• 2018 Off-Season Thread •

Status
Not open for further replies.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
I was just thinking about the cap situation and would it not make more sense to try to extend one of Bob or Panarin this offseason? That's just one more piece locked in that you don't have to worry about and at the same time giving you more time to figure out solutions to get everyone you want in under the cap.

I'd love if we could get both, but if I'm Jarmo I'm pushing hard to get at least one done before the season

Reactions: The Bread Man

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Some players have fire in their belly to compete. Ive yet to see an ounce of compete in Wennberg.

At this point I'm convinced that the people who keep repeating this are just obsessed with his not taking more shots. He does damn near everything else and does so consistently and well, but no shots so therefore he sucks now. I mean, honestly, it's getting absurd.

* * *​
I was just thinking about the cap situation and would it not make more sense to try to extend one of Bob or Panarin this offseason? That's just one more piece locked in that you don't have to worry about and at the same time giving you more time to figure out solutions to get everyone you want in under the cap.

I'd love if we could get both, but if I'm Jarmo I'm pushing hard to get at least one done before the season
Panarin, IMO yes. Bob, I think we might be able to hold off unless we can get a really really nice deal.

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
Lock in Panarin at all costs before the season starts. Give him a blank check for all I care. But I think it may be wise to explore all options available w/r/t Bob. Just don't give him a contract with a term more than 4 years please.

If he's put on the trade block, we could receive a king's ransom for him in either a package of high caliber prospects/picks/roster players that can be used to build up a top-5 pipeline and/or used to acquire better NHL talent at forward. Or even in a 1-for-1 hockey deal for a top flight forward.

Let's see how things play out over the next two months with Elvis, too, because I think that something is up and he'll come over to NA this year.

Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I think we need to lock up Panarin for sure and Bob almost sure as quickly as possible. Panarin I think we need to go 8 years for as little as possible but probably no less than 8.5 -9 realistically. Bob is a bit more debatable. I agree that term is probably more important than $. The shorter term the better. Going past 5 years gives me agita and above 9 mill does the same. I think they both work under the cap at around 9.

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
I know at some point money gets tight, but for the increased level of performance we would get with ROR over Pooh, it is worth trying to make it happen. ROR's faceoff percentage approaches 60%. Wennberg is about 42%. Over a season that percent increase in FO wins will mean a significant number of increased scoring opportunities in the Offensive zone, rather than losing faceoffs and having to scramble to recover the puck. ROR is also probably good for 20-25 goals. Wennberg probably 10-12. ROR is probably close to equal to Wennberg in defense. That 10-15 additional goals plus a 20% increase in FO wins would be a huge offensive boost, worth, in my view the increased price of ROR over Pooh. Also, with ROR as the "second line center" who can score in his own right, it could open things up for Bjork and Sonny as second line wings. Right now, we do not have a second line. ROR could make that difference in creating one. Is there any chance this will happen? No. I think Jarmo is too much in love with his first first round pick to honestly evaluate Wennberg's limitations.

And by the way, I read the article about PLD learning so much from ROR about FO's during the World's. Did anyone read the article about Pooh's new FO coach he is working with in the off-season? ................ I did not see one either.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
His instagram :) a quote? it's from his interview to latvian media after Lugano lost Game7. You will need google translate. :)
Merzļikins: Jūtu, ka man ir laiks krāmēt čemodānus | Sportazinas.com
This is awesome...

Merzlinkin acknowledged before the decisive games in a conversation with the magazine "Klubs" that this was a difficult season for him, but through the tests he became stronger. "It's been tough until the middle of the season. Everyone knows that I was intimidated. But my life changed. I did not expect people to change so much. I was very heavy. Even though my mother knew that it would end, because she knew me the best. The hockey is in my first place, but my girlfriend did not understand it. As soon as we broke up, it became easier to compete with the games. There was no problem outside of hockey. Now I'm happy to be able to change my style of play and be at the level where I am

Merzlink has a contract with the Lugano team for the next season, but Elvis does not hide that other options could be considered. Although the target for gold in Switzerland is not met, speculation about his move to North America is expected to reappear.
"After the World Championship, I will go to my agent in Los Angeles to talk about the future. This could be my breakthrough season. If not, then the next, because the contract in Switzerland guarantees another year.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
And by the way, I read the article about PLD learning so much from ROR about FO's during the World's. Did anyone read the article about Pooh's new FO coach he is working with in the off-season? ................ I did not see one either.

Right, because the saying is "You can believe everything you don't read isn't happening."

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Right, because the saying is "You can believe everything you don't read isn't happening."
Or wonder why Torts has been very vocal that he needs to shoot and try to score goals , and wonder why he doesn’t listen to coaching . And when the head coach chews him out on the bench for seeming to not care on a major defensive gaffe , he laughs it off and tells the coach to F off

Reactions: thebus88

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
[...] Pooh, [...] Pooh. [...] Pooh's

Or wonder why Torts has been very vocal that he needs to shoot and try to score goals , and wonder why he doesn’t listen to coaching . And when the head coach chews him out on the bench for seeming to not care on a major defensive gaffe , he laughs it off and tells the coach to F off

Okay, I seriously, honestly, do not comprehend this mindset. I just don't.

I mean, yeah, I can sometimes sort of get reiterating an unpopular opinion over and over when it's about someone or something being better than presumed, if only to stave off a propensity for pessimism - although that too can get overdone* and it's kind of a delicate thing. But for f***'s sake, this is the Jackets board. Optimism is not a thing here. What in the world are you accomplishing by beating folks over the head with your hatred of the same players again and again and again and again? Are you trying to cultivate misery and frustration?

*: RJ Umberger was not a third-liner, damnit ;)

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Switching topics... What about Boone? Last 2 years he's averaged 35 pts per. Made 2.9mm. I think his qualifying offer needs to be 10% higher? Call it 3.3. One year deal to improve? Longer term say 3-5 years at 3.5ish aav and hope he turns it up a notch? Try to trade him?
To me he should be better than he is. I think at somewhere south of 3.6mm and 3-5 years he is a good deal with upside. No NMC/NTC clause.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Switching topics... What about Boone? Last 2 years he's averaged 35 pts per. Made 2.9mm. I think his qualifying offer needs to be 10% higher? Call it 3.3. One year deal to improve? Longer term say 3-5 years at 3.5ish aav and hope he turns it up a notch? Try to trade him?
To me he should be better than he is. I think at somewhere south of 3.6mm and 3-5 years he is a good deal with upside. No NMC/NTC clause.
Didnt he turn it up a bit after he changed sticks this year? Confidence was an issue yes but he took on a new curve (Same curve as Wennberg I think) not long before his play took off down the stretch. Was actually able to handle the puck a bit and recieve passes. I think he needs to remain a Jacket but not be paid as a top 6

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
:owl:?
ROR is quite literally the "complete package". And it would give Dubois somebody to model his game after

:squint: :skeptic:

Pld has that drive, and desire. This is from a few days ago...

Dubois is also learning from his teammates on this national team, including things like how to win more face-offs.
"I'm still so young and there's a lot I can learn from these guys," he said. "Like Ryan O'Reilly, he's beating me 80% of the time in face-offs in practice, so if I can learn something from him there and add it to my game, it would help a lot."

:eek: :dunno:

That's the "seed".

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
I was just thinking about the cap situation and would it not make more sense to try to extend one of Bob or Panarin this offseason?

Panarin, yes.

Bob.......well......... nevermind.

hardkorejackets

Nov 6, 2013
Coldwater, OH

Boone's a tough one. To be honest, we have a fair amount of tough extensions.. I didn't fully realize that your QO has to be 10% higher, which doesn't greatly help with Murray/Boone. Boone's play elevated in the playoffs and when Vanek came on board and he scored slightly more goals, granted they weren't the prettiest goals. I think we've been through Boone's struggles each of the last couple of years for a few months it seems at a time. I didn't hear anything about a new stick... But, I think Boone would be better served in a 3rd line role for us. He has his limitations. That said, do we have any other forwards that we fully expect to be ready at the start of the season to take a NHL job, not that I would feel comfortable on banking on... My 2 options- In a trade does he return much to us at all? Personally, I think no more than 3.3 to 3.5 million for Boone. I'd probably stick to 2-3 years and re-assess if we still want him here when he comes up as a UFA next go around. Also, I'm more hesitant than others about handing out contracts at 5 years of length for players that I think have "peaked" in their development as a middle 6 forward that is lacking in speed/skill.

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
At this point I'm convinced that the people who keep repeating this are just obsessed with his not taking more shots. He does damn near everything else and does so consistently and well, but no shots so therefore he sucks now. I mean, honestly, it's getting absurd.

What about you being purposefully "ignorant" to the fact that Wennberg plays with less intensity than MAYBE 1 or 2 other forwards/players on the team.

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
. And when the head coach chews him out on the bench for seeming to not care on a major defensive gaffe , he laughs it off and tells the coach to F off

Okay, I seriously, honestly, do not comprehend this mindset. I just don't.

I forgot ALL ABOUT the "incident" on the bench. Not the type of reaction ANYBODY should want to see from Wennberg there.

If they can catch offsides that are 2cm off the blueline, you better believe somebody in the Org saw it, and either passed the info or showed the footage to Jarmo and JD.

Quite Jojo-esque if you ask me.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
What about you being purposefully "ignorant" to the fact that Wennberg plays with less intensity than MAYBE 1 or 2 other forwards/players on the team.
I refer you to my post #740 above.

Seriously, what the hell, people. How many damn players do we have to do this "when we nitpick him he's bad therefore HE SUCKS DUMP HIM oh wait he's good now on that other team THIS IS WHY WE SUCK" cycle with until y'all finally realize that YOU ARE GIVING UP TOO QUICKLY ON GOOD PLAYERS.
(and suffering from a severe case of grass-is-greener syndrome to boot...)

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Switching topics... What about Boone? Last 2 years he's averaged 35 pts per. Made 2.9mm. I think his qualifying offer needs to be 10% higher?
Missed this earlier...
It doesn't have to be. Per Qualifying Offer Calculator - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps
  • The qualifying offer is calculated from the players base salary (NHL salary minus signing bonus), and at minimum must meet the seasons minimum salary requirements:
    • 110% of the base salary if the base salary is less than or equal to $660,000
    • 105% of the base salary if the base salary is greater than $660,000 or less than $1,000,000. However, this qualifying offer cannot exceed $1,000,000.
    • 100% of the base salary if the base salary is equal to or greater than $1,000,000.
    • CBA Reference 10.2 (a) (ii)
Or, essentially, there's a $1m-or-existing-salary cap on QOs.

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
I refer you to my post #740 above.

Seriously, what the hell, people. How many damn players do we have to do this "when we nitpick him he's bad therefore HE SUCKS DUMP HIM oh wait he's good now on that other team THIS IS WHY WE SUCK" cycle with until y'all finally realize that YOU ARE GIVING UP TOO QUICKLY ON GOOD PLAYERS.
(and suffering from a severe case of grass-is-greener syndrome to boot...)

o_O

I'm talking about dealing him and 1 of Anderson or Jenner for Ryan O' Reilly.

Go watch a ROR highlight video and come back. And know at the very least he is just as good as Wennberg is defensively. IMO he is better because he plays with intensity that Wennberg does not play with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->