Rumor: “Canucks working the Phones, Trying to make a trade” — Dhaliwal

oceanchild

Jul 5, 2009
Whitehorse, YT
it was not clear. sportsnet, espn and other outlets had tkachuk only 2 to 3 spots ranked higher. thats not a lot. the pick boils down to "sh@!×t happens" the top 10 always has guys movin around a few spots
No, that draft had a top 4 and it was then Dubois and then everyone else. You may recall that Columbus was seen as reaching for Dubois at 3 and Laine and Matthews were a lock for 1 & 2 and Pool Party then Tkachuk were the other two in that top 4.

Your response is like saying that McDavid had he not gone first overall and had went second would be no big deal as it was close to his rankings. It was very, very, very clear that the Canucks had been gifted Tkachuk and they F@“led it up.

oceanchild

Jul 5, 2009
Whitehorse, YT
I mean in this case Benning would have taken Glass, if Linden didn't go with the scouts. Which ended up with some guys getting fired so Benning could regain firm control on drafting.

Normally a GM sits back and let's his scouts draft, aside from maybe giving input on the 1st, but in Bennings case he wears this. He was supposed to be this expert scout, and it's something he enjoyed doing as he personally got involved in so much of it. Scouts had to feed up the chain to him who they liked, and he'd go have the final look himself. Often leading to decisions based on his own limited viewing, and in this case he saw Juolevi at the world juniors and decided there.

Thing was he wasnt actually a good scout, and had an arrogant 'I know better' attitude. For that draft there was no question that Tkachuk was the BPA at that point, with it being up in the air after him but Juevi certainly in the mix. But genius scout Jim Benning passed on the obvious and chose from the next group the worst of the lot.
I would give this two likes if I could. Nail meet hammer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad