• 2018 Off-Season Thread •

Status
Not open for further replies.

Theo Von

gang gang buzz buzz
Nov 15, 2013
The 2018 off-season has begun.
Decisions/picks to be made, the future to be pondered.
Who do you trade? Who do you let walk? Who do you re-sign? Positions to be upgraded? Let’s talk.

Contract situations:

UFA —

• Jack Johnson (4.36 AAV)
• Matt Calvert (2.20 AAV)
• Ian Cole (2.10 AAV)
• Thomas Vanek (2.00 AAV)
• Mark Letestu (1.80 AAV)
• Taylor Chorney (800k AAV)
• Alex Broadhurst (650k AAV)
• Jeff Zatkoff (450k AAV)

RFA —

• Boone Jenner (2.90 AAV)
• Ryan Murray (2.83 AAV)
• Oliver Bjorkstrand (656k AAV)

——————————————

NHL draft picks:

1st round (18th overall)
2nd round
3rd round
6th round
7th round

Theo Von

gang gang buzz buzz
Nov 15, 2013
Keep the RFAs and let all the FAs walk.

Good decision to hold onto JJ and not play him. Any draft pick would have been nice in return.

Definitely get the notion that Jarmo isn’t going to sit on his hands and will for sure look to acquire a few draft picks. He loves his picks and as of right now, CBJ currently sit at 5 picks in the upcoming draft. In franchise history, the Jackets have only had one draft where they had just 5 picks or less (2016).

Neilstrong218

Mar 29, 2018

So the lowest the Boston/NYR first rounder can go is 22?
http://:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:/buluhidung/67/image.png
http://:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:/buluhidung/46/ground.png

EdwardG

Let's Dance!
Mar 17, 2009
Columbus
I'd let the UFAs go except possibly Cole.

I'd unload anyone not named Panarin or DuBois from the forward group to upgrade forward quality. That said, I'd rather not give up on younger skill guys like Bjork, Wennberg, Milano just to get rid of them, as it's hard to say who will break out. I'd keep Anderson. Dubi is probably untradeable. I like Foligno and Cam, but they are expendable if you can get around their movement clauses. Quality, quality, quality.

Boone depends on price... he's a grinder and little more and should be paid like it.

I'd like Murray back.

If Bob isn't resigning at a significant pay cut, it's time to start looking for your future goalie.

Theo Von

gang gang buzz buzz
Nov 15, 2013
I'd let the UFAs go except possibly Cole.

I'd unload anyone not named Panarin or DuBois from the forward group to upgrade forward quality. That said, I'd rather not give up on younger skill guys like Bjork, Wennberg, Milano just to get rid of them, as it's hard to say who will break out. I'd keep Anderson. Dubi is probably untradeable. I like Foligno and Cam, but they are expendable if you can get around their movement clauses. Quality, quality, quality.

Boone depends on price... he's a grinder and little more and should be paid like it.

I'd like Murray back.

If Bob isn't resigning at a significant pay cut, it's time to start looking for your future goalie.

I swear on everything, I went to franchise mode on NHL 18 and tried trading Dubi to every single team in the league for their lowest valued player... we’re talking 7th round picks from like the 2016 draft. And absolutely no team accepted a trade for Dubi lol. Every reply was like, “the value is there but the contract isn’t something we are in a position to take on”. :laugh:

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
All the UFAs can walk. (Sorry Calvs, but the numbers won't work. And he'll get overpaid by someone.)

Our D will look fairly different next season. As far as I see it:

Jones-Z
????-Savard
Murray-Nutivaara
Kukan/Carlsson

I could see Murray trade talk fire up again. JJ is obviously gone (Jarmo f***ed this one up. Should have taken a draft pick, any draft pick for him). Cole is a goner thanks to his choke job in the playoffs. Chorney, Harrington, and all the other chaff is gone/waiver fodder. Maybe Carlsson gets another look next year. Sign another vet (better than Cole).

Our RFAs will get marginal raises. I don't see any major dollars going to these dudes.

Get better forwards. Explore a Milano trade. We still need a top center.

Panarin-????-Atkinson
Jenner-Dubois-Anderson
????-Wennberg-Foligno
????-Dubinsky-Bjork
Sedlak/Hannikainen

Fantasy moves:

-Trade Bob
-Sign Tavares

Last edited:

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
Panarin-????-Atkinson
Jenner-Dubois-Anderson
????-Wennberg-Foligno
????-Dubinsky-Bjork
Sedlak/Hannikainen

Fantasy moves:

-Trade Bob
-Sign Tavares
So no one from Cle made a jump? Bjork on 4rth line? Why 1st line is broken up gain?

Panarin -PLD-Cam
Jenner-Wennberg-Bjork
Foligno-Stenlund/(2C trade )-Andersen
Shuffle of Milano Beerman Abramov Thurkauf Vegnault Fortier Robinson Sedlak and Dubinsky

Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
So no one from Cle made a jump? Bjork on 4rth line? Why 1st line is broken up gain?

Panarin -PLD-Cam
Jenner-Wennberg-Bjork
Foligno-Stenlund/(2C trade )-Andersen
Shuffle of Milano Beerman Abramov Thurkauf Vegnault Fortier Robinson Sedlak and Dubinsky

Do you not know what a question mark means? Could be a guy from Cleveland, could be a trade, could be a signing. I'd sure as hell break up the "top line" if we signed Tavares.

Also, those are obviously not lines set in stone. And I'd say 99% of the guys you listed in the "shuffle" are not ready for the NHL. Stenlund on the third line already? Nah

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
Do you not know what a question mark means? Could be a guy from Cleveland, could be a trade, could be a signing. I'd sure as hell break up the "top line" if we signed Tavares.

Also, those are obviously not lines set in stone. And I'd say 99% of the guys you listed in the "shuffle" are not ready for the NHL. Stenlund on the third line already? Nah
If you continue to treat those guys as "Not NHL ready " all the time, you will stuck with Dubinky Folignos Calvert and Vanek whole season. And that AHL team under Madden is dumbster fire. Let the young guys play. Pre-season will show us who's ready.

Reactions: MoeBartoli

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
At this point, I'm only sure of four personnel moves.

Letestu, Chorney and JJ.......bye bye

Dubinsky...............either buyout, bury in minors for a year (all but$1 million would count toward cap) or try to trade which would require parting with an asset(s)-players or picks or taking a bad contract in return. If he won't go to the minors (NMC) then sit him in the press box every game until he will. He can't be allowed to stay on anymore. He's lost it as a player and the team made their decision about his "leadership" abilities when they stripped him of his Asst. Captaincy. He's an anchor whose time is up with the CBJ.

Last edited:

Theo Von

gang gang buzz buzz
Nov 15, 2013
At this point, I'm only sure of four personnel moves.

Letestu, Chorney and JJ.......bye bye

Dubinsky...............either buyout, bury in minors for a year (all but$1 million would count toward cap) or try to trade which would require parting with an asset(s)-players or picks or taking a bad contract in return. If he won't go to the minors (NMC) then sit him in the press box every game until he will. He can't be allowed to stay on anymore. He's lost it as a player and the team made their decision about his "leadership" abilities when they stripped him of his Asst. Captaincy. He's an anchor whose time is up with the CBJ.

Dubinsky ever playing a season in the minors is about as likely to happen as JT signing with us.

No chance. Lol.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
I’m really upset with this series so I’m not sure what to think about the team moving forward.

I think you keep the RFAs, Calvert and Cole.

Wennberg is a 3C as much as it hurts to say it, if we want to be a contender we need a guy that will slot him in that role.

Need to figure out what to do with duby. I also would be content with getting rid of Foligno, many will disagree.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
But please don’t give me some bs how we played better than the Caps or we will be better next year with more experience. At the end of the day, we could have been swept, I never felt like we deserved to win any of the games we played. The Caps were a better team.. even if I think we are better 5v5. This just really sucks. I love this team but man it’s hard being a fan of a team that hasn’t had any real success.

Tavares would change this franchise, but we will never get him to the Bus.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Probably too early to do this but here are some thoughts I've been kicking around:

Keep Calvert over Jenner. He's a better Pker, had a better playoff and is probably cheaper to re-sign although Jenner is still a RFA.

Dump Dubi somehow. His buyout number is the same per year (1.95 per) whether he is bought out this year or next. I just can't see spending almost 6 mill on him next season.

Try to trade for a top 6 forward. Easier said than done but one is definitely needed. If Toronto loses to Boston maybe try to get Kadri. He's a dirt bag now but on the Jackets he'd be great. Maybe Savard plus a pick/prospect but I don't think Toronto needs picks/prospects.

Try to re-sign Bob for about the same $ or a very short term if he demands more $. Fact of the matter is without him we'll be back to arguing about tanking for a top draft pick, which history tell us, the Jackets can't even get that right. Nothing available on the UFA market as far as I can tell and I don't think anyone is going to trade their starting goalie to us.

Seriously evaluate Torts. I don't think he is the right guy to develop Milano, Bjork, Wennberg, Andy, et al. and his apparent disdain for coming up with an offensive system drivers me crazy. When I watch other teams I see guys going to the net to get rebounds, cycles that are designed to get passes out in front, varied zone entries, etc.

Get a new power play coach.

????

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
Seriously evaluate Torts. I don't think he is the right guy to develop Milano, Bjork, Wennberg, Andy, et al. and his apparent disdain for coming up with an offensive system drivers me crazy. When I watch other teams I see guys going to the net to get rebounds, cycles that are designed to get passes out in front, varied zone entries, etc.
John Davidson won't evaluate Torts even if he peed in his eyes, dude is in love with him.

Get a new power play coach.
Well, Larsen contract ended with final whistle tonight. Wanna bet he will get extension?

Theo Von

gang gang buzz buzz
Nov 15, 2013
Just a thought to throw out: What would you guys think of signing JVR?

Lw’er with amazing hands around the net.
If (99 percent we don’t move him) we move Foligno, JVR is your replacement. But I’m not so sure TOR views him as moveable.

Jackets Fan

Mar 28, 2014
Central Ohio
I would say he is very much overrated for what he brings since those skills do not make players around him better or even support others like Jenner.

Scores clutch goals and is a great penalty killer who’s dangerous shorthanded with his speed and tenacity.

Idk what you’re expecting out of a 4th liner here...

Reactions: CBJFan827
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad