > Sustr on the right side.

Hedman - Girardi
Sergachev - Stralman
Koekkoek - Coburn

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
Last night in pre game Stammer talked about the team was going to be more responsible defensively that was followed by was followed by Yzer talking about the same thing. Well last night they not successful as needed. At home opening night lets see if they settle down some tonight.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Sustr needs to sit. Coburn played on the right side for YEARS in Phily on their first pairing. Coburn on the right side > Sustr on the right side.

Hedman - Girardi
Sergachev - Stralman
Koekkoek - Coburn

This is what I would do tonight. See if Koekkoek can help with how weak we were on the breakout and with our zone entries. Florida controlled the flow of the game and outside of Hedman we didn't have a defender who put pressure on them which allowed them to forecheck is stronger. Sergachev was a bit to nonchalant with the puck and needs to be more aggressive.

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
Gotta think some players that were scratched last night will be in the line up tonight to have fresh legs. (Even though its the start of the season and everyone should be fresh)

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Sustr wasn't "promoted" - he was sheltered and Hedman was tasked with babysitting him. He only played 12 minutes.

That's how it ended if you want to consider 12:59 to be just 12 minutes. But keep in mind by the 3rd period when he WAS with Hedman it was against the the top 2 lines. Every time someone like Huberdeau stepped on the ice you'd see Sustr out there with the likes of Gourde and Dumont. I don't really consider that to be babysitting nor being sheltered. When he WAS sheltered it was when he was mercifully stapled to the bench and didn't see the ice again for the last 5 minutes of the game.

Regardless of our differing definitions my original statement was not meant to be an endorsement. I DID NOT like seeing him out there with Hedman -especially not when both men somehow couldn't muscle Huberdeau out of the crease in front of Vasy.

If Sustr was scratched tonight I'd be happy

TeslaCoilFan

Slightly Elite Fan
Mar 17, 2017
West of the Moon
I'll bet Sustr will be scratched in favor of Dotchin, with Koekkoek and Sergachev being rotated in and out of the pairings.

However, Coop really swapped D pairings around after the first few shifts. I think he's looking to see what chemistry there might be between a variety of pairings. Hedman and Strålman even had a bunch of shifts together throughout the game. The two of them still had the highest TOI with Heddy ending up a +1 with 24:01, and Stråls a fricking +4 with 21:56.

So I'm taking whatever pregame pairings are announced this evening with a huge grain of salt. :D

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
If Girardi is going to be your #1 PK guy on the right and you have Stralman as #2, you don't need Sustr. Dotchin can play his easy, sheltered minutes with Hedman making him look good. But we need either Sergachev to take off his training wheels and start playing or put Koekkoek in because our puck movement sucked.

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
If Girardi is going to be your #1 PK guy on the right and you have Stralman as #2, you don't need Sustr. Dotchin can play his easy, sheltered minutes with Hedman making him look good. But we need either Sergachev to take off his training wheels and start playing or put Koekkoek in because our puck movement sucked.

We don't need Sustr at all. Ever.

Dachshund > Giraffe

Stormbreaker

Apr 2, 2012
Hoping for a better showing from the Stamkos line. The Johnson line needs to show some actual chemistry.

OT: Is it just me or is Chrome really chugging on here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->