• 2018 Off-Season Thread •

Status
Not open for further replies.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
o_O

I'm talking about dealing him and 1 of Anderson or Jenner for Ryan O' Reilly.

Go watch a ROR highlight video and come back. And know at the very least he is just as good as Wennberg is defensively. IMO he is better because he plays with intensity that Wennberg does not play with.
If we go after RoR I want him as an addition to PLD/Wennberg, not a replacement for the latter. He is not enough of an upgrade to justify the massive salary increase IMO.

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
If we go after RoR I want him as an addition to PLD/Wennberg, not a replacement for the latter. He is not enough of an upgrade to justify the massive salary increase IMO.

I concur. If we trade Wennberg for ROR, our bottom-6 center depth is still atrocious.

You’d be lying if you said that you’re more comfortable with Dubois-ROR-Dubinsky as your top three centers over Dubois-ROR-Wennberg.

Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011

Yes. A C line-up of PLD-ROR-Wennberg-Dubi would be pretty strong.

If Buffalo retains 1.5 mill I think Jackets can make it work.

Probably have to trade Savard or Murray + a F ( Jenner, Bjorkstrand, Milano) and another prospect /pick. Price would be high but it would be worth it imo if Jarmo could pull it off.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Didnt he turn it up a bit after he changed sticks this year? Confidence was an issue yes but he took on a new curve (Same curve as Wennberg I think) not long before his play took off down the stretch. Was actually able to handle the puck a bit and recieve passes. I think he needs to remain a Jacket but not be paid as a top 6

I think Vanek had a lot to do with it also. That is why I think re-signing Vanek makes sense. Both Jenner & Wennberg seemed better after he joined.

Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
Jarmo Kekalainen , said on The Athletic: "Elvis was again amazing. Last year he had already great with Latvia, and this year he still played exceptionally. We will see how the situation will evolve, but we can not wait to have Merzlikins with us in Columbus ".

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
Yes. A C line-up of PLD-ROR-Wennberg-Dubi would be pretty strong.

If Buffalo retains 1.5 mill I think Jackets can make it work.

Probably have to trade Savard or Murray + a F ( Jenner, Bjorkstrand, Milano) and another prospect /pick. Price would be high but it would be worth it imo if Jarmo could pull it off.

I’d be ok with moving Savard in this case if Cole re-signs with us, but I’m not sure buffalo would have interest in him. It’s been said by Dreger/McKenzie/etc that they’re looking to add a defenseman in the same age as Eichel/Dahlin/Reinhart in any ROR package...not sure if we have one (other than Z, but that’s not happening) that fits the bill.

Savard + Jenner + 3rd Rd pick is in the ballpark, though.

Panarin-Dubois-Atkinson
Milano-ROR-Anderson
Foligno-Wennberg-Bjorkstrand
Sedlak-Dubinsky-Davidsson/xxx

Werenski-Jones
Murray-Nuti
Cole-Kukan
Carlsson/Harrington

Looks fine to me. Extend Panarin July 1st. Buy out Dubi next offseason. Let Abramov/Stenlund develop into full time NHLers for the following season and insert Gavrikov.

And trade Bob for a top-flight winger :sarcasm:

(This is just me thinking out loud, but if the Islanders do indeed convince JT to stay, I wonder if they'd be open to dealing Barzal for an extended Bob)

Last edited:
Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
(This is just me thinking out loud, but if the Islanders do indeed convince JT to stay, I wonder if they'd be open to dealing Barzal for an extended Bob)
If I was them, this would be my response:
Bizarro Viqsi said:
ha ha ha ha ha no. Not trading an up-and-coming probably-already-a-#1C for a goaltender. Goaltending may have been a challenge here, but it's generally easier to come by than that.

Reactions: JohnnyJacket13

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
Columbus "Blue Jackets" wants to maintain a positive relationship with Merzlikin's current club "Lugano". The NHL team has made a proposal to the Swiss unit to run a Latvian hockey player in North America before the end of the contract. Jarmo Kekalainen, general manager of Columbus Blue Jackets, is in talks with Lugano, but information on a sensitive topic is not yet outlined in the public space.
Kolumbusa grib Merzļikinu, vārtsargs atvaļinājumā tiekas ar aģentu | Sportazinas.com

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Assuming Jarmo prys him loose where does he play? Would he be willing to play in Cleveland? If he plays in Columbus then I think Jarmo holds off on Bob's deal to see what Elvis brings to the table. He plays great, Bob's leverage goes down. He doesn't then Bob's leverage goes way up.
Jarmo needs to handle this correctly or Jackets could wind up without a #1 G come 2019.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Assuming Jarmo prys him loose where does he play? Would he be willing to play in Cleveland? If he plays in Columbus then I think Jarmo holds off on Bob's deal to see what Elvis brings to the table. He plays great, Bob's leverage goes down. He doesn't then Bob's leverage goes way up.
Jarmo needs to handle this correctly or Jackets could wind up without a #1 G come 2019.

Especially if there are handshake agreements regarding his position in the org to convince him to come over this season.

And what does that leave for Joonas? Do they have a legit competition to be the backup? Korp has what, parts of three seasons in the NHL? Is he going to take kindly to playing in Cleveland behind a dude with no NA experience? But would Elvis be difficult if he ended up in Cleveland?

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
Korp has what, parts of three seasons in the NHL? Is he going to take kindly to playing in Cleveland behind a dude with no NA experience? But would Elvis be difficult if he ended up in Cleveland?
Korpi is no more waiver exempt, so no Cleveland for him, unless he clears waivers.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Seems like things are falling in place, and makes sense why they replaced Clark , when they did . If Jarmo has made an offer , you would think that Elvis has made it known , he wants to be here now , if this has occurred . My guess is Elvis, Korpi come to camp competing for the job, with a clean slate . I know some will Pile on, but I think they know they aren’t going to be in the ballpark for what they feel Bob should earn, and what he may be expecting to earn , and this allows them to be aggressive in their negotiations. Elvis was a one man show on that team, in the worlds . Imagine being able to take that 9-10 mill, and getting an elite type winger and more scoring depth. For a large part of the season this team struggled to score 2 goals.

hardkorejackets

Nov 6, 2013
Coldwater, OH
Portzline has been hinting that the Jackets might be interested in trading Korpisalo if Merzlikins were to come over. But, I think it could go either way in trading Bob or Korpi probably depending slightly on contract negotiations between Bob and front office.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Portzline has been hinting that the Jackets might be interested in trading Korpisalo if Merzlikins were to come over. But, I think it could go either way in trading Bob or Korpi probably depending slightly on contract negotiations between Bob and front office.

I suppose but I can't see Kory having much if any value. I could see someone claiming him off waivers, though.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
What are we gonna do with all those goalies!? :)

Hahaha I made a typo!

giphy.gif

;)

Last edited:
Reactions: JKinCLE

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
First of all Bob has a NMC so unless he consents to a trade it isn't happening. Plus it would be extremely ballsy, if not downright irresponsible, to go with an Elvis/Korpi tandem, even if freeing up Bob's cap hit meant we could sign Tavares.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
First of all Bob has a NMC so unless he consents to a trade it isn't happening. Plus it would be extremely ballsy, if not downright irresponsible, to go with an Elvis/Korpi tandem, even if freeing up Bob's cap hit meant we could sign Tavares.
Just a thought, Let’s say Jarmo comes to Bob this summer and says he wants to get discussions underway to see if they are remotely thinking the same thing . Jarmo points out that Bob was some of the worst stats of all active goalies in the nhl, during the playoffs , notes he will be turning 30, notes their are active cup winning goalies that make half of what Bob makes right now , and with the young core they have , Panarin needs signed , Werenski will need signed , etc , that they want him to take a pay cut to stay with the team. Bob is most likely thinking 9-10 mill a season . I could easily see him requesting a trade .

I’ve seen on twitter that Carter Hutton could be had at a pretty decent price , 3 m per season , there will always be good goalies available. Both Bob , and Lundquist both made jump straight to Nhl, maybe Jarmo thinks Elvis is ready to go now , and Korpi will be fixed by new goalie coach .

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
Lugano sporting director sounds pissed off. :) So maybe hold our horses with Bob departure?

He might still has to wait. Contract at Lugano is still running for a year and sporting director Roland Habisreutinger says: "There were no talks, no request and Elvis has no out clause. So that's not an issue at all. "And Merzlikins planned holidays in Las Vegas in January after the World Cup.
But would Lugano let the Latvians go if he prayed for the dissolution of the contract? "No, that's not an issue," says Habisreutinger.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad