Post-Game Talk: 08-Feb-2014 OTT @ BOS

arglebargle

Feb 27, 2008
1st goal - Karlsson jumps up trying to pick off a pass through the neutral zone. Eriksson hurriedly shovels the puck over to Bergeron, who Michalek failed to come up and cover. Bergeron passes it off to Soderberg, who's given way too much room by Cowen. Soderberg passes it back to Bergeron who skated right by Michalek to the net. Bergeron fumbles the puck a bit but he was left more than enough space to recover and shoot it past Anderson.

2nd goal - Ceci tries to hold the puck in at the Bruins blue line, but the Bruins break it out. Neil covers his guy (Kelly) through the neutral zone, but loses focus after his own blue line. Kelly breaks to the net and makes a nice tip for the goal. Smith is 10 feet behind the play. Kassian is 60 feet behind the play. The blame for this one lies with the Kassian - Smith - Neil line and their inability to cover anyone.

3rd goal - Neil comes all the way across the ice to go after the puck carrier. Zack Smith coasts along about 15 ft from the boards and watches the pass go straight to Bergeron in the high slot. Not much anyone else can do but watch as Smith's guy Bergeron skates to the net and scores.

4th goal - This one's 100% on Jared Cowen. Cowen follows Lucic around the net all the way out to the top of the circle. Then he coasts back and stops at the hash mark for some reason while watching the puck. He realizes too late that he's actually supposed to be covering Iginla in front of the net.

5th goal - Cowen makes a lazy backhand pass to Turris without really looking. It is easily picked off, and the Bruins make a nifty passing play for the goal.

6th goal - This one comes off a 2 on 2 rush. Reilly Smith carries the puck up Cowen's side. Cowen covers Marchand in the middle of the ice, despite Karlsson being right there. Cowen weaves back over to Reilly, but at this point Reilly's basically past him and passes the puck around Cowen to Marchand for the goal.

7th goal - Everyone's just coasting around at this point. Hard to blame anyone in particular for it.

Cliff's Notes:

1. Most of the players on this team watch the puck too much and aren't aware enough of the movements of their non-puck carrying opponents.

2. Jared Cowen doesn't know what he's doing.

General Zodd

May 6, 2013
Toronto
1st goal - Karlsson jumps up trying to pick off a pass through the neutral zone. Eriksson hurriedly shovels the puck over to Bergeron, who Michalek failed to come up and cover. Bergeron passes it off to Soderberg, who's given way too much room by Cowen. Soderberg passes it back to Bergeron who skated right by Michalek to the net. Bergeron fumbles the puck a bit but he was left more than enough space to recover and shoot it past Anderson.

2nd goal - Ceci tries to hold the puck in at the Bruins blue line, but the Bruins break it out. Neil covers his guy (Kelly) through the neutral zone, but loses focus after his own blue line. Kelly breaks to the net and makes a nice tip for the goal. Smith is 10 feet behind the play. Kassian is 60 feet behind the play. The blame for this one lies with the Kassian - Smith - Neil line and their inability to cover anyone.

3rd goal - Neil comes all the way across the ice to go after the puck carrier. Zack Smith coasts along about 15 ft from the boards and watches the pass go straight to Bergeron in the high slot. Not much anyone else can do but watch as Smith's guy Bergeron skates to the net and scores.

4th goal - This one's 100% on Jared Cowen. Cowen follows Lucic around the net all the way out to the top of the circle. Then he coasts back and stops at the hash mark for some reason while watching the puck. He realizes too late that he's actually supposed to be covering Iginla in front of the net.

5th goal - Cowen makes a lazy backhand pass to Turris without really looking. It is easily picked off, and the Bruins make a nifty passing play for the goal.

6th goal - This one comes off a 2 on 2 rush. Reilly Smith carries the puck up Cowen's side. Cowen covers Marchand in the middle of the ice, despite Karlsson being right there. Cowen weaves back over to Reilly, but at this point Reilly's basically past him and passes the puck around Cowen to Marchand for the goal.

7th goal - Everyone's just coasting around at this point. Hard to blame anyone in particular for it.

Cliff's Notes:

1. Most of the players on this team watch the puck too much and aren't aware enough of the movements of their non-puck carrying opponents.

2. Jared Cowen doesn't know what he's doing.

So what I think you are trying to say is that Cowan kinda sucks right?

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
I am never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never ever watching another afternoon game AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

**** afternoon games
Afternoon games suck
Afternoon games should go away

#FireAfternoonGames

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I am never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never ever watching another afternoon game AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

**** afternoon games
Afternoon games suck

#FireAfternoonGames

......if Taylor Swift was a hockey fan, that would be her next song. :help:

Swisssen

Jan 23, 2010
Zurich
Well, the bruins were just so much better.

Awful play by our D, Andy had not a great game, but he is not to blame on that loss.
It`s weird, this team can play so awesome, but they can also have games where they look dead. We Need a consistent team after the Olympics, hope some guys can recover.

TonySoprano11

It's a very delicate situation.
Apr 8, 2006
Hayden, ID
Anyone know what happened to the game today? I thought it was at 3pm but when I turned it on all I saw were a bunch of clowns.

DeVoice

Jan 26, 2012
Sarnia
big deal every team has a blow out its what they do after it that counts. no effort from a team that needs a rest.

WhiteLight*

......if Taylor Swift was a hockey fan, that would be her next song. :help:

hqdefault.jpg

Fullscreen_capture_9132009_54920_PM.bmp.jpg

Taylor_Swift_Maple_Leafs_by_tearsintotime.jpg

tswift.jpg

BUUf-uIEAAWMb7.jpg_large.jpg

swift-4.jpg

esdoorn

Nov 14, 2006
70 40

**** afternoon games
Afternoon games suck

#FireAfternoonGames

Afternoon games are not going anywhere. Cyril Leeder made it clear, afternoon games bring in lots of TV $$$$$$!

The guys on the team need to learn how to prepare for an afternoon game, plain and simple. Other teams do it and the Sens have had enough afternoon games this year to be ready.

This is all on the players and/or the coach and hockey operating staff for not having the team ready to play while other teams are!

Hossa18

Jan 20, 2008
I'm just going to continue to say Jared Cowen is god awful. No feet + No IQ.

Besides that, it was a bad game, but I won't look too much into it collectively.... besides the utter mess that is Jared Cowen.

I laugh and then cry every time Cowen ice's the puck trying to make a pass which happens about 5 times a game. Reminds me a lot of S. Hill when he used to play for us. Still don't know why he is playing on the top pair.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
So what I think you are trying to say is that Cowan kinda sucks right?

I honestly wonder at times if he is actually 'slow' basic decisions a normal person would know to make he just does not. The iginla goal made me think this, I mean he was alone for so long why did it take Cowen that long to know to cover him. You can see when he finally realizes and attempts to go over there.

Did anyone see when the sens were short handed and he thought it would be a good idea to jump into the rush? Why on earth would he come to the conclusion that is a good idea? Was it because he thinks he has any offensive skill at all? I mean he must right? But why does he think this is? This what I am trying to figure out. The guy can barely control the puck let alone jump into the play and outskill the other team while already being a man down. Anyways it ended up being a 3- on 1 back the other way on Karlsson. Boston didn't score but I had to rewind the play just to understand what happened I couldn't fathom why short handed we would have a 3 on 1 against.

The thing that really gets me when I think about Jared Cowen is that he had the audacity to actually hold out.... How selfish/stupid is this player? He has barely played any hockey since he was 16, you would think he would actually want to develop this asset that is his body and mind so that he can get paid later.

Now I am not saying that Jared Cowen is the only reason this team struggles, there are many reasons but I just don't understand why they play him so much its horrifying as a fan to watch him puck watch all over the ice.

He needs to develop somehow and now its too late to send him to Binghamton, I really don't know what they can do with him but he is killing this team.

I firmly believe this teams lack of consistency comes from the leadership group and the inability for the coach and players to hold one another accountable because this teams best players are the laziest. A change in culture is needed, someone needs to come into the room and make examples of lazy plays/players and non preparation.

A player like Ryan Callahan is exactly what they need. They also need to move a core piece of the leadership group so the players know no one is safe.

Topside

Jul 2, 2009
Afternoon games are not going anywhere. Cyril Leeder made it clear, afternoon games bring in lots of TV $$$$$$!

The guys on the team need to learn how to prepare for an afternoon game, plain and simple. Other teams do it and the Sens have had enough afternoon games this year to be ready.

This is all on the players and/or the coach and hockey operating staff for not having the team ready to play while other teams are!

Well when the team misses the playoffs because they went 1-69-4 in afternoon games how much money does the team lose? Penny wise pound foolish, imo.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
I really do feel as though Gryba has passed him on the depth chart.

Being big is great and all, and that's clearly what management is clinging on to, but Cowen's decision making is painfully slow at times. You can tell he's trying his best, but I think he just isn't all that smart. His hockey IQ is lacking.

The number of times I see him look up to the heavens while standing in our crease or side of the net after the opposition has scored a goal is because he has failed to cover his man or reacted too slowly to the pass.. frustrating. I bet you he screens Andy a lot while lingering without clearing the front of the net.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
How come everyone gave Karlsson such a long leash when he was absolutely atrocious defensively in his first couple of seasons? Was it because he was so flashy?

If Karlsson continues to be as bad defensively his legacy will be cemented exactly the way it has been for Jason Spezza. Very flashy offensively but nothing more than that and that will leave a lot to be desired from fans.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
karlsson was very good defensively at the beginning of the season before that dirty excuse for a hockey player injured him.

he gets a well deserved extension on his leash because of that

arglebargle

Feb 27, 2008
How come everyone gave Karlsson such a long leash when he was absolutely atrocious defensively in his first couple of seasons? Was it because he was so flashy?

If Karlsson continues to be as bad defensively his legacy will be cemented exactly the way it has been for Jason Spezza. Very flashy offensively but nothing more than that and that will leave a lot to be desired from fans.

Karlsson has made plays since he got here. Cowen makes almost none. He's supposed to be the big guy that shuts down rushes and helps keep the crease/slot clear but he's terrible at both of those things.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
karlsson was very good defensively at the beginning of the season before that dirty excuse for a hockey player injured him.

he gets a well deserved extension on his leash because of that

Plus he drives the offense, Cowen doesn't do anything close to the sort.

arglebargle

Feb 27, 2008
He wasn't drafted to drive the offense.

Let me get your question straight. You want to know why Karlsson got a big leash for playing badly defensively while he helped the team score a bunch of goals, and Cowen doesn't get a big leash when he is just terrible defensively?

Karlsson has been an excellent passer, a great goalscorer for a D-man, and great on the PP. He's been like that basically since his rookie season. Cowen offers almost nothing offensively, and you're asking why people have no patience for it when he sucks defensively?

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
Let me get your question straight. You want to know why Karlsson got a big leash for playing badly defensively while he helped the team score a bunch of goals, and Cowen doesn't get a big leash when he is just terrible defensively?

Karlsson has been an excellent passer, a great goalscorer for a D-man, and great on the PP. He's been like that basically since his rookie season. Cowen offers almost nothing offensively, and you're asking why people have no patience for it when he sucks defensively?

Cowen has had a couple months of bad play at the beginning of the season, I admit that but everyone on here rips him to shreds because a couple months signifies the guys entire career somehow and that he should be traded.

He is young, missed training camp and is coming off a major injury. You make it sound like he is playing so terribly yet his plus minus is pretty respectable for a guy his age despite everything listed and playing with Karlsson. He sucked last game that's for sure but Karlsson wasn't that much better.

Spezza is the whipping boy because he is terrible defensively but elite offensively yet Karlsson is an untouchable god despite being the same thing that Spezza is except on defense

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad