• 2018 Off-Season Thread •

Status
Not open for further replies.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
The Bread man might not like this. :D
Of course they will say this, at the minimum, this coach probably works with Bob this season, unless the negations go south and Bob request a trade. But make no mistake , this move was made because of Korpi, Elvis, and Tarasov . They think very highly of Korpi, so much so , they protected him in the expansion, and let Forsberg go in trade .

Reactions: thebus88

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Not the player, the poster, remember letting Clark go means Bob is gone. :)
Plus , that’s not what I’ve said. I’ve always said I don’t see them resigning him when his contract is up. There is no way you remotely keep your core together , waisting 10 mill at the goalie position . We just saw what OEL signed for , we got a steal in Jones , but don’t assume Werenski takes less or a similiar deal. Other players deals set the market. And with Bob being one of the worst goalies that’s active , in the playoffs , I don’t see them paying him 9-10 million. Just my opinion, but lots of moves seem to reflect a similiar thinking

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Of course they will say this, at the minimum, this coach probably works with Bob this season, unless the negations go south and Bob request a trade. But make no mistake , this move was made because of Korpi, Elvis, and Tarasov . They think very highly of Korpi, so much so , they protected him in the expansion, and let Forsberg go in trade .
Ahh, the classic deflection of "well, that public statement doesn't back my theory, therefore they're lying".

Reactions: hardkorejackets

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
I would say a single player who, if healthy, can almost singlehandedly secure the team a playoff spot is someone that team will try its best to keep...

Not to mention our past series have been against higher seeded Pittsburgh and Washington teams. Washington made Murray and is making Vasilevski look pretty bad too.

I think it's pretty obvious that the core is Jones, Panarin, Werenski, and Bobrovsky. Don't have a core center but are hoping PLD turns into one.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I would say a single player who, if healthy, can almost singlehandedly secure the team a playoff spot is someone that team will try its best to keep...

Not to mention our past series have been against higher seeded Pittsburgh and Washington teams. Washington made Murray and is making Vasilevski look pretty bad too.

I think it's pretty obvious that the core is Jones, Panarin, Werenski, and Bobrovsky. Don't have a core center but are hoping PLD turns into one.

I agree Jackets will try to re-sign Bob as long as it is a reasonable deal. What that is is the question. 5 years up to 9 mill with no NMC/NTC seems like it will work.

And if you think Vasilevsky has looked bad have you watched games 3 & (especially) 4? He stole Game 4 for the bolts.

Reactions: Cyclones Rock

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Tell me why a ROR+ Marcus Davidsson for Wennberg+ Anderson/Jenner+Milano doesn't work

Theo Von

gang gang buzz buzz
Nov 15, 2013
Tell me why a ROR+ Marcus Davidsson for Wennberg+ Anderson/Jenner+Milano doesn't work

I haven’t posted much at all since getting bounced by the Caps but I’ll post...

Let’s break this down.

Wennberg + Jenner/Anderson >>> ROR.

I’m a pretty big fan ROR’s game. One of the best faceoff takers ever since coming into the league.. and I think that you’ll see an increase in production, greatly if/when he leaves the Sabres behind but.... Wennberg obviously has more potential. I would trade Wennberg, alone for ROR but adding in Jenner/Anderson is an absolute no go. Not even close to fair value. Jarmo and JD would get absolutely hosed.

Milano > M. Davidsson

Sonny has already had a taste of NHL experience. Sure, Davidsson had a pretty stellar season in the SHL but I gotta go with Sonny on this one. The potential for both players is pretty much a wash to me. Both are highly skilled players with a very high ceiling.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009

The upgrade of RoR from Wennberg (it isn't THAT huge of an upgrade to begin with) isn't worth the subtraction of Anderson/Jenner's 15+ goals and Milano's 10+ goals.

I think Buffalo wants to move RoR for defensive help anyway.

Reactions: JohnnyJacket13

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
You have to give to get. I think both of you are underestimating how much better ROR is than Wennberg and overplaying how much more "potential" Wennberg supposedly has. ROR is quite literally the "complete package". Dude could "easily" score 20-25 more goals than Wennberg and not be any worse than him when it comes to "playmaking" or setting guys up. And it would give Dubois somebody to model his game after so Dubinsky couldn't hamper his development, so that's a plus.

Milano and M Davidsson are basically a wash. There's reasons though. "Change of scenery", NY/brother connection, NBC would love it. Because of salary and just how much better ROR is (IMO :eyeroll:) I think Anderson and Jenner are the best and/or "only" options. I don't think we can lose Savard or Murray. BUF could flip 1 of Jenner/Anderson, or 1 of their current forwards for a defenseman. You think BUF takes Wennberg straight up? Or you add a 2nd and call it a day?

Reminder that Wennberg is 3.5 years younger than ROR. NOT 5-6-7.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
One problem with the deal is if it is made the Jackets still only have 2 of the 3 C's they need to roll 3 lines.
I'd include Jenner but not Anderson
The Milano part I'm ok with because I've lost faith that Sonny can become strong enough to stick around long term.
Also ROR at 7.5mm for the next 5 years is a bit pricey. If Buffalo retained 20% it would be more palatable.
I'd rather sign Cole and see if Savard/Murray + Jenner + something could pry ROR loose.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
If the Wennberg-RoR gap is as significant as you're implying its going to cost more than a "wash" and Jenner/Anderson. Aka not worth it.

But it doesn't matter, like I said, they probably want defensive help for him.

Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

hardkorejackets

Nov 6, 2013
Coldwater, OH
Honestly, I'm not the biggest fan of Ryan O Reilly's contract as compared to Wennberg's I'd rather give Wennberg another year to see if he improves... Shoot, William Karlsson finally found his game at 25 years old, what's to say Wennberg can't improve a little bit at 24 years old. I'm not guaranteeing that he will, but maybe he finds a little bit of his game again and scores 45-50 points again.

Ryan O Reilly is 27 years old and signed under contract for another 5 years. Let's also keep in mind that Ryan is set to make 2.6 million more a year AAV more than Wennberg with a no movement clause. Also, one of the kickers- Ryan O Reilly's contract is pretty much "buyout proof". His money is due to him in the form of signing bonuses. We already have people that want to get rid of Dubinsky, Foligno's contract and talking about buying them out already or in a year.. We'd have to hope that Ryan doesn't have much declining play for the next 5 seasons until he is 32 years old then. Maybe, he does keep his level of play up that high.. But, at this time... I feel more comfortable with Wennberg in the future.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Let’s be real, Wennberg takes 1 shot per game, and averages 8 goals a season, he may not score as many goals in his career, as what Wild Bill has scored (I believe he’s at 52 g on season now ). Wennberg is not remotely close to the player ROR is . Until Wennberg actually shows he has some fire in his belly, and a compete level to get better, he’s noting more than a 3rd line center

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Let’s be real, Wennberg takes 1 shot per game, and averages 8 goals a season, he may not score as many goals in his career, as what Wild Bill has scored (I believe he’s at 52 g on season now ). Wennberg is not remotely close to the player ROR is . Until Wennberg actually shows he has some fire in his belly, and a compete level to get better, he’s noting more than a 3rd line center
lets be real, your posting has been pretty garbage and the 2 years prior to this Wennberg and Karlsson actually had damn near the same shots. You say coaching held Karlsson back but Wennberg gets that same coaching and its still his fault because he sucks. You just are never happy unless you are whining about something which is becoming a more common thing on this board by the month

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
lets be real, your posting has been pretty garbage and the 2 years prior to this Wennberg and Karlsson actually had damn near the same shots. You say coaching held Karlsson back but Wennberg gets that same coaching and its still his fault because he sucks. You just are never happy unless you are whining about something which is becoming a more common thing on this board by the month
And that disputes my point how ? Torts has told Wennberg to shoot for 2.5 years , he refuses to. I’m not disputing that Torts system isn’t holding back our forwards, but that has little do do with Wennbergs refusal to stick his nose in there and be aggressive with the puck, taking the puck to the net , and try to score goals . Anyone that’s trying to compare Karlsson getting 12 minutes per night , in a defensive checking role to Wennberg is being disingenuous . And yeah I’m sick of Mediocrity, and our fans being ok with it. Vegas is 1 game from the cup, the Cbj have never got out of the first round

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
And that disputes my point how ? Torts has told Wennberg to shoot for 2.5 years , he refuses to. I’m not disputing that Torts system isn’t holding back our forwards, but that has little do do with Wennbergs refusal to stick his nose in there and be aggressive with the puck, taking the puck to the net , and try to score goals . Anyone that’s trying to compare Karlsson getting 12 minutes per night , in a defensive checking role to Wennberg is being disingenuous . And yeah I’m sick of Mediocrity, and our fans being ok with it. Vegas is 1 game from the cup, the Cbj have never got out of the first round

You should take the summer off. Maybe you'll come back refreshed and able to enjoy the CBJ again.

hardkorejackets

Nov 6, 2013
Coldwater, OH

Just curious... What makes you say "that our fans are being ok with mediocrity"?

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Monk,There’s always the ignore button:naughty:. Perhaps you should worry about your own posting. I don’t hate on the jackets , and yes I’m rough on players that don’t perform. I’m highly opinionated , and won’t apoligize for it . One of The reasons this team has been so mediocre for so long is people / fans don’t demand a winner . It’s always an excuse . Bob sucks in the playoffs , it’s because it’s the penguins . Now it’s because he faced the Penguins and the Capitals . The jackets regress this year under Torts , and he has a huge part in them blowing a 2-0 lead , when that teams wins 88% of the time , and it’s “the youngest team in the Nhl, and injuries did us in . I’m tired of the cbj being the only franchise to not win a playoff round , and watching Vegas go to the cup in the first round . So yeah , there’s an ignore button if that bothers you :D

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
The CBJ beat up on mostly non playoff teams in their late season surge. They were quite frankly lucky to have made the post season. Which is good enough for management apologists on this board.

hardkorejackets

Nov 6, 2013
Coldwater, OH
Monk,There’s always the ignore button:naughty:. Perhaps you should worry about your own posting. I don’t hate on the jackets , and yes I’m rough on players that don’t perform. I’m highly opinionated , and won’t apoligize for it . One of The reasons this team has been so mediocre for so long is people / fans don’t demand a winner . It’s always an excuse . Bob sucks in the playoffs , it’s because it’s the penguins . Now it’s because he faced the Penguins and the Capitals . The jackets regress this year under Torts , and he has a huge part in them blowing a 2-0 lead , when that teams wins 88% of the time , and it’s “the youngest team in the Nhl, and injuries did us in . I’m tired of the cbj being the only franchise to not win a playoff round , and watching Vegas go to the cup in the first round . So yeah , there’s an ignore button if that bothers you :D

Eh, I know I don't come across as aggressive in making moves and I honestly am not completely sure what management should do this off-season in getting better, but I don't know if myself and others are the reason that we have been so mediocre for so long because "we don't demand a winner". I actually do root for the Blue Jackets to win hockey games, although I'm not near as fiery as others... I didn't realize that might be a problem for our mediocrity. I still drive 2 hrs and 15 minutes one way drive to attend 20 plus games a year and hope we win and make comments about where I think this team needs improvements during games and sometimes on here... Granted, I don't think I'm as strongly opinionated as others...

Yes, Bobrovsky struggled in the playoffs... But, I don't think Korpisalo is the answer necessarily either. We have a tough decision to make this year, and I'm not completely sold what management will do either way... Personally, I think management will try to resign Bobrovsky in 2019 to an extension as long as it's not Carey Price level. I'm still torn on the decision

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Shoot, William Karlsson finally found his game at 25 years old, what's to say Wennberg can't improve a little bit at 24 years old.
Obviously that doesn't count because Wennberg is still here and Karlsson isn't. And besides, Karlsson is only allowed to be cited for reasons why we suck, not reasons why things might not be as bad as we thought. That's the rule, y'know.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Obviously that doesn't count because Wennberg is still here and Karlsson isn't. And besides, Karlsson is only allowed to be cited for reasons why we suck, not reasons why things might not be as bad as we thought. That's the rule, y'know.
Viqsi, I've been consistent in my criticisms of Wennberg all season. Yes, I totally believe management better not be like some of our fans, dismissing Karlssons success, as a fluke or unsustainable. There are 2 factors for Karlssons success. One, hes playing in an open style, of speed, speed, and more speed. No more checking role for him, its use your speed to skate our opponent into mistakes, and capitalize. Vegas doesnt have the most talented team in the league, but they are probably the fastest team in the nhl, and Gallant lets them use, what they do best. The other, is flat out something to prove. Both him, and Jam used the summer with a message that they were going to show their former teams that they F'd up. They had something to prove, and used that motivation to fuel their games, to the next level.

Some players have fire in their belly to compete. Ive yet to see an ounce of compete in Wennberg. Hes still the player he was 2 years ago. A player only looking to make a pretty pass. Hes poor on faceoffs, and for 2 years has been called out in the press from Torts, and refuses to shoot the puck. Whats maddening is from all accounts he has the skillset needed, but what makes good players great, is that desire... and compete level. Pld has that drive, and desire. This is from a few days ago...

Dubois is also learning from his teammates on this national team, including things like how to win more face-offs.
"I'm still so young and there's a lot I can learn from these guys," he said. "Like Ryan O'Reilly, he's beating me 80% of the time in face-offs in practice, so if I can learn something from him there and add it to my game, it would help a lot."
As far as the offseason goes, face-offs, skating and puck protection will be at the top of his to-do list.
"There are things I think I'm good at, but I want to keep getting better at them, so I can be the best I can possibly be and just keep pushing myself," Dubois said. "There's more to learn and I have more to give."

Reactions: EDM and EspenK
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad