• 2018 Off-Season Thread •

Status
Not open for further replies.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Lol, how do you figure ? If anything , this makes it more likely Bob is not resigned . I could see the jackets trading Bob over the summer , targeting a player like Hutton, get the new goalie coach for Korpis development , and bringing Elvis over to compete for the job next year . All the signs are pointing that management has planned this way, from protecting Korpi, to getting rid of Clark, trying to get Elvis here now . I’ll be shocked if we resign Bob this summer .
This is rapidly becoming a case study in confirmation bias. "HA! You only think it disproves my theories! But if I twist around bits of the data just so, you'll see it makes me EVEN MORE ASSURED THAN EVER!"

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
^^^^^^

Where's your sniper (the Ovi or Stamkos or Bread) on the 2nd unit?

GoJackets1

Someday.
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
Will Elvis have to be protected in the next expansion draft, if he comes over before then, since he's been playing pro hockey for awhile now? And if not, then if he comes over this year and there are 2 seasons until the next expansion, then he would have to be protected regardless.

If the first scenario is true, then it would be better to have him come over now, and if not, then he should stay in Lugano for another year. This is, of course, assuming fall 2020 is Seattle's first season. Not sure on the timeline for that, however.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Will Elvis have to be protected in the next expansion draft, if he comes over before then, since he's been playing pro hockey for awhile now? And if not, then if he comes over this year and there are 2 seasons until the next expansion, then he would have to be protected regardless.

If the first scenario is true, then it would be better to have him come over now, and if not, then he should stay in Lugano for another year. This is, of course, assuming fall 2020 is Seattle's first season. Not sure on the timeline for that, however.
IIRC, the CBA defines "pro hockey" as being pro hockey leagues that the NHL has an agreement with.

Reactions: GoJackets1

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Somehow I don't equate OB with the other three. Maybe he gets there someday but not yet.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Somehow I don't equate OB with the other three. Maybe he gets there someday but not yet.

What are you expecting for the 2nd line PP? His shot is one of the best on the team..

3 pts in 6 games during the playoffs and 40 pts in 82 games averaging 14 minutes a game.

I'd bet he hits 50 this season and starts seeing closer to 16-18 minutes/game

Hes gonna get thrown back on Wennbergs line and fed top 6 minutes. Hes going to have to be an integral part of this forward group going forward if they want to compete, they can't wait another 2-3 seasons for guys like Abramov and Texier to develop.

Reactions: thebus88

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
I meant who fills that role on the proposed 2nd line. You having a bad day? You usually don't misread things like that. :huh::laugh:

I took your implication as ‘we don’t have one of those guys for the second unit, so we’re not good enough.’ I’m not sure how many teams do, though.

Your follow up posting confirms it. You don’t think of Bjorkstrand like Ovy and Stamkos? But he’s not supposed to be them. They are first-unit guys.

Reactions: Monk and thebus88

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
What are you expecting for the 2nd line PP? His shot is one of the best on the team..

3 pts in 6 games during the playoffs and 40 pts in 82 games averaging 14 minutes a game.

I'd bet he hits 50 this season and starts seeing closer to 16-18 minutes/game

Hes gonna get thrown back on Wennbergs line and fed top 6 minutes. Hes going to have to be an integral part of this forward group going forward if they want to compete, they can't wait another 2-3 seasons for guys like Abramov and Texier to develop.

I'd prefer someone with a shooting percentage slightly better than 6.7%.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I took your implication as ‘we don’t have one of those guys for the second unit, so we’re not good enough.’ I’m not sure how many teams do, though.

Your follow up posting confirms it. You don’t think of Bjorkstrand like Ovy and Stamkos? But he’s not supposed to be them. They are first-unit guys.

OK let me try again. What I originally meant was who fills the role of those guys on the 2nd unit? You know the guy who hovers around on the half boards waiting for a one timer a la the 3 first unit guys I mentioned. And if OB is that guy I sure as heck wouldn't have him up top as I think WLLDD suggested.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
OK let me try again. What I originally meant was who fills the role of those guys on the 2nd unit? You know the guy who hovers around on the half boards waiting for a one timer a la the 3 first unit guys I mentioned. And if OB is that guy I sure as heck wouldn't have him up top as I think WLLDD suggested.

OK but for the sake of comparison you should say who plays the role of *insert another team's second unit sniper here* for the Jackets.

Reactions: Viqsi

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan

The players, play. The players, shoot. NOT the decimal points and percentages.

While you could say Bjorkstrand has had a somewhat "rough" time so far finding or getting into "dangerous areas", he is a dangerous offensive player at the NHL level and "worthy" of getting regular PP time, whether on a '1st unit' (replacing Wennberg) or being one of the "trigger men" on a '2nd unit'. I'd consider him our 3rd best goal scorer(maybe "offensive player") but he has a better shot than Atkinson, and is NOT that far off behind Panarin. A better shooter (not quite "goal scorer") than 85-90% of the NHL.

While it seems there is more talk about Milano, to me, Bjorkstrand is the guy I hope and believe can take the "next step" in the next year or 2.

Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
Bjork would be helped by playing with a center who also can and will shoot the puck such as ROR. I think Wennberg's reluctance shoot impacts the effectiveness of the wings on his line. For example, Milano looked much better when playing with Foligno as his centerman than he did with Weinberg. I just think the second line needs a more offensively thinking forward than Wennberg.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
Lol, how do you figure ? If anything , this makes it more likely Bob is not resigned . I could see the jackets trading Bob over the summer , targeting a player like Hutton, get the new goalie coach for Korpis development , and bringing Elvis over to compete for the job next year .
Trading a 2x Vezina winner and getting a 32 year old back up to play.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
It seems to me on one hand foolish to be discussing moving/replacing Bobrovsky, given what he's done for this team thus far. But the question about his performance in the playoffs is a legitimate one, and concern about his next contract and how it impacts the salary cap is, IMO, totally fair. The additional question after this playoffs is whether Bob was really any different from any goalie not named Holtby or Fleury.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Man, i remember Flower first 7 playoffs with Pens... In his 7 postseasons he was above .900% 2 times only.

That's part of the answer, but not all of it. Also, I was referring specifically to this playoffs. Everyone gave up goals it seemed, so maybe it's hard to see that this was improved playoff Bob.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
The players, play. The players, shoot. NOT the decimal points and percentages.
This is a bit of a silly position to take given that those "decimal points and percentages" are just a way of measuring just how well the player in question is shooting.

That said, I do think he's going to start doing better as time goes on.

CBJFan827

I hate you Brad Marchand
Jul 19, 2006
OK but for the sake of comparison you should say who plays the role of *insert another team's second unit sniper here* for the Jackets.

I disagree. Espen is talking schemes, and I think the way they went about it was fine and clear. Granted, talking schemes with this current coaching staff is a little silly, as Torts' teams have a long track record of average at best power play scoring.

Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Well his career% is over 8%.

But last season was his first full season, he still has room to grow. I don't understand why you wouldn't want him on the point? He's just as skilled at passing and making plays as he is shooting. I'd feel pretty confident in Wennberg, Nutti and Bjorkstrand running the 2nd PP

Name somebody better on the team than Bjorkstrand to fill that role. .

Kukan? Murray? Savard? Definitely not any of Jenner, Foligno or Dubinsky.

If you'd rather split the first D pairing up thats understandable, but I don't think there's a need to.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Well his career% is over 8%.

But last season was his first full season, he still has room to grow. I don't understand why you wouldn't want him on the point? He's just as skilled at passing and making plays as he is shooting. I'd feel pretty confident in Wennberg, Nutti and Bjorkstrand running the 2nd PP

Name somebody better on the team than Bjorkstrand to fill that role. .

Kukan? Murray? Savard? Definitely not any of Jenner, Foligno or Dubinsky.

If you'd rather split the first D pairing up thats understandable, but I don't think there's a need to.
All the more reason to aquire a true number 1/2 center , we lack snipers , so when you have a center that averages 8 goals per season (Wennberg) , and refuses to shoot the puck and he’s your number 2 center , you have major issues scoring goals . Imagine where this team would have been this year , if PLD would have been the typical rookie trying to make his way into the nhl . Without that , we’re possibly looking at a lottery pick this season .

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
All the more reason to aquire a true number 1/2 center , we lack snipers , so when you have a center that averages 8 goals per season (Wennberg) , and refuses to shoot the puck and he’s your number 2 center , you have major issues scoring goals . Imagine where this team would have been this year , if PLD would have been the typical rookie trying to make his way into the nhl . Without that , we’re possibly looking at a lottery pick this season .
"Yes, some things went wrong, and some things went right. But imagine what could have happened if MORE things went wrong and LESS things went right!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad