• 2018 Off-Season Thread •

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
I'd guess Lugano would only give up on him if they'd get a replacement. The bad news on this is: There is a rule in Switzerland that you are only allowed to play with 4 players who are not Swiss, but if a foreigner spent a few years in the Swiss junior league this doesn't count. So Merzlikins is a great goalkeeper witouth needing a license for a foreigner and this is impossible to get now. Corey Schneider would probably be the only possible replacement. :D

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Lugano sporting director sounds pissed off. :) So maybe hold our horses with Bob departure?
I just got a "doubtful transfer" alert from elite prospects that said Elvis from Lugano to Columbus. They're usually pretty spot on. But I've never see them use the "doubtful transfer" heading before.

word is that Merzlikins has travelled to North America in order to make a decision about his future and that there is a chance to see him sign with the NHL's Columbus Blue Jackets.
However, as HC Lugano's team manager Roland Habisreutinger tells Blick, they do not plan on letting Merzlikins out of his valid contract: "There were no talks, no inquiry and Elvis does not have an NHL out clause. So this is not an issue at all." He also adds that they will not let him out of his deal even if he should ask for an early contract termination.

https://swisshockeynews.ch/index.ph...ikins-considering-to-make-the-jump-to-the-nhl

This is their source.

Last edited:

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
I just got a "doubtful rumor" alert from elite prospects that said Elvis from Lugano to Columbus. They're usually pretty spot on. But I've never see them use the "doubtful rumor" heading before.
Too bad we traded Bob already! Oh well. :)

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I didn’t , we had conversations then . Just noting your article about him being in LA , and then porty post tweet 5 hrs later :D
Given that Porty also mentions reaching out to Elvis's agent, I'm not all that shocked that his tweet came later. There's something to be said for getting confirmation and attempting to get additional info.

hardkorejackets

Nov 6, 2013
Coldwater, OH
First of all Bob has a NMC so unless he consents to a trade it isn't happening. Plus it would be extremely ballsy, if not downright irresponsible, to go with an Elvis/Korpi tandem, even if freeing up Bob's cap hit meant we could sign Tavares.

I'd also agree with ya here, which is why I've been hesitant on rolling with Korpi/Merzlikins off the bat. If Korpi doesn't develop any further, you have to roll with Elvis.. Maybe, Elvis is ready.. But, that's banking a lot on a goalie that we haven't seen at the NHL level. Yes, Merzlikins has played well in Lugano, the playoffs, and the World Championships which help my confidence slightly... The Swiss Leagues are still a different league than the NHL. Shoot, Anton Forsberg was outstanding at the AHL level for about 2-3 seasons, 25 years old, and still couldn't quite figure it out at the NHL level.

This explains why the answer was pretty much always "No, he's staying in Lugano another year" whenever we theorized about getting him over. Doesn't sound like Lugano would want to lose their starting goalie. Which, can you blame them? He's been a solid #1 goalie for them for about 4-5 years now, and was outstanding in the playoffs and World Championships. We can say buy out his contract, let them find a goalie, but I don't think they are too interested in that..

That being said- Kukan signed a deal with us, was sent to the AHL and still legally had a contract with an NHL only opt out clause, but never reported back to the Swiss Leagues even when the team wasn't too happy about it. But, this could still be pretty tricky overall. Not a done deal just yet.

Reactions: The Bread Man

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
Yes, Merzlikins has played well in Lugano, the playoffs, and the World Championships which help my confidence slightly...
I can tell you his "NHL flaws" without him seeing an NHL ice yet, that on the surface and need to be fixed.

Watch his positioning when there is play in the corner - he stands tall (big rink habit), you stand tall like that Crosby will score goals off your back like Kyle Korver throwing 3's.

He has a temper, he always fights a player near the crease, you can't do that, Varlamov used to do that, that's a distraction, bad habit.

He's so not used to redirections and tip ins, he actually was surprised by those "Preds" goals that were scored on him in game with Swedes. "They shoot again those goals never happen" Shoot Elvis, this is how they score in NHL right now.

Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

Theo Von

gang gang buzz buzz
Nov 15, 2013
I can tell you his "NHL flaws" without him seeing an NHL ice yet, that on the surface and need to be fixed.

Watch his positioning when there is play in the corner - he stands tall (big rink habit), you stand tall like that Crosby will score goals off your back like Kyle Korver throwing 3's.

He has a temper, he always fights a player near the crease, you can't do that, Varlamov used to do that, that's a distraction, bad habit.

He's so not used to redirections and tip ins, he actually was surprised by those "Preds" goals that were scored on him in game with Swedes. "They shoot again those goals never happen" Shoot Elvis, this is how they score in NHL right now.

So happy to hear that one of our fellow HFers is going to be the next goalie coach for the CBJ. Pumped for you man!

Theo Von

gang gang buzz buzz
Nov 15, 2013
How is your beard? growing?

2dhvf9y.jpg

punk_o_holic

Mar 1, 2002
N. Vancouver, B.C.
What would happen if Elvis banks on being a full time NHL player (not a bust that can't stick in the NHL) and just goes F it, I'm leaving for the NHL regardless of my contract. Or is there a rule between the NHL and Swiss league? Or maybe 1 more year in Swiss makes no difference to him so he won't ruin his relationship with the Swiss league just in case he plans to play there in the future. Would you guys care if he did that or you guys thought Kovalchuk was a scum when he went to the KHL when he was under contract so you wouldn't want Elvis doing the same?

BalticWarrior

Apr 28, 2012
Riga

Sweden scored only one goal that was redirected. That goal was impossible to predict, that wasnt your typical redirect-in-front-of-the-net goal. I doubt ANY goalie in the NHL would have made a save there.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
The "Bob Question" has no easy answers but must be answered soon.

The CBJ don't make the playoffs two out of the last three times that they have qualified without Bob. They can't win in the playoffs with him.

Sorta like women...."can't live with em can't live without em"

What's a Yarmo to do?

Reactions: CBJWennberg10

hardkorejackets

Nov 6, 2013
Coldwater, OH
What would happen if Elvis banks on being a full time NHL player (not a bust that can't stick in the NHL) and just goes F it, I'm leaving for the NHL regardless of my contract. Or is there a rule between the NHL and Swiss league? Or maybe 1 more year in Swiss makes no difference to him so he won't ruin his relationship with the Swiss league just in case he plans to play there in the future. Would you guys care if he did that or you guys thought Kovalchuk was a scum when he went to the KHL when he was under contract so you wouldn't want Elvis doing the same?

Honestly, I wouldn't care if he decided to honor his final year of his contract in the National League, though I prefer he didn't sign that 3 year extension. He signed the extension, so I would understand him staying there since he didn't even sign an NHL opt-out clause... But, if him, his agent, and Jackets figure out a way to get him out of his final year of his contract to play in the NHL/AHL, I'd prefer that more.

But, I'm curious what could happen if he decides to follow option 1 that you mention... I'm slightly confused with the transfer agreements and contracts between 2 different leagues

Like- 1. Dean Kukan supposedly had another year remaining in his National League Contract with an NHL opt out clause... He didn't make the NHL, but he refused to go back to Switzerland and decided to stay in Cleveland. His Swiss team wasn't too happy, but Dean was on record of saying "I don't want to go back." Obviously, he stayed here... But, I don't know if his National League Team gave up or not

2. Jonathan Davidsson also supposedly signed an extension with Djurgarden for another season that is supposed to run from 2018-2019, but the Jackets also signed him to an ELC this season and the plan is supposedly for him to play in North America this season. Curious if he has a NHL or AHL opt out clause?

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
2. Jonathan Davidsson also supposedly signed an extension with Djurgarden for another season that is supposed to run from 2018-2019, but the Jackets also signed him to an ELC this season and the plan is supposedly for him to play in North America this season. Curious if he has a NHL or AHL opt out clause?
SHL and NHL have an agreement. Basicially NHL contract>SHL contract. Once he signed to NHL, they pay $240K transfer fee to SIHA and it's a done deal.

Reactions: hardkorejackets

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
What would happen if Elvis banks on being a full time NHL player (not a bust that can't stick in the NHL) and just goes F it, I'm leaving for the NHL regardless of my contract. Or is there a rule between the NHL and Swiss league?

It's been said, the NHL has transfer-agreements with the Swedish league for example but not with the Swiss league. Not honoring his contract there would end in a ban. I don't know if the NHL would take over this ban (or if they are forced too) but he couldn't play for Latvia and I'm pretty sure he wouldn't risk that.

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
Blue Jackets close to new deal with assistant coach Brad Larsen; could Ian Clark stick around, too?
The Blue Jackets are closing in on a contract extension with assistant coach Brad Larsen, sources have told The Athletic. The annual compensation has been mostly settled, but the term is still being determined.
Yay! the future is bright for this team!

Speedy Sanderson

Jan 29, 2012
Yay! the future is bright for this team!
Looking forward to more of the same - difficulty getting the puck into the zone and setting-up the PP, low-percentage shots from the blueline, etc. The PP has been a joke for such a long time, and I'm not sure Larsen knows how to fix it.

Reactions: CBJSTH

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Looking forward to more of the same - difficulty getting the puck into the zone and setting-up the PP, low-percentage shots from the blueline, etc. The PP has been a joke for such a long time, and I'm not sure Larsen knows how to fix it.

Watching the SC games it seems to me the Jackets two biggest problems are getting the puck into the zone and then not moving the puck fast enough.
The Jackets stand around waiting for a seam to open up rather than passing quickly to create the open scheme.

And LOFT for a solid 2nd unit. Zach, Jones, Cam, Bread & PLD seem fine for the 1st.

Not sure about 2nd unit personnel.

Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Poor you. :) Here it goes his starter job in near future, no way Bob is not extended now.
Lol, how do you figure ? If anything , this makes it more likely Bob is not resigned . I could see the jackets trading Bob over the summer , targeting a player like Hutton, get the new goalie coach for Korpis development , and bringing Elvis over to compete for the job next year . All the signs are pointing that management has planned this way, from protecting Korpi, to getting rid of Clark, trying to get Elvis here now . I’ll be shocked if we resign Bob this summer .

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Watching the SC games it seems to me the Jackets two biggest problems are getting the puck into the zone and then not moving the puck fast enough.
The Jackets stand around waiting for a seam to open up rather than passing quickly to create the open scheme.

And LOFT for a solid 2nd unit. Zach, Jones, Cam, Bread & PLD seem fine for the 1st.

Not sure about 2nd unit personnel.
They need to have multiple powerplays meaning they need to have multiple options or outlets depending on what the other team is showing. The PP pretty much relies on Jones or Werenski making a play which is pretty much one of three things. Skating it in, dumping it in or dishing it to a guy at the blue line. Pretty easy to read and stop defensively.

We really need guys to step up this year, guys like Wennberg, Bjorkstrand and Nutti.

If guys can step up I think we nearly have two complete PPs

Panarin-Dubois-Atkinson (why split them up?)
Jones-Werenski(ditto)

??-Wennberg-Anderson
Bjorkstrand-Nutti

If I was coach I'd put Wennberg on the point at D and force him to shoot the f***ing puck every time he's on the PP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad