Value of: 1 week has passed since the deadline, how has your new acquisition(s) been?

Getzmonster

Jul 24, 2014
To be fair, they were brought in for their leadership and lockerroom presence, and so far we've seen two of the best games the team has played all season. Did they do that? I have no idea. If they keep playing this way I won't complain.

Was going to say something similar. On an individual basis, the new guys are just whatever, 4th line tinkering doesn't move the needle much. But given how the team has played with more urgency since the deadline, it's tough to say whether they are a factor in that or not.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Three games is all the sample size you need, just re-sign the guy already.

Interestingly, the thread title is “how has your new acquisition been in the week since you got him?” I simply responded how our new acquisition has been in the week since we got him.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
Leipsic = Very good, more skilled than I expected
Motte = Good, more aggressive than I expected
Jokinen = Has not played yet, first game tonight. Acquisition makes more sense with Eriksson out for the year (plus Baertschi as of last game)

Uberpecker

Mar 3, 2011
Interestingly, the thread title is “how has your new acquisition been in the week since you got him?” I simply responded how our new acquisition has been in the week since we got him.
Relax, it was supposed to be a friendly little jibe along the lines of Sabres getting the better pick if you re-sign him.
I'm usually not high on emojis, but next time I'll make sure to insert a :sarcasm: just for you. :)

Pay Carl

punished “venom” krejci
Jun 23, 2011
Vermont
Surprised to see 3 assists for Gionta. He seems to be trusted too.. he assisted on the GWG in OT Against MTL.

He has been a pleasant surprise in the two games, very responsible at both ends of the ice. One of his assists against the Penguins was really nice

WhoTagz

Jan 28, 2017
Pennsylvania
Spooner and Vladdy have been amazing and, I think O'gara has been great too really brings that net front protection they needed...

TropicalFruitGirl2

A Peachy Hockey Gal!
Feb 23, 2013
Minneapolis-St. Paul, MN
JT Miller from the Rangers to the Lightning:

Not only has Miller been contributing, but he is very quickly fitting into the TB playstyle. First game or two he did sorta look out of place a bit, but he is a smart player and apparently it only took a few practices and games for him to understand the up-tempo, no look, drop pass, quickly anticipate your linemate style of the Bolts.

Best part is, he really does bring a bit of everything to the table.....something Namestnikov, as good as he is, didn't quite do.
And this is coming from a big Namestnikov fan....I was singing his praises from BEFORE he became known as the "guy with Stamkos and Kucherov"
And for the record, I do miss having Names around. Did everything the Lightning wanted him to, never complained no matter what line he played on or how much ice time he got....and yes, he has talent of his own and can certainly do well even without Stammer and Kucherov (though that certainly didn't hurt!)

Anyways, Miller can score, set others up, play any forward position, and with a bit more size, can check very well and play the grinding game if need be.
He doesn't seem to quite have Namestnikov's speed, but given the other things he brings, I can live with it.

Ryan McDonagh, who came along with him, is still out, so nothing to report yet.
But seeing as how TB's overall defense still seems a bit "loose", for lack of a better term, I can't wait to have him on the blue line already!

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
Soshnikov - Waited for visa, played a couple games, got sick, got hurt
Foley - Getting ready for spring break after mid-terms

Reactions: Deam78

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Vanek.... on the other hand. If I had to rate him on a scale of 1-10, he’s been a solid 1. He has been entirely invisible aside from his horrid defense, lazy backchecking, and go-to slapshot that has produced zilch. I really thought him and Wennberg would find chemistry immediately.. but they haven’t. I’m hoping he starts to play the way he is still capable of playin but I’m not holding my breath..

Had no idea what to put the prefix as so I just put “value of” btw.

You never know what you're going to get in Vannek. On some teams he fits and looks like a legit top 6 forward and on other teams he looks like an AHL scrub. Confusing as hell.

Paulinvancouver

Gas station in Carbondale did not have fresh yams!
Dec 19, 2015
Leipsic has actually looked quite good. Showing flashes of speed, skill and aggression. No finish, just has not been able to put it all together, it he’s been given every chance.

Motte is... playing too.

And jokiness is starting tonight I think.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Evander Kane has been quite good. 5 points in three games playing with Pavelski and Donskoi. Been our only good line, really.

When I was watching the Oilers/Sharks the color guy (Sportsnet, i think) said that Pavelski personally vouched for Kane. So I'm kinda expecting the Sharks to resign him. Given his skill set and age he could be a solid player for a long time there.

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
Brandon Davidson scored a goal the other night.
He's been pretty good so far even though the team has faulted.
Chris Wagner is a poor mans Clutterbuck. He's just OK.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
I like Wagner and Davidson, they are bottom role players but we could have used this months ago.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
yes very, not as dumb or slow as i thought he would be.

What's dumb is what teams have asked out of Phaneuf over the years.
He had a couple of seasons where he was a flash in a pan and looked like a scary #1 d-man but that didn't last.
Then he signed a huge bloated contract and was traded away and everywhere he went people were looking at how much $$$ he was making and thinking that meant that he should be producing like a top 10 d-man in the league.

I think Phaneuf has been a solid #2/#3 man for most of his career and if you slot him there in the line-up you're probably not going to have many problems. In Toronto that wasn't an option.

FinnLightning26

Death and no taxes
Sep 16, 2007
Lapland
I've read reports that McDonagh's press box game is something else. A generational popcorn eater some would say.

I've liked what I've seen from Miller so far. Has made a couple of great passes that turned into goals. Also like the physical edge he brings to the team since most of our players are small on NHL standards.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Aberg has looked decent. No goals yet but he’s had some looks and picked up an assist. Once he gets settled here he could be a player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad