Rumor: “Canucks working the Phones, Trying to make a trade” — Dhaliwal

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
Coghlan for Podkolzin...no backsies...we'll even throw in one of our highly coveted "future considerations" that helped Vegas to a Cup last year!!!

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
Well none of their players would return a top pairing RD except Pettersson or Hughes.

I guess they could trade away some more first round picks. That would seem prudent.
1696609548550.png

We might have an issue with available spots/log jam in our D now (odd...). Since you need RD, I proposed Ghost in our threads, not sure how that will go. Would that be of any interest to start a discussion? Just curious.

NOTENOUGHRYJOTHINGS

Oct 23, 2022
Vancouver needs a cap in cap out trade for a solid RHD.

Or they need to dump cap separately and then trade for RHD.

Meanwhile they have a healthy motivated Myers waiting to set the league on fire.

No move is the best move for the VCRs

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Here comes the big Ben Chiarot for Conor Garland trade!!! Lol. Don’t know how much he’ll help the right side, but he can play both!!

In all seriousness though… Detroit has to be trying to trade either Chiarot or Maatta over the next few days, as Edvinsson has earned his spot. My guess is, it’s Maatta they’ll move..

That’s a player nobody should be surprised if he ends up in Vancouver.

Maatta did help Hronek a ton last year. They’d have to move someone else to the right side but we’ve seen it 1000 times over the years. Cole can play the right side without a hiccup.

Would Maatta for Garland surprise anyone?? It shouldn’t. It makes the Canucks blue line better than it is today, and that’s what matters the most. He’s the perfect partner for Hronek. If people look back at their numbers before the pair was broken up last December, they were a top 10 pair in the league.

I’d try to get Maatta for something other than Garland, but not sure what that would be. Could it be Maatta for Myers and Podkolzin? Something like that? Then Detroit would just send Myers down. I’d keep an eye on Maatta to the Canucks in some form.
Maata would be a good pickup at the right price but it doesn’t solve the Canucks’ issue that Tocchet wants a right shot alongside Hughes.

Reactions: Petes2424

innitfam

Oct 18, 2017
hes American/ you think he wants to live in Vancouver over Nashville?

the boy waives in a new york minute
Why would he negotiate an NMC if he was willy nilly about waiving it?

Also based on his personality he wants to win more than anything, and Nashville and Vancouver are in a similar place for that, so why would he uproot his family?

Reactions: Nucklehead Supreme

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
More draft capital because the Canucks don’t have prospects worth anything to get what they want. No one is going to take Hoglander and give Vancouver a top 4 RHD.

Wrong
They have prospects to get what they want, it would just be stupid to do so.

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
I mean sure. Pettersson did say he wants out if the team sucks so I guess you do have an asset...
We had Luke Schenn excel as a partner with Hughes as 1RD, what did he cost the Canucks? Canucks don’t need a top defenceman in the league, they need a good complimentary player for Hughes

Reactions: Nucklehead Supreme

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
May I interest you in a cap retained, freshly minted (in it's own way) Ben Chiarot?

If Luke Schenn did well with Hughes, Chiarot plays the same way sooo

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I wouldn't mind trying to nab Pod as a project. If that's not how Vancouver is valuing him though, I'm OK not crossing that bridge until later. Flames have some prospects that might be interesting and I was actually thinking if maybe talking to each other for a Granlund v Shinkaruk type swap (Vanc win) or a Baertschi v pick type swap (Calgary win) could work. Leaning towards the idea that for Pod it'd be something in between the two?

TBH, part of the primary reason I'd target Pod is if Zadorov agrees to extend in Calgary for a reasonable deal and I'd like to expand Calgary's Flames Russian roster/prospect community (previously didn't really do Russian players or prospects for almost two decades).

Pod for 2nd/3rd + B/A prospect is the idea I'd love to contemplate to see if there's a fit. I'm OK if this is more of a next off season type move or TDL type move though.

I still don't understand why you guys didn't pay Tanev, its not like he was asking for the moon.

Worked out for the Flames. I'm not opposed to more Canuck options. I feel like Calgary has some stuff that works better for the Canucks and vice versa.

I was also thinking about this when I saw the thread the other day. I'd rather keep Tanev unless he truly wants to go back to Vancouver, but I'd be curious if Vancouver should call Toronto and inquire about Brodie.

Not a RHS, but should be a useful RD that still possibly could synergize with Hughes on the top line. At the least I think Brodie should be better than Myers as a partner and at worst on par with Hronek while still being inexpensive to acquire. Unsure if Brodie would want to move to Vancouver though (wife's has MS, needs warmer weather to be more comfortable for the illness but also unsure if the fact they have family in the Toronto area is part of that comfort). Toronto fans seem to imply he could be an odd man out due to their d corps situation soon.

Looking above, it seems like a similar idea has popped up with Schmidt.

Guardian452

Jun 10, 2011
I still don't understand why you guys didn't pay Tanev, its not like he was asking for the moon.

Cause the previous guy had FOMO when he heard Vegas needed to unload Nathan Schmit and blew off Tanev and Tofolli while he negotiated the trade for Schmit.

Reactions: bh53

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Probably working the phones to see what is flushing out of teams rosters as the last days before cuts come. Depth RD have been bad at camp with the exception of McWard who doesn't require waivers so they have a spot if it's a good fit

Given the fact they are not at the front of the line for Waivers may be willing to trade assets if the price is right

I suspect a RD like Pachal Fabbro and Coghlan would be of interest as a stop gap.

Barrie for Garland would be good cap move also

Reactions: Frankie Blueberries

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
The Canucks need someone to play with Quinn Hughes in the top 4, not a true top 4 in that sense. A defensively solid RD would go a long way, they don't need much in the way of production from that spot.

Canucks don't have a ton of expendable assets to offer, not sure what a package would look like, but the cost of what they are looking for is lower than a true #4 RD.

Reactions: bh53

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad