Post-Game Talk: 08-Feb-2014 OTT @ BOS

mcnorth

Jun 28, 2011
i don't mind the Karlsson - Cowen pairing

it's for the future, and it's just growing pains that we'll have to deal with as long as necessary

It's maybe for the future, but it's also a necessity. Take a peek at the players and put together the pairings and you'r looking at Cowen-Ceci or Cowen-Gryba... and by default you go Cowen-EK. Until Cowen can carry a pairing, we can't have Methot and EK together again.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Well, all I can say is, the team really needs to figure out what the hell is going wrong with afternoon games. Not only are we throwing away valuable points, but there will be afternoon games in the playoffs as well, whenever we eventually get there. No team can afford to have any automatic losses in the playoffs.

Tampacuseforever

Nov 3, 2012
Was at the game, the worst effort I've seen in years. Besides Anderson and Lehner , the only players with noticeable effort were Conacher and Michalek. Picked a horrible game to go to .

I feel sorry for you having to pay to see that mess. Lack of effort from some of our vets is not exactly unusual.

Lehner

Jul 2, 2009
Ottawa
Haven't been happy with him all year. Does well when things go smoothly, but mostly fails when faced with adversity. Of course that isn't entirely on him but his in-game decisions are too often head-scratchers. Not sure what the solution to that is though.

Solution is get rid of the players he relies on, Phillips, Neil, Michalek.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
And Michalek is going to the Olympics but he showed so much effort unlike the rest who are going nowhere but vacation.

I didn't mind Kelly Hrudey on this broadcast, he didn't try to sugar coat this disaster but it didn't seem like it make his day unlike Healy and the rest.

Yup. Hhudey is a genuinely good guy. He, Friedman and Weekes are really the only ones on CBC that are worth listening to.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
How did Ryan, Spezza, and Karlsson play today ? These guys are hardly the problem Condra and Conacher play 8 to 12 minutes a night. :shakehead

They stunk, and no doubt your best players need to play to win. I just think that depth wise, those 3 guys don't do crap and they don't impress me in their limited roles. It's not NHL quality depth right now , if you're not going to score that's fine, but at least go out there and do something else then.

Da Costa does far more with his 8-12 minutes a night than those 3 players combined.

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
My post reflected the much too harsh criticism from posters such as you who spend too much time focusing on Phillips while ignoring the fact that players such as Cowen are a much bigger reason why we are so bad in our own zone on many nights. It's laughable how much heat Chris gets around here.
although true, and I'd love Phillips back, our D and team have been playing responsible D for quite a while in the recent month or two

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
@ian_mendes
If the Sens replicate this 12-6-4 record in final 22 games, I think they should make the playoffs.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Yes. he can only use the players he is given.

He has a lot of the right pieces available but keeps going back to the ones who aren't. He also insists on using lines/pairings that simply don't work. Those are glaring deficiencies in his coaching.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
How did Ryan, Spezza, and Karlsson play today ? These guys are hardly the problem Condra and Conacher play 8 to 12 minutes a night. :shakehead

Can't expect your best players to show up every night.

Also, Conacher/Condra/Greening have been part of the top 6 past 2 games now.

Conacher is only guy I can let this fly because he still tries his ****ing hardest and he is in his sophomore and has shown flashes of good play.

Condra is only good as an exclusive bottom 6. Greening has no place even on this bottom 6.

To be honest, I think we are just trying to nit-pick on players who are being forced to play roles they aren't supposed to.

This should go on Murray for net getting us help which in turn goes back to Melnyk who hasn't given him green light to get those assets.

Ryan is supposed to score consistently and he hasn't showed up. However he has been on a slump though but damn does his skating really hold him back from truly being effective.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
@ian_mendes
If the Sens replicate this 12-6-4 record in final 22 games, I think they should make the playoffs.

Obviously. But we need to make adjustments to retain a similar record down the stretch. Things will only get tougher once the Olympic break is over and teams battle for a playoff spot.

Ian should focus on the post-game show instead of offering such empty arguments.

Derivation

Jan 4, 2010
I haven't seen anyone really pinpoint how bad our defensive zone coverage was this afternoon. The Bruins were skating circles around us in our zone all 60 minutes. It looked like the alarm didn't go off for the team and Mac literally had to go door to door to wake the guys up 10 minutes before gametime.

Pretty pathetic effort granted our position in the standings, man against boy.

Really can't pinpoint any one particular player after a game like today, just a lousy team effort which has to fall on the leadership of this club.

Hopefully next season we have this afternoon games, because if we have the same core of players there seems to be a curse on these games and they can't figure out how to adjust their pregame routines to be ready for games before 7pm.

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
Cowen must've been really bad in the third when I stopped watching, because he wasn't playing bad at all in the first two relatively speaking.

Karlsson has been such a huge defensive liability this year it's embarrassing. It's not like he doesn't know how to play defense, he just doesn't put in the effort or flees the zone too quick. The perfect example was the Bergeron goal on Karlsson. He blows by EK and gets Andy to bite, but instead of giving a diving poke check or doing anything he just stands there and watches it go in.

It happens every game and someone needs to talk to him. Even last year when he was great defensively he had like 14 in 17 so it's not like his offensive game will suffer that much.

Senafan

May 17, 2013
These guys need to be locked in their hotel rooms on friday night or something...dont understand how they can be so horrible for nearly every single saturday afternoon game. Gahhhhh!

HockeySens

Feb 22, 2013
After games like this I try to convince myself that Karlsson hasnt been putting 100% effort because he doesnt want to get injured so that he can play in the olympics. Anything that lets me sleep at night I guess.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
After games like this I try to convince myself that Karlsson hasnt been putting 100% effort because he doesnt want to get injured so that he can play in the olympics. Anything that lets me sleep at night I guess.

If that is the case, wouldn't it cause additional insomnia? I'd be much more worried if his focus wasn't completely on the Senators' success.

blahblah3

Jan 8, 2010
Cowen must've been really bad in the third when I stopped watching, because he wasn't playing bad at all in the first two relatively speaking.

He was awful. Coach needs to scratch him, put in Corvo, and see what happens.

headup

Apr 7, 2008
You guys beat St Louis and St Louis beat us. Imho it was an effort thing, not a measure of your team. To me at least, it looked like zero effort form half the Sens team. At home in a must win, I'm sure you guys do better.

This keeps happening. They're a lazy team with a lazy captain. T

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
These guys need to be locked in their hotel rooms on friday night or something...dont understand how they can be so horrible for nearly every single saturday afternoon game. Gahhhhh!

They really need to figure things out. It's not rocket science.

Hell, I've done the split shift, second shift, and third shift now for a number of years. Yes, it takes a bit of preparation and adjustment to the body, but it isn't that hard. Other teams seem to be perfectly fine with afternoon games, evening games, late games, way worse travel than us....

The guys need to grow up. If it means missing out on a favorite tv show or not going out a few nights a week to prepare properly for a game, that's what you do. It's part of the job they're paid way too well for.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad